Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328ci
Exclamation Throttle Response

My 328i auto has 90miles on it. Ive noticed in this passed few weeks that their is a slight delay between my foot pressing on the throttle and the take off of the car? ive heard that this can sometimes be because of driving in traffic the computer/tranny gets used to stop and go driving. Is this true? Is their a way to reset the throttle/and/or tranny? Factory settings?

its only a slight delay..maybe a second..but definitly noticeable for a BMW fiend.
Ads by Google
Old 03-27-2009, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323i
I have the same issue with my 323i. I have always wondered but have tried to forget about it. Before the bmw i had a turbocharged volvo and the throttle response was amazing so from that to the bmw seemed like a big drop in response.

Is this just a "bmw" thing?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Yes, with autos, you *can* reset the throttle/trans settings, but I forget the exact sequence (I`m a stick guy :-), but it`s very easy to do....try the SEARCH function....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-27-2009, 10:39 PM

I have tired the search function but their is no definitive response to this problem...maybe Smolck of wisdom will add to this....
Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to dakarm
Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe, 08 MCS JCW S1
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261285
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S
Old 03-28-2009, 07:28 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Yes, with autos, you *can* reset the throttle/trans settings, but I forget the exact sequence (I`m a stick guy :-), but it`s very easy to do....try the SEARCH function....
Not on mine, I have a cable!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarm View Post
Hmmm, I might have to try this. Something tells me the doctor that owned my car before me might drive a wee bit different. She also might not recognize her own car.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Mein Auto: '07 E92 330i Manual
You could need a throttle cable adjustment or new cable, then again, it could be automatic gearbox related (the intelligent computer system).

18" alloys - Sport seats - "Professional" Navigation - Bluetooth - DAB tuner - Extended interior light package - PDC
Heated front seats - Beige Dakota leather - Dark grey poplar trim - Anthracite headliner - Advanced loudspeaker system

Old 03-28-2009, 11:18 AM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
It can also be related to the fuel filter I think.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci 5M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Not on mine, I have a cable!
man, u r showing off your privilege again

hey, since this throttle reset is about the drive-by-wire thing, i think it should work on both manual and auto w/ drive-by-wire (not your of coz )
but i've been told by some of the festers here that it's only for manual...
Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 328i, 2003 330i
Change your fuel filter. I had a decent lag on my 328, changed out my fuel filter and it responded like new again.

If putting it in sports mode removes the problem, you need to reset the trans following the above settings however.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:05 AM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
Change your fuel filter. I had a decent lag on my 328, changed out my fuel filter and it responded like new again.

If putting it in sports mode removes the problem, you need to reset the trans following the above settings however.
+1 one both.

The fuel filter DIY is very easy, you just need to get the car on air.

http://bimmerinfo.com/diy/fuel-filter/
Old 03-29-2009, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 01 BMW 325i
First off I don't know about this on a 2000 but you can try it. Put your key in position 2 (as far as possible w/o starting) and then push the gas pedal to the floor at least 30 secs. People are prolly going to knock me for saying this and say that it doesn't work but I've seen many posts saying that it does sooooo here you go. Plus, it can't hurt.

NOW A MEMORY
Old 03-29-2009, 04:24 PM

Yeah im gonna give that a shot tonight after work..and ill report back to see if there is any change. The fuel filter does sound right, and this could be the cause of some other issues that ive been having with starts..
Old 03-29-2009, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 01 BMW 325i
Make sure you get the fuel filter online not the dealer. Dealer is a little over $100, online is about $50

NOW A MEMORY
Old 03-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Ok, since as Goldman said, "can't hurt", tried the 30-second throttle reset this morning before setting out for work. Once operating temperature was reached (three blocks and one traffic light later), response does feel tighter and snappier. Of course, since once I got on the expressway there was scant traffic, testing was somewhat limited. Lunchtime should provide more opportunities to try it out. Still have to change the fuel filter anyway.

2006 325Ci
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcoul View Post
Ok, since as Goldman said, "can't hurt", tried the 30-second throttle reset this morning before setting out for work. Once operating temperature was reached (three blocks and one traffic light later), response does feel tighter and snappier. Of course, since once I got on the expressway there was scant traffic, testing was somewhat limited. Lunchtime should provide more opportunities to try it out. Still have to change the fuel filter anyway.
It's all in your head.....

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 PM

I tried the 30 second gas pedal this afternoon. After about 10 seconds I could hear what sounded like the tranny clicking over or something resetting...I drove it for a few minutes after and it seemed to help but nothing amazing. Only thing that I was kind of worried about was the CEL came on wile I did it..then once i started the car it was gone.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Who is John Galt?

Send a message via AIM to Mo.licious
Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci Convertible
This is really interesting. I think it might be a BMW myth, but I'm curious to hear peoples' experiences. I tried it today, and didn't hear any clicking of any sort, but I thought my ride felt a bit perky right afterward. I could also be due to the fact that I had just replaced my cooling systems and I wanted to feel something?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
It's all in your head.....
Ok, so doing the 30-second "throttle reset" routine had the same effect on throttle lag as dancing naked around the car and babbling mumbo-jumbo...

However, this morning I was passing by the friendly local tire shop and asked the guys to help me change the gas filter. Thanks to the big ramp they've got, the task was easily performed in less than 20 minutes, and that's including all the yakking. Plus since they had never done this on a Bimmer, they called it a "learning experience" and didn't charge a penny.

Now I can say this definitely had an effect on throttle lag. The old filter came directly from the factory and we're talking of 3.5 years since the car started rolling (mostly city driving ), 47k KM and an unknown number of stops at shady gas stations. It wasn't "clogged" per-se but there was significant resistance compared to the new one. 100KM later I can say that about 60-70% of the lag I was experiencing is gone, especially the mushiness I was feeling around mid-RPMs after a decent launch. Also worth noting that since the engine tracks its gas pedal better, there should be improved mileage since you don't stomp on it so much.

So, if you want to improve throttle response and the car has significant mileage since last engine work, consider changing the gas filter as a first step.

2006 325Ci