Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-21-2015, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i E39
2002 540i Engine Failsafe Prog and DSC

I have a 2002 540i with 237km or 147k miles. I drove the car three hours at highway speed to a cottage in very hot weather and parked it for three days. Lots of rain fell and car was in the open. Started it up on third day and DSC indicator was on. Would not go off using button. Decided to drive home. Went over about 15km / 9mi of really rough dirt road and even though I was taking it easy the car took a real shaking. About one and a half hours of driving at highway speed, 110 kph / 68 mph, in a long slow curve I get the "Engine Failsafe Prog" error. Engine was not under load as I was literally coasting around bend.

Car did not drop in "Limp" mode and I drove it home for another hour and a half. Plenty of power.

Today I took to shop and mentioned that someone else on forum had DSC and Engine Failsafe Prog. One of the fixes along with some gaskets was Vacuum leaks.

They put on diagnostic tool. ECM failed, EWS failed, ABS failed, Lew failed, IC failed, SRS failed, ZKE failed, AIC failed, MID failed, LRA failed. Seven items passed, yea.

Some talked of one module failing causing others to fail. I suggested loose or corroded connection. Remember I drove 15k / 9mi of brutal gravel road. They reset errors and test drove. LEW failed again. There is a $300 cdn sensor.

They tightened battery terminals. Were tight but said they could put a turn on them. Great. Last year got new OEM water cooled alternator.

I'm hoping someone might steer me to another primary connector that could use with a disconnect and reconnect or if anyone might be able to suggest primary module that would cause other downstream to fault.

Right now I have no indicator lights on and car driving fine. Current shop plan is for me to drive and if it faults again we run diagnostics again.

Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2015, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 540i 6MT
CODES what were the codes
Old 08-21-2015, 11:59 AM

I don't think I have these. My error for not asking. I received one long slip with all the failures listed as "Faults", no codes and then these short stubs that I can't relate back to long slip. The short slips are titled "Report of diagnosis" and they report in three columns, No., DTC and Description. Tickets say;

NO DTC Description

1 21 Function, inlet-camshaft control, bank 1
2 75 Signal, potentiometer
3 77 Signal potentiometer 2

Next ticket

1 OF power on reset

Next ticket

1 76 DME/DDE does not fulfill torque request
2 68 Steering angle sensor, internal

Next ticket

1 04 Slider fault (adjustment operation)

Next ticket

1 3 LRA: Sensor fault, rear
2 2 LRA: Sensor fault front

Next ticket

1 70 Seat occupancy detector

Next ticket

1 3 no valid status response of Telephone (I think this is okay because mine is not equipped)

Likely these are not what you are asking for.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: e39 1997 528i
Not to sure on the 540 but on my 528 a bad wheel speed sensor put my transmission into limp mode. In a 528 a bad front WSS will cause havoc on the traction control system and make the TCM go into limp mode.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 02 540i 6MT
How is your battery? low voltage causes a bevy of problems.

I would check battery at terminals, then I would clear codes and what codes re-appear. Then start backwards.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 AM

Thanks.

Battery is OEM purchased March 2013. With engine off I measured voltage from positive terminal to ground. 12.42V. Ran same test this time car idling, AC on, fan at max, headlights on with radio on. voltage fluctuated between 13.83v and 13. 87v. Alternator is less than one year old.

Not sure if I ran this test correctly. If not, with direction I will rerun.

The shop cleared all codes, test drove and LEW showed error. (Steering angle). DSC appears happy as indicator light is out. Lamp okay as it shows up when engine started.

Thanks again.