Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 328i Coupe manual
Skywagon

That's a good news you will get a discount. I hope everything goes well. Please give us your thoughts of the improvement after you get it.

Also, since your car is the first guinea pig, ask them to run dyno and give you concrete result. I think as a first customer, u deserve to get that type of treatment.
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars

Last edited by seungykim; 03-25-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
There is some interesting reading here:

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/articl..._vs_manuf.html

Keep us informed, especially any dyno curves on high octane fuel!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Neapolitan,
Interesting read, thanks. seungykim, A before and after dyno run is an excellent idea. I think I know where there's a dyno but I wonder if I can get Powerchip to pay?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 PM

you can definitely ask Powerchip. Since you're the first customer, and I don't think they have a final product that has been fully dynoed yet, you should get some before and after data to make sure you get what u pay for.
If you're local here in LA area, I think Travis and Jeremy would love to do a dyno on yours.
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars
Old 03-26-2009, 09:09 AM

I've scheduled a dyno run, $40.00 isn't too much. I hope they would seriously consider it! Unfortunately I'm in NC.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Seu,
After Powerchip let you down I'm still a little concerned about their professionalism. How many employees do they have, how big are there spaces. Sending off my ECU to gents that change a procedure according to who I talk to makes me a little uneasy. They will not bite on them paying the dyno runs, no big deal. Claim you were going to pay for yours. Plan is a dyno run Mon., ship ECU Tue. and have it back Thur., dyno run Fri. Travis seems much more knowledgeable, Matt intermittently not.
Thanks much.

Last edited by Skywagon; 03-27-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:29 PM

Skywagon

Powerchip has mainly three employees: Travis, Jeremy and Matt. There seem to be about 2-3 other people working there, but I think they do mechanical jobs.

They have a small office and a garage (the shop area) big enough for 2-3 cars.

The person that will do the tuning on your car is Jeremy.

I don't think they will allow any software download, especially when your car is the very first car to install the software on.

I don't know much about the guy, Matt. He's a new person there. The main people there are Travis and Jeremy.

I really hope they have the software all ready and done, so all they have to do is just install it on your ECU and nothing else.

They were going to try different types of software on my car during the dyno test to see which one would suit best for 328i. So, I am not sure what they would be doing to your ECU, especially when all they have is your ECU and not your car.

Yes, I was going to pay for the dyno, only because they insisted on me doing so. I never expected that I'd be doing dyno, to be honest. Since I was going to be the first person trying the software, they said I should get the dyno done, and they will do some more testings of different software on my car to get the best one for 328i. They said I needed to pay for it since it's like I am getting a personalized service just for me, but I am not exactly sure if that was the case, since I was basically being a test guinea pig, and I still had to pay for my own dyno, let alone the software. That's something that worried me. But, I accepted to do so, since they have been always good to me, and I just really wanted to get the software done on my car. If everything went well, I would be writing about how great/bad the software was instead of what I am doing now.

All I can say to you is Good Luck. I really hope that they will do a good job on yours. Please tell us your experience with them once you get the software.
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars
Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 AM

The more I think about this the more worried I become. I'm in NC and they're in CA. How can they tune it to my car when they can't dyno it? I was also told that since I have a BMW Performance exhaust and intake they would do some "special" tuning for me. I'm going to talk to Travis or Jeremy today and then make a decision.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:21 PM

OK, here's what I'm going to try. Left a local speed shop and they seemed inclined to become a dealer for Powerchip. Unfortunately the manager was not there. Matt at Powechip likes the idea. On Monday I'll try and get them together, Have Powerchip send the local shop the cables needed and then send downloads back and forth until a good upgrade results. That way techs will be available at both ends and a good product may result. This will probably take a few days but that's OK.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Way to take the initiative on this, Sky. That's the way. In the end, everybody should be better off.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 03-27-2009, 02:34 PM

Professor,
Thanks, I just talked to the manager of the local speed shop, he's in Vegas on a national sales training meeting. He seems eager and if Powerchip doesn't have any strange costly ideas this may fly. FWIW the local speed shop is actually a company that appears to be trying to go country wide.

http://www.nationalspeedinc.com

Serving Central Connecticut, New England, the entire East Coast and beyond, National Speed Center has been in business since 1969

Last edited by Skywagon; 03-27-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Professional Beer Drinker

Mein Auto: 08 328 and 03 325Ci
Good luck with the upgrades. I will be watching this thread closely for updates...
Old 03-27-2009, 03:54 PM

That's an awesome idea, Skywagon. I like your idea a lot better than sending your ECU around the country. This way, you get to see how stuffs are done and your car will be drivable.

Please keep us informed of your results.
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars
Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 PM

A long story, short version. By accident ended up exchanging numerous e-mails with the owner of Powerchip. They are close to a product and could have a car, 328i, done in a couple of weeks. I'm told by the US reps. I'll be contacted. One will have the choice of downloading the program oneself or sending in the ECU.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
A long story, short version. By accident ended up exchanging numerous e-mails with the owner of Powerchip. They are close to a product and could have a car, 328i, done in a couple of weeks. I'm told by the US reps. I'll be contacted. One will have the choice of downloading the program oneself or sending in the ECU.
I don't understand. That means, they never had a product? Then why did I ever go through the painful process of "dyno scheduling and not getting anything done"? When last told me last time, they had the product, and all they had to do was to install it on my car.

I donno man... I am definitely losing my faith in them. And I actually felt bad for having asked for the refund from them. Good thing I got my money back.
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars

Last edited by seungykim; 03-31-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
I knew something sounded fishy about this and the way they blew you off. Frankly I would wait until others have tried it and reported back before shelling out the money and likely voiding my warranty.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 PM

seungikum,
I feel something may have been lost in translation, not literally, with owner. Many contradictions from U.S. reps and Australia residing owner. Many technical statements by owner when owner should know a layman would not understand. Big price change between owner and U.S. reps that say not much of a change. Finally, a little lecture. Bottom line I think all we can do is wait and see who comes up first, Powerchip of Dinan? I'm still not done with UK folks.

Last edited by Skywagon; 03-31-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
seungikum,
I feel something may have been lost in translation, not literally, with owner. Many contradictions from U.S. reps and Australia residing owner. Many technical statements by owner when owner should know a layman would not understand. Big price change between owner and U.S. reps that say not much of a change. Finally, a little lecture. Bottom line I think all we can do is wait and see who comes up first, Powerchip of Dinan? I'm still not done with UK folks.
Wow, what kind of non-understandable story is that from them?
One thing is for sure. I actually felt bad for asking for refund, and actually apologized to them over the phone for doing so.
I really don't want to talk about what happened between me and them since last monday. However, I did apologize to Travis several times, and they wouldn't accept my apology. Man, now I feel like a real fool.

Travis, I hope you're reading this thread. That's all I am going to say.
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars
Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 PM

The more I think about it, the more I am getting pissed off. WTF!!!

I hope Dinan comes with the product soon. They have more people and more research capability. After all, they are a professional BMW tuner.
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars

Last edited by seungykim; 03-31-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
hmmmmm

Mein Auto: '08 328xi 6 Spd
Not the 1st person they've screwed over it seems....
Old 03-31-2009, 11:42 PM

and I was, if you read the entire thread, actually trying to defend them. Wow, how great does that make me feel??
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars
Old 04-01-2009, 06:49 AM

Seu,
I know the owner read this thread and suggested I not post his e-mails on this forum. The bottom line is the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I was also told that I was not a good candidate for his product. Regardless, Matt said he would have a 328i tuned in a couple of weeks and he'd call me. I guarantee you I'm not holding my breath and I'm not calling him.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 AM

It's funny, because something similar happened to me as well. What do you mean by left handing not knowing what the right handing is doing, btw?
And, it doesn't make sense that you're told you're not a good candidate for the product. You need to be qualified to buy a product in U.S.A.?
I am really disappointed by everything that has happened to you and me both. This is absurd.
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars
Old 04-01-2009, 02:35 PM

I went by my BMW dealer today and got the standard ear full about warranty voiding if one flashes their ECU. One main reason for the visit was to see if BMW was making anything for the 328i's like they did when they produced a camshaft and updated software for the E46/330. I called BMW North America and they said no. Also I went to try and determine where my ECU is and what model it is. Parts department typed my VIN into their computer and came up with MSV80. UK company wanted to know it's type to be certain if they could flash it. As far as I could gather it's under a square plastic cover on the passenger side firewall. getting the cover off is easy but the white plastic cover under that appears much more involved. Also talked to Dinan and squeezed from a gent that it will be "this summer" before anything is done for the 328i's. He claimed that they are working on the new twin turbo 750's and M3's Said they were putting a "stoker engine" I assume he meant a stroked, longer piston travel, modified crankshaft, into a M3. BMW dealer said at one time Dinan was affiliated with BMW.
I'll send the ECU info to the UK and see what they say. Hopefully they can work with it. Until then I guess we'll have to take solace in the fact that when the government starts to ration the gas we'll be able to still get around.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:11 PM

I think for now, I will just stick with modifying my sway bars, both front and back, and start working on other suspension parts. I really would like to take some driving school or some autocross, and I think the suspension upgrade will help a lot for it.
I think it's at least a good thing that you and I went through this painful experience before others got involved. It sux for me, since I drove down there several time, so I wasted my time and gas as well.
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars