Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 87 325is, 02 530i Sport
The fine print on the BBA auctions says that not all modules can be repaired, and if that turns out to be the case for a unit you send them they wil refund you all but a $35 bench fee and the cost of shipping. That was one of the decisive factors for me choosing to go with them. Others included winning the auction for its starting price, and some of the not-so-positive comments of late about ATE.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
What is the general feedback of Cheap ABS ??
Matt offered me to test the module for free, if I shipped it to him with a return address shipping label in the shipping box. If he found it defective in any way, AND if it was reparable, then he would call me and work out the payment.

He has been around awhile too, but I dont know what his real capabilities are compared to BBA, ATE, or the others.

I agree, that BBA seems to have a pretty good reputation.

I dont even mind (at this point) even paying $470 for the new one, rather than screwing with it any more, IF I really knew that was what it was.

Last edited by 530i-bie; 10-19-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:18 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I thought I had seen all the possible options when I wrote over here:

8) If your ABS module is suspected, you have only the following 5 options:
- OPTION 0: You can do nothing and just not have ABS or DSC (not a good choice for anyone on this message board)
- OPTION 1: You can attempt a 3-part rebuild yourself (unfortunately we don't have enough information to help you yet)
- OPTION 2: You can send your module out for a rebuild (about 1/3 to 1/2 can be rebuilt but you'll have no speedo in the interim)
- OPTION 3: You can buy a rebuilt module (you'll have to add approximately $100 for a VIN recode at the dealer)
- OPTION 4: You can buy a brand new module (you'll again have to pay for a BMW dealership recoding to your VIN)

But, now we have a new option:
- OPTION 5: Remove the four discrete DSC, BRAKE, ABS & SES LEDs from the back of the instrument cluster. Voila! Return your leased car w/o penalty!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:10 PM

BlueBee,
Thankyou for your response, however, I was hoping for some more details pertaining to the my 'system' problem. I was also pursuing help in diagnosing the DSC Compressor circuit, and then after a response from Jeffstri, where he offered the step by step procedure for troubleshooting the DSC pump circuit...
I then asked 'where the pressure sensor was for the Precharge/Compressor circuit ??'

I 'do not' know if it is my Module or not, nor do I have 'any confidence' that the compressor is good, or bad...

Please read the 10 or so previous posts before this one.

If you have anything further to offer, then I am willing to attempt to diagnose further.

It is not a lease, it is my wife's personal vehicle... and NO, removing the LED's is not an option...
but if the module is OK, (which by age, and the many other forum posts, it is probably due to die...) I still do not wish to spend several thousands $$ to 'any' technician (Indy or Stealer) to simply guess, which to this point, who knows.

Please, read the other posts by me, and kindly offer your vast knowledge. I really want to fix it, but right now, if I let them do it, it could be $3000... I dont see many on this forum paying that kind of money...
Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Some say...

Mein Auto: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post

My Check Engine Light, ABS, Brake and DSC lights came on and the speedometer stopped working.

I tested the wheel speed sensors and they were fine.

Won an auction on Ebay for BBA to rebuild the module for $130.00. I'll mail the module tomorrow and hopefully they will fix it..

I'll let you know if it works out.
Got the module back and installed!!! All the lights are gone! Woohoo!

Here's a picture of the rebuilt module. It actually looks better in person the camera flash makes the sealant stand out.

Hats off to BBA Reman, they even overnighted the module back to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00934.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	251422  
Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Awesome. Mine is headed their way Monday. Thanks for the update!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Just got my module back from BBA. One day turnaround time. Sent on Tuesday, back today (overnight shipping as I live about 50 miles from their shop). ABS/DSC/Brake lights are off. SES light still on but it sounds like that code needs to be cleared.

2003 525i 5spd/PP/SP/CWP/Xenons/Sapphire/Black
CDV Delete
Dice Silverline
TCU Bluetooth
Old 10-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Some say...

Mein Auto: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutterdog View Post
SES light still on but it sounds like that code needs to be cleared.

It will turn off after you drive it a couple times...
Old 10-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
All the lights are gone! Woohoo!
As Agent15 said, "Awesome". It's very nice to receive updates, especially when these updates almost always reinforce the current solution or provide new answers to the old problems, both of which are reassuringly welcome.

And, thanks for the pic. BBA certainly did a much better job at sealing your ABS control module than did ATE for me!

BTW, if you have a scanner, can you check if you still have a hidden P0500 speed sensor inoperative DTC thrown.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
Did anyone ever find a pin out for the module with the vertical connector? This one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

My traction control and abs light lit up on my dash and the car would not shift. (1998 528i) After some research I found that it was likely a wheel speed sensor, so I tested them all today using the diode method with volt meter at the senor connector at the wheels because I could not find the pin out for this module. They all tested fine, but I would like to be able to test them from the main connector just to be sure.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 540i6
Hi, first time posting here, but I am a member over at bf.c where I was directed to this amazing in depth thread. I went out and bought a cheap multimeter with a diode test since mine did not have this function. When at rest the diode test read out is 1, so I'm assuming this is this meters infinite (strange, eh?). All sensors tested just under 2 when hooked up the right way (ie: 13+,29-) and read 1 when done the opposite way.

However when I try to do the resistance test I get no reading. Is the resistance test redundant when I've already done the diode test? If not, what am I doing wrong that makes it so I am not getting a reading?

edit: a little bit of history on my problem... I have the three lights, but my speedo and tach and everything else works just fine. I had the codes read by a friend with a OBDII computer thing and it said that both right side wheel speed sensors where bad and it also threw a code for iirc a pressure sensor. Seeing as I passed all the diode tests and the codes being thrown are for multiple sensors, would it be safe to assume I just need an abs module rebuild?

Last edited by boomshakalaka; 11-03-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 PM

I'd say the chances are very good that you need a rebuild. My lights were intermittent, and my codes were for both left side sensors. The left rear sensor feeds data to the speedo/odo, so more often than not when I got the light trifecta, those two would stop working as well - although that was not always the case.

My BBA-refurbished module is due to be delivered tomorrow, so I'm hoping those lights are a thing of the past.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent15 View Post
My lights were intermittent, and my codes were for both left side sensors.
Likewise. My lights were not only intermittent, but varied (sometimes one, sometimes two, sometimes all three lights) for a while even though all my gauges worked just fine (including speedometer, odometer, and fuel gauge).

Even my codes varied, from a pressure sensor to a wheel sensor.

Point is (as Bill eloquently points out elsewhere), the fancy schmancy diagnostic just aren't going to give you the answer you're looking for. I know. I know. It took me a year to figure this out.

BTW, the most common reason for erroneous DMM tests seems to be people using too fat a wire to fit into the really minuscule holes in the ABS control module harness connector.

So make sure you test that you're getting continuity to ground!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 AM

I thought I would send a reply feedback/update to my problem...
Since I could not find anything wrong with any of the inputs to the ABS module, and no one had any other hopeful suggestions (thanks to all who offered input on this thread !!),
I sent my module off to BBA Reman. I won an EBAY auction for their service for $168.00, paid the 2nd day shipping option. Had excellent email communications with them. They received my unit on Monday, tested (and confirmed a failure internal to the unit), repaired, retested, and had it back out the door on Tuesday afternoon. I got the unit back on Thursday, installed it, and JOY-JOY-JOY no more DSC light. System works again, and the DSC button actually turns it on, and off, again. I then reset the P0500 error code on the OBDII port, and the SES light went off. Rescanned, and no errors found.

So, it was NOT the DSC precharge pump... (saved $$$) that the indy said it was...
and did NOT have to buy a new Module (saved bigger $$$) that the stealer wanted to do...(even though their diagnosis 'was' correct)

I guess my point is: for only a couple hundred dollars, and the fact that soooo many folks has the ABS Module go bad, you might as well send it off and have it rebuilt. If they dont find anything wrong with the module, they only charge a $35.00 'bench/testing' fee.
The module is 'going to fail' at some point in time, and with BBA giving a 'lifetime warranty' on the rebuild, it is worth it to eliminate that well known failure point.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530i-bie View Post
Since I could not find anything wrong with any of the inputs to the ABS module
Thanks for providing the feedback. The anecdotal evidence is as valuable as anything else and we appreciate your taking the time to close the loop. As you know, that's the most common situation ...

Quote:
and no one had any other hopeful suggestions
Most suggestions are as simple as DMM-testing the 4 wheel sensors, and, if they're good, have the ABS control module fixed

Quote:
I won an EBAY auction for their service for $168.00, paid the 2nd day shipping option.
Good for you. Most people pay from $150 (including shipping) to $300 for a rebuild from either BBA, MM, or ATE (in that order by both price & quality, high to low).

Quote:
had it back out the door on Tuesday afternoon.
Same experience for most of us. It doesn't take them long to fix the one bad wire. As you know, it's generally a single steel tack-welded wire that lifts off its gold bondpad; but the nice thing is that the rebuilders (presumably) run tests before sending it back to you (that's presumably what you're paying for).

Quote:
JOY-JOY-JOY no more DSC light.
As you know, that's most of our experiences (including mine) ... one JOY for each light of the trifecta.

Quote:
I then reset the P0500 error code on the OBDII port, and the SES light went off.
My experience also. My SES light went out soon after a few starts (three, I think) and a few miles (about fifty miles IIRC); but the "hidden" P0500 lasted longer than that and actually caused me to fail California "emissions" inspection (which fail any anomaly whatsoever, even sans the SES light).

Quote:
Rescanned, and no errors found.
Just for others, you still need to drive a while for the OBDII data banks to fill up if you're planning on doing a (California at least) emissions inspection as they will fail you if the codes were recently cleared.

Quote:
So, it was NOT the DSC precharge pump...
I don't think anyone here thought it was.

Quote:
(saved $$$) that the indy said it was...
Interestingly, the indys don't know what we (collectively) know. The indys tend to rely too much on the diagnostic scanners, which, as we've often said, just can not tell you that the ABS control module is the faulty component.

Quote:
did NOT have to buy a new Module (saved bigger $$$) that the stealer wanted to do...(even though their diagnosis 'was' correct)
Yup. It seems you'll pay almost a thousand at the stealer, at least five hundred at an indy, a couple hundred to the rebuilders, and free if you fix it yourself.

Quote:
you might as well send it off and have it rebuilt.
Funny you should say that! I didn't believe it at first, but, it was told to me when I had the trifecta; and, it's still good advice today.

Quote:
The module is 'going to fail' at some point in time, and with BBA giving a 'lifetime warranty' on the rebuild, it is worth it to eliminate that well known failure point.
Truer words were never spoken. I must admit, it took me almost a year to come to the exact same conclusion you came to. It's amazing that the tribal knowledge here is vastly better than any Indy or Stealer out there, but, the tribal knowledge says:

1) If you have the trifecta ... then test the four wheel speed sensors with a DMM.
2) If any one wheel speed sensor tests bad, double check at the wheels and connector; and if it's still bad, replace it (if more than one test bad, then it's likely a problem with your test)
3) If all four wheel speed sensors test good with the DMM, then (like it or not), it's (most likely) your ABS control module.

For the Bosch ABS control module repair, consider these three options in this order:

I. $0.00
First, try to fix it yourself (by repositioning the errant wires). If you fail (or if you don't want to try), then ...

II. <$300
Send the old ABS control module to the rebuilders (BBA, MM, ATE in that order by both quality and price).
If they fail, then ...

III. <$500
Buy a rebuilt or new module from one of our sponsors and have it recoded at the stealer.

Last edited by bluebee; 11-08-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Thanks BlueBee,

Your experience, knowledge, and relentless pursuit of finding the answers, are what makes forums like this popular and saves the average DIY'er lots of money.
If we did not have folks like you, who spend countless hours monitoring posts like this, (and not to mention the other 'hundreds' of other posts with their various problems...)
Everyone would be stuck with paying out 'whatever' the dealers and indy's want to charge.

THANKYOU for what you do BlueBee !! (and others)

The other piece I would like to add to this story...
that you did not mention with the '$1000 dealer/$500 indy' cost for replacement of the module, is 'finding' a dealer who will 'recode' the new module that you buy independantly from any other source that you install on your car...

I asked my dealer (when they had diagnosed the part as the module, and they wanted to sell me the 'repair kit' fix, which happens to be a new ABS module and screws), "if I bought a 'Bosch' module in the box, from any one of several internet sources, install it myself, would you code it to my car ?? "

They said (and this may be strickly 'my' local dealers response...) that "if it was not a 'BMW' brand part, bought from a 'BMW dealer' with a 'BMW invoice', they would not touch it"

So, my point is, that if anyone chooses to buy a Bosch 'new', or 'rebuilt' module, make sure you have someone available in advance of making this decision, who 'can/will' code the part to your car.

Added: That is why rebuilding your own module is much more advantageous, it is already 'coded' to your car, and their repair/overhaul does not erase the built in memory in the module (in most cases).

530i-bie

Last edited by 530i-bie; 11-08-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
...for only a couple hundred dollars, and the fact that soooo many folks has the ABS Module go bad, you might as well send it off and have it rebuilt. If they dont find anything wrong with the module, they only charge a $35.00 'bench/testing' fee.
+1

My experience with BBA was similar, though I paid less ($130) and waited longer (shipped out on a Monday, received ten days later on a Thursday). So far so good for me too. Thanks to bluebee and everyone for their invaluable assistance and sharing of info.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 M5
Nice Bluebee love!

No doubt this is my number one DIY success, from a saved $$ perspective. Makes me smile every time I think about it.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
'finding' a dealer who will 'recode' the new module that you buy independantly from any other source that you install on your car...
Interesting problem.

If the dealers strictly adhere to that policy, then buying a module from Jared here at EACTuning "might" be problematic, depending on the dealer.

Since Jared sells new modules, which need to be coded, I'd ask Jared what he recommends for recoding as he would (you'd think) have run into this dealer reluctance to recode if it's a widespread practice.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I thought I would send a reply feedback/update to my problem...
Since I could not find anything wrong with any of the inputs to the ABS module, and no one had any other hopeful suggestions (thanks to all who offered input on this thread !!),
I sent my module off to BBA Reman. I won an EBAY auction for their service for $168.00, paid the 2nd day shipping option. Had excellent email communications with them. They received my unit on Monday, tested (and confirmed a failure internal to the unit), repaired, retested, and had it back out the door on Tuesday afternoon. I got the unit back on Thursday, installed it, and JOY-JOY-JOY no more DSC light. System works again, and the DSC button actually turns it on, and off, again. I then reset the P0500 error code on the OBDII port, and the SES light went off. Rescanned, and no errors found.

So, it was NOT the DSC precharge pump... (saved $$$) that the indy said it was...
and did NOT have to buy a new Module (saved bigger $$$) that the stealer wanted to do...(even though their diagnosis 'was' correct)

I guess my point is: for only a couple hundred dollars, and the fact that soooo many folks has the ABS Module go bad, you might as well send it off and have it rebuilt. If they dont find anything wrong with the module, they only charge a $35.00 'bench/testing' fee.
can I ask what you searched for on ebay to find the auction? I'd much prefer to try to win an auction than to just shell out $300.

edit: nevermind I found them. Their ebay seller name is bba-remaninc . They seem to have raised the starting bid on their auctions for the bosch 5.7 to $200 with a buy it now price of 225. Still not a bad deal though.

Last edited by boomshakalaka; 11-08-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
My saga continues. The BBA repair did not fix the lights. I sent it back to them and they claim it tested fine with no faults. Note that my lights are only on when the car is cold. I noticed that warm car + cold module = no lights. I spent some time in the Diagnostic Software forum and got INPA working on my laptop. I read the code from the DSC module:

14 Valve Relay Fault

I talked with a BMW tech who told me that this error likely indicates an issue in the hydro unit itself (Maybe something is sticky) which is starting to make sense. I just bought a recycled hydro unit with control module (both part #s match) with 180 warranty for cheaper then a new module from EAC. I will have all the parts I need to determine if it is the module or the hydro unit.

I now also have all the software needed to code the module, calibrate the steering sensor and cycle the pump for bleeding. I am hoping this makes for one hell of DIY at some point.

2003 525i 5spd/PP/SP/CWP/Xenons/Sapphire/Black
CDV Delete
Dice Silverline
TCU Bluetooth
Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutterdog
I now also have all the software needed to code the module, calibrate the steering sensor and cycle the pump for bleeding. I am hoping this makes for one hell of DIY at some point.
This is fantastic. Would LOVE to see the DIY, especially the VIN coding of the module.

BTW, while I do not profess to understand HOW to diagnose a bad abs control module, today, in another ABS/BRAKE/DSC thread, Bill wrote this sentence which seems to sum it up nicely:

"Someone said they don't believe you can diagnose a bad module. You can. You just can't tell a bad input from a bad module. You can diagnose a faulty module that won't communicate with the other modules/DMS for example. Just not a bad sensor from a bad module."
Old 12-02-2010, 01:20 PM

So I just got my module back from BBA. I won an auction on ebay for $200 including shipping both ways, so I think it actually came out to be the same price as ATE. I was expecting a quick blip about what they found wrong or just saying that the repair was successful, but nothing like that was in the box. There is a note on the work order that reads "The setup procedure that is included with this part needs to be followed when reinstalling the unit!" Taped to the module is a note that simply says "You must make sure you disconnect the battery before fitting as it will damage the unit nad could risk voiding your warranty!" Then goes on to just saw a bit about how incorrect codes can be thrown and the reason why it happens. Are these the extent of the reinstallation instructions? Just make sure the battery is not connected?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshakalaka View Post
"You must make sure you disconnect the battery before fitting as it will damage the unit nad could risk voiding your warranty!"
There is a little more to it, and a little less.

A while back, there was a discussion (somewhere, maybe here) of whether or not the battery disconnect was needed. Suffice to say almost everyone did NOT disconnect the battery (and they were fine) - yet - some did - and anyway, it's no big deal and easy enough insurance to do so (and those who did so did fine also).

However, I didn't disconnect my battery and there WAS an "incorrect code" that can cause you to erroneously fail a California inspection, even a couple of days later (ask me how I know).

It turned out there was a latent P0500 hidden DTC at some point. This trouble code is totally wrong (I had tested all my sensors and they were good yet this code says bad speed sensor). Even though the inspection station cleared the code for me, after the fact; this then meant there was no data in the emissions memory (whatever it's called); so I failed again until I had driven enough miles. Then I passed. So, lesson learned. Maybe that's what the BBA Reman note is trying to tell you?

BTW, with these prices, I feel lucky that I won my bid at ATE for $125 (and I had to pay $25 for shipping, one way) about a year ago.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:35 PM

ah, ok, thanks for the info. I really don't feel that bad about paying 200. Module Masters is like 325 or something and I think thats before shipping. Oh I also wanted to chime in about the fuel gauge. Without the abs unit in, mine has gone completely bonkers. I've seen the needle move a third of a tank in 5-10 seconds. I really don't know what input it is using (there must be some, otherwise- like the speedometer- it would just read zero) but it really just seems completely random.