Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 AM
TopDownInFL's Avatar
TopDownInFL TopDownInFL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,624
Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteBL View Post

I've never had an SMG, which I am assuming the 2008 is, since it has paddle shifters. I've read some reviews on it, and some reviewers absolutely hate the SMG.
The 2008 650 has SSG, not SMG. SSG is just shifting the gears from the steering wheel, but the car is still a completely automatic transmission. I use it all the time to downshift - quite fun.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteBL View Post
but the rep says the car has to be reset, and learn my driving patterns. Is that true, or just BS?
Yes, search transmission reset - it's basically a press of the gas pedal.
__________________
Nick / TopDownInFL (sans the "top down")

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,496
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteBL View Post
....... but the rep says the car has to be reset, and learn my driving patterns. Is that true, or just BS?
First thing you need to do is determine if the '08 is SMG or SSG before you start worrying. According to Nick in the above post it sounds like SMG was not available in 2008.

If you cannot tell by reading the listing, here is a thread with some pics of auto and SMG gear levers.

SMG is a manual transmission controlled by hydraulics and it takes some practice to drive smoothly, so the Sales Rep was feeding you some BS that a simple reset will completely solve jerkiness. SMG will never be as smooth as an auto. SMG also has some reliability issues - main expensive problem is a hydraulic pump failure ~ $2K to fix. My M3 is SMG and I am hoping that the pump never fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteBL View Post
Yes, everyone is telling me to definitely deal only with CPO vehicles. Now, the CPO covers absolutely everything but tires, correct? So all oil changes, servicing, repairs, etc. are covered. Short of me wrecking the car or something, right?
CPO is the best you can get after the initial factory warranty but it does have exclusions and is not as comprehensive as the initial 4 year / 50K warranty. CPO does not include scheduled maintenance. Here are the CPO coverage details.
__________________
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater


Last edited by Yorgi; 07-28-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 AM
DanteBL DanteBL is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: TL
Ok. I'm hearing from the BMW rep that the 2007 BMW 650i had engine and/or transmission problems. And that with the 2008 BMW 650i, they fixed the issues. Is that a load of garbage to get the upsell, or is that on the up and up?
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,496
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteBL View Post
Ok. I'm hearing from the BMW rep that the 2007 BMW 650i had engine and/or transmission problems. And that with the 2008 BMW 650i, they fixed the issues. Is that a load of garbage to get the upsell, or is that on the up and up?
What "issues" exactly? You say the '07 had engine/transmission repairs but don't mention what was fixed on the '08.

Based on the info so far I'd be leaning towards the '08.
__________________
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM
DanteBL DanteBL is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
What "issues" exactly? You say the '07 had engine/transmission repairs but don't mention what was fixed on the '08.

Based on the info so far I'd be leaning towards the '08.
Yorgi,

That's the problem. The BMW manager gave no other info than that. I looked all over the threads here and everywhere else, but could not find anything. All I found were recalls for the 6-series that will be taken care of by BMW.

So I called in and spoke to a mechanic. He says he's never seen nor heard of any engine or transmission issues on the 6-series. On the 7-series, yes; but not on the 6-series. He told me to stop searching the blogs now that I've gotten the information from a "qualified" person. LOL.

Yeah. It seems the 08 is the way to go. It has one extra year of CPO, plus paddle shifters, HUD, new trim, and 6k miles less. Plus it is "only" $5k more expensive than the 07. Friends about to kill me for arguing over $5k for a 6-series. Haha!

Thanks again for all of your help, and for putting up with me!
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 07-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,496
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
LOL... I love when BMW personnel tell you to ignore what you read on the internet. The combined online community is very knowledgeable and we don't need to tow the company line when talking about embarrassing design flaws etc...

A good example - on 6ers the battery requires a tender on weekends if you take < 30 min trips every time you drive the car. (ie short commute to work). BMW does not call this a "design defect", they tell you it's an "unfavorable driving profile" like it's our fault the battery is going dead.

Let us know if you get the car and post pics. The '08 sounds like a great car and the CPO will give you peace of mind for a few years.
__________________
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 08-05-2011, 10:47 AM
gostman gostman is offline
Registered User
Location: new jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645CI
Smile 2005 645

i have a 2005 645 w just turned 60000, the car is in excellent condition. its all blacked out, light rims interior. i also installed the bmw ipod connect and upgraded the computer program (nav, mods, audio, car info) to the new version. car has recently when in for an oil change and had a complete check up done. everything passed. if intrested feel free to msg me. im located in new jersey.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Mr.GQ Mr.GQ is offline
NO H8TG
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 650i
What's up all? This is my first post on Bimmerfest. I've been checking out the posts and many of u seemed to graduate top of the class with all things 6 series! I hope to share some knowledge as well as time goes on.I'm looking into buying a 650 and was hoping I could bounce some stuff off of you all. So this post is gonna be kind of loaded.

I'm in NY and have been looking for a CPO 2008 white drop top with either tan or saddle interior. I like the '08 because of the upgraded headlights and interior updates. In any case what would you say is a fair price for the '08 with sports package, cold weather package premium sound, comfort access package. Miles approx 35k. I can't find for less than $52k anywhre on the east coast. Also tried searching private but not much luck with finding the '08's in white/tan. I'm willing to travel outside of NY but still see em in the same price range. NADA has them at $45k excellent condition trade in price.
Also with comfort access on this model, do you have to put the electric key in the ignition port to start it? Or can you keep it in the pocket?
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Jerome001 Jerome001 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2005 645 Ci convertible
'05 645 convertible

Welcome! I have an 05 645 convertible and I can not overstate my enjoyment and pleasure with the car. Every time I get in it I get a stupid sh** eating grin on my face. I love the sound of the exhaust and the handling and response is exceptional. I really have to watch it or I am waaaaaaaaayyyy over the speed limit. With that said, when my new car warranty expired I have to pay for the maintenance and it is quite expensive. I bought mine in Feb 2006 when it had about 3,000 miles on it - apparently the first owner had issues with getting in and out of the car and I saved a fortune as there was snow on the ground and not much of a market for convertibles and I drove a very hard bargain and basically picked up the car at its wholesale price but they pulled the CPO option to allow me to get the wholesale price.

I'm not mechanically inclined and I tend to not trust non-dealer shops to maintain a car this complicated and temperamental. I know I can save money by going outside the dealers but I want the car maintained correctly. For example, at 39,000 miles I had to have the brake system serviced; this included blowing out the system and replacing a filter and it cost over $300! The filter was about $160 and the service manager agreed that the filter consisted of less than $5 worth of materials. I also recently replaced all 4 tires which set me back $2,200 for the same tires the car came with. I have the 19" tires and bought them at a Firestone shop - no reason to have the dealer replace the tires as that is a fairly straight forward process and I expect the dealer would have been several hundred $$ more. Also, I experience electronics related issues off and on. Once the covertible top didn't lock properly; thankfully it was still under warranty. The electronics sometimes just simply don't respond so I wait a few minutes and then they usually work but I hear that electronics issue are normal for BMWs.

Bottom line: I would buy the car again if I had a "do over" option. If I could swing it, I would definitely go for the M version and manual transmission (I don't live in a huge city though and the constant shifting of stop and go traffic would push me to stay with an auto transmission. Good luck with your hunt. BTW, I was at the dealer yesterday for routine maintenance and looked at the 2012 650 convertibles and all I can say is SWEET! Oh, my I wish I could afford to get another one.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 PM
gregb's Avatar
gregb gregb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Marietta, GA
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 969
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.GQ View Post
What's up all? This is my first post on Bimmerfest. I've been checking out the posts and many of u seemed to graduate top of the class with all things 6 series! I hope to share some knowledge as well as time goes on.I'm looking into buying a 650 and was hoping I could bounce some stuff off of you all. So this post is gonna be kind of loaded.

I'm in NY and have been looking for a CPO 2008 white drop top with either tan or saddle interior. I like the '08 because of the upgraded headlights and interior updates. In any case what would you say is a fair price for the '08 with sports package, cold weather package premium sound, comfort access package. Miles approx 35k. I can't find for less than $52k anywhre on the east coast. Also tried searching private but not much luck with finding the '08's in white/tan. I'm willing to travel outside of NY but still see em in the same price range. NADA has them at $45k excellent condition trade in price.
Also with comfort access on this model, do you have to put the electric key in the ignition port to start it? Or can you keep it in the pocket?
Welcome - I was searching for a similar 2007 about a year ago, and seemed to find the best deals on CPO's here in the southeast. Although I originally like the burghandy with beige interior, they were so hard to find that I ultimately went with black on beige and found a bigger selection at a better price (I found a CPO 2007 with the same mileage about a year ago for $40k). Now, the 2008's a little more attractive with the updated headlights, etc., but if you broaden your seach to the southeast, you might find what you want and if not, maybe look at a couple more popoular colors (for listings try cars.com, autotrader, ebay, bmwusa.com and some dealers actually list on craigslist.org). Oh, and to answer your question, my 2007 has comfort access which means I can touch the door handles to unlock/lock and can start the engine with my key in my pocket.

