Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0 si
Unhappy Z4 I need your help / opinion

I feel ripped off... this is ridiculous. I have a 2007 Z4 3.0 si and I got it brand new from the dealer June of 07. The sales person went on and on about how great the warranty is and how it's like no other, I specifically remember them comparing themselves to Lexus and saying how the warranty sets them apart from Lexus, and back then they had their entire ad campaign built around it. So I thought this is great I get a great fun car and there's this to look forward to God forbid something goes wrong. Silly me!!!

Anyways, spring is here and after a few months of not opening the roof I tried it and it would unhook but won't open so I leave it to be serviced and they say that they can't tell me what's wrong until they remove the roof. So I tell them ok see what's wrong with it. Now they say water has gone around the hydraulic pump and it needs to be replaced but the warranty won't cover it because rain is considered environmental influences!

And the service adviser had the audacity to ask whether I had parked it outside or drove it under the rain!!! And yes before you jokingly ask, we were NOT talking about with the roof down! Now they say overall it will cost me around $2,500!!! or just to put the top back on, because I let them take it off, they will charge me $1,200 for labor!!!!!

Does anybody know what my next step should be? I called the BMW relations department and they are investigating it but it sounds like they are going to be on the service center's side!!! This is crazy! Shouldn't they have told me the car can't stand rain? I loved my car and everything about it until this happened and now I don't know what to think. I've only put 10,000 miles on it in 2 years and have kept it clean and in good condition! This is just ridiculous...I feel I've been ripped off!!! God damn it! Any ideas anyone?
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
So they are saying that BMW made a car that could not be driven or parked in the rain and that the car is made so that it will let rain into the area where hydraulic pump is and that this is an environmental influence? If that is what they are saying, then you may have grounds for legal actions (I am not a lawyer, so take my advice for what it is worth). I don't have a Z4, so I have to ask, do you really need to take the top off to get to the hydraulic pump?

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW Perf Tune w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Htd Seats = 4-season vert

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by khammack View Post
, do you really need to take the top off to get to the hydraulic pump?
That is my understanding as well.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:34 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBBQ View Post
I feel ripped off... this is ridiculous. I have a 2007 Z4 3.0 si and I got it brand new from the dealer June of 07. The sales person went on and on about how great the warranty is and how it's like no other, I specifically remember them comparing themselves to Lexus and saying how the warranty sets them apart from Lexus, and back then they had their entire ad campaign built around it. So I thought this is great I get a great fun car and there's this to look forward to God forbid something goes wrong. Silly me!!!

Anyways, spring is here and after a few months of not opening the roof I tried it and it would unhook but won't open so I leave it to be serviced and they say that they can't tell me what's wrong until they remove the roof. So I tell them ok see what's wrong with it. Now they say water has gone around the hydraulic pump and it needs to be replaced but the warranty won't cover it because rain is considered environmental influences!

And the service adviser had the audacity to ask whether I had parked it outside or drove it under the rain!!! And yes before you jokingly ask, we were NOT talking about with the roof down! Now they say overall it will cost me around $2,500!!! or just to put the top back on, because I let them take it off, they will charge me $1,200 for labor!!!!!

Does anybody know what my next step should be? I called the BMW relations department and they are investigating it but it sounds like they are going to be on the service center's side!!! This is crazy! Shouldn't they have told me the car can't stand rain? I loved my car and everything about it until this happened and now I don't know what to think. I've only put 10,000 miles on it in 2 years and have kept it clean and in good condition! This is just ridiculous...I feel I've been ripped off!!! God damn it! Any ideas anyone?
Ask them to show you bulletin 54 03 03 dated 09/2008.
Cars up to 10/2003 had this same issue.
The fix was sealing it with butyl tape.
Since your car has this fix, either the fix is no good or it was not properly sealed in production.
That should be their problem.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335
Do not let them charge you please. Talk to BMWNA and be stern but polite.

You are not crazy thinking this is ridiculous.

TCK d/a coilovers, Stoptech 6/4 piston BBK, OEM CSL headers
Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 2.5
I wouldn't start out by talking with a lawyer, since they don't work for free. Most states have some mechanism for dealing with auto warranty issues. I'd start with a search to find who to talk to in Maryland. I'd be surprised if BMWNA doesn't come through.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 2.5 bmw z3 roadster
I would think the language of "environmental influence" would cover things like bird droppings ruining paint, damage from a wind storm etc...

I'm no lawyer but, I would consult one if BMWNA does not do what is right. A quick letter referring to the seller's obligation under implied warranty of merchantability (def. A promise, arising by operation of law, that something that is sold will be merchantable and fit for the purpose for which it is sold) could be a help. Clearly a car that can't be in the rain with the top up violates principle. The money spent on the lawyer, if needed, could be a good investment in this situation.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by khammack View Post
So they are saying that BMW made a car that could not be driven or parked in the rain and that the car is made so that it will let rain into the area where hydraulic pump is and that this is an environmental influence? If that is what they are saying, then you may have grounds for legal actions (I am not a lawyer, so take my advice for what it is worth). I don't have a Z4, so I have to ask, do you really need to take the top off to get to the hydraulic pump?
According to the TIS you do.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:04 PM
PROFESSIONAL SLEEPER

Mein Auto: GTI, BLOWN M ROADY
If there is water damage to the pump, and you did not leave it in the rain w/
the top down, it is a warranty issue. But, if they can prove that you left the top down in the rain and that is what caused the damage they can deny the claim under warranty.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Joiner

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 2.5 and 2010 128i
Troll?

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i
Old 04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysc1 View Post
Troll?
What?! Just because the OP hasn't stayed on the forum all day long?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Joiner

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 2.5 and 2010 128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
What?! Just because the OP hasn't stayed on the forum all day long?
And your point is?

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i
Old 04-01-2009, 04:54 PM
F e s t S p o n s o r

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
Like stated above. Talk to BMWNA and be stern but polite it goes a long way. It might take several calls .
Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4MC
You have the right to a written estimate before the dealership does any work.
Were you told that you could be charged beforehand?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0 2003 X5
My 2004 CPO Z4 is getting a new motor right now as I type this. It is covered under CPO Warranty. Will cost me $50.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDogWater View Post
You have the right to a written estimate before the dealership does any work.
Were you told that you could be charged beforehand?
Actually this is 100% true, in order to obtain and maintain an MVR they can't charge you unless you signed something waving your write to a written estimate or a written estimate. No joke.

And if they try you can get out of it in 10 seconds by calling the state. They will be up their ass so fast it's not even funny. This is no joke.

TCK d/a coilovers, Stoptech 6/4 piston BBK, OEM CSL headers
Old 04-02-2009, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 TiAg/IR Z4MC LL93700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Ask them to show you bulletin 54 03 03 dated 09/2008.
Cars up to 10/2003 had this same issue.
The fix was sealing it with butyl tape.
Since your car has this fix, either the fix is no good or it was not properly sealed in production.
That should be their problem.
Take Ron's advice first...then tell BMWNA about what Ron said...sternly and politely.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0 si
Thumbs up

OK folks thanks for all the suggestions, it took a while but finally they accepted to do it for free, the BMW regional office instructed the service center that I took my car to, to fix it for free but they were VERY CLEAR that it was a one time thing only and not just me but no other customer would be covered by warranty. They said since your car was in almost perfect condition with less than 10,000 miles on it we decided to help you out!

I still think this should have been covered by warranty; it's a total BS situation created by some design flaw!

I just have a feeling that the threat of a lawsuit especially right when they were going to introduce the new Z4 would have been a public relations problem for them so they decided to make me go away quietly!

Anyhow sorry for not updating you all sooner.

Last edited by KBBQ; 07-27-2009 at 11:16 AM.