Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 325is
bmw v6?

Im so curious. did bmw ever make a v6 engine? i cant find anything on it anywhere. i might not be looking hard enough though
Old 03-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
No.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:30 PM

Good. i dont like v6's. not as much torque as the inline. bmw = good people
Old 03-31-2009, 04:41 PM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
inline > v6

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 03-31-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsteve View Post
inline > v6
my thoughts exactly
Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 88 bmw 325is
I think they have only made I4s, I6s, V8s, V10, V12s and a V16 but the V16 never went into production bummer for all of us right

-Stats
>19lbs injectors
>mark D chip
>kamotors CAI
>Zimmermann cross drilled rotors
>cool carbon pads
>Bilstein Sport shocks and Bavarian Autosport springs
>M30 AFM
>205/60 R14 tires
-Coming Soon
>25MM Brake MC
>Front Strut Brace
>IE sway bars

Last edited by prestige; 03-31-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestige View Post
I think they have only made I4s, I6s, V8s, V10, V12s and a V16 but the V16 never went into production bummer for all of us right
lol not really bummer for all of us cuz i dont think i could fit a v16 into my e30.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:11 PM
610EUROs

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30-325 View Post
lol not really bummer for all of us cuz i dont think i could fit a v16 into my e30.
ill take the gold plated v12 BMW engine they put in Mclarens

Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Oh Wow! i didnt know that! Wikipedia even verified it! And as for the gold plated thing.... OMG they actually used gold as its heat shield!
Learn something every day haha

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Im so curious. did bmw ever make a v6 engine? i cant find anything on it anywhere. i might not be looking hard enough though
Blasphemy!!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Black Mage

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Sedan
Inline is better than the V-formation. It's much smoother and harmonically balanced, which means far less garbled weights for balancing the moving pistons. It is a big mofo however, which is why V even exists.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:38 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
If you consider the Isetta a BMW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33_n0d3 View Post
Inline is better than the V-formation. It's much smoother and harmonically balanced, which means far less garbled weights for balancing the moving pistons. It is a big mofo however, which is why V even exists.
Yes, packaging.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: 88 bmw 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
If you consider the Isetta a BMW....
No I consider that a quad with a roof

-Stats
>19lbs injectors
>mark D chip
>kamotors CAI
>Zimmermann cross drilled rotors
>cool carbon pads
>Bilstein Sport shocks and Bavarian Autosport springs
>M30 AFM
>205/60 R14 tires
-Coming Soon
>25MM Brake MC
>Front Strut Brace
>IE sway bars
Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
No I consider that a quad with a roof
I can piture it now... Xtreme Urkel
Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Metric Mechanic

Mein Auto: Polly(My '87 track ****)
Quote:
I have the V12 out of a 750il in my junkyard! I did not pull it because it has 255,xxx miles on it

E30 325 Mods: Short throw shifter, MOMO knob, Custom leather shifter and E-brake boots, cold air intake, BMW front spoiler, 2'' 1/2 exhaust with Scorpion muffler, Replaced all stereo wire to 12ga, Pioneer deck, pioneer 6 1/2 speakers up front and Infinity reference 6 3/4 in the back, two Autobahn 12'' subs with a Kenwood 350 watt amp bridged at one ohm (replacing with Hifonics Brutus 2500 mono D-class)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 AM
610EUROs

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 F34R View Post
I have the V12 out of a 750il in my junkyard! I did not pull it because it has 255,xxx miles on it

E30 325 Mods: Short throw shifter, MOMO knob, Custom leather shifter and E-brake boots, cold air intake, BMW front spoiler, 2'' 1/2 exhaust with Scorpion muffler, Replaced all stereo wire to 12ga, Pioneer deck, pioneer 6 1/2 speakers up front and Infinity reference 6 3/4 in the back, two Autobahn 12'' subs with a Kenwood 350 watt amp bridged at one ohm (replacing with Hifonics Brutus 2500 mono D-class)
the 750il ones dont even compare to the mclaren ones. there is a bmw v12
in hazleton Pa harrys. i thought about takng it for a v12 tt project but with how little gas mileage and how expensive replacement parts are it just wasnt worth it.

go to your CP to make a sig. and sterios arent really sig worthy. especially infinity and audiobahn stuff

Old 04-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Metric Mechanic

Mein Auto: Polly(My '87 track ****)
Quote:
in hazleton Pa harrys. i thought about takng it for a v12 tt project but with how little gas mileage and how expensive replacement parts are it just wasnt worth it.

go to your CP to make a sig. and sterios arent really sig worthy. especially infinity and audiobahn stuff
Audiobahn, no but Infinity YES I love their Kappa comps. I guess stereo is not sig worthy, But I love doing car shows. And the 750il is not EVEN close to the Mclaren V12 I just said I have a V12 in my yard. And yes, way to much money to get parts and buy gas.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:

ummmm i'll definitely take a gold plated v12 to put in my e30

god, that would be so sick
Old 04-06-2009, 09:38 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by v33_n0d3 View Post
im sorry i had to quote to this, but there are good and bad things about I6's. the #1 thing is the length, and another is the weight. longer crank making more capable areas to bend/break and depending on which engine you have (older jeep owners mainly) is the intake and exhaust manifolds are on one side. but the things you get that are better, more torque, easy to work on, max of 2 cams, and easy to mod

but to make the arguement equal, V6's have their goods and bads too. like they can rev higher without the harmonics as inlines, also more hp at stock numbers, but less torque. much shorter, so small women can see over the hood in their huge suvs. but the downfalls, a bitch to work on, theres 2 heads, one can warp and the other is just fine, and you have to remove both, also one that i hate the most, is most of the newer engines have a two piece intake manifold

of course this will lead into a huge war so game on..............
Old 04-08-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
im sorry i had to quote to this, but there are good and bad things about I6's. the #1 thing is the length, and another is the weight. longer crank making more capable areas to bend/break and depending on which engine you have (older jeep owners mainly) is the intake and exhaust manifolds are on one side. but the things you get that are better, more torque, easy to work on, max of 2 cams, and easy to mod

but to make the arguement equal, V6's have their goods and bads too. like they can rev higher without the harmonics as inlines, also more hp at stock numbers, but less torque. much shorter, so small women can see over the hood in their huge suvs. but the downfalls, a bitch to work on, theres 2 heads, one can warp and the other is just fine, and you have to remove both, also one that i hate the most, is most of the newer engines have a two piece intake manifold

of course this will lead into a huge war so game on..............
So which one would you prefer?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 AM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
So which one would you prefer?
i love the i6's because i grew up around jeeps and 4wheelin, but i do have the v6 in my runner and i like how it runs on the highway. so for me its like a 50/50 type thing.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
Straight Six Engine

Balance and smoothness; An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance achieved without using a balance shaft. Engine is in primary balance because front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images and the pistons move in pairs. That is, piston #1 balances #6, #2 balances #5, and #3 balances #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because an inline six cylinder crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes displaced at 120 degrees, resulting with differences in piston speed at any given point in rotation are effectively canceled

Straight-6 or inline-6 engine (often abbreviated I6 or L6) is a six cylinder internal combustion engine with all six cylinders mounted in a straight line along crankcase. The single bank of cylinders may be oriented in either a vertical or an inclined plane with all pistons driving a common crankshaft. Where it is inclined, it is sometimes called a slant-6. The straight-6 layout is the simplest engine layout that possesses both primary and secondary mechanical engine balance, resulting in relatively low manufacturing cost combined with much less vibration than engines with fewer cylinders.

An inline four cylinder or V6 engine without a balance shaft will experience secondary dynamic imbalance, resulting in engine vibration. Forces arising from any dynamic imbalance increase as a square of engine speed-that is, if speed doubles, vibration will increase by a factor of four. In contrast, inline six engines have no primary or secondary imbalances, and with carefully designed crankshaft vibration dampers to absorb torsional vibration, will run more smoothly at
same crankshaft speed (RPM). This characteristic has made inline six engine popular in some European sports-luxury cars, where smooth high-speed performance and good fuel economy are desirable. As engine reciprocating forces increase with the cube of piston mass, inline six is a preferred configuration for large truck engines

Displacement range; Straight-6 design is used for engine displacements ranging from approximately 2 to 5 litres (120 to 310 cu in) in automobiles. It is also sometimes used for smaller engines but these, although very smooth running, tend to be rather expensive to manufacture and are inevitably physically longer than alternative layouts. Smallest production straight-6 was found in Benelli 750 Sei motorcycle, displacing 747.7 cubic centimetres (45.63 cu in) (0.75 L). Straight-6 is a fully balanced configuration which can be scaled up to very large sizes for industrial and marine use, such as 16-litre (980 cu in) Vovo diesel engine in heavy vehicles. Largest engines are used to power ships, which use diesel fuel and have displacements as high as 1,820 litres (111,000 cu in) per cylinder.

Historically, straight-6 engines were introduced earlier than V6s. First straight-6 was manufactured in 1904, it was 1950 before a production V6 was introduced. V6s (unlike cross plane V8s) had intrinsic vibration problems that were difficult to eliminate, without computer aided design. Length of tstraight-6 was not a major concern in older front-engine/rear-wheel drive vehicles, but a move to space-efficient front- engine/front wheel drive and transverse engine (left-to-right versus front-to-back) configurations in smaller cars caused the much shorter length of the V6 to become a major advantage.

Recently automobile manufacturers have replaced most of their straight-6 engines (and many V8s) with V6 engines; Mercedes- Benz now uses V6 engines despite most of their lineup retaining the front-engine/rear-wheel layout.

Exceptions to the shift to V6 engines include BMW specializing in high-performance straight-6s and its lineup is composed of front-engine/rear-wheel drive vehicles, Vovo, which designed a compact straight-6 engine/transmission package to fit transversely in its larger cars, and the Australian Ford Falcon, which still uses a straight-6 configuration. Straight-6s also continue to be commonly used in medium to large trucks, and SUVs, where engine length is less of a concern. GM introduced Vortec 4200 in 2002 as part of the modular straight-4, straight-5 and straight-6 GM Atlas Engine line.

Crankshafts on 6 cylinder engines generally have either 4 main bearings or 7 main bearings. Larger engines and diesels tend to use latter design because of high loadings and to avoid crankshaft flex. Because of 6 cylinder engine's smooth characteristic, there is a tendency for a driver to load the engine at low rpm. This can produce crankshaft flex in 4 main bearing designs where the crank spans distance of 2 cylinders between main bearings. This distance is longer than the distance between two adjacent main bearings on a V6 with 4 mains because the V6 has cylinder bores on opposite banks which overlap significantly. In addition, modern high-compression engines subject the crankshaft to greater bending loads from higher peak gas pressures, requiring the crankthrows to have greater support from adjacent bearings, so it is now customary to design straight-6s with 7 main bearings.

Sporty high performance engines use a 4 bearing design because of better torsional stiffness (eg BMW small straight 6's, Ford's Zephyr 6). In a 7 main bearing design the crank has two throws between each cylinder. The accumulated length of main bearing journals and 12 crank throws, gives a relatively torsionally flexible crankshaft. The 4 main bearing design has only 6 crank throws and 4 main journals so is much stiffer in the torsional domain. At high rpm the lack of torsional stiffness can make the 7 main bearing design susceptible to torsional flex and potential breakage. A V12 engine can be made with the same number of crank throws as the 7 main bearing straight 6. Another factor affecting large straight 6 engines is the front mounted timing chain which connects the camshaft(s) to the crank. The camshafts are also quite long and subject to torsional flex as they in turn operate valves alternately near the front of the engine and near the rear. At high rpm the camshaft(s) can flex torsionally while the crank is doing likewise. This results in valve timing for the rear most cylinders becoming inaccurate and erratic, losing power and in extreme cases resulting in mechanical interference between valve and piston with catastrophic results. Some designers have experimented with installing the timing chain/gears in the middle of the engine (between cylinders 3 and 4) or adding a second timing chain at engine rear.Either method can solve the problem.

Another factor affecting large 6 cylinder engines to achieve high rpm is simple geometric reality of a relatively long stroke (undersquare) design. A straight 6 is a long engine. Engine designer is encouraged to make it as short as possible while height is not usually a problem. Hence the tendency to use a longer stroke and smaller bore than in a V engine to achieve a given capacity. By contrast, a long-stroke V engine tends to become too wide, which encourages increasing the bore rather than the stroke to increase displacement. Longer stroke of straight-6 increases crank throw and piston speed which tends to reduce engine rpm rating.

History of the straight-6, first inline six was produced by Napier in 1904. In 1909, there were some eighty manufacturers using it, 62 in Britain alone.

BMW Straight-6 engines; BMW introduced its first straight 6-cylinder engine in 1933. It developed I6 engines for the post-World War II era by adding two cylinders to its M10 four-cylinder design. In 1968 it introduced a M30 straight-6 design with the same 30-degree slant, overhead camshaft layout, and 100 mm bore spacing as the four. It originally intended to follow up with a V8 engine line in the early 1970s, but when Oil Crisis of 1973 hit, BMW canceled its V8 plans and concentrated on refining and enlarging its straight-6 lineup. These included a smaller straight-6 in 2.0 L and 2.3 L displacements (BMW M20) ,versions of larger BMW M30 up to 3.8 L (S38B38); and beginning in 1983 a series of M21 straight-6 diesels. In 1986 BMW introduced M70 V12 which was essentially two 2.5 L straight-6s on the same crankshaft. Currently, a straight-six is offered in BMW Series 1, 3, 5, 6 & 7 (Euro models), BMW X3, BMW X5, BMW X6, and BMW Z4.

Richard
Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Don't knock the V engines since our coveted M series are V8 & V10.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM

haha nope not hating on the v6s but i would rather have the inline. but i'd rather have a v8, v10, or v12 over an inline 6
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM

and that was definitely suppose to be a :thumbsup: