Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46 ZHP, e90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalZHP View Post
Well..., theres your problem right there.
Exactly...even the stock ZHP suspension hates dirt/gravel roads!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawana View Post
Exactly...even the stock ZHP suspension hates dirt/gravel roads!
Sorry, never saw the sign:
"BMWs not allowed!
Don't buy one if you live here!!!"
Old 06-16-2009, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i sedan
Hi, there seems to be a little confusion here... OP asked about Koni FSD vs Bilstein HD, but most of the discussion seems to be about Bilstein Sport.

ISTM that the Bilstein Sport are for lowered cars, and _I believe_ that does NOT include a stock BMW Sport suspension, even though it is lower.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My experience on previous cars:
Bilstein Sport on e36 sedan (non-sport): horrible mistake. Ride was much worse than 1998 e36 M3 or e46 sport. Handling was significantly improved.
Bilstein Sport(?) (I think they were Sport) on e30 318is: wonderful. ride no worse than stock, terrific stability. Quite possible these were HD's or before there was a 'sport' model though... it was over 10 years ago, approx 1998.

Anyways, I feel the ride is a little rough on my 330i, but I love the handling.
With 106k miles, I'm due for an suspension overhaul, probably including bushings due to bad inside rear tire wear, and am torn between the Koni FSDs and Bilstein HDs.

Thanks,
Bob
1991 e30 318is
1984 e30 325e
1980 e21 320is
Old 08-29-2009, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Revived this thread to get an update and opinions from members. I am looking at either Eibach/Koni Yellows or BAV Auto/Bilstein Sports for my Xi. The BAV Auto is about $400 dollars cheaper but I am concerned about ride quality for daily driving on poor roads. I was under the impression from some where that the BAV Auto springs were more compliant than other lowering springs which negated the harshness of the Bilstein sports to a large degree, but I may be wrong. Any opinions or experience on these matters?
Old 08-29-2009, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Koni s look like the daily driver product.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
For the E46 and bad roads the FSD's are a very good choice for the majority of people. Of course if your looking for race type suspension, you will not be happy. I've had the FSD's on our E46 for over 30K miles and still happy with the ride.

Just to note for a heaver car, FSD's may not have the durability one expects. Also put them on our 540iT. V8 with sport suspension yields very high rate springs. The FSD's in the front were totally shot in less than 20K miles. The oscillations from dips were being suppressed by the bump stops. Koni will (probably) warranty them (fronts only) and agreed to switch them for Yellow adjustables which I installed last week (we agreed I should not be changing shocks almost as often as I change oil). At the min rebound setting ride is again BMW like, not harsh. But then a lot of mass up in the front end. I am still waiting for Koni to agree they are worn out to refund the cost of the replacements. Comparing the 20K mile FSD's against the 100K OEM shocks (which I saved) the Konis had about 1/2 the compression and 1/4 the rebound resistance so can't see how they would deny the claim.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Mein Auto: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Well, I had FSD and Rode in a Bimmer that had HD's....

This is quoted from Fanatics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Well, Some of you Guys/Gals know that I just Change/Rebuild my whole Suspension for a New Lower Look...:drool: In this process, I upgraded my FCAB with PowerFlex and RTAB with Meyle HD. At the beginning, 2-3 months owning the ZHP. I lowered it on EiBach Pro-Kit with Koni FSD Shocks. These was the MOST Expensive set I have found for COMFORT and DD. I was really impress with these when I got them. Well, Down to the Point!

Eibach Pro-Kit with Koni's FSD Shocks:

The ride was Awesome. It was like driving a 5/7 Series. Smooth over the bumpy and imperfection of the roads. Cornering was Awesome and very impress over Stock ZHP/Sport Suspension that came with the car. I was at no gap all way around with 19's.

ST/KW Variant 1 CoilOvers:

At first, I was like WTF! It rides terrible. Man I was :facepalm: Since, I just sold the best suspension ride I ever road on. After, 3-4 weeks having them on and breaking them in... They are like 25% stiffer then the Pro-Kit with FSD. :shhh: I was impress! When I took sharp turns and man I was like . I didn't know my car can handle like that...I was so IMPRESS! Made me want to go FASTER! HEHE...I AM TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH MY NEW SETUP.

If I had to do it all over again...Fawk springs and Shocks....GO COILOVERS!

-TrippinBimmer.....

OH...BTW I would like to Thank MIKE @ F1 AutoHaus! He made it Happen for ME! Have a nice night/day....impin:
Old 08-30-2009, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the input, but I am not getting coil overs. I also doubt Texas roads are as consistently crappy as those in Indiana or the rest of the midwest and northeast. However, I understand that the Koni yellows allow for adjustment which would allow me to dial in the right amount of stiffness to the ride. However, if the Billys are not too bad, I might want to save money and go with them. I did a search and came over a thread here where Smolck commented how stiff the Bilsteins were, which concerns me. I sure wish I could drive a car with these shocks before I buy but that seems highly unlikely.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
Thanks for the input, but I am not getting coil overs. I also doubt Texas roads are as consistently crappy as those in Indiana or the rest of the midwest and northeast. However, I understand that the Koni yellows allow for adjustment which would allow me to dial in the right amount of stiffness to the ride. However, if the Billys are not too bad, I might want to save money and go with them. I did a search and came over a thread here where Smolck commented how stiff the Bilsteins were, which concerns me. I sure wish I could drive a car with these shocks before I buy but that seems highly unlikely.
Just remember Koni Yellows allow you to adjust only the rebound stiffness. Compression damping setting is fixed.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:48 AM

Can you explain what the significance of no compression adjustment is and how that affects performance and ride? I am no expert on suspension engineering.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Mein Auto: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Quote:
If u have a Stock Sport Suspension. It will be stiffer then what you are used too. Right now my ride is stiff as the Bilsteins. They are more of the line of sporty ride. Which are nice for Autox and Aggressive Driving. Koni Yellows are Just as nice as Bilsteins... But if u want the Smooth ride. Go with Stock Shocks if u are on Stock Springs or FSD with Ei-Bach Pro Kit Springs.....

-TrippinBimmer
Old 08-30-2009, 10:50 AM

I have the xi which has a unique front suspension and is neither stock nor sport so I don't know how to compare it other than to say I drove an 05 330 with performance suspension and found the DD ride very close to mine, maybe just a bit softer, which surprised me a lot.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Can you explain what the significance of no compression adjustment is and how that affects performance and ride? I am no expert on suspension engineering.
I am not an expert, but in my terms here is your answer. Compression damping is typically the part you will feel when you hit a bump. Believe many would call this the firmness of the shock. I would say the Koni Yellows are in line with the OEM sport suspension shock, no where near the firmness of a Bieilsten gas charged sport shock. The rebound damping is suppressing the effect of the "bounce" following the compression of the spring from hitting a bump. With low rebound damping the car will continue to oscillate after hitting a bump (exactly what the worn FSD's were doing). Too firm a rebound setting and you will feel like a bobble head as the shock wants to quickly stop the oscillation rather than gently damp it out.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 01 330i 09K13GT 83R100RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
I put Bilstein HD's on my car this past August. I've had them on for a while now and to me they seem to be a great balance of comfort and performance. I do not find them too stiff or jarring at all. However, I suspect that roads where I live are a lot smoother and not nearly as bumpy. Our weather is fairly similar to Seattle, so while we get a lot of rain it doesn't get too cold for too long (most years, this year was an exception) so the roads are usually in pretty good shape and we don't have the same problems with frost heaves or roads damaged from the cold.

Never had the Koni's on my car, but I will say after the Bilsteins that as long as I live in Vancouver I'll always put Bilsteins on my cars.
+1. Comfort and performance, rather than stiff, I'd say firm and not jarring at all (this is just for the rear end shocks for now). Next week would be struts installation and feedback thereafter.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: '02 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Kidd View Post
I'll be sure to post:
1) Install description
2) Initial impressions
3) Impressions after some time.

:

So what was the outcome?
Old 12-26-2012, 05:47 AM
Coyote Racing Team

Mein Auto: 2011 Mustang GT
1) Install was pretty straight forward. BavAuto.com has a nice, detailed instruction set that I used. Having the right kind of spring compressor truly helps for the front struts. I also installed a set of Rogue Engineering rear shock brace (which I highly recommend) at the same time.

2) Initial impressions: a large and noticeable improvement over my stock set - but the large difference I noticed could have been due to the original stock set being shot. I may have noticed a similar improvement even if I just replaced the worn out set with an exact set of fresh shocks struts. Regardless, the car felt young again!

3) Impressions after some time: I absolutely made the right choice! The ride during "normal" driving was just as comfortable as the stock set but when pushed, the ride tightened up quite nicely to feel even more comfortable approaching the limit.

I would recommend these to anyone (performance-minded) and if I had to do over again, I would do the exact same thing. I am/was very happy with those shocks/struts!

Steeda Sport Springs / Roush Axle Back / MGW Shifter / BOSS Front & Rear Fascia / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar /
BMR Relocaton Brackets / BMR Lower Control Arms / Staggered AMR Charcoal Rims / BAMA Tuned
Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Updating this old thread.

I ordered Bilstein HD with shock mount kit including shipping, no tax from Turner Motorsports for $763.94. I have a 2001 330i 5spd with sports package, 146K miles. I'll update the post to let you know how I like the shocks after installation.

Edit: 3/21/13
Original springs were not replaced. No need to replace them since the suspension throughout its 146K mile life saw mostly highways with a single person, the driver. I had struts and Bilstein HD shocks and the mounting kit installed. $529.95 (sounds like Earl Schribe) for installation and 4 wheel alignment. The installer asked what those two black optional round plates were used for, not OEM. I called TurnerSports, and Chris said they were used for reinforcement between the shocks and the body. I had them put on. So far, new shocks ride is acceptable with my sports package.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 03-21-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Kidd View Post
1) Install was pretty straight forward. BavAuto.com has a nice, detailed instruction set that I used. Having the right kind of spring compressor truly helps for the front struts. I also installed a set of Rogue Engineering rear shock brace (which I highly recommend) at the same time.

2) Initial impressions: a large and noticeable improvement over my stock set - but the large difference I noticed could have been due to the original stock set being shot. I may have noticed a similar improvement even if I just replaced the worn out set with an exact set of fresh shocks struts. Regardless, the car felt young again!

3) Impressions after some time: I absolutely made the right choice! The ride during "normal" driving was just as comfortable as the stock set but when pushed, the ride tightened up quite nicely to feel even more comfortable approaching the limit.

I would recommend these to anyone (performance-minded) and if I had to do over again, I would do the exact same thing. I am/was very happy with those shocks/struts!
Wanna share what you installed?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Wow, old thread. I had Bilstein Sports on my E36, handling was amazing (springs were H&R Sport), but I think these days I prefer the ride comfort of the ZHP, so plan to go with Koni FSD, based on this forum's recommendations.

I thought stock springs go like 200k? I wasn't gonna change them.

Last edited by Chris90; 03-12-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Coyote Racing Team

Mein Auto: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Wanna share what you installed?
Post# 22.

Koni FSD's and Rogue RSM's.

Steeda Sport Springs / Roush Axle Back / MGW Shifter / BOSS Front & Rear Fascia / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar /
BMR Relocaton Brackets / BMR Lower Control Arms / Staggered AMR Charcoal Rims / BAMA Tuned
Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
I almost regret not getting the H&R Cup Kit. ALMOST. However, due to our road conditions here, stock ride height is probably the best thing for me.