Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 540a
brake rotors and pads

After 12 years and 41k miles, my 2003 540 looks to be needing some new front rotors and pads. I am starting to notice some faint vibrations when braking.

What's a good brand(rotors and pads) to get? I have a 2003 540 M sport model.
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2015, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
After 12 years and only 41K, this vibration could be due more to leaky thrust arm bushings rather than rotors/pads. There are many differing opinions on pads. Search for them.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
After 12 years and only 41K, this vibration could be due more to leaky thrust arm bushings rather than rotors/pads. There are many differing opinions on pads. Search for them.
Suspension is certainly something to look at ... but ... I ... for one ... would look more directly first than indirectly ...

As Fudman alluded to, lots of things can CAUSE vibration, but, if it's BRAKE-related vibration, the FIRST thing I'd consider is the most common (Occam's Razor) which is that YOU (the OP) caused the vibration (by your braking habits).

It's almost NEVER the rotor, by the way, although the temporary cure is almost ALWAYS the rotor (while the long term solution is for you to change your braking habits).

Such are the riddles when you begin to UNDERSTAND the enigma.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i m-sport
My 530i steering started shaking a couple of weeks back.
I got under and found I could twist the tension arm by hand.
Replacements are going in shortly.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 98 528i 5-spd sport pkg
The OP may well have pad/rotor issues, seems a logical 1st place to evaluate. I have personally experienced shudder/vibration when braking and it was in fact due to the brakes, mine had more miles by a ways than OP but ALL shudder went away upon installing set of new pads and rotors.
His car looks like a Sunday driver, how lucky! I'd say stock brake components are fine, unless his weekend drives are in the racetrack
Old 07-23-2015, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 540a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
The OP may well have pad/rotor issues, seems a logical 1st place to evaluate. I have personally experienced shudder/vibration when braking and it was in fact due to the brakes, mine had more miles by a ways than OP but ALL shudder went away upon installing set of new pads and rotors.
His car looks like a Sunday driver, how lucky! I'd say stock brake components are fine, unless his weekend drives are in the racetrack
Exactly. My wife's Mazda CX9 had this same symptom last year. I change the rotors and pads and it has been vibration free since then.