Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5
help - P0174&P0171 System to Lean codes

Service Engine Soon warning is lit on my car. The codes are:

P0174 and P0171 System to Lean (bank 1 and bank 2)

Anyone else experience this on a X3? The car is an 05 X3 w/ <50k. From what I've read online on other boards it could be an O2 sensors, MAF sensor, or a vacuum leak. The car appears to run fine without any problems. I checked the oil fill and dipstick plugs and they seemed tight. I checked the air filter today - it appeared dirty so I replaced it (though that would probably make it too rich, rather than lean). Bring it in next week.

I had another post about the how to use the OBD reader that kind of migrated to this. Sorry for the double post (no flames please) - just thought this may grab more peoples attention.

td
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Mine threw a code for mixture too lean at about 45k miles. Previous owner had put a non-BMW air filter. Dealer said there's a SIB for this. They put a BMW filter and reset the light. Problem solved. Check your air filter!
Old 03-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
I had the same codes on a generic reader and it turned out to be a cracked intake boot.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Mine threw a code for mixture too lean at about 45k miles. Previous owner had put a non-BMW air filter. Dealer said there's a SIB for this. They put a BMW filter and reset the light. Problem solved. Check your air filter!

Air filter looked dirt, but original. I replaced it with a new one
Old 03-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
Air filter looked dirt, but original. I replaced it with a new one
Did you reset the SES? If not go ahead and reset it to see if it comes back again. Wouldn't hurt to check for crack on intake boot as suggested above, and vacuum leaks in general.

Ooops didn't read the part that you already checked the filter on your first post....sorry

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 03-06-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: oops
Old 03-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I had similar codes about a month ago. Mine was an O2 sensor and clogged fuel filter.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 30i
My wife's '04 threw those codes a few weeks ago. Took it to my independent shop. They cleared the codes, said it could be any of the issues mentioned above, and bet me the codes would come back within 50 miles. They haven't.

Have it cleared, it might not come back.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:44 PM

I just checked the oil cap - it may have been crossed threaded. Hopefully that and the new air filter will cure it. Does anybody no if the light will shut itself off after a couple of cycles if the fault ceases to exist?

I have a code reader and could reset it if I wanted to, but I'm going wait until I bring it into the dealer next Saturday. If there is something wrong with it, I'll want it fixed while it is still under warranty for the next 6k miles.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:36 AM

bringing this post back. Just brought the X3 in for the two codes I was told that the MAF sensor is fine and they couldn't find an vacuum leaks. I need to bring it back Wed so they can do a smoke test....
Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: ??
i did 2 weeks ago...the car is CPO so took it in...they replaced the crank case valve under warranty and all hoses to that valve (which is NOT covered under CPO).....drove it for 3 days and the SES light came back on.....with the same code on a generic reader........(after spending $300) so i am pretty annoyed rite now....(called and left a msg with the SA this morning)

Dadadave: you havent seen the light come back on yet because the OBDII have not ran throught the complete 'cycle' yet....the OBDII have a specific drive cycle/conditions/parameters (ie drive from 20-40mph for 15 sec...then stop etc etc) that it must complete before it'll throw a 'code' some drivers may take 1000+ miles before it can complete such cycle....some quicker....it all depends if the driving conditions that you did have completed all of the conditions/parameters......for me.....i usually will see a code when i get stuck in traffic (going less than or around 25 mph...or stop and go traffic for a while) because the daily commute that i have is 'traffic free'

anyhow will keep you all updated when i know more
4 doors -'01 BMW 325i E46 -'96 MBZ C280 Sport
no doors- 00' Suki GS500
Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 AM

My car is still under the factory warranty do hopefully I won't have any claim issues.

Vodka G - did you're car have any other symptoms. Usually with a bad CCV you get oil burning and smoke. You wouldn't know anything is wrong with my car the way it is running.

I'll let you know after Wednesday
Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
My car is still under the factory warranty do hopefully I won't have any claim issues.

Vodka G - did you're car have any other symptoms. Usually with a bad CCV you get oil burning and smoke. You wouldn't know anything is wrong with my car the way it is running.

I'll let you know after Wednesday
nope no oil buring etc etc and that's why i was REALLY skeptical when they had to replace that valve and having me pay for all the hoses.....

this time i am going back in and they BETTER not charge me ANYTHING else...caz i aint paying a DIME for anything ....not even the CPO $50 deduct. since is the SAME issue (within 3 days)
no doors- 00' Suki GS500
Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Well wasted 2 hours last saturday while the technicians checked my car for the codes and was told that the MAF sensor was ok and I had to bring it back Wed for a smoke test, I found out today that I got a new MAF sensor.

I'm hoping that cures the problem and it does not come back - we'll see. I also requested the new diversity antennae. Hopefully the remote key will work downtown Boston now.

I did have the pleasure of driving a loaner 2008 328x for the last two days. What a car! Handles beautifully and fast (has to have more than the BMW specified 230 hp). A 335 w/ sport package must be incredible
Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM

they did the smoke test- found nothing

they also replaced the MAF and read the values (while driving).....- no sig. diff old vs new MAF

the last thing they did was reprogrammed the DME......with the most updated version etc.....and so far the light has not come back on......(been 3 days) i also notice the car drives better (better shift, and MPG) and also the key remote works better (long distance)

i dunno this could all be my imigination....or whatever......but so far is fine.....gonan bring it back again tomorrow to make sure nothing is coming up
no doors- 00' Suki GS500
Old 03-24-2009, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 30i
Glad to hear it's going good. My wife still hasn't gotten the light back.

I had mine in to have the DME updated too. The F-ing dealer bricked the computer and a 1 day service turned into 9 days (had to remove the computer and mail to BMW in NJ) Meanwhile they were "nice enough" to give me a PT Cruiser from Enterprise (WTF, no loaner??). Ugh.

But the reprogram is really nice! Smooth shifts, seems zippier.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadadave View Post
Glad to hear it's going good. My wife still hasn't gotten the light back.

I had mine in to have the DME updated too. The F-ing dealer bricked the computer and a 1 day service turned into 9 days (had to remove the computer and mail to BMW in NJ) Meanwhile they were "nice enough" to give me a PT Cruiser from Enterprise (WTF, no loaner??). Ugh.

But the reprogram is really nice! Smooth shifts, seems zippier.
yeah i that happened to my co-worker 2005 X3 3.0...she was in for a reporgramming and BANG the DME locked up and they had to ship the whole thing back to NJ

PT cruiser?? i had this POS Caliber last time and it squeek, clunck, etc etc everytime i turn or hit a bump lolsss (and yes is from enterprise as well)
no doors- 00' Suki GS500
Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: x3, x5, 911 Turbo
I got the same codes on my '05 2.5 (70k miles, ECU was reprogramed a while back). The car had been in the desert with lots of dust and grit.

Then I got a Peake Perf. reader re-read it and found 1) Mechanically stuck Idle Cont. Valve, 2) Fuel Rail Pressure out of spec 3) Fuel Press Reg fault.

I pulled the ICV and found it to be free......cleaned and re installed, same fault.

The Fuel Press looks like a new Filter/Regulator unit. Both on the way......we'll see how it goes.

Had alraedy cleaned the MAF to no effect.

Thanks,
MK