Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-2009, 09:36 PM
WULFFZA WULFFZA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 329
Mein Auto: 08 M5 6sp
First drive 09 X5 35d

I borrowed my local dealers X5 35d loaner today for an extended test drive this weekend. After couple of hrs around town and a little highway, my synopsis is, I love it!
I have driven the 3.0si and went crazy over its sluggish pull away and constant down changing when you squeeze the gas. Not so with the diesel. This thing has giddy up. There is an initial lag when you stand on it, then the power comes wooshing through like a freight train, the tach spins rapidly through 1st, 2nd and into 3rd, at which point you are breaking the speed limit...
If you drive normally the lag is not that evident at all, and if you work with it like you should drive a diesel the torque becomes very evident, you dont have to rev it at all in normal driving. It upshifts imperceptibly and accelerates smoothly. The only time the drivetrain seemed unsettled was at crawling pace when it didnt know whether it wanted to be in 1st or 2nd and there was an occassional bump from the intertia in the transmission, but I put this down to driving style and the fact that as a loaner car this thing's transmission computer simply doesnt know what pattern to go with....

Gas mileage was impressive too. I reset it a few times, in town it was around 20mpg, highway around 28mpg. Thats very good, damn, its excellant considering the ethusiastic spirit with which it accelerates and handles despite the weight. We judge it quickly by saying thats not good enough because with the price of diesel, mileage has to be better by at least 30% than the equivalent gas engine to make financial sense.... Well in this country perhaps, because the cost of diesel is ridiculous, and I just dont want to go down that road of discussion. So besides the dollars and cents in the equation, the diesel has intangible qualities. It doesnt downshift when you squeeze the gas on the highway, it surges, I like that. You will go over 500miles on a tank, I like that. The muted grumbling engine note at idle is manly, I like that!

The fun factor? Out accelerating all sorts of cars this afternoon in an X5 plasetered with large stickers saying "Efficient dynamics" and "BMW Advanced Diesel". Bravo Munich.
__________________
2008 M5 6sp - Space Gray/Black
2005 Toyota 4Runner 4WD Sport Edition, Silver

Gone but not forgotten
2004 545i steptronic - Titanium Gray - Sport Package
2003 Z4 2.5i manual - Sterling Gray - Sport Package, Premium Package
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD
1996 Mercedes C220 Classic
1996 VW T3 Caravelle 2.6i
1995 VW Jetta III CLX
1989 VW Jetta II CLI exec
1961 Auto Union (DKW) 1000S (inherited from grandmother)
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwulffusa View Post
I borrowed my local dealers X5 35d loaner today for an extended test drive this weekend. After couple of hrs around town and a little highway, my synopsis is, I love it!
I have driven the 3.0si and went crazy over its sluggish pull away and constant down changing when you squeeze the gas. Not so with the diesel. This thing has giddy up. There is an initial lag when you stand on it, then the power comes wooshing through like a freight train, the tach spins rapidly through 1st, 2nd and into 3rd, at which point you are breaking the speed limit...
If you drive normally the lag is not that evident at all, and if you work with it like you should drive a diesel the torque becomes very evident, you dont have to rev it at all in normal driving. It upshifts imperceptibly and accelerates smoothly. The only time the drivetrain seemed unsettled was at crawling pace when it didnt know whether it wanted to be in 1st or 2nd and there was an occassional bump from the intertia in the transmission, but I put this down to driving style and the fact that as a loaner car this thing's transmission computer simply doesnt know what pattern to go with....

Gas mileage was impressive too. I reset it a few times, in town it was around 20mpg, highway around 28mpg. Thats very good, damn, its excellant considering the ethusiastic spirit with which it accelerates and handles despite the weight. We judge it quickly by saying thats not good enough because with the price of diesel, mileage has to be better by at least 30% than the equivalent gas engine to make financial sense.... Well in this country perhaps, because the cost of diesel is ridiculous, and I just dont want to go down that road of discussion. So besides the dollars and cents in the equation, the diesel has intangible qualities. It doesnt downshift when you squeeze the gas on the highway, it surges, I like that. You will go over 500miles on a tank, I like that. The muted grumbling engine note at idle is manly, I like that!

The fun factor? Out accelerating all sorts of cars this afternoon in an X5 plasetered with large stickers saying "Efficient dynamics" and "BMW Advanced Diesel". Bravo Munich.
So what are you waiting for? Are you going to purchase one? I really like mine.

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 AM
WULFFZA WULFFZA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 329
Mein Auto: 08 M5 6sp
Round 2
On sunday morning I took it through some mountainous 2 lane roads where we ride our sport bikes. Some very tight spots with hairpins, undulations, and some patchwork tar. I could not believe how well this thing handles. I knew it was the best handling SUV on the market, but did not expect to have fun behind the wheel in such conditions. How it masks its size and weight is beyond me. Turn in is crisp, almost no body roll (and it didnt even have sport package or upgraded wheels), and if you downshifted to keep the revs above 2000rpm going into a turn the torque was instantaneous when you hit the gas, who needs a Z4...... : )
An after that it was still returning 21mpg, and of that only about 30miles was highway. Then I reset the mpg and drove home at normal pace, and it was back at 28mpg. What am I waiting for? The sticker of $60k with sport, premium, rear climate and running boards is just too steep for me right now. But perhaps if I sleep on it a while....
__________________
2008 M5 6sp - Space Gray/Black
2005 Toyota 4Runner 4WD Sport Edition, Silver

Gone but not forgotten
2004 545i steptronic - Titanium Gray - Sport Package
2003 Z4 2.5i manual - Sterling Gray - Sport Package, Premium Package
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD
1996 Mercedes C220 Classic
1996 VW T3 Caravelle 2.6i
1995 VW Jetta III CLX
1989 VW Jetta II CLI exec
1961 Auto Union (DKW) 1000S (inherited from grandmother)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 AM
WULFFZA WULFFZA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 329
Mein Auto: 08 M5 6sp
And lastly, when I put diesel in yesterday morning, it as $2.15 a gall., and premium was $2.18, I use premium in both my vehicles, so argument over, the diesel would save me 30-35% in fuel.
__________________
2008 M5 6sp - Space Gray/Black
2005 Toyota 4Runner 4WD Sport Edition, Silver

Gone but not forgotten
2004 545i steptronic - Titanium Gray - Sport Package
2003 Z4 2.5i manual - Sterling Gray - Sport Package, Premium Package
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD
1996 Mercedes C220 Classic
1996 VW T3 Caravelle 2.6i
1995 VW Jetta III CLX
1989 VW Jetta II CLI exec
1961 Auto Union (DKW) 1000S (inherited from grandmother)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
cmharcou cmharcou is offline
Registered User
Location: in
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: 05 BMW X5
We just bought one. 09 x5 35d. The diesel is so much more fun to drive. We did the financing through BMW select $750 month on it sticker was $63k What kind of payments are you guys making?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmharcou View Post
We just bought one. 09 x5 35d. The diesel is so much more fun to drive. We did the financing through BMW select $750 month on it sticker was $63k What kind of payments are you guys making?
My window sticker was 68,370.00

I got it for 1000.00 over invoice plus training of 180.00

I didn't finance it...

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwulffusa View Post
And lastly, when I put diesel in yesterday morning, it as $2.15 a gall., and premium was $2.18, I use premium in both my vehicles, so argument over, the diesel would save me 30-35% in fuel.
Good luck with your decision. I really like mine and I have the sport package...


Craig
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 PM
grover432 grover432 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 627
Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
Craig, any tramlining with the wider tires in the Sport Package? Did you compare ride quality between a sport and non sport before you chose the sport?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
Craig, any tramlining with the wider tires in the Sport Package? Did you compare ride quality between a sport and non sport before you chose the sport?

I have the 19" wheels on mine. I wanted the 20" wheels, but they're not available with the diesel, only on the V8. My car came with Michelin tires from the factory. 3 of my wheels were damaged at delivery, so the dealer swapped out wheels and tires. Now, I have Bridgestone tires and it doesn't handle or ride as well as the Michelin tires. Plus, the Bridgestone tires are noisy. I don't have any tramlining. You can switch the sport button off or on. I leave mine on all the time. It handles better with the button on. I have driven a couple without the sport package and I like the ride with the sport package. The 18" wheels are too small and look out of place on the X5.

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 PM
CycloneRcr CycloneRcr is offline
Registered User
Location: Istanbul
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: E53 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I have the 19" wheels on mine. I wanted the 20" wheels, but they're not available with the diesel, only on the V8.
Craig
It is hard to understand the policies of BMWNA Those 20"ers with 315 wide rear rubber are astonishing!! I can't see why BMWNA offer them only on V8. Everywhere else you can get whatever you want with whatever engine.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneRcr View Post
It is hard to understand the policies of BMWNA Those 20"ers with 315 wide rear rubber are astonishing!! I can't see why BMWNA offer them only on V8. Everywhere else you can get whatever you want with whatever engine.
Yeah, I agree... Total BS. I think it's a way of marketing here in the U.S.A.

We had to wait two years for the diesel option also. The diesel at both this years North American Auto Show and last years show had 20" wheels on the show vehicle. For some stupid reason, you can't order 20" wheels on the diesel here in the U.S.

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Rdgdawg Rdgdawg is offline
Registered User
Location: WI
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: Former 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Yeah, I agree... Total BS. I think it's a way of marketing here in the U.S.A.

We had to wait two years for the diesel option also. The diesel at both this years North American Auto Show and last years show had 20" wheels on the show vehicle. For some stupid reason, you can't order 20" wheels on the diesel here in the U.S.

Craig
Really? I have my configuration saved on BMW USA w/ 21" double spoke greys. I'm debating on this set-up w/ sport package vs 4.8 w/ M-package and 20"...

4.8 config is $82K, 35d config is $78K, both are LOADED...

I have NOT sat down with my rep to confirm the build on the 35d as of yet, but he told me if the sight allows it, should be able to do...

For an X5 35d

Base MSRP $51,200
Space Gray Metallic $0
Sand Beige Perforated Nevada Leather $0
Dark Burl Walnut wood trim $0
Active ventilated seat package $2,100
Cold Weather Package $1,250
Premium Package $3,400
Premium Sound Package $1,850
Rear Climate Package $900
Sport Package $3,700
Technology Package $2,600
3rd row seat $1,700
HD radio $350
iPod and USB adapter $400
21" Double Spoke 215 in Grey $6,495
Aerodynamic Kit $1,211
Destination & Handling: $825
Total MSRP as Built $77,981

Last edited by Rdgdawg; 04-18-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Yeah, you can purchase the wheels as an after market item, but not as a factory option. I wanted the 20" wheels, but they were not
available as an option like on the V8.

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 AM
chrisutley chrisutley is offline
Registered User
Location: Cincinnati, OH
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2006 VW Passat 3.2L V6
I just bought a 35d myself, and I would agree with most of your analysis. After negotiating a nice discount, I feel like I'm driving the V8 for the price of the V6.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms