Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 645CI
New 645ci owner

I recently part ex'd my 330ci, which I owned for around 10 months, for a 2004 645ci. The 330 was in brilliant condition, however, I have always wanted a v8, and although initially I was looking at e46 m3/e39 m5s, this made more sense in terms of cost and it felt a lot more luxurious.

A pic during a long run:

The engine bay was filthy:

So I gave that a clean:

And cleaned the rest of the car:

Ideally I would have a different coloured dash and centre console, as I really don't like the grey, but the car was well known to BMW and only had 52k on the clock so I decided I could live with it:

Came with the factory fitted phone:

And the string was broken on the gas cap, so bought a new one from the dealers for 20:

Got it booked in to have the exhaust modded for a bit more sound, and toying with the idea of having the MP3 enabled by the dealer, at a cost of 218 :S

Mods wise, I would like some alloy pedals and the LCI rear lights. Other than that I think it will all just be maintenance, but we'll see._a2_
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2015, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
Beautiful car. Congratulations on the purchase and hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Congrats! It looks to be in fantastic shape.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
Very nice, same colour and spec as mine minus the phone.
Buying a 6 for me was a bit of a culture shock as I came from a 96 Hilux Surf, more electrical toys than you can poke a stick at on these.
What are you having done to the exhaust?

Last edited by Hsurf; 08-29-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:59 PM

Cheers fellas.

The exhaust is going to have the internal of the backbox have a straight pipe fitted so should unleash some good sound.

Hey, hoping some of you guys can help me with an invoice from BMW. I am looking at getting the MP3 enabled by BMW and the invoice has vehicle diagnosis and vehicle test done. My question is why I would need this done.

See invoice below:

Old 08-29-2015, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Looks like you have a few misc codes that they want to sort out. They always have to justify their money. I would clear the codes to see if they come back. If they are going to do any coding, they will want a minimum labor charge.

Welcome Aboard!

Last edited by HerbP; 08-29-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:09 PM

Thats what i dont understand, that is a quote, as they didn't see the car, they just printed it as what it would cost. If they haven't seen the car, and there's no error messages, why would they need to scan it?
Old 08-29-2015, 11:21 PM

I've heard of dealerships in the UK doing this before, the theory being that they want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the vehicle that will interfere with what they are trying to code, which to a certain degree does make sense, however, the tyre indicator and sunroof initialisation is a bit of a strange one unless they've already had it plugged in and found them.
Either way I'd be inclined to get the software and cable to do the coding yourself, you'll also have the added bonus of periodically being able to plug it in and get a heads up of any potential issues with the car before they become a major problem.
I could be wrong here but I thought MP3 activation was part of one of the software updates for our cars.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:17 AM

Thanks for the reply, that actually makes sense. I was thinking of getting the cable but I think I will also pay to get this done due to the other 'modules' that seem to be getting done.

Thanks for all the replies
Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 AM

Some of the earlier 2004 models would not allow for the coding of the MP3, based on others that have tried. As far as the Secret Menu sequence to check the instrument panel, I have not done that in a long time. There are quite a few YouTube links showing how to do this.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Some of the earlier 2004 models would not allow for the coding of the MP3, based on others that have tried. As far as the Secret Menu sequence to check the instrument panel, I have not done that in a long time. There are quite a few YouTube links showing how to do this.
That's interesting, I thought mine was one of the earliest models (manufactured 1/12/2003) and I have MP3 enabled, I wonder what the criteria is for those that can and can't activate it.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:41 AM

That's strange, does yours also have bluetooth?
Old 08-30-2015, 12:27 PM

No Bluetooth originally, I have now I've fitted a dension though but no BMW Bluetooth module was fitted at the factory. But before doing any coding for the dension I tested a cd with mp3's on it and it worked both in the headunit and the (then fitted) cd multi changer, this is part of what made me think it was activated by BMW with a software update as the previous owner had one update done, going through the paperwork on the car this is the only update it's had.

Last edited by Hsurf; 08-30-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:03 PM

Old 08-30-2015, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: E64 650i
Nice car and nice to see another UK member.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:52 AM

Hey HSurf, I was thinking of getting the dension as it's a bit irritating having to forward calls to the new sim I bought for the built in phone, do you recommend it?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworkerb View Post
Hey HSurf, I was thinking of getting the dension as it's a bit irritating having to forward calls to the new sim I bought for the built in phone, do you recommend it?
Absolutely, highly recommended, there are some cheaper alternatives out there but I decided to go with the dension as it had very good reports.
Research is key with these though unless your having it installed and coded for you, for instance, do you have a cd multi changer and do you want to keep it or not, if you don't have one, do you have the wiring preparation for it, your MP3 capability will be needed for these as well etc etc, sounds worse than it is believe me, it's quite straight forward once you get into it, there's even some info on YouTube detailing the install.

Last edited by Hsurf; 08-31-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM

Ahh sweet. I have been reading a little, however, I am unsure as to what coding is required if it acts as a CD in the changer.

I have the CD Changer prep, and will be getting the MP3 activated soon by BMW.

Why can't the Dension use the cars mic?

Thanks for the reply.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

I think the mic in the car is purely meant for the voice activation bits on the car i.e. say "navigation" and it goes to the nav screen etc.
It's no big deal though, the dension comes with its own mic anyway, you just need to decide where you want it, I put mine just in front of the nav screen but right over on the far right so it doesn't obscure my view of the screen itself, I had the front fascia off to get to the CCC anyway so the wire simply comes out the top of it (out of sight).
I think much of the coding is the same for all but there are some differences, it will depend on which model you go for, for instance the Icon Drive just needs the TV and VIM (vehicle in motion) coded whereas the others don't require the TV (unless you want the AVR module as well) bit but do need MP3 and IPOD etc, decide which model will be best for you and then start to look at the coding required for it.

Last edited by Hsurf; Yesterday at 09:33 AM.
Old Today, 02:52 AM

Ahh ok thanks for that. If I do get one it will probably be the Dension 500S BT:
http://www.dension.com/products/car-...ateway-500s-bt