Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
It is NOT bogus;

1. it is inline with EPA rating
2. BMW claims the same.

The reality is just that the N54 doesn't have such a good fuel consumption when compared to its competitors. No worse, no better.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdriver View Post
The 335i is not designed as a euro only car so it doesnt shut down its power steering pump(or all the other fluid pumps, the battery charging, doesnt have a 3 way cat etc.,) to "beat the cycle".
Also, AFAIK, lean-burn is disabled on US-spec 335 (maybe all 335s?) due to NOx emissions issue.

EDIT: one more thing, "efficient dynamics" is not introduced in 335 yet.

Last edited by invariant; 03-30-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by invariant View Post
Also, AFAIK, lean-burn is disabled on US-spec 335 (maybe all 335s?) due to NOx emissions issue.

EDIT: one more thing, "efficient dynamics" is not introduced in 335 yet.
You nailed it. That makes a LOT of sense and fully explain why the Euro 330i 272HP has so much better fuel economy.

It is like VW who claims direct injection on all 2009 2.0T, but the Audi 2.0T is much more efficient, the gas pressure is much higher than the VW.

Quote:
BMW 3 Series models fitted with EfficientDynamics technology go on sale in September, 2007.

Model engine / New output Hp / Increase in Hp / New Combined Mpg [Imp] / Improvement of % / New emissions g/km / g/km decrease %

BMW 325i 218 0 39.8 +19 170 -16
BMW 330i 272 +14 39.2 +21 173 -18
BMW 335i 306 0 31.0 +5 218 -6
BMW 335d 286 0 42.2 +12 177 -12

Last edited by Saintor; 03-30-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
It is NOT bogus;

1. it is inline with EPA rating
2. BMW claims the same.

The reality is just that the N54 doesn't have such a good fuel consumption when compared to its competitors. No worse, no better.
i'll tell you what.

i've never owned a car which has come anywhere close to those stupid epa numbers on the window sticker.

i live in nyc. i'm not sure what the epa considers a city to be, but it ain't new york.

the stupid window sticker on my last car, which was an acura rl, claimed i'd get 18mpg for city driving.

i was happy when i got 9 or 10.

i stopped paying attention to fuel economy sometime around 2005 when it became clear to me that epa mpg are a scam, at least for my experience. and my sample size was fairly large since i have owned a bunch of very different cars.

and then one day all of sudden i started paying attention to the mpg calculator on the nav screen of my 335, but i didn't believe it. so i started filling up and hitting the reset button on the speedo and figured my mpg were exactly what the stupid window and the onboard computer claimed.

for this reason, i will never again drive any car other than a BMW. i'll drive american as well.

high torque is the answer to my city driving problems.

the japanese formula of building cars with torque being 25% less than horsepower stinks.

this has been my experience with every single jap car i made the mistake of buying. jap cars are revy and have no torque until the rpm dial hits like 3000.

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 03-30-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
i'll tell you what.

i've never owned a car which has come anywhere close to those stupid epa numbers on the window sticker.

i live in nyc. i'm not sure what the epa considers a city to be, but it ain't new york.

the stupid window sticker on my last car, which was an acura rl, claimed i'd get 18mpg for city driving.

i stopped paying attention to fuel economy sometime around 2005 when it became clear to me that epa mpg are a scam, at least for my experience. and my sample size was fairly large since i have owned a bunch of very different cars.

and then one day all of sudden i started paying attention to the mpg calculator on the nav screen of my 335, but i didn't believe it. so i started filling up and hitting the reset button on the speedo and figured my mpg were exactly what the stupid window and the onboard computer claimed.

for this reason, i will never again drive any car other than a BMW. i'll drive american as well.
just fyi - the EPA did change their testing procedure for the 2008 MY to try to get more realistic numbers. That's why all the estimates went down in 2008 on cars that hadn't changed anything.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 03-31-2009, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus now but soon 335i
I have a 2008 Lexus ES350 and the sticker reads 19 city 27 miles highway. 90% of my driving is highway and I average approx. 26.5 miles a gallon according to the computer. Seems to be dead on. For 3.5 V6 with 272 hp I must say I am impressed with the mileage and I drive this car pretty hard.

Last edited by Harington; 03-31-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 335iC ED 14-Oct-08
Quote:
i'll tell you what.

high torque is the answer to my city driving problems.

the japanese formula of building cars with torque being 25% less than horsepower stinks.

this has been my experience with every single jap car i made the mistake of buying. jap cars are revy and have no torque until the rpm dial hits like 3000.

You realize that Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a standardized test procedure specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 10-15 percent of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory. [Basically, there are no real world tests, that is why YMMV]

In the laboratory, the vehicle's drive wheels are placed on a machine called a dynamometer that simulates the driving environment—much like an exercise bike simulates cycling.

The energy required to move the rollers can be adjusted to account for wind resistance and the vehicle's weight.

On the dynamometer, a professional driver runs the vehicle through a standardized driving routine, or schedule, which simulates “typical” trips in the city or on the highway.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

How else would you have a standard test?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Floor View Post
In the laboratory, the vehicle's drive wheels are placed on a machine called a dynamometer that simulates the driving environment—much like an exercise bike simulates cycling.
Hey, I bike a lot. From personal experience, there is NO way an exercise bike or a trainer simulates cycling ! Kind of the way a dynomometer really doesn't simulate driving.

Yeah, YMMV really does rule.

George

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 03-31-2009, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan, sport paddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harington View Post
I have a 2008 Lexus ES350 and the sticker reads 19 city 27 miles highway. 90% of my driving is highway and I average approx. 26.5 miles a gallon according to the computer. Seems to be dead on. For 3.5 V6 with 272 hp I must say I am impressed with the mileage and I drive this car pretty hard.

My 26mph('08 rating) highway 335 got 29 mpg while averaging 80+ mph(75mph limit) from phoenix to the kaibab plateau, driving around up there to elevations of 8000ft and back home to 1300ft elevation( I used my own calcs miles/gallons filled). And no I didnt drive slow at all. I dont know what "NYC mileage" is, but my car has never seen ANY mileage below 19mpg on a tank, driving like a banshee in a city metropolis of 5 million, but with well designed roads. NYC is a place for public transit in my experience, and sitting around idling in cars, not for driving. When I bought my car in '07 it was rated 20/29, and the highway mark is dead on in my experience. But then again highway driving is not characterized by bumper to bumper stopped traffic out here. Any test is only as good as its assumptions, and the assumptions used in the new rating are wrong out here, just wrong. Dont worry though, as the green nuts push BMW to higher euro "ratings", they will shut down coolant and oil pumps etc to get them and BMWs will last 60K miles before they die.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
My 26mph('08 rating) highway 335 got 29 mpg while averaging 80+ mph(75mph limit) from phoenix to the kaibab plateau, driving around up there to elevations of 8000ft and back home to 1300ft elevation( I used my own calcs miles/gallons filled). And no I didnt drive slow at all. I dont know what "NYC mileage" is, but my car has never seen ANY mileage below 19mpg on a tank, driving like a banshee in a city metropolis of 5 million, but with well designed roads. NYC is a place for public transit in my experience, and sitting around idling in cars, not for driving. When I bought my car in '07 it was rated 20/29, and the highway mark is dead on in my experience. But then again highway driving is not characterized by bumper to bumper stopped traffic out here. Any test is only as good as its assumptions, and the assumptions used in the new rating are wrong out here, just wrong. Dont worry though, as the green nuts push BMW to higher euro "ratings", they will shut down coolant and oil pumps etc to get them and BMWs will last 60K miles before they die.
i think you missed my point.

this 335i ('07) is the only car i've ever owned which produces the EPA claims on the stupid window sticker.

i can only conclude it's because i don't ever really need to get the car above 2200 - 2300 rpm's to drive around town.

my last car, an 05 acura rl (the new one) never got better than half the EPA claim for city driving.

do with this information as you see fit.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:54 PM
BMW/Harley Guy

Mein Auto: 06 330i Manny Tranny
Hey, does anyone still remember what this thread was about? I think I forgot.

Electric Red / Beige 06 330i Manny Tranny
Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Muffler Delete, Hardwire Valentine One, Colgan Nose Mask w/logo cutout
Old 03-31-2009, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpuette View Post
A friend told me to stay away from whiskey and wild women??
Old 03-31-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
1. the n54 gets ridiculously efficient gas mileage for the amount of energy produced when
driven normally.

2. a lot of people are afraid to purchase the 335i because it may only last 150k miles
instead of 200k miles.

3. 98.3% of the people who are afraid to purchase the 335i because of potential
longevity issues have ADHD/OCD and will never keep the car 150k miles anyway.

this sums it up.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
1. the n54 gets ridiculously efficient gas mileage for the amount of energy produced when
driven normally.

2. a lot of people are afraid to purchase the 335i because it may only last 150k miles
instead of 200k miles.

3. 98.3% of the people who are afraid to purchase the 335i because of potential
longevity issues have ADHD/OCD and will never keep the car 150k miles anyway.

this sums it up.
1. Same as above.
2. If you plan to buy new & trade in when the warranty expires, ignore this thread and enjoy your amazing ride.
2.a. Brace for a kidney punch when trade-in time comes & you learn how much your $50k car has depreciated in just a few short years.
3. If you plan to buy new & get buried with your car when you croak sometime in the distant future, do a little extra maintenance & enjoy your amazing ride.
3.a. Start saving now for the epic maintenance expenses your gonna incur for your post-warranty amazing ride. Start a seperate (but equal $ amount) savings account for your slushbox, if applicable.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by damyankee View Post
1. Same as above.
2. If you plan to buy new & trade in when the warranty expires, ignore this thread and enjoy your amazing ride.
2.a. Brace for a kidney punch when trade-in time comes & you learn how much your $50k car has depreciated in just a few short years.
3. If you plan to buy new & get buried with your car when you croak sometime in the distant future, do a little extra maintenance & enjoy your amazing ride.
3.a. Start saving now for the epic maintenance expenses your gonna incur for your post-warranty amazing ride. Start a seperate (but equal $ amount) savings account for your slushbox, if applicable.
Regarding 2a and 3a, how exactly does this differ from any other BMW?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan, sport paddles
Quote:
i think you missed my point.

this 335i ('07) is the only car i've ever owned which produces the EPA claims on the stupid window sticker.

i can only conclude it's because i don't ever really need to get the car above 2200 - 2300 rpm's to drive around town.

my last car, an 05 acura rl (the new one) never got better than half the EPA claim for city driving.

do with this information as you see fit.

No disagreement here, my 335i gets better than the EPA ratings, as I said more in line with the former EPA ratings. I suppose it depends on where you live and what the traffic is like. And I almost always have fun punching the throttle and exceeding 3K RPM. The direct injection advantage is greatest at larger throttle openings as the fuel/air mixture runs at the stoichiometric ratio there while port injection tends to run rich there(GUZZLE) to protect the engine. My comment was that perhaps the current EPA rating is "NYC city", and not "phoenix city" mileage. At any rate the 335i has the best mileage of any 300 hp car in the real world, including the G37. When BMW starts the auto engine shutoff, I suspect "NYC mileage" will get another boost.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
No disagreement here, my 335i gets better than the EPA ratings, as I said more in line with the former EPA ratings. I suppose it depends on where you live and what the traffic is like. And I almost always have fun punching the throttle and exceeding 3K RPM. The direct injection advantage is greatest at larger throttle openings as the fuel/air mixture runs at the stoichiometric ratio there while port injection tends to run rich there(GUZZLE) to protect the engine. My comment was that perhaps the current EPA rating is "NYC city", and not "phoenix city" mileage. At any rate the 335i has the best mileage of any 300 hp car in the real world, including the G37. When BMW starts the auto engine shutoff, I suspect "NYC mileage" will get another boost.
this has nothing to with anything, but i love phoenix.

'cept for 112 degree days.

i used to get a kick out of seeing peoples rear windows pop off in parking lots. these people seem to lack common sense or a high school physics education.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 335i cp
The 328 is a very nice car and I think it is a good choice. I have had a335 coupe for two years with only a tail light bezel warrenty replacement. 19K miles. I am curious how many of the people warning of the HPFP problem own a 335.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by damyankee View Post
1. Same as above.
Re. 2a. and 3a., as long as you don't have an E93, there are viable extended warranty programs available from companies other than BMW. I just purchased a 10 year/100,000 mile ext. warranty for my 2005 R53 MINI whose factory warranty is set to expire early May, 2009. The ext warranty policy is a comprehensive coverage policy (only exclusions are in writing; otherwise, everything else is covered).

I will be doing the same on an E92 with N54 engine. Just make sure the HPFP is not excluded from coverage.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Just make sure the HPFP is not excluded from coverage.
HPFP, turbos, exhaust, and many other components are covered by California/federal emissions warranty to 7-8 years or 70K-80K miles (see the warranty booklet in your car).

EDIT: I wonder if people outside California get it though. I think it applies to vehicles with 50-state-emissions (which they all are, I think), but could anybody from another state take a look at the warranty booklet and see what it says there for them?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Quote:
dlpuette, why do you only keep the upper half of the bra on your vehicle? I would think this would not do much good protecting the nose...
Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Driving like I stole it.

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Cabriolet 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Re. 2a. and 3a., as long as you don't have an E93, there are viable extended warranty programs available from companies other than BMW. .
What? Why not with an E93? I could perhaps see disallowing the top but the whole thing?

"You know you're having fun when your tires melt."
-Shocktopus, after a day of autocrossing in August
Old 04-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Driving like I stole it.

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Cabriolet 6MT
woops, double post.

"You know you're having fun when your tires melt."
-Shocktopus, after a day of autocrossing in August
Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: e90 330i
forget the 335 and just go with an e46 M3....you'll be fine then.