Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: E36 E63
2008 650 coupe headlight disaster

Hi all, this is my fourth BMW and my second 6 series. I had a 635CSI, which was stolen, two e36s a 97 328i and 98 328is (still have this one). I loved that 635 so when the new 6 series came out I had to have one. Took me awhile to get my life straight again to be able to afford a car with maintenance needs like this and here is my first problem.

I have a 2008 650i coupe. The adaptive headlight system, high beams, low beams, and daylight running light on the left have all stopped working. I have been reading everything I can here. My left headlight keeps condensate in it no matter what I try. Even in completely dry weather, it forms condensate. I took the access covers off the back (not through the wheel well) and the insulation is cracking on the wiring. I could go into a rant about how a 9 year old car has wiring this cheap but oh well, nothing I can do now about that.

What I would like to know is where do I start? All Fog, signal, LED, and otherwise "standard" bulbs are working fine, just no headlights at all.
I believe I need to pull these things apart and put them back together with all new gaskets. My question is if all of this has quit working, what components do I need to replace on the headlights? Does it need new bulbs or just controllers? Did it just fry the ballasts? Should I just go ahead and drop the money for a set of new OEM headlights due to the hassel? Any diagrams or personal opinions are appreciated. Mechanical skills are 8/10 so that isn't an issue, I always do my own work and am not afraid of taking these apart.

Thanks guys! Other than not seeing at night this car is everything I remember my E24 being. It lives up to its predecessor, just wish BMW would improve their quality. I have a 98 E36 328is with 199,000 that still runs like she's brand new. The only thing I have ever done is replace the control arms and tie rods. Nothing has EVER broken in 19 years!

I just purchased this car for waaayyy under trade in because of the headlight problem. Point is I don't know if they all went at once of the previous owner just didn't replace. Hard to believe they let one bulb at a time blow until no bulbs were left. There is also a crack in the windshield, but it still senses water just fine and runs the wipers, changes the wiper speed, but I have read that a cracked windshield can cause AHS problems. Just don't think that would also cause the headlights themselves to stop working, but I don't know. If the AHS system goes do the headlights stop too for any reason?

Fuses are all good, battery is good, alternator is putting out 15.1v, battery at 12.7 ignition off.
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnpgeorge View Post
Hi all, this is my fourth BMW and my second 6 series. I had a 635CSI, which was stolen, two e36s a 97 328i and 98 328is (still have this one). I loved that 635 so when the new 6 series came out I had to have one. Took me awhile to get my life straight again to be able to afford a car with maintenance needs like this and here is my first problem.

I have a 2008 650i coupe. The adaptive headlight system, high beams, low beams, and daylight running light on the left have all stopped working. I have been reading everything I can here. My left headlight keeps condensate in it no matter what I try. Even in completely dry weather, it forms condensate. I took the access covers off the back (not through the wheel well) and the insulation is cracking on the wiring. I could go into a rant about how a 9 year old car has wiring this cheap but oh well, nothing I can do now about that.

What I would like to know is where do I start? All Fog, signal, LED, and otherwise "standard" bulbs are working fine, just no headlights at all.
I believe I need to pull these things apart and put them back together with all new gaskets. My question is if all of this has quit working, what components do I need to replace on the headlights? Does it need new bulbs or just controllers? Did it just fry the ballasts? Should I just go ahead and drop the money for a set of new OEM headlights due to the hassel? Any diagrams or personal opinions are appreciated. Mechanical skills are 8/10 so that isn't an issue, I always do my own work and am not afraid of taking these apart.

Thanks guys! Other than not seeing at night this car is everything I remember my E24 being. It lives up to its predecessor, just wish BMW would improve their quality. I have a 98 E36 328is with 199,000 that still runs like she's brand new. The only thing I have ever done is replace the control arms and tie rods. Nothing has EVER broken in 19 years!

I just purchased this car for waaayyy under trade in because of the headlight problem. Point is I don't know if they all went at once of the previous owner just didn't replace. Hard to believe they let one bulb at a time blow until no bulbs were left. There is also a crack in the windshield, but it still senses water just fine and runs the wipers, changes the wiper speed, but I have read that a cracked windshield can cause AHS problems. Just don't think that would also cause the headlights themselves to stop working, but I don't know. If the AHS system goes do the headlights stop too for any reason?

Fuses are all good, battery is good, alternator is putting out 15.1v, battery at 12.7 ignition off.