Happy hunting!
__________________
Regards, Greg


'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 09-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Mr.GQ Mr.GQ is offline
NO H8TG
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 650i
Hey guys, I know it's been forever and a day since my first post but I've been consumed with work. Thank for the welcome and the advice! i've found something interesting. I found a 2008 white 650i convertible with tan interior, comfort Access, sports package, cold weather package, and premium sound package and 34k miles. was listed for 52k on the bmw CPO website, but the internet price on craigs list, which was put up by the dealer was $50k. they dont mention the internet price to you sometimes unless you bring it up. in any case, i was able to get the deler down to $48,500. There are some pebble chips in the hood and bumper as well as a spider web crack in th bumper. Do you guys think it's worth it? This guy thinks he's giving me a deal. but i saw a coupe with all of those options plus night vision for $44,500 (not a vert and it has black interior).

How much do you guys think it will cost to get a bmw rear bumper repaired and resprayed? I will try to get a picture for you guys.

Do you guys think it will be more trouble than it's worth to get this car with the bumper damage? the surface is smooth but yo ucan feel a bump in the bumper where the paint is cracked. it looks like at some point, the previous owner must have backed into something. The rear left bumper light is cracked too, which they would change.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:22 AM
gregb's Avatar
gregb gregb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Marietta, GA
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 969
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.GQ View Post
Hey guys, I know it's been forever and a day since my first post but I've been consumed with work. Thank for the welcome and the advice! i've found something interesting. I found a 2008 white 650i convertible with tan interior, comfort Access, sports package, cold weather package, and premium sound package and 34k miles. was listed for 52k on the bmw CPO website, but the internet price on craigs list, which was put up by the dealer was $50k. they dont mention the internet price to you sometimes unless you bring it up. in any case, i was able to get the deler down to $48,500. There are some pebble chips in the hood and bumper as well as a spider web crack in th bumper. Do you guys think it's worth it? This guy thinks he's giving me a deal. but i saw a coupe with all of those options plus night vision for $44,500 (not a vert and it has black interior).

How much do you guys think it will cost to get a bmw rear bumper repaired and resprayed? I will try to get a picture for you guys.

Do you guys think it will be more trouble than it's worth to get this car with the bumper damage? the surface is smooth but yo ucan feel a bump in the bumper where the paint is cracked. it looks like at some point, the previous owner must have backed into something. The rear left bumper light is cracked too, which they would change.
Sounds like a good deal, considering its a CPO vert in the NE with desirable options. They should be able to touch up all the pebble chips so they're not that noticeable. On the bumper, I would check the carfax to make sure it doesn't have an accident on the report, and have a body shop confirm the damage isn't that bad inside the bumper. I would get a couple of quotes on the damage (one from the dealer's body shop or the dealer's referral shop, and another from an independent shop). With the plastic bumper it may have to be replaced, which could be a little costly. That way you would know what you're up against, and could use those quoted $'s as part of additional negotiations on price.

IMO, you are just starting the perfect time of year to buy a vert - I bought mine at the end of October after searching for several months. The dealer knew that vert's don't sell as much in the winter, and didn't want to hold it in inventory for six more months before they could sell it in the spring. Be patient and you'll find the perfect deal.
__________________
Regards, Greg


'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Mr.GQ Mr.GQ is offline
NO H8TG
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 650i
Thanks GregB, I'm out of town today but i'm having a friend who is pretty knowledgeable go and check it out for me. i may just leave it alone since i'm starting to see other 650's come up! Hopefully they dont have any body damage as well. When i told the dealer that the car has been on the lot for 2 months and that fall is around the corner and sales would start to slow, this fool told me that whatever they dont sell, they sell back to BMW corp. Has anyone ever heard of that? i like the light tan interior over the black interior with the white 650s, but can someone tell me how much harder it is to maintain? Does it get dirty/stained pretty easily. i can't convince myself to swing towards the black interior even though it would probably be more durable.

Also, how do you post pics in here?
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 AM
gregb's Avatar
gregb gregb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Marietta, GA
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 969
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.GQ View Post
Thanks GregB, I'm out of town today but i'm having a friend who is pretty knowledgeable go and check it out for me. i may just leave it alone since i'm starting to see other 650's come up! Hopefully they dont have any body damage as well. When i told the dealer that the car has been on the lot for 2 months and that fall is around the corner and sales would start to slow, this fool told me that whatever they dont sell, they sell back to BMW corp. Has anyone ever heard of that? i like the light tan interior over the black interior with the white 650s, but can someone tell me how much harder it is to maintain? Does it get dirty/stained pretty easily. i can't convince myself to swing towards the black interior even though it would probably be more durable.

Also, how do you post pics in here?
PM (private message) sent to you.
__________________
Regards, Greg


'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 09-11-2011, 12:26 AM
e31 e31 is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington, DC
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW 840ci
I am shopping for my next bimmer and the 6 series is really tempting. Any know issues on the 2004? I do not have a garage, should I be concerned about parking a ragtop in the open all year round? Thx.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 AM
e31 e31 is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington, DC
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW 840ci
I am interested in a 645 (~2004-2005), don't have a garage and would like to find out more about***********:

- Longer term ownership and any common issues

- Any owner who does not have a garage over the last few years

- Ragtop in weather over long term (no garage) not having owned a ragtop before.

Thx.

Last edited by e31; 09-11-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 09-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,496
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by e31 View Post
I am shopping for my next bimmer and the 6 series is really tempting. Any know issues on the 2004? I do not have a garage, should I be concerned about parking a ragtop in the open all year round? Thx.
The top will wear out faster if you don't garage the car but it's not a huge issue. A new top will cost you less than $2K installed if you go aftermarket. If you end up with a convertible make sure you use RaggTopp twice a year on the top to protect it.

Check out this thread for common 6er issues.

The 2006+ cars have significant upgrades so I would try to pick up a 2006 if you can swing it.
__________________
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 PM
littlehandegan littlehandegan is offline
Registered User
Location: charleston
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2002 325it
How reliable are the 06-07 650i's??


I plan to do a Pre purchase inspection on anything I purchase.



That being said. I owned a 2004 Range Rover which was a NIGHTMARE....Is it going to be that bad?


Also keep in mind I only keep cars for 3-4 months maximum....
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
645kid 645kid is offline
Registered User
Location: Daly City, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 73
Mein Auto: 04' 645ci
btw, i just purchased an out of state car and i would highly recommend you have a certified bmw mechanic to do the pre purchase inspection. that way, they have all the tools to hook up into the computer and run diagnostics on any hidden historical or current check engine lights. dont settle for one of those generic pre inspection companies as they are not equipped to inspect your bmw thoroughly. check yelp for reviews of shops in the area then have the most qualified shop take a look at it.
__________________

Curent Ride: Black Sapphire Metallic on Chateau Dakota Leather.6 Speed MT.


Retired Bimmers:
07' e92 328ci
04' e46 325ci
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM
cappy cappy is offline
Registered User
Location: Seminole FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteBL View Post
Ok. I'm hearing from the BMW rep that the 2007 BMW 650i had engine and/or transmission problems. And that with the 2008 BMW 650i, they fixed the issues. Is that a load of garbage to get the upsell, or is that on the up and up?
Hi, DanteBL, you emailed me on Jul 28, and am sorry for the delay in responding. I bought the 2008 650i vert for my daughter while she was in the war zone. Only one problem with the car, which evidently cannot be fixed. She complained about an odor, musty, perhaps moldy. We suspect, but have no proof, that this being Florida, sometimes cars are left with the tops down, a storm comes along. . . . Also, where there are hurricanes, sometimes those cars are sent out of state, or out of the area. I didn't smell it, else I would not have gotten that car for her. But she can smell. She is now up north, and I visited her two weeks ago. I still could not smell anything, but it's her car, she smells something.

I cannot answer your questions, but it makes sense to me to get the newer car. CPO only covers the car for x-years from the date it was first in service. You want as much warranty as you can get. To replace a convertible top can set you back serious $$$$$. She had some work done on it while I was there, not serious, and it was covered by warranty. She then took her 2002 X5 in, had a few things, including a couple tires, and it set her back about $2200.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 AM
fogger fogger is offline
Registered User
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: Q45
550i to 650i

Greetings 650i lovers,
I presently drive an 07 550i and while helping a friend pick out her 330i, I spied the 650s, something I'd never thought of before. Primarily because I lived where it snowed and now have moved south.

In generally looking at 07 650i and 08 650i, I see some advantages on both. For example, 07 is lower priced I.E. ranging from 38K-44K while mileage ranges from 13K-79K. With the 08s I'm noticing mileage ranging from 20K-79K but prices from 42K-54K. While primarily looking at CPO vehicles, the 08 attraction is the .9% finance but the pricing of the 07s is more within my comfort area.

My question and I understand this depends quite a bit on the carfax data and how the car was maintained, at what mileage would YOU feel comfortable purchasing a used 650i convertible? It seems not many feel comfortable with the non cpo vehicles but there are a number of them out there for a few 000's less than the prices I've posted, including 08s more in line with the 07 cpo pricing.

I have considered going out of state but would probably trade my 550i on the 659i so a bit closer to home is beneficial.

Thanks,
Fogger
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 11-03-2011, 12:55 PM
gregb's Avatar
gregb gregb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Marietta, GA
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 969
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogger View Post
Greetings 650i lovers,
I presently drive an 07 550i and while helping a friend pick out her 330i, I spied the 650s, something I'd never thought of before. Primarily because I lived where it snowed and now have moved south.

In generally looking at 07 650i and 08 650i, I see some advantages on both. For example, 07 is lower priced I.E. ranging from 38K-44K while mileage ranges from 13K-79K. With the 08s I'm noticing mileage ranging from 20K-79K but prices from 42K-54K. While primarily looking at CPO vehicles, the 08 attraction is the .9% finance but the pricing of the 07s is more within my comfort area.

My question and I understand this depends quite a bit on the carfax data and how the car was maintained, at what mileage would YOU feel comfortable purchasing a used 650i convertible? It seems not many feel comfortable with the non cpo vehicles but there are a number of them out there for a few 000's less than the prices I've posted, including 08s more in line with the 07 cpo pricing.

I have considered going out of state but would probably trade my 550i on the 659i so a bit closer to home is beneficial.

Thanks,
Fogger
I was faced with the same question about a year ago when I wanted to buy a 650 vert - to me, the best balance b/n low mileage and value/depreciation was in the 30k - 40K miles range. That way, you still had the broad base warranty and free service to kick in to take care of any issues that showed up in the first year of ownership (until 4 yrs/50k). So, folowing that theory, you would want an '08 in that mileage range. I suspect the '08 vert prices will drop some over the next several months, as dealers will know vert's move slower in winter and won't want to hold them from now/Nov/Dec until things pick up for vert's in May/June/July. (I bought my '07 vert CPO last Oct. with 36k miles, and got no-cost service extended until 6 yr/100k by BMW NA promotion). Feel free to pm me with any questions - be patient and good luck on your search!
__________________
Regards, Greg


'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)

Last edited by gregb; 11-03-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM
fogger fogger is offline
Registered User
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: Q45
Greg to Greg...excellent feedback. The patience thing is where I need to stay focused. I typically get on a track of wanting to change and move pretty swiftly. I'll keep looking but will stay patient while doing so.

I'd say you got a super deal. This is my second bimmer and it seems to me that prices are up higher than in years past when I was looking. No actual data to back that up but just a review of prices I see these days on CPO cars. There are some deals on non-cpo cars and though I've had no major issues with my 2 5ers, I've felt the extra $ was worth the level of comfort. I don't drive my cars too hard though so maybe that's why I've not had many issues. My wife thinks I'm an aggressive driver but that's the bimmer talking, if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 11-14-2011, 05:40 PM
swestm3 swestm3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta, Ga
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
I just bought a '05 645ci coupe, Silver on black leather and satin chrome finish. 26K miles for $35k. Car is in great condition. One
problem that is fixed, a cracked rear 19" ellipsoid, thought is was a slow leak in the RFT but no. Bought a reconditioned wheel and
put on Hankook Ventas V12 and love the ride. Also bought a Continental Mobility Kit from Tire Rack. I had M3s, an M5. M Roadster and 540.
Loved them all but really like the M5 and now just really love the lines of the 6. Like the vert as well but had one before and
truly only lowered the top a couple times a year in the spring and fall.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM
bob k bob k is offline
Registered User
Location: chicago
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: bmw 645
Smile wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernaBMW View Post
I have a 2006 650 and I absolutely love it.
i love the wheels on your 2006 6 series, what are they..thanks bob
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms