Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-20-2009, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 320i
Trans light on - Code P0721 Output Shaft Speed, Sensor Circuit, Range/Performance

I have a 2003 320i (automatic trans/steptronic). A couple months ago the transmission light went on and the car automatically lost power because of being in safe mode I guess. I brought it to the dealership thinking it was a transmission problem, which I have a power-train warranty. The dealership found that the transmission fluid was low and they topped it off, which set me back $500! Apparently it's not a transmission problem, it's a maintenance issue, which is not covered in the warranty. A month later the transmission light came back on and the same issue is happening again. I got an OBDII reader and the fault code I get is P0721 - Output Shaft Speed, Sensor Circuit, Range/Performance. I googled this issue and searched this forum with no luck. What does this mean? Is this a transmission problem? Will my power-train warranty cover this issue? I really don't want BMW to charge me $300 just to diagnosis the car if my warranty won't even cover it? Please help!
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9L DASC Auto
Which tranny do you have?

A few suggestions can be found here:
http://www.europeantransmissions.com...4HP24_diag.pdf

This error indicates that the gear selected does not match the speed ratio (n-ab/n-mot). The engine speed sensor is usually the crank sensor and the transmission sensor is the output sensor that is internal or external to the transmission depending on model. If all the sensors are working correctly, the fault indicates slippage in the transmission. But as the link above indicates, it can also be from bad sensors, bad wiring to/from the sensors, low fluid condition or clutch slippage.

If your gear selector is dirty or bad, it will also cause the code to be thrown because the reported gear from the TCU does not match the actual gear selected for the transmission. Cleaning the range selector can help.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 320i
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean about which tranny? I have an automatic transmission. Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable about fixing cars or troubleshooting. The most i've done on my car was fix the wiring issue for the tail light and that's it. I don't know much about fixing an engine or transmission.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsCo0320 View Post
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean about which tranny? I have an automatic transmission. Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable about fixing cars or troubleshooting. The most i've done on my car was fix the wiring issue for the tail light and that's it. I don't know much about fixing an engine or transmission.
I believe that he is referring to the manufacturer/model.
I am pretty sure that all the 2003 320i had only the A5S325Z (ZF 5HP-19) one.
Who is your powertrain warranty written through?
Old 03-20-2009, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsCo0320 View Post
I have a 2003 320i (automatic trans/steptronic). A couple months ago the transmission light went on and the car automatically lost power because of being in safe mode I guess. I brought it to the dealership thinking it was a transmission problem, which I have a power-train warranty. The dealership found that the transmission fluid was low and they topped it off, which set me back $500! Apparently it's not a transmission problem, it's a maintenance issue, which is not covered in the warranty. A month later the transmission light came back on and the same issue is happening again. I got an OBDII reader and the fault code I get is P0721 - Output Shaft Speed, Sensor Circuit, Range/Performance. I googled this issue and searched this forum with no luck. What does this mean? Is this a transmission problem? Will my power-train warranty cover this issue? I really don't want BMW to charge me $300 just to diagnosis the car if my warranty won't even cover it? Please help!
A "maintenance" issue? You should tell them that your transmission has been maintained exactly per BMW specifications (which I assume is the same as US), which is to say no maintenance whatsoever. Not even a fluid change… ever. How can they possibly claim that you have not maintained it! I think I would have a friendly, polite conversation with the service manager (not your SA) and ask him to kindly honor your warranty per the above, and while he’s at it would he please refund the $500 the other guy stole from you.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Which tranny do you have?

A few suggestions can be found here:
http://www.europeantransmissions.com...4HP24_diag.pdf

This error indicates that the gear selected does not match the speed ratio (n-ab/n-mot). The engine speed sensor is usually the crank sensor and the transmission sensor is the output sensor that is internal or external to the transmission depending on model. If all the sensors are working correctly, the fault indicates slippage in the transmission. But as the link above indicates, it can also be from bad sensors, bad wiring to/from the sensors, low fluid condition or clutch slippage.

If your gear selector is dirty or bad, it will also cause the code to be thrown because the reported gear from the TCU does not match the actual gear selected for the transmission. Cleaning the range selector can help.

what do you mean by "cleaning the range selector"? DO i need to pull it and clean it or something more topical?