The bad part is there are no available parts for the headlight itself, other than a new headlight. You can find a new one for around 1200.00 if you are lucky? A used light can cost 900.00, with no guarantee it will not fail soon? If you do not have any software like INPA, DIS, or ISTA/D, you are in big trouble. I went through this around a year ago, & without the tools to figure out the problem all you can do is start changing out parts.I would suggest removing the bumper cover & pull both lights. Put the passenger light upside down on the drivers side, it will plug in & work. If that light starts to work, your adaptive module & possibly the bottom module are probably bad. That is up to 700.00 in new modules, or around 250.00 for used ones. If the passenger light does not work on the drivers side, this means that your LM module is most likely bad. This is around 500.00. This will give you a head start, but you are going to have to get the proper diagnostic tools to go any further. Hope this helps, because with out help from others I would have gone crazy!

Where in SC are you?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
I have fought this battle. I removed the headlights and spent a couple of hours with brush on plasti-dip to re-coat each and every wire slowly and carefully. No more shorts, no more errors. It's not a perfect solution by any means but these adaptive lights are crazy expensive. I did this 8 months ago and my headlights have been trouble free.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-12-2017, 06:24 AM

South carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
The bad part is there are no available parts for the headlight itself, other than a new headlight. You can find a new one for around 1200.00 if you are lucky? A used light can cost 900.00, with no guarantee it will not fail soon? If you do not have any software like INPA, DIS, or ISTA/D, you are in big trouble. I went through this around a year ago, & without the tools to figure out the problem all you can do is start changing out parts.I would suggest removing the bumper cover & pull both lights. Put the passenger light upside down on the drivers side, it will plug in & work. If that light starts to work, your adaptive module & possibly the bottom module are probably bad. That is up to 700.00 in new modules, or around 250.00 for used ones. If the passenger light does not work on the drivers side, this means that your LM module is most likely bad. This is around 500.00. This will give you a head start, but you are going to have to get the proper diagnostic tools to go any further. Hope this helps, because with out help from others I would have gone crazy!

Where in SC are you?
Thanks for all the info. I am in Olanta, SC a surburb of Florence.

I need to start putting together my more modern toolbox so where can I start picking up these diagnostic tools? I'll run a google search but your input would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info too. I will flip the light over and see. From what I've read what you describe is my problem. I have pulled the back covers and lots of insulation is broken. I will definitely be changing out all the bad wire in the process.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:48 PM

My wiring harness was fried also. After working around 4 hours on the wires, I gave up & got a new light. You will have to heat the lens cover up with a hot air gun, & slowly slide the lens off. I did not want to risk any more damage with the wiring as it was.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:56 PM

I contemplated replacing the wires but it's basically every wire in a non user serviceable headlight. So that's why I chose the recoating each wire route. Sure every wire is now black, but it doesn't matter since if the units fail we can't get parts. So I coated every wire, my headlights work perfectly and have for almost a year. You have to pick your battles and decide what your time is worth.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-15-2017, 05:11 PM

components

Cannot find a decent schematic of the modules and their locations. I cannot believe no one has made a shop manual for this car.
Just a few questions...
1, how many modules are there for the adaptive headlight system, and is this also known as the cornering control module?

Can you clarify what you mean by bottom module, and LM module.

I don't want to assume the wrong parts. I have my INPA and cable now, going to start learning it and see what that comes up with.

Thanks for all the help. I am not enjoying the money, but I am enjoying the diagnosis and repair part!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:52 PM

Your walking down the road I went down. So little information about the inner workings of the adaptive headlights. I love my adaptive headlights and wanted the errors to cease. So I compromised and coated the wires and got on with my life. Seriously wasn't worth my time.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnpgeorge View Post
Cannot find a decent schematic of the modules and their locations. I cannot believe no one has made a shop manual for this car.
Just a few questions...
1, how many modules are there for the adaptive headlight system, and is this also known as the cornering control module?

Can you clarify what you mean by bottom module, and LM module.

I don't want to assume the wrong parts. I have my INPA and cable now, going to start learning it and see what that comes up with.

Thanks for all the help. I am not enjoying the money, but I am enjoying the diagnosis and repair part!
Here is the link to the modules & the light. There is not a published wiring diagram. The light is made by Hella, but they want release the internal drawings or parts in the USA due to BMW.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E6...s_xenon_light/

The LM module is here, you might have the newer LM2 module but this is a start. Item 5.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E6...units_modules/

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
e63, e63 ahs, e63 headlight, e63 no lights

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search