Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i E39 M54 Engine
Vanos rebuild time

I have a 2001 e39 525i that needs a VCG replacement. While I'm at it I need to replace the gasket for the housing around the Vanos assembly. I have a 160k on the engine and the Vanos has never been rebuilt, so I think it prudent to do it at the same time as the VCG. I got the bieson kit and I've pretty much memorized the procedure. What I don't want to do is break something like brittle plastic parts or screws that hold things together. Is there anything I should be careful of especially when extracting screws that actually hold the Vanos on the engine?
Ads by Google
Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bem-ster View Post
While I'm at it
There is a thread on what to do "while you're at it", over here:
- Typical tandem DIY repair jobs combined while you're already there (1)

For the vcg, you'll want to watch out for these gotchas:
- How to replace the E39 V8 valve cover gasket (1) & how to replace the E39 I6 VCG (1) & which VCG brand to buy (1) & what VCG lubricants to use (1) & what can go wrong when replacing the VCG valve cover gasket which may cause subsequent plastic engine cover leaks (1)

I would think most people who remove the VANOS unit would also rebuild the VANOS, and then test the before and after results:
- How to objectively test VANOS seals in operation (1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VanosHousingSeals.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	458251  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 08-13-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Might want to spend some time on the Beisan forum to discover "Gotchas."

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
I just finished compiling all the gotchas for the VCG job, but I haven't gotten yet to the gotchas for a VANOS rebuild job, so, that's good advice.

I belatedly just noticed the OP ordered a kit already, so the OP will have the seals in hand.

Would the OP kindly do the team a favor and simply measure the seals for this compendium:
  1. thickness of a cross section
  2. outer diameter
    • Optionally, the inner diameter
And report it back to this thread so that we can keep a complete list of o-ring sizes for the entire E39:
- What are the sizes of all the commonly replaced o-rings in the E39 (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:45 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Use a properly sized and calibrated torque wrench when retorquing your bolts.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528i M52TU
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
+1

While there, carefully study the DIY on their website. It is complete and makes this job possible for those of us with "limited" mechanical experience. It's not that hard, when doing along with the VCG job.

Only thing I can add is to understand the way the DIY describes using an x-acto knife to cut the old seals and o-rings. For me, it worked very well when I used an "up-and down" motion, just like other great things in life, rather than trying to cut across the top. Take your time, since you do not want to scratch the piston surface.

Good luck and enjoy the results!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Have found this to help--Before installing the Vanos Pistons--Use some 2000 grit paper sprayed down with teflon lube and lightly add a type of crosshatch to the Vanos cylinder bores..This won't hurt a thing and will allow the new seals to break in quicker. Of course clean the bores before installing the pistons--and spray the bores with clean teflon lube before installing the pistons.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Use a properly sized and calibrated torque wrench when retorquing your bolts.
In case the OP needs want this information, typing calibrate in the bestlinks shows how to calibrate a torque wrench:
- How to calibrate your torque wrench tools (1)
Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Vanos

My car runs like new and I'm thinking, why kick a sleeping dog only opening Pandora's box? The Vanos seems to be functioning accordingly. I have no real reason to rebuild the Vanos other than the fact I have a leaking outer vanos gasket. Is there a way to just remove the housing and replace the gasket and not disturb the Vanos itself? Or should I bite the bullet and just rebuild it anyway. I have the bison kit.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:33 AM

If you have to replace the gasket,,,yeah rebuild it while it down..The rings have helped many--I would have sold my cars years ago if weren't for these new rings..
Old 08-13-2014, 07:29 AM

Vanos Rebuild or NOT

Maybe I should rephrase my question. Can I just replace the Vanos housing gasket and NOT do the rebuild? I have oil leaks in two places Valve Cover Gasket and the Vanos Gasket. My spark plug wells are clear with no oil leaking in to the wells, however being I have to do the VCG those spark plug well seals have to be replaced at the same time. What I do not want to encounter is a Pandora's Box because I decided to "rebuild" the Vanos. It can be a tough call.

Personally I would just as soon rebuild the Vanos being I will be at that stage anyway. I hope this is making since? What I don't want happening is breaking something or stripping a bolt. That happened to me one time while doing an Oil Change. The Oil Filter (Mann) got stuck in the Oil Stand Cavity, requiring the removal of the Oil Stand to clean out all the remaining filter. Actually that became a good thing because the Oil Stand Seal had already failed and needed replacing. Unfortunately, what should have only taken 20 minutes to do ended up @ the Indy Shop and $609.00 later. So I'm certain you can understand my reluctance to the "Vanos Rebuild"?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:17 AM

You can just replace the gasket. If you do, you will be able to tell if the o-rings are shot...the pistons will slide back and forth as you tilt the unit. At least, that is my understanding. If I am incorrect, I'm sure you will see another post. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 AM

To replace the gasket your mentioning,,will require to remove the Vanos...From what I feel your concerned about after reading your post above--let me add this--the areas that your going to worry about breaking something will be from removing the Vanos itself...not from the rebuilding of the Vanos...That is the easy part,,belive me...the only thing that could get you on the rebuild would be turning the left hand bolts the wrong way--and when doing this procedure--I always make sure to have a couple of extra just incase I snap one...If you do , by chance snap one--it's no big deal to make the fix yourself--just dismantle the Vanos and turn them out with a small pick tool--like an ice pick for example
Old 08-13-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKlop View Post
You can just replace the gasket. If you do, you will be able to tell if the o-rings are shot...the pistons will slide back and forth as you tilt the unit. At least, that is my understanding. If I am incorrect, I'm sure you will see another post. Good luck.
Heh heh ... maybe that's the elusive "objective" test we've been looking for so long!
- How to objectively test VANOS seals in operation (1)

See also:
- BMW M62TU engine VANOS seals DIY (1) & where to buy M62TU VANOS seals (1) & how to make your own VANOS tools (1) & socket tools (1) & how to objectively test VANOS seals in operation (1)
Old 08-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 525i 2002
mine 525 has 230k on it and 0-100km accelerates in 8sec (s mode).i reckn its best gauge about vehicles overall condition(meaning power).so there is no need to do vanos seal(because we have 8 sec : )) and + no rough engine start
Old 08-14-2014, 01:55 AM

BB,

I should have added that one of my pistons, don't remember if it was intake or exhaust, did slide/glide back and forth when I turned the vanos. Nice and snug after changing the rings/seals.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:21 AM

Both of mine slid around like they were packed in ice,,,afterwards,,the problem never came back,,,for over 150,000 miles
Old 08-14-2014, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
most people w/out vanos problems live in warm temps

during all but winter my 2000 528 MT performs wonderfully. In winter on initial warm up the idle fluctuates , I believe a sign vanos rebuild is needed. But for me the time, expense and lack of mechanical ability required means I will live with it.My original vanos was replaced by dealer 5 years ago obviously with the same unit .After five years problem returned, but without the stall problem, just fluctuating idle.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jygesq View Post
during all but winter my 2000 528 MT performs wonderfully. In winter on initial warm up the idle fluctuates , I believe a sign vanos rebuild is needed. But for me the time, expense and lack of mechanical ability required means I will live with it.My original vanos was replaced by dealer 5 years ago obviously with the same unit .After five years problem returned, but without the stall problem, just fluctuating idle.
I had vanos issues in Southern California, and have them again in North Carolina.