Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:52 AM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

Mein Auto: 02 M Roadster
Body paint/clear coat by pint/quart? How to get?

I want to get paint and clear coat for my car (354 Titanium Silver Metallic) in larger quantity than the BMW touch up bottles. I called my dealer and they don't sell it otherwise.

Obviously body shops can get it. How/where can I get it? I want about a pint/quart of each.

Thanks

2002 Titanium/Black M Roadster (Ground Control suspension, ACS Exhaust, Sharked, CL Strong Strut, BMW Aluminium Pedals, Porterfield R4S's, a bunch of other mods)

Ads by Google
Old 07-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZNorth
I want to get paint and clear coat for my car (354 Titanium Silver Metallic) in larger quantity than the BMW touch up bottles. I called my dealer and they don't sell it otherwise.

Obviously body shops can get it. How/where can I get it? I want about a pint/quart of each.

Thanks

from the same place they do, look in the Yellow Pages under "Automobile Body Shop Equipment & Supplies"
Old 07-15-2003, 01:26 PM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

Duh!

Yes, I just happened to get back from one. They had my original code plus two variations. Best match was one of the variations. Ordered an aerosol can for about $14.30 US.

2002 Titanium/Black M Roadster (Ground Control suspension, ACS Exhaust, Sharked, CL Strong Strut, BMW Aluminium Pedals, Porterfield R4S's, a bunch of other mods)

Last edited by MZNorth; 07-15-2003 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:08 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Best thing with metallics is to take the car to the paint shop. A good paint shop can match the color exactly for any variations due to metallic content (changes as they go through a btach of paint), batch to batch variations, and even any fading.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 07-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

Self painted door handles - End result

When the clear coat cures more I'll polish and wax them. Very happy with the results. I think the car looks better and others agree so far.

Ignore the dirt in the close up - pic was taken early this morning before I washed the car.

Last edited by MZNorth; 07-17-2003 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZNorth View Post
Yes, I just happened to get back from one. They had my original code plus two variations. Best match was one of the variations. Ordered an aerosol can for about $14.30 US.
Where did you get the aerosol can?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
Go to the NAPA paint counter, tell them to match it with Martin Senour, not the cheap "crossfire"line.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bryce View Post
Go to the NAPA paint counter, tell them to match it with Martin Senour, not the cheap "crossfire"line.
There seems to be only three lines out of the Martin Senour--which one?

* Vortex® Premium Waterborne Refinish System
* TEC/BASE® Premium Refinish System
* Crossfire® High Production Refinish System

http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.co...on-Repair.aspx

Do they mix it or should there be one clone of the "354 Titanium Silver Metallic?"

Thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
There seems to be only three lines out of the Martin Senour--which one?

* Vortex® Premium Waterborne Refinish System
* TEC/BASE® Premium Refinish System
* Crossfire® High Production Refinish System

http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.co...on-Repair.aspx

Do they mix it or should there be one clone of the "354 Titanium Silver Metallic?"

Thanks
At the shop we shoot Tec/Base. They can mix it by code but there tend to be variations. Best bet is to take the car with you and ask them to bring the Dominator out and check it. They can then choose how to mix it based on the difference between what the Dominatorreads and what the codes call for
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bryce View Post
At the shop we shoot Tec/Base. They can mix it by code but there tend to be variations. Best bet is to take the car with you and ask them to bring the Dominator out and check it. They can then choose how to mix it based on the difference between what the Dominatorreads and what the codes call for
Thanks--I'll stop by Napa tomorrow afternoon to check it out.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Don't forget to get the right color primer!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
Don't forget to get the right color primer!
Primer? What if the piece is already primed from BMW, just not painted? At least it looks primed. It's the trunk lid handle off an E46.

So I stopped by Napa...they didn't have a paints part counter per se...not sure if any of them in town has one, but the rep did phone a paint shop they consult with. She said the pint of the 354 Titanium Silver Metallic is about $23. The paint shop told her that the dominator thing will be coming with two cans and would be more...something about tri-color?

I told her how I read on the forums that this dominator thing sounds like a device that does the measuring of some kind and described it like Bryce.

I was going to tell her to just order the pint but she asked if I wanted to check with the body shop down the road for a quote since I mentioned that I may as well just toss it to the body shop to paint it. It's a piece about two feet long by an inch an a half. I just wonder if the body shop would charge me an arm and leg for painting a piece of this size.

The good thing is that I have the existing trunk lid handle piece to just take off and bring them along with that new piece. If I had to take the whole car to them now, then I'll just forget it since today was the last day I drive her before I make her a garage queen for a couple of months.

In the end, I was just thinking about getting the paint and just dipping the piece to get the OEM like finish, but this seems more of a hassle than it maybe worth. I guess I will get around to stopping by the body shop when I have time