Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 330Ci ZSP/Manual
No top down if empty trunk set-up for full

Did anyone catch that comment from one of the reviewers that you need a spacer in place in the trunk to lower the top. I'm assuming you leave this spacer at home if you need the full trunk space. So, at any time away from home (road trip) if you need the full trunk space you will not be able to lower the top into an empty trunk because you don't have the spacer with you.

Only one review mentioned it but it got me thinking about the inconvenience.
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Htd Seats = 4-season vert

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR
I wouldn't be surprised. Convertible hardtops, as with everything else, are a compromise. You get the insulation and security of a hardtop, but they take up more room, are heavier, and are more expensive to maintain (generally) than a ragtop. I had a 3000GT with a convertible hardtop in 1996; it was sexy as hell, but in that particular car you actually had ZERO trunk space with the hardtop folded. (There was a sensor in the trunk and if you had anything at all in the trunk, it wouldn't let the top fold down.)
Old 03-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by westface View Post
Did anyone catch that comment from one of the reviewers that you need a spacer in place in the trunk to lower the top. I'm assuming you leave this spacer at home if you need the full trunk space. So, at any time away from home (road trip) if you need the full trunk space you will not be able to lower the top into an empty trunk because you don't have the spacer with you.

Only one review mentioned it but it got me thinking about the inconvenience.
It's probably the same kidn of thing that was on my 07 335. ....when the thing is up you have more room in the trunk...but it must be down in order to leave adequate space for the top. ...it obviously minimizes the room in the trunk.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 330Ci ZSP/Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
It's probably the same kidn of thing that was on my 07 335. ....when the thing is up you have more room in the trunk...but it must be down in order to leave adequate space for the top. ...it obviously minimizes the room in the trunk.
Looks like I misread it. This is probably like the 335.

BMW Z4 sDrive35i (2009) CAR review
By Ben Barry

19 March 2009 23:00

It says something that the first-generation BMW Z4 is already off-sale, yet it still looks ahead of its time, and is still fun to drive. The second-generation model, then, has quite an act to follow. CAR has just driven it, in twin turbo 35i trim – a 23i and 30i are also available – and we can report that it’s a very good car, but quite a departure from the model it replaces.

This new BMW Z4 looks a bit bigger to me...
It is. The old 3.0-litre soft-top was 4091mm long, 1781mm wide and 1299mm tall and weighed 1340kg, where the new one is 148mm longer, 9mm wider, but 9mm lower, and a full 240kg heavier. The proportions are similar – especially that cartoonishly long snout and the doors’ side scallop – but the rear is less truncated than before, giving more luggage space.

And some stowage capability for that folding hard-top, I’d say.
Indeed. This compact two-piece roof folds quickly (around 20 seconds) and neatly into the boot (the rear screen section first lifts up to sit on top of the roof, then both sections drop into the boot) at the press of a button, but only if the roof storage tray is in place. This tray ensures that no luggage will get in the roof’s way (and in doing so reduces stowage space from 310 to 180 litres) but has to be manually put in place even if the boot’s empty. You also can’t open or close the roof unless you’re completely stationary – because the process would momentarily obscure the rear parking brake, apparently.

There are worse hardships in this world, sure, but it can be quite annoying to be forced to come to a complete stop, press the button, then find that your empty boot won’t accept the roof because the tray isn’t in place.

Roof up, it’s coupe quiet, and with it down you’re very well protected from the airflow, even at high speed.

>> Click 'Next' below to read how the new BMW Z4 is on the road

Click Thumbnails to Enlarge

Statistics
How much? £37,060
On sale in the UK: Now
Engine: 2979cc 24v twin-turbo straight-six, 302bhp @ 5800rpm, 295lb ft @ 1300rpm
Transmission: Seven-speed dual-clutch, rear-wheel drive
Performance: 5.1sec 0-62mph, 155mph, 31.4mpg, 210g/km CO2
How heavy / made of? 1580kg/steel
How big (length/width/height in mm)? 4239/1790/1291

Need to know
CAR's rating

Handling

Performance

Usability

Feelgood factor

Readers' rating
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
The "thing" is hinged and stays in the car; keep it up for more space and down to limit cargo/retract the top.

I was surprised to see Tumi luggage would fit, not a chance of that in our current 99 & 01 M Rdstrs.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 06-30-2009, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
So Randy, was this a customer's car, or is there something else you want to tell us
1998 Z3 2.8L retired
Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
So Randy, was this a customer's car, or is there something else you want to tell us
This particular car still belongs to Yark BMW; the salesman asked if I would take it home and take a few pictures. See: http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album142

I really wish there was more to tell...

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 06-30-2009, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
This particular car still belongs to Yark BMW; the salesman asked if I would take it home and take a few pictures.
Well, that's how it starts, doesn't it
Of course, IMO, the best way to buy one is through Europen Delivery (ED). You can tell all your friends you got ED.
Serously, though, let me know if you're interested in picking one up in Europe.
1998 Z3 2.8L retired
Old 06-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
The "thing" is hinged and stays in the car; keep it up for more space and down to limit cargo/retract the top.

I was surprised to see Tumi luggage would fit, not a chance of that in our current 99 & 01 M Rdstrs.

Great pics. Thanks!

I was looking through the gallery (thanks again) and it made me wonder - would the smaller, but thicker bag fit in the back of the trunk and the larger bag fit in the front? It looks to me like it would and then the smaller thicker bag wouldn't have to be tilted up and the panel wouldn't have to squish it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 06-30-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Quote:

Will they fit, and still allow you to lower the roof?
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bten View Post
Will they fit, and still allow you to lower the roof?
Yes.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **