Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Transmission 'hiccup'

Hey all,
I purchase a 2004 645ci last October. Clean inside and out, grey, about 64000 miles, clean carfax, dealer maintained. I bought the car to see what BMW was all about.

The car is quick, comfortable and fun to drive, until recently. At 67500 miles I am about to put a new transmission in the car.

I am here to share my experience (not complain).

Will post a picture before long..
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2016, 03:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Not sure why you'd replace a tranny in one of these cars. They are pretty much bullet proof, but parts dol wear out. I recently bought an 05 X5 that was having shifting problems. I pulled the throttle body out of the transmission and rebuilt it with a Sonnax Zip Kit like this one. http://www.sonnax.com/parts/3505-zip-kit

It runs like a beast and shifts smooth. I'm not suggesting that anyone could do that, it was a bit of a job. But having a trans shop rebuild the valve body would be WAY cheaper and less invasive than replacing the trans.

You can also find rebuilt valve bodies on the web. Then you just have to drain fluid, remove the pan, swap bodies and fill. Almost anyone could do that. Search YouTube for ZF transmissions.

Oh and depending what your problem is: You should probably start by resetting the transmission. Ignition on, engine off, press and hold peddle all the way to the floor (until it clicks) for 60 seconds. Turn car off, transmission adaptations memory has been reset.

Good luck.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 03-24-2016, 04:59 AM

transmission

I did try the reset. No help.

I then took the car to a BMW dealer for diagnostics and repair. No joy, at least for the transmission.

I do suspect the valve body. I did find a shop up in Cumming Georgia, that can troubleshoot and repair the valve body. Their quote was $1600ish and would take about three days. That's seemed a good price, it would cost me that much to purchase a (non-dealer) remanufactured unit and install it myself.

I honestly don't want to work on this car. I bought it to see what BMW was about (BMW cars and their service), if favorable, I would then buy a new one. So far, I am not impressed with BMW service.

The transmission is going to cost about $5200 installed. 3 year 100K warranty. Hope to pick up the car Monday 28th.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:02 AM

transmission

Okay,
Picked up the car, from an indy repair shop. The remanufactured transmission was obtained from a ZF distributor here in Atlanta.

Shop owner tells me that the shift from 3rd to 4th is a bit rough. Suggests that I drive the car for a time and let the transmission learn my driving style.

Will report back after 200 or so miles..
Old 04-12-2016, 07:19 PM

hiccup

Transmission update.

Shift problem is intermittent. At times the 3rd to 4th shift is rough. At other times the shift is smooth but seems as if it is slipping as it goes into fourth.

On two occasions, there was a shudder during the 3rd to 4th shift.

Dropped the car off with the shop that replaced the transmission. At about 2pm, I called the shop to get an update. They are going to drive the car to the ZF distributor that remanufactured the transmission for road test and diagnosis. I am supposed to hear back by noon tomorrow (4-13-16).

I do have a question, What is meant by 'flare during shift'?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2016, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycar View Post
Transmission update.

Shift problem is intermittent. At times the 3rd to 4th shift is rough. At other times the shift is smooth but seems as if it is slipping as it goes into fourth.

On two occasions, there was a shudder during the 3rd to 4th shift.

Dropped the car off with the shop that replaced the transmission. At about 2pm, I called the shop to get an update. They are going to drive the car to the ZF distributor that remanufactured the transmission for road test and diagnosis. I am supposed to hear back by noon tomorrow (4-13-16).

I do have a question, What is meant by 'flare during shift'?

Thanks
That is when your RPMs "flair" or jump in between gears instead of having a nice smooth shift where the RPMs drop by 2000.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 04-13-2016, 06:23 PM

Update from indy shop.
The zf distributor says the harsh shift/flare is okay, even some new cars will do it.? They say, the customer should just drive it a couple of thousand miles, if problem continues, they will take care of it. What?
Guess I just found out why BMW didn't want to address the issue. They get their replacement transmissions from the same zf distributor (so I have been told).

I am very bored with this issue (and car).

I drove a Porsche Cayman GTS at their Atlanta Experience Center last week. I looked at a 911 today.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
It possibly could be a little low on fluid. Very rare for a tranny to fail, but the rubber seals and parts do shrink, causing problems. Since you have the warranty, give it some time to break in.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:28 PM

surge

I don't know,
Transmission surge, harsh shifts, and what not, seem to be common complaints. I am guessing the mechatronics unit is the weak link.

You may be correct, the problem may fix itself with wear.

I feel the flair will only increase wear (and operating temperature). The flair reminds me of a slipping clutch.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:54 PM

Who was the distributor that was used. I don't see one in Ga.?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:05 PM

distributors (3)

ZF provided the following as distributors located near me (Atlanta area).

Transtar (800) 938-4776

Whatever It Takes (404) 362-0735

Transmissions by Ron (866) 351-0726
Old 04-14-2016, 08:00 PM

I did not see those on their website. They usually keep their US vendors to a minimum, to control their pricing. Did ZF rebuild the tranny, or their shop?
Old 04-15-2016, 02:00 AM

who remanufactured it

To the best of my knowledge, The distributor rebuilds the transmission less the mechatronics unit. The distributor obtains a remanufactured mechatronics unit (along with other parts needed for the rebuild) from zf.

I had been in contact with zf regarding the symptoms displayed by the newly installed transmission. They asked the same question 'did the distributor rebuild the transmission or did they obtain the transmission from zf'. For clarification I asked the indy shop, who verified the above.

A bit more on the process,

During my first original visit with the indy shop, we road tested the car to diagnose the transmission issue. We discussed the options (replace mechatronics or whole transmission), I went with the whole transmission (I know, could have saved some money by just replacing the mechatronics). Once that was decided, the shop contacted the distributor to get availability on a transmission and to provided them with the cars VIN. At that point, the distributor pulls one of the previously exchanged transmissions off of the self and starts the remanufacturing process.

Since this same transmission can go in a Jaguar, Range Rover or BMW a means of setting up the operating parameters is provided. The mechatronics is loaded with software unique to the vehicle type. The VIN provides clarification of the software to be loaded.

The indy shop pulls the defective transmission. The removed unit is taken to the distributor and swapped out with the newly remanufactured unit. The distributor takes the received transmission and puts it on a shelf until someone calls needing that part number.

The above is the best I can remember, just a little fyi.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: bm 645ci
my 645ci has the 5th gear hiccup, solinoids where changed and still doing the same, what now?
someone told me about megatronic software upgrade?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20151116-WA0024.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	559255  
Old 04-15-2016, 05:15 PM

now what

hey rooinek,

I hope someone more knowledgeable than I is able to offer a suggestion.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:35 PM

Have you by chance tried charging your battery overnight? A weak battery can cause this condition.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
I had all the same problems as above, plus getting a limp mode several times. Shifts very harsh in some gears and flares or feels like it is slipping in other gears.... I was told that I needed a tranny rebuild... blahblahblah. I did alot of reading and it became fairly clear that the main issue with the ZF trannys are the VALVE BODIES!!! The are made of an aluminum that after use and any low oil conditions from the plastic tranny pan leaking, the pistons wear the valve body and the clearances get too big and cause oil pressure changes in the valve body.

SOLUTION.... I was told it would never work and I did not understand BMW tranny problems. I did not listen and bought the SONNAX ZIP KIT and did a valve body rebuild. I did NOT change the solenoids. The car shifts smooth and solid. No more issues of harsh shifts or flared shifts. I did the whole job myself in 6 hours from start to finish as a first time valvebody rebuilder. I am in Atlanta.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:57 AM

valvebody

Yea, I suspect the valvebody. In my case the transmission is under warranty, the distributor is just dragging his feet on the issue.

I am curious, are there shuttle valves in the valve body? Are there steel pistons or valves riding/sealing to aluminum?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:23 PM

Here is the best breakdown on the valve body I have seen.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=654634
Old 04-22-2016, 06:16 AM

Hiccup at 40mph

I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with my 645- dealership relpace tranny and throttle control, replaced spark plugs, it drove excellent for about 2 months and now I am back to the problem with the Hiccup or pulling at around 40mph- dealership has no clue what else it could be ? Nothing is showing up on screen? Help Please!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
108Jones, hey start a new thread cause your issue is not clear nor does it seem to be the same topic as prettycar. In your new thread, describe your problem a bit more detailed.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search