Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 3.0i, 325Ci, 650
Clearing the microfilter air intake

I took the microfilter tray out of my car for the first time today as I was changing spark plugs. Before I put it back in I stuck my hand down into the fenders where the lower part of the tray plugs in, and I found them packed with leaves and stuff. Where is the real intake? Can I take the inner fender liner out to get to it to clean this area?
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Yes, you discovered the front drains. I can't think of any way to get to them except by using a vacuum to pull out the debris. Here is a thread I had started a while back about that one...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=drains
Old 01-23-2015, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 3.0i, 325Ci, 650
Once again, many thanks. One of these days I'll find some time to head over across the bay to meet you.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650 Coupe 6MT
I'm wondering this myself. Where actually is the intake then if the sides on the fenders are the drain? How do leaves get jammed in there? Mine is completely packed full of leaves, but I don't see how it is physically possible to get leaves in there from the top. My car is always garaged, never under tree, but yet I still get leaves jammed packed in the fenders. I shop-vac the side drains using the micro tools but it is still difficult as hell to clear it out. I'm starting to think the side drains are actually the intake and is sucking up all the debris.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojeho View Post
Once again, many thanks. One of these days I'll find some time to head over across the bay to meet you.
LOL, no worries, always glad to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by euhysh View Post
I'm wondering this myself. Where actually is the intake then if the sides on the fenders are the drain? How do leaves get jammed in there? Mine is completely packed full of leaves, but I don't see how it is physically possible to get leaves in there from the top. My car is always garaged, never under tree, but yet I still get leaves jammed packed in the fenders. I shop-vac the side drains using the micro tools but it is still difficult as hell to clear it out. I'm starting to think the side drains are actually the intake and is sucking up all the debris.
Those are not intake related. The fender drains under the microfilter housings are just for runoff from the windshield and firewall area of hood. Problem is you could have a burned out ECU if the passenger side clogs and water backs up into the electrical box in that area.

My car is also garaged, but since it is a daily driver for my Wife it would get the leaves from her work. Seems odd since there is a drain manifold (cover that has the holes) that is above that drains ingress, so the leaves have to work their way under that piece to get in the fender holes.