Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmweller View Post
I just came across a 1988 635csi and am in love with it... My mechanic has already given me a (short) list of what to watch out for, but am curious about any opinions about this era, and if there are any issues I should be aware of. Although I wanted a manual trans, this one's an automatic...darn.
PM 6 Brit - she has a 1985 635csi. She may be able to give you some insight.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i convertible
Do it!

No convincing necessary!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
Experience with my 650i

Leased my BMW 3 yrs ago. Sexiest looking car but that's it. Lease is up in Aug. but ready to return it today. And btw, don't even bother with the safe lease. Biggest waste of money. Anyone interest in my experience, please let me know.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
That Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebunny View Post
Leased my BMW 3 yrs ago. Sexiest looking car but that's it. Lease is up in Aug. but ready to return it today. And btw, don't even bother with the safe lease. Biggest waste of money. Anyone interest in my experience, please let me know.
i would like to know what happened

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 04-27-2010, 02:59 PM

PRETTY BAD! I leased a 2007 model. Nothing but transmission problems. I took it back to the dealer several times. I told the dealer that it needs a software upgrades. (Most auto shop sees this problem and suggested software upgrade). There were rude and said there's no problem with the transmission. I started to check around on the internet and asked several of my friends. SAME PROBLEM. Erratic shifting and shift to the high gear too soon. Jerky gear shift. It is so bad that I feel so unsafe for the last 2 years and half. One of my friend's BMW actually went thru their garage into the living room when trying to park the car in the garage. I took my kids to the school and almost went into a group of kids. I will honestly say that the car is DANGEROUS. We have, Lamborghini Murcielago, Ferrari 599 GT and Lotus at home. It's not that I can't handle a fast car. This is simply a biggest piece of junk. I do have a 2002 BMW Z8, it's a nice car tho. To make the matter worse, I just found out the safe lease insurance I bought was a lie and a plus. The sales person told me with this insurance, all I have to do is drop off the key when my lease ended. No fuss and no worries. That is not the case!!! I found out yesterday that I will need to schedule for inspection, after the inspection I will get a list of anything that needs to be repaired. Then I submit that to the insurance company, then they will cut a check to BMW, after this, I will have to pay for all of the money I owed. After everything is done correctly, I have to bring the car the the dealer and drop of the key. So, I questioned the BMW inspector yesterday, I said basically your sales people LIE to me about this insurance. She said "YES! but I'm the inspector!!!" This whole lease return is going to cost at least 2 months to process. Luckily I'm ready to return this piece of junk 4 months early. Anyway, it is so bad that I'm willing to pay $5000 + ??? $wears & tear for a car I won't have until the lease ends, but I'm so happy that I'm out of this Dangerous car. If you check around the internet, you will find a lot of unhappy ex-BMW owner out there with the same transmission problem. Even the tow truck driver told me that the most cars he towed was the 6 series BMW. Hopefully I give you enough information. My intention of the lease was to give it a try and buy a M6. NOT!!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i cinv
6 vert is the way to go

i have a2006 6 series and couldn't be happier. it is one nice auto. Get it on the road at night and LET IT ROAR!!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:53 PM

Very glad you love your 2006 6 series. I'm very happy to get rid of my 2006 cic a week ago. Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: '05 E64
Quote:
PRETTY BAD! I leased a 2007 model. Nothing but transmission problems. I took it back to the dealer several times. I told the dealer that it needs a software upgrades. (Most auto shop sees this problem and suggested software upgrade). There were rude and said there's no problem with the transmission. I started to check around on the internet and asked several of my friends. SAME PROBLEM. Erratic shifting and shift to the high gear too soon. Jerky gear shift. It is so bad that I feel so unsafe for the last 2 years and half. One of my friend's BMW actually went thru their garage into the living room when trying to park the car in the garage. I took my kids to the school and almost went into a group of kids. I will honestly say that the car is DANGEROUS. We have, Lamborghini Murcielago, Ferrari 599 GT and Lotus at home. It's not that I can't handle a fast car. This is simply a biggest piece of junk. I do have a 2002 BMW Z8, it's a nice car tho. To make the matter worse, I just found out the safe lease insurance I bought was a lie and a plus. The sales person told me with this insurance, all I have to do is drop off the key when my lease ended. No fuss and no worries. That is not the case!!! I found out yesterday that I will need to schedule for inspection, after the inspection I will get a list of anything that needs to be repaired. Then I submit that to the insurance company, then they will cut a check to BMW, after this, I will have to pay for all of the money I owed. After everything is done correctly, I have to bring the car the the dealer and drop of the key. So, I questioned the BMW inspector yesterday, I said basically your sales people LIE to me about this insurance. She said "YES! but I'm the inspector!!!" This whole lease return is going to cost at least 2 months to process. Luckily I'm ready to return this piece of junk 4 months early. Anyway, it is so bad that I'm willing to pay $5000 + ??? $wears & tear for a car I won't have until the lease ends, but I'm so happy that I'm out of this Dangerous car. If you check around the internet, you will find a lot of unhappy ex-BMW owner out there with the same transmission problem. Even the tow truck driver told me that the most cars he towed was the 6 series BMW. Hopefully I give you enough information. My intention of the lease was to give it a try and buy a M6. NOT!!!!

I just got a headache from reading your brilliantly written post. Thanks!!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 645 E64
I've had 2004 over two years now - it has been very reliable. Spent $50 on a simple fix (that sounded termnal....but wasn't) some tyres and a new battery. Bought new wheels but that was a cosmetic choice!!

Unusual colour!

Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0118.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	229787  
Old 05-12-2010, 04:19 PM

Sorry to give you a headache. I was just trying to share my experience.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: '05 E64
Quote:
Sorry to give you a headache. I was just trying to share my experience.
Interesting as to what you do for a living?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:54 PM

CFO. a very boring career, nothing exciting. That's why I like cars.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
CFO. a very boring career, nothing exciting. That's why I like cars.
I think you just got a bad one most ppl on here have relatively good experiences especially while their cars are still under warrenty. I dont know why your dealer didnt take better care of you. 70k for a car you would think they would want to keep the customer as happy as possible. Oh and you have way better taste then our CFO he drives a Lexus we laugh everytime he pulls in that thing who cares if it parks itself.

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 PM

It's such a shame that the car was so beautiful made. I did have a good experience when I returned the car last week. The dealer took the car and no questions were asked. The cars we have in the family are shared between my crazy brother and crazy husband. I do get to enjoy them when they get tired of them. Lucky me!!!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: RR Sport SC, GL450
Quote:
have any pics of that lambo and ferarri side by side?

2012 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes GL450

2010 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 HP SC

2006 Black Sapphire Metallic 650i 6MT SOLD

2008 White Diamond Tricoat Cadillac Escalade SOLD

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: BWM 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeygambino View Post
I dont know much about BMWs, but this one caught my eye at the dealer and before I pull the trigger just was wondering....

What exactly is the differences between the 6 and 5 series ( besides the obviously exterior body)

Are these cars made from the same chassis, same suspension parts, and steering?

Is 6 essentially a 5 series coupe?

Thanks.
I am sorry but you have been misinformed "is 6 essentailly a 5 series coupe" it like saying is a Toyota reliable!!!! I would you suggest you drive a 5 series then a 6.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: BWM 645Ci
Quote:
sorry to your your problems but this situation is rare. I got a 6 series and its done 150K miles and it has never missed a beat
Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 PM

i'll try to get the pic of the ferrari. lambo is in a storage. It was bought for investment purpose.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: RR Sport SC, GL450
ic yeah great pics would be cool

2012 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes GL450

2010 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 HP SC

2006 Black Sapphire Metallic 650i 6MT SOLD

2008 White Diamond Tricoat Cadillac Escalade SOLD

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 05-20-2010, 12:47 AM
left lane driver

Mein Auto: e92 m3
I have had a 645ci and a 650i and i loved both cars and was extremely happy. Sorry to hear about your experience.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Yes, love the drive of it. Always wakeup early in the morning just to voluntary drive my son to school since I bought this car.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: CAR
so what parts have u guys changed so far?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty3twenty2 View Post
Yes, love the drive of it. Always wakeup early in the morning just to voluntary drive my son to school since I bought this car.
Too funny - I drive my two oldest kids to school daily as well.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 06-18-2010, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
For Sale!