Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #176  
Old 04-08-2010, 08:45 AM
fonger fonger is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci
For those who had refilled the DEF on their own using non-bmw bottles, did you need any additional tools to refill it like say a funnel? Also how much stuff do you have to remove to get access to the Passive Tank?
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Scot Scot is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: a bit of everything
a funnel works great...........air intake needs to be removed to access fill point for passive tank...............easy peasy
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 04-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Engine66 Engine66 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dana Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: Ordered BMW 335d & X5
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
That's because only the Mafia bought the town car..........and even Ford was smart enough not to mess with that customer base........... I wonder if there is a Town Car forum? I can only imagine the threads........"have any of youz guyz had da problem wit da Map thingy not been able to understand you voiczes?

I can only imagine what their posting names would be................. any suggestions ??
Well, sounds like you need to "recruit" some of deez guyz into buying 35ds to beef up our ranks. You're in Boston...go to the North End with some good cigars and make it happen. Capiche? (Don't wear a wire)
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Engine66 Engine66 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dana Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: Ordered BMW 335d & X5
I spoke to a service rep today and he explained a couple things. The DEF is 66% ionized water and 33% urea, so it the passive tank/supply lines can freeze, causing the warning. Also, both tanks are filled at factory and you "should" get 10K miles before a refill. The front tank can be filled by a DIY, the passive tank port is located in rear and requires more time by using a hand operated transfer pump that you can get at a hardware store. Lastly, he said once the vehicle is driven the sensors drop to 66% and continue to fall from there per the mileage...a way for BMW to be extra conservative on the level so the customer does not run out. So, there's actually more DEF than indicated. He had no issues to report and the diesel has been trouble free so far. Anyone else have the same info??? We have one on order...hope this works out.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 04-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Scot Scot is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: a bit of everything
So when you motor up Green Lantern with your 35d.......you'll be amazed at the torque getting you up the hill..........and everyone at the Chart House will be impressed that you drive a truley green car with style.......not a Prius like everyone else in the parking lot................ I was in the North End the other evening.....even the valet on Hanover street was impressed with the Diesel.........
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 04-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Funf Dreisig Funf Dreisig is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 404
Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine66 View Post
I spoke to a service rep today and he explained a couple things. ... The front tank can be filled by a DIY, the passive tank port is located in rear and requires more time by using a hand operated transfer pump that you can get at a hardware store....
The passive tank on a 335d is in the rear fender well as described by your service rep. BUT...

The passive tank on a X5 is located under the left front seat. The passive tank filler fitting is in the engine compartment partially obscured by the corrugated plastic air tube, which can be easily removed without tools. So you can easily fill it (DIY) since it has the same filler fitting as the small tank.

Funf Dresig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEF System.png
Views:	270
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	225536  

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 04-09-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Engine66 Engine66 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dana Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: Ordered BMW 335d & X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
The passive tank on a 335d is in the rear fender well as described by your service rep. BUT...

The passive tank on a X5 is located under the left front seat. The passive tank filler fitting is in the engine compartment partially obscured by the corrugated plastic air tube, which can be easily removed without tools. So you can easily fill it (DIY) since it has the same filler fitting as the small tank.

Funf Dresig
Thanks for clarifying...I was given the wrong info...this is good really, since it seems to be fairly easy to access this port and refill the passive tank to it's capacity if needed. However, how easy is it to access the active/primary port for the emergency fill?
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Engine66 Engine66 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dana Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: Ordered BMW 335d & X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
So when you motor up Green Lantern with your 35d.......you'll be amazed at the torque getting you up the hill..........and everyone at the Chart House will be impressed that you drive a truley green car with style.......not a Prius like everyone else in the parking lot................ I was in the North End the other evening.....even the valet on Hanover street was impressed with the Diesel.........


So you have played in my backyard...I am LMAF right now! I make it to yours as often as possible whenever I fly into Logan and stop in Regina's, Mike's Pastry's, the Daily Catch (on Hanover), the Barking Crab, and few other places I can't recall the names...just can't get that authentic stuff here. Don't forget those cigars next time you go...Cheers Scot!
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 04-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Scot Scot is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: a bit of everything
grew up in Tustin.....USC alum......... Barking Crab.....our favorite out of town guest spot in the summer......forget Mike's ............go across the street to Modern Pastry........Daily Catch is good...........
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Funf Dreisig Funf Dreisig is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 404
Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine66 View Post
Thanks for clarifying...I was given the wrong info...this is good really, since it seems to be fairly easy to access this port and refill the passive tank to it's capacity if needed. However, how easy is it to access the active/primary port for the emergency fill?
The active tank fill port is extremely easy to access. But it is not labeled - duh? It's the black thing in the middle of the attached picture. In theory you need to use the red handled tool (stored under the cargo bay floor boards) to open the cap. But I can open mine with my fingers.

The passive fill port is identical. But it is on the other side of the engine tucked under the air intake tube.

Funf Dreisig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Active Filler.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	225542  

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 04-09-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 04-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Engine66 Engine66 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dana Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: Ordered BMW 335d & X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
The active tank fill port is extremely easy to access. But it is not labeled - duh? It's the black thing in the middle of the attached picture. In theory you need to use the red handled tool (stored under the cargo bay floor boards) to open the cap. But I can open mine with my fingers.

The passive fill port is identical. But it is on the other side of the engine tucked under the air intake tube.

Funf Dreisig
Wunderbar...Thank you Funf!
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 04-30-2010, 12:44 PM
hnemets hnemets is offline
Client Advisor
Location: Nashville
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 525i/K1200LT/2008 Z4 3.0s
No but a problem exists with diesels passing emissions .... Anyone know anything regarding this snafu?
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 AM
NewGTGuy NewGTGuy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bellevue, WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 130
Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyrock View Post
I just bought a 2010 X5 35d, took delivery a couple of weeks ago, and I just received the same message with only 900 miles on my car! Thank you for the helpful comments; I'll post the results of my service experience. I can hardly wait.
I also got the message when accelerating hard around a corner at 1100 miles. Well, I now have 3000 miles and haven't seen another warning. I did buy a few gallons of DEF just in case, but I think it was an anomaly.
__________________
2010 X5 35d, Black Sapphire / Sand Beige Nevada / Premium / Cold Weather / Tech / Rear Climate / Premium Sound / Sport Activity / Roof Rails / Running boards / iPhone Snap-in Adaptor / HUD / Comfort Access / iPod and USB / Space-Saver Spare
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 05-09-2010, 07:26 PM
dtanner dtanner is offline
Registered User
Location: Big Canoe, Georgia
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Yes, I've had the problem 3 times and the dealer had to work with BMW to fix the problem. It had to be towed today with engine malfunction...power reduced issues. Have you experienced this problem?
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 AM
NewGTGuy NewGTGuy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bellevue, WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 130
Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtanner View Post
Yes, I've had the problem 3 times and the dealer had to work with BMW to fix the problem. It had to be towed today with engine malfunction...power reduced issues. Have you experienced this problem?
I haven't. I did get the DEF warning again today. It still said 999 miles to "no start." I've got enough stored in the car to FILL the small tank, so I'm not worried...

I've actually had zero issues (knock on wood) with the car and I'm coming up on 4k miles. Also, I've now left the car sitting in the garage for two week and it started instantly when I returned...
__________________
2010 X5 35d, Black Sapphire / Sand Beige Nevada / Premium / Cold Weather / Tech / Rear Climate / Premium Sound / Sport Activity / Roof Rails / Running boards / iPhone Snap-in Adaptor / HUD / Comfort Access / iPod and USB / Space-Saver Spare
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Joegoesfishing Joegoesfishing is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: 08 Cad CTS DI-67 Olds 455
New GT - I don't think you should be getting recurring Low DEF warnings, especially not at 4000 miles. I went over 11,000 miles before getting the warning after a top off at oil change. I don't imagine you are still freezing the tank this time of year. Just some thoughts.
__________________
2009 X5 35D Black Sapphire Tobacco Nevada
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 AM
georgejm georgejm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 633
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
The longer I wait for the 2011 X5 35d and the more I read here and Xoutpost I can't help but question what is it that I'm doing. Exhaust urea, battery, comfort access, window, Nav, and a host of others all for the low low price of $70,000.00. This is my first BMW and while I like adventures I like them fun and exciting. The folks that run BMW act as if they doing me a favor and that doesn't sit well with me at all. I guess I will find out what all the fuss is about owning a bimmer, if I don't walk while waiting.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 05-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Marlbro's Avatar
Marlbro Marlbro is offline
UK (ex-Pat)
Location: Limburg, Belgium
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 336
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
The longer I wait for the 2011 X5 35d and the more I read here and Xoutpost I can't help but question what is it that I'm doing. Exhaust urea, battery, comfort access, window, Nav, and a host of others all for the low low price of $70,000.00. This is my first BMW and while I like adventures I like them fun and exciting. The folks that run BMW act as if they doing me a favor and that doesn't sit well with me at all. I guess I will find out what all the fuss is about owning a bimmer, if I don't walk while waiting.
I was going to say Welcome to the club.... but you know what I mean !!!!
Yes, BMW are an arrogant bunch of Assh@#es that build great cars.....
Maybe that gives them the right ????........But we all want to drive one don't we !

Your waiting must be almost over, and soon you will truely be one of the BMW Club members.

PS. i don't like calling it a Bimmer, it sounds like something you plug into your computer
__________________

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 AM
georgejm georgejm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 633
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbro View Post
I was going to say Welcome to the club.... but you know what I mean !!!!
Yes, BMW are an arrogant bunch of Assh@#es that build great cars.....
Maybe that gives them the right ????........But we all want to drive one don't we !

Your waiting must be almost over, and soon you will truely be one of the BMW Club members.

PS. i don't like calling it a Bimmer, it sounds like something you plug into your computer
I strongly believe BMW's are pure driving machines and that's what I'm willing to pay for. The more they try to add creature comforts the more problems they create, they are not good at that so it seems (although I loaded mine up, lol). I have a 08 4 x 4 Chevy (diesel) for hauling, 09 LS460, and a 08 Porsche Cayman which is a blast to drive and all three only see the service dept. when the mileage dictates. My goal is not to spend seventy grand so I can experience misery, I enjoy life too much. I just sold an 07 Infiniti M Sport, another fun machine with no service problems so my expectations have a high mark and I will not except being bullied and BS by a BMW SA's or it will be a quick ownership.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:35 PM
WDC330i WDC330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DC
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 342
Mein Auto: '12 328iT Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
The longer I wait for the 2011 X5 35d and the more I read here and Xoutpost I can't help but question what is it that I'm doing. Exhaust urea, battery, comfort access, window, Nav, and a host of others all for the low low price of $70,000.00. This is my first BMW and while I like adventures I like them fun and exciting. The folks that run BMW act as if they doing me a favor and that doesn't sit well with me at all. I guess I will find out what all the fuss is about owning a bimmer, if I don't walk while waiting.
My 2009 X5 3.0 has been the best of the seven BMWs I've had. One problem with NAV; fixed.
__________________
In the garage:
'09 X5 Sport (Mineral Green) / '12 328iT Sport (Deep Sea Blue)
Previous:
'06 M3C (Jet Black)
'06 530xiT (Titanium Gray)
'03 325xiT (Topaz)
'02 330i sport (Jet Black)
'01 330i (Jet Black)
'01 Z3 (Topaz)
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:46 PM
georgejm georgejm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 633
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDC330i View Post
My 2009 X5 3.0 has been the best of the seven BMWs I've had. One problem with NAV; fixed.
Hey, as long as the pleasure makes the pain go away...... it's good
Best of seven huh, well..
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
My 2009 X5 35d was the worst BMW I've owned. It will be my last. I was in the shop over ten times in one year, 6000 miles. I waited 3 months for an air temp. sensor to fix a check engine light. I drove around 3 months in a new car waiting on a part. I waited another 5 weeks for a heated fuel filter. Boht times, I had to call BMWNA and complain. I also own a Lexus LS 460 and now own a 2010 Lexus GX 4
Premium. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have purchased the X5 diesel. My local dealer also tried to charge me 200.00 for the diesel exhaust fluid flush and fill that should be done once a year, or every 11,000 miles. That was the last straw.

BTW, this was my 4th BMW and my last...

I also forgot to mention, my battery wouldn't stay charged. The dealer and BMW say I didn't drive it enough. I had to keep a battery charger on it every night.

Good luck with your decision,

Craig

Last edited by Craig B; 05-12-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
georgejm georgejm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 633
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
My 2009 X5 35d was the worst BMW I've owned. It will be my last. I was in the shop over ten times in one year, 6000 miles. I waited 3 months for an air temp. sensor to fix a check engine light. I drove around 3 months in a new car waiting on a part. I waited another 5 weeks for a heated fuel filter. Boht times, I had to call BMWNA and complain. I also own a Lexus LS 460 and now own a 2010 Lexus GX 4
Premium. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have purchased the X5 diesel. My local dealer also tried to charge me 200.00 for the diesel exhaust fluid flush and fill that should be done once a year, or every 11,000 miles. That was the last straw.

BTW, this was my 4th BMW and my last...

Good luck with your decision,

Craig
Wow, I see, buying one could be like playing Russian roulette I suppose. Too bad the MDX is sooo butt ugly.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
WDC330i WDC330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DC
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 342
Mein Auto: '12 328iT Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
My 2009 X5 35d was the worst BMW I've owned. It will be my last. I was in the shop over ten times in one year, 6000 miles. I waited 3 months for an air temp. sensor to fix a check engine light. I drove around 3 months in a new car waiting on a part. I waited another 5 weeks for a heated fuel filter. Boht times, I had to call BMWNA and complain. I also own a Lexus LS 460 and now own a 2010 Lexus GX 4
Premium. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have purchased the X5 diesel. My local dealer also tried to charge me 200.00 for the diesel exhaust fluid flush and fill that should be done once a year, or every 11,000 miles. That was the last straw.

BTW, this was my 4th BMW and my last...

Good luck with your decision,

Craig

The woes of being an early adopter. I passed on the diesel, even though it was just coming out as I ordered my gas burner. I wanted them to work the kinks out first.
__________________
In the garage:
'09 X5 Sport (Mineral Green) / '12 328iT Sport (Deep Sea Blue)
Previous:
'06 M3C (Jet Black)
'06 530xiT (Titanium Gray)
'03 325xiT (Topaz)
'02 330i sport (Jet Black)
'01 330i (Jet Black)
'01 Z3 (Topaz)
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDC330i View Post
The woes of being an early adopter. I passed on the diesel, even though it was just coming out as I ordered my gas burner. I wanted them to work the kinks out first.
I think I had most of the kinks worked out by the time I got rid of mine. I'm glad it's gone, I was spending too much of my time at the dealership...

Craig
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms