Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbennett9 View Post
I was able to do the DMM test from the ABS module connector, where I previously was unable to. I do believe the multimeter I had was the issue.
It probably would be a good idea for us to figure out a test which tests first whether the multimeter used stands a chance of working.

I don't think I know enough to know 'how' to test a multimeter though.

My ancient Fluke 75 worked just fine when I had tested my four wheel speed sensors.

Does anyone know what test we can run on the multimeter to test whether it will work or not?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 6Spd 550I w Sports Pk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
During this thread, many people had errant zero readings on the wheel speed sensors. So far, IIRC, they all figured out what the problem was (usually the meter or the technique, e.g., too large a wire).

Anyway, you can test the sensors closer to the wheel (just disconnect the sensor at the box in the wheel well which is explained in post #48 of this thread).

Also remember there 'are' six other tests you can run on the sensors (although none is as easy as the DMM test). For example, you can check running voltage pulses as you spin the wheel (as explained in post #48 of this thread).

theres a field in INPA that lets you see all four wheels either spinning or standing still.
Would that be a waste of time if the actual abs module is bad??
Old 03-22-2012, 06:51 AM
530er

Mein Auto: 530i
My car just started doing this two days ago. I don't get the lights coming on all the time, sometimes they stay on and sometimes don't come
On at all.
The ABS light doesn't always come on when this does happen. Usually too, if I shut the car off and go into a store or something they will be off again when I start it back up.

I figure the sensor on the brake brain is going bad...

Agreed?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540iA, titanium
2 days ago my 3 lights kicked on. I'm pretty sure it's my right front sensor because my "sport" mode of my tranny is holding gears way too long. Per the original post, the r front also helps w/ gear speed reading? My cruise control works fine so I don't think its the right rear. I'm going to check it out and clean off the sensor tomorrow night. Crossing my fingers.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 525i (E39)
Update: BAD ABS rebuild.

For those following, I had the misfortune of replacing several items and still have the trifecta lights. I also had an issue with a DMM that would not read the ABS sensors. AFter finding one that did, it showed they were ok. I replaced the break pressure sensor unnecessarily because the rebuilt ATE one (mine) gave that error. Replaced it and still no go. I sent it back in and they did find an issue they are trying to resolve. I feel better they found an issue (they didn't say what), but I wasted $$ on a new BPS. And, I ordered two ebay rear sensors already too. They are in snail mail. I wouldn't have ordered, but it was a 50/50 things if the ABS module was fixed or not. Figured I'd have them on hand just in case. such is life. My fingers are crossed.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eddy View Post
I don't get the lights coming on all the time, sometimes they stay on and sometimes don't come
Many of us, including me, have had it be intermittent.

The general consensus is that the 7th silvered wire lifting off the bondpad is doing so as a result of engine heat, so, some have reproduced the intermittence with a hair dryer.

Quote:
if I shut the car off and go into a store or something they will be off again when I start it back up.
Again. That's not at all uncommon. The system resets itself. But, if/when the problem returns, so does the trifecta.

Quote:
I figure the sensor on the brake brain is going bad... Agreed?
Huh?

Quote:
Update: BAD ABS rebuild....I also had an issue with a DMM that would not read the ABS sensors.
Thanks for the update.

As for the DMM, we should probably make a list of all the make/models of the BAD and GOOD DMMs. I, for one, can vouch for the Fluke 75.

To save me the effort of re-reading back to see if you listed which DMMs worked and which didn't, would you lst us know so we can start that list (so others benefit)?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 PM

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/wizar...condition3.php

Hey bluebee,..i found this on mm's site. My trifecta is always on...Dont know if I should just send my unit in.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:18 PM

Got back my twice rebuilt ABS module from AutoECU. Plugged it in, no lights...for a minute. :-( But the good news is that the ghost BPS error went away and a new, probable error came up, 32 Right front wheel sensor. It could of course be a bad wire, sprocket, bearing, etc. Slowly making progress. oh, I can't remember where the error was (engine, transmission, or another module), but I did have a gearbox error/fault. I reset them all and was left with 32 (which bluebee believes is tied to gearbox).

Last edited by mjbennett9; 03-28-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6MT
I urge you to take a very close look at the speed sensor itself. This is the reason why: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=558318

Also, it'd be nice if you removed the lists from you signature as it tends to interfere with searches.

540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM

Hi Quick99Si,

I'll take a look at the post you provided. I also removed my signature--great point. My bad.

Thank you.

UPDATE: Tomorrow, I'm going to swap sensors to see if BavarianTechnic then says the error moved from Front right , to front left. If so, it's def sensor. If not, wiring, other TBD. I'm thinking it's the sensor though too. They don't look OEM (either of the fronts). Thanks Quick99SI. I just with autoecu did a better job of testing my module the first time. Being a new DIY, I ended up buying/doing way more than I needed to thinking the ABS module was good. :-)

Last edited by mjbennett9; 03-28-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 PM

Bad day. Went to lunch with guy at work (I usually drive), and I left car keys in his truck. He left early. I was trying to get out 30 mins early to rush home and swap the sensors out, but ended up being 90 mins late. Anyway, I made a 30 min trip to work, and 30 back, no lights. But then ran back out to market and they came on. Normally the heat issue brought them on wihtin 5 to 10 mins. I do hope autoecu did the 2nd rebuilt right and iti doesn't need a 3rd. I'm really hoping a swap of the sensors moves the error to the other tire. Then I know it's the sensor, replace it and finally be done with it. :-)

While it's rarely a problem, I'd like offer up my old brake pressure sensor (but perfectly working) to the group--to pass on. Try it out, if it fixes your problem, great, keep it (don't waste $140 like I did). If it doesn't resolve your issue, put your old one back and offer it back up to the next guy in the forum. I just ask that you pay the $5.50 usps flat rate priority shipping to you.

Speaking of helping out those here, has anyone ever considered a local get together one weekend? To share ideas, look touch feel kinda a thing? I realize not every place will be close to everyone, but just a though.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540iA, titanium
[QUOTE=mjbennett9;6736855]
While it's rarely a problem, I'd like offer up my old brake pressure sensor (but perfectly working) to the group--to pass on. Try it out, if it fixes your problem, great, keep it (don't waste $140 like I did). If it doesn't resolve your issue, put your old one back and offer it back up to the next guy in the forum. I just ask that you pay the $5.50 usps flat rate priority shipping to you.
QUOTE]
That is VERY generous of you. I would like to try it out if you haven't promised it to anyone yet. I can PM you my contact info and I certainly would pay for the shipping. If it's not my problem, I would offer it up just like you are doing. Christian
Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=chriscarguy;6738848]
Quote:
QUOTE]
That is VERY generous of you. I would like to try it out if you haven't promised it to anyone yet. I can PM you my contact info and I certainly would pay for the shipping. If it's not my problem, I would offer it up just like you are doing. Christian
Hi. it's yours. I'll PM you.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM

Still plugging away at the trifecta. Weather cleared up and swapped the front wheel speed sensors. I didn't clear codes, went for an hour drive. Then remembered to check the codes. Same, code 32, right front sensor. So, either (1) ABS module still bad, (2) bad wiring after the speed sensor, (3) that sprocket thingy and/or (4) bad bearing. However, wheel feels very solid. I wasn't sure how to check the sprocket and will have to read up on that.

I'm somewhat leaning towards (1) because they didn't get it right the first time and didn't tell me what it was on first or second rebuild. I am leaning that way because of odd readings. At first I got instrument cluster IKE readings and makes sense since I did the instrument pixel repair yesterday. I reset the code (two actually) and it never came back. Then while checking the ABS/DSC modjule check, it said incorrect LWS ID. I never got that message, even when I checked in last few days. All I did was swap speed sensors. I reset that error and then I got incorrect steering wheel calibration 103 error (which I think is vanos code), but I was in the ABS module when I got it. I reset that error and so far it's sticking with unknown asc2 code 9. In the ABS/DSC module check, it's staying with code 32 right front wheel sensor.

I just don't think that much can be wrong at once unless the module is still defective and autoecu is just not doing a good job.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
For the record, today Freyg kindly provided values for the four wheel speed sensors.

Here are his values (in text), with mine below that (in chart form).

It would be useful if the next person who checks their wheel speed sensors also reports the values as we can get an idea of the normal range from this information.

Bluebee, did you ever find out/confirm if the front left sensor is the steering angle? My mind couldn't shut out my day's troubleshooting activities, as this chart was on my mind. I'm going to make an assumption for the moment, that the 2nd ABS rebuilt is ok (hard, but gonna try). When I got the 2nd rebuilt back, one of the codes prior to code 32 showing, was a gearbox message (it showed up in either engine or transmission module check). And based upon your chart, right front is associated with gearbox. After I reset the code last week, it never came back (but code 32 remained). I swapped the sensors today, and got a bunch of steering angle errors, including one that will not reset (asc2 code 9). While I'm not sure why code 32 still remains, it is interesting that since the suspect bad sensor is now in the front left, and if you are rigth that it is associated with steering angle, it may in fact be a bad sensor. I would have thought the code 32 right front would have went away, but the message changing from gearbox (initially) to steering angle (initially), it's a good indication of a bad sensor-you think?

Both are non-OEM so perhaps that is why the diag program is not picking up exact code when swapping right to left, but it did pick and change from gearbox to steering angle.

I did the DMM test from ABS last week and all checked out fine.

Last edited by mjbennett9; 04-01-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Stratys
Mein Auto: 98 528i
Keeping in the spirit of the joy that is abs wheel speed sensors, I was disconnecting mine today (passenger front) and the plastic fell apart on both ends. I have a new sensor on the way but does anyone know the part number or name of the connector that it plugs into? I am at a loss and searching high and low but nada...thanks. By the way, you guys are awesome, this is my first question asked on the board as this group does a great job of in depth troubleshooting and DIY.

Last edited by Stratys; 04-02-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
It probably would be a good idea for us to figure out a test which tests first whether the multimeter used stands a chance of working.

I don't think I know enough to know 'how' to test a multimeter though.

My ancient Fluke 75 worked just fine when I had tested my four wheel speed sensors.

Does anyone know what test we can run on the multimeter to test whether it will work or not?
The attached yellow mini tester from Radio shack is the one that would not work on the car, but works fine in "real" life.

I went and bought a nice one on sale at Menards. It was normall $45 or $50 and I got it for about $25. It did work, but all my readings were normal at the ABS module connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0404122042.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	319772   Click image for larger version

Name:	0404122043.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	319773  
Old 04-04-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratys View Post
Keeping in the spirit of the joy that is abs wheel speed sensors, I was disconnecting mine today (passenger front) and the plastic fell apart on both ends. I have a new sensor on the way but does anyone know the part number or name of the connector that it plugs into? I am at a loss and searching high and low but nada...thanks. By the way, you guys are awesome, this is my first question asked on the board as this group does a great job of in depth troubleshooting and DIY.
I poked around at realoem.com and couldn't find it either. I tried the front axle, and engine electronics.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:43 PM

Got a refund from AutoECU. Now to find a new place to send for rebuild (assuming it's defective). But since the first rebuild didn't work, and different errors on the 2nd rebuild--who knows. I did get a front sensor and try it, but nothing. Although I find it hard to believe both sensors would be bad (even non-OEM). It could be the wire after teh sensor, but I don't think so since the measurements at the ABS connector was consistent across all four tires. I'm starting to think that sprocket thingy behind the rotor or bearing. I haven't seen much in regards of pics on here to see what it looks like. I saw a cartoonish pictorial, but it didn't help me find it. But I'm thinking that's where I need to look next. Anyone have pics of what that sprocket thingy looks like on the car?

Here's the layout from realoem, but no sign of the picket that the ABS sensor uses (aims at).

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...55&hg=31&fg=10

Last edited by mjbennett9; 04-05-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM

Is this the "sprocket" in-between the red arrows? I read somewhere on here about a rock getting stuck in the sprocket, but there doesn't look like a rock could get stuck in these ridges? Could I take out the sensor and shine a flashlight thru the hole to see anything worthwhile? I wish I thought of it 30 minutes ago when I had everything apart to put in the replacement sensor. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bearing.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	319951  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Interesting night. So, I forgot to reset the codes after putting in the new left front sensor. Not that it fixed the problem, but it did present new codes/findings. So after the install, and a drive, the codes didn't go out. I then had dinner, and ran to walmart. On the way to walmart, all but the triangle went out. I didn't have computer to see what that meant though. by the time I got home, all three lights were back. BUT, the right front 32 code was gone! really. I replace the front left sensor and the front right code goes away. lol. Then I got these:

ABS Unknown 39 & 41 in ABS
Steering angle code 14 LRW-maximum exceeded
Unknown code 149 transmission.
code 9 - Asc2 in steering angle module

So, just a guess, I did the wheel anglel alignment trick of turning wheel all way to right left, and back, twice, then drive straight. Now, all codes are gone except for 149 and 9. Both are unknown/asc2. All three lights are on too. I'm thinking it has to be a bad rebuild on the abs module again. I think I'm going to pull it too. I forgot about it, but the other day while coming home from work, I mildly applied brakes and could feel the ABS kick on (was at a time that lights were out). It was not a controlled stop and was a little scary as the car steered left. I thought it was wet tires as it had rained earlier, but the ground was dry. I ignored it till about an hour ago when it did it again. I think it's safer to remove the module until I can get another one. I don't think it's worth rebuilding either because it's the 002 version. ATE told me they successfully rebuild 002's all day, but obviously not mine.

Well, I have had enough of ABS for a while and will concentrate on installing a new valve cover and VCG. and then an an change--again. I thought I got synpower euro but put in the US version instead. Lifter noise is a little louder. Bougth some mobil 1 0w40 euro. fun stuff...
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Sounds like abs module is bad, also you need to calibrate steering angle sensor or replace it.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1985 M635, 2000 528iT
This seemed to be the primary trifecta thread so I thought I'd post here. I just had the 3 lights come on a couple of days ago. After seaching and reading through this great info I pulled the plug off and tested the 4 different sensors according to the pins listed. I have a Fluke 87 DMM and when I tested I got a reading of 1.87~1.89 volts for all 4 sensors, so a litlle more than the originally recomended 1.7~1.8 v. I just wanted to make sure that still sounded ok to everyone.

Thanks again for the wealth of info available here. Makes owning one of these cars alot more bareable (and less expensive).

Take care,

Eric
Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 AM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=613800

Heres my story..

Does anyone know the functions of the passenger side front sensor?? It says gearbox, but my car is a manual 5spd. Would that make a difference? I had my abs module repaired and all im getting now is a bad sensor right side.

Last edited by Big Chaze; 04-14-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.6iS
I have posted this same info on the Xoutpost for the X owners and I thought, i'd post it here as well, since the things are same in the E53 and E39 (I also have a 528i)

I have an original Bosch 5.7 module installed in my BMW X5 4.6iS. This module was once repaired in Moscow, Russia (not Moscow, Idaho!!!), when the car was there and the -40 degrees temperatures got the best of the module. Recently I was towing a U-Haul 5x8 covered trailer (using the original BMW towing package installed on the vehicle from the BMW NA, 40 miles total towing distance), and the DSC, BRAKE and the ABS lights came on. As it happened during the tow, I got a brief message that the DSC INACTIVE, did not get that verbaige since then. Since there is no speed signal, all speed related functions are dead. As I drove the car since the towing, I would get the issue intermittently, once there will be no problem, the next moment the problem is there, I do get the trifeca of the lights, randomly get transmission into LIMP mode, and eventually set some codes in the Service Engine Soon.

So, I suspect the module is acting up again (when the temperature is at operating range, the problems start), and I need to remove it and to send it off for a repair, and hopefully, it can be repaired.

My problem is rather trivial - out of the 6 bolts: I was able to loosen up 5 and the #6 bolt broke off my Torx 20 bit and got the inside the torx part in the bolt stripped (almost looked like a Hex, but hex key would not work on it). It is the top left one, the one that is relatively easy to get to.

I went to home Depot, they sold me some "extractor" tool for $20, that is the "best on the earth", but it did not help.

Any suggestions on removing that last bolt?

I was thinking about stopping by a shop (meineke, midas, or whatever) and asking the guys to help me remove it... Do you think it is feasible?