Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 528I
Windshield Wipers Possesed ... HELP !!!

The car is a 97 528i with 240k
No work done in the past 6 months other than battery and alternator.

So the past few weeks I've noticed my wipers just acting strange. Sometimes they'd work normal, but sometimes no matter what speed setting you put them on they would go the same speed. Then they started only working in high speed or when is pull down on the arm for a single wipe. Then a few nights back , just after we had all that horrific rain and flooding here in Baton Rouge, La. , I was out a couple miles from home in the rain using the wipers and they just shut off in "mid-wipe". They were just stuck halfway . So I made it to my destination and ran in to grab some diapers for my daughter. I came out, started the car and the wipers came on just fine. Before I could get out of the parking lot they had froze up again. So thankfully I make it home. Then this morning I was leaving and wanted to clear the morning dew from my windshield . So I pulled down for a single wipe and the wipers came on, stayed on and would not turn off. Until about 30 seconds later they quit in "mid-wipe" and then wouldn't respond to any position I put the switch in. So as it sets now.... When I first start the car, they will run on high speed for 30 seconds and then stop. Every time I restart the car it will do this....allow them to turn on for 20-30 seconds.
Now I've been reading and I keep hearing about the 2 relays. To me it just seems to be an issue with the switch in the steering column. Anyone experienced this before ? Any ideas on where to start ? Thanks !
Old 08-20-2016, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
This might help: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...nt-E85-E46-E39

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528I
Great Link Ed ! Thank you ! Just went outside (it's raining again) I turned on the wipers and just as the op in the link stated, beating on the steering column worked. They worked on all three speeds after pounding on the column a few times. So I believe I've verified the problem. While I'm in there, I'll go ahead and fix the steering wheel adjustment switch as well. It hasn't worked in some time. Thanks again, at least now I have a direction to go in.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search