Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: X6 50i
X6 and totally bad engineering decisions.

I do appreciate the ability to escape from police in my new X6 50i but here are things I wish were better in X6

1. Rear view camera. Total crap. Tolerable at best during daytime, Close to not existent at night. I have Nissan Murano and Toyota Siena. Both cars cost twice less but do not have those camera's problems.

2. Parking Sensors. Why would it read front sensors when I am in reverse? I do not know about Germany but here in NJ, USA most parking spots are head to head. And every time I am trying to pull out from of the parking spot I got to listen to crazy beeps from the front sensor simply because there is another car parked in front of me. So in 2 weeks I developed a habit to ignore those beeping sounds and it kills the idea of having those sensors at all. My Toyota ignores front sensors when I am in reverse.

3. Why I can not close my trunk from remote or from the car. Only by button on the rear door. I have a 10 year old and he simply can not reach that button. At least 2-3 times a week he forgets something in a trunk and need to get it. Then I need to go with him just to close the rear door. I read in a manual that it's a safety feature. But common, first it has sensors and will not close if something there and second why make cars then at all. I have more chances to run over someone than close rear door on someone.

4. Why I need to hold the brakes when pushing Start button (I have convenience package). In a cold weather I switch my Murano on and run home to let the seats get warm.
My X6 forces me to put my a.s on a cold leather seat.
The car is in a "Park" mode. It simply should not let me switch to Reverse or Drive without pushing breaks. But why not to let me switch is on?

5. The initialization time for camera is really really long. I am off my driveway already when it's finally starts showing crappy image.

And those things I am using almost everyday. Escaping from police .... not so much
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevorg View Post
I do appreciate the ability to escape from police in my new X6 50i but here are things I wish were better in X6

1. Rear view camera. Total crap. Tolerable at best during daytime, Close to not existent at night. I have Nissan Murano and Toyota Siena. Both cars cost twice less but do not have those camera's problems.

2. Parking Sensors. Why would it read front sensors when I am in reverse? I do not know about Germany but here in NJ, USA most parking spots are head to head. And every time I am trying to pull out from of the parking spot I got to listen to crazy beeps from the front sensor simply because there is another car parked in front of me. So in 2 weeks I developed a habit to ignore those beeping sounds and it kills the idea of having those sensors at all. My Toyota ignores front sensors when I am in reverse.

3. Why I can not close my trunk from remote or from the car. Only by button on the rear door. I have a 10 year old and he simply can not reach that button. At least 2-3 times a week he forgets something in a trunk and need to get it. Then I need to go with him just to close the rear door. I read in a manual that it's a safety feature. But common, first it has sensors and will not close if something there and second why make cars then at all. I have more chances to run over someone than close rear door on someone.

4. Why I need to hold the brakes when pushing Start button (I have convenience package). In a cold weather I switch my Murano on and run home to let the seats get warm.
The car is in a "Park" mode. It simply should not let me switch to Reverse or Drive without pushing breaks. But why not to let me switch is on?

5. The initialization time for camera is really really long. I am off my driveway already when it's finally starts showing crappy image.

And those things I am using almost everyday. Escaping from police .... not so much
1. The cam is an issue. It could be better but that is what BMW is putting on all models with cams. It is not just an X6 thing.

2. The parking sensors are enabled on the front while in reverse because you could back up with the wheels turned and the front end could hit something.

3. The trunk closes fast and hard. There is no chime or sensor to detect objects. It is not that there could be sensors, it is because there isn't. So it is for safety. You cannot close convertible tops with a remote either.

4. Law requires all cars to be started only when the break is pressed. This is a carry over from an Audi lawsuit in the 1980's.

5. If you get in the car in a hurry and start the car, iDrive takes 10 seconds to get past the accept screen and a full 28 seconds to boot up. If you really want the cam and everything else quicker, unlock the car from 50 ft away with the fob as the computer starts booting once the car is unlocked.

I must admit some of your questions are odd. Is this like your first new car in a few decades?

Last edited by sdbrandon; 04-01-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Well, I totally disagree...

2. As i said, i am totally ignoring those beeping because they beep almost always. What is the point to have them. You could smash the whole front on my Toyota Sienna 2006 while it's in reverse and front sensors will not make a beep. I find it's much smarter decision.

3. Trunk does have sensors to detects objects. I put my head in and pushed the button...still alive Actually those sensors are pretty good. I barely felt like door touched my head. So question stands.

4. I do not know about the law and suspect you know it from the sales speech or something like that. I can start my Nissan Murano 2005 without hitting brakes. All i need is a key inside of the car. The law actually states that you should not be able to switch to Drive or Reverse without pushing brakes and that how it's in Murano and should be in BMW. Why do i need to push brakes when i am starting the car... It's in a Parking mode...

5. Thanks for the advice, but i paid $1000 to have the convenient access and now i was advised not to use it and reach my remote to push buttons... well sounds strange..but still thanks for the advice, I guess i do not have another option.
PS: in Murano the RearView camera is instantaneous as soon as i switch to reverse. Does not wait till computer initialized.

PPS: Murano was $35000, X6 - $73000... sorry i expect more from it.
Right now it's only good to runaway from police and to annoy neighbors

Last edited by Gevorg; 04-01-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:49 AM

OK, today i decided to stink up the dealership. (I got to go there anyway for my plates).

My point

1. if they advertise a camera and charge extra $400 for it then it must be working comparable to other cars, otherwise they should have advertised it as a daytime camera.

2. In a manual it says that from moment i switched to reverse the camera should come up in couple seconds. It's simply not the case if i do not unlock the door a minute in advance. I have a convenience key and like to use it. So when i open the door, get in a car and switch to reverse it takes about 10 seconds for camera to show up....

I am not a lawyer and not sure if the lemon law is applicable here but it's clearly something not working as advertised and i want them to fix it....

It's like you would not be happy if they advertised 400hp engine and in a result you got 200hp engine... The same here... it's an advertised feature and it must work.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Quote:

#1. I would not object to your complain. My parents Odyssey's camera is pretty good at night as well.

#2. May be NJ is an expectional. There are still plenty of places do parallel parking. Don't forget you get sensors front and pack, when it is on, it is on on all front.

#3. You're simply picking bones in an egg. Just organize yourself better.

#4. Remember the key start? There are at least 2 or 3 notches to turn to start the engine. If you don't depress brake and only press start, you are going the equivalent of turning the key a notch without igniting the engine. May be you should have gotten the cold weather package. Warmth on your rear end in matter of seconds.

#5. BMW onboard PC is slow.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 04-02-2009, 07:14 AM

#2. I have yet to see the parallel parking at the grocery store, may be in a big city but in suburbs it's mostly head to head.

#3. I agree with you that this is minor. It's not me, it's my 10 year old who needs to get into trunk and then can not close it. And i would pay money for him to be organized better but i gave up on that long time ago. So right now i need to go with him just to close my trunk.

#4. Sorry, i did not get about notches and staff... I can start the car without actually getting the key out of the pocket. And i do have cold weather package. But still i am annoyed that i must put my rear end on the cold seat in order to start the car. On my Murano i could start the car, put my crap into trunk and by the time i am on my seat it's warm and cozy.

All i am saying that it's a bad decision on BMW part. The requirements from government were not to move transmission from Parking and they should have stopped there not going further and not allowing me turn the engine on.

Germans decided to play revenge for cold Russian winters in WWW and make me sit into cold German seats

PS: I am Russian originally, and it's a joke (i am not paranoid)
Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 AM

Another annoying feature i can live with
#6. If i am not buckled up it beeps without stopping. So far only BMW out of all cars do that.
Hey, BMW. If i wanted someone to tell me what to do i would not pay 80K, I would just get married
Old 04-02-2009, 06:29 PM
BAK

Mein Auto: 2009 X6
I agree 95% Gevorg

First of all I agree with you 95% Gevorg. Don't let anyone tell you differently !!
I absolutely love my X6, however I will be the first to tell you there are some very poor design/operating feautures.
Here are my comments:

1 Camera, cars with half the price of this vehicle have twice the resolution as the X6.

2 Parking Sensors, I don't agree with you regarding turning front sensors off during reverse, I agree with the comment that while reversing the front could swing around and hit something. Sooooo I would have to say I agree with BMW with regards to the reversing. What I DONT agree with is that you have to manually turn the parking sensors on while pulling up to a wall or shopping cart. This is when you need it most !! BS Design

3 Rear Hatch, No question you should be able to close it from the inside. My wifes 50K GM will reverse if something gets in the way, why can't they design this one to do it. I know the hatch slams shut at the end, so what. They make soft close doors make the hatch the same !

4 Push Brake to start, I guess I never thought about having to sit on a cold seat VS sticking your hand in and pushing the button. (I too have keyless start) Another point is why no remote start. Then you would not have to go out in the cold.

5 Delay in computer booting up, this is a real problem for me. It pretty much makes the rear camera useless as I am pretty much driving away before it starts working. Sure you could hit the remote while walking to the car, but thats why I paid $1000.00 for comfort access, so I could keep my key in my briefcase.

While I am at it, I will add a couple more:

6 Heated seat and steering wheel switch. I use my X6 for work. This requires me to get in and out of the vehicle many times a day. It is very frustrating to turn these two switches on 10-12 times a day. My previous car I turned them on in November and off in April. My guess is I will wear the paint off these switches in 20K miles.

7 Blue tooth, My job also requires me to be a heavy cell phone user. I almost always get cut off trying to switch from vehicle to handset. I must admit this may be my error. I would welcome any comments on this one.

8 Tire pressure monitoring, my wifes car send me a email monthly with the PSI of every tire. I don't think its unreasonable to ask the X6 to show the PSI in the I-Drive screen.

As I said, I love my X6. I look forward to my drive to work every day. I can honestly say I have not had that feeling previous to owning this vehicle. If I were to wreck it today, the only thing I would do differently is buy a M6.

It really blows my mind how some guys become so defensive of there cars that they cannot admit design flaws. Common its just metal and plastic, they all have flaws !!

Best,
Brian
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkosaian View Post
First of all I agree with you 95% Gevorg. Don't let anyone tell you differently !!
I absolutely love my X6, however I will be the first to tell you there are some very poor design/operating feautures.
Here are my comments:

1 Camera, cars with half the price of this vehicle have twice the resolution as the X6.

2 Parking Sensors, I don't agree with you regarding turning front sensors off during reverse, I agree with the comment that while reversing the front could swing around and hit something. Sooooo I would have to say I agree with BMW with regards to the reversing. What I DONT agree with is that you have to manually turn the parking sensors on while pulling up to a wall or shopping cart. This is when you need it most !! BS Design

3 Rear Hatch, No question you should be able to close it from the inside. My wifes 50K GM will reverse if something gets in the way, why can't they design this one to do it. I know the hatch slams shut at the end, so what. They make soft close doors make the hatch the same !

4 Push Brake to start, I guess I never thought about having to sit on a cold seat VS sticking your hand in and pushing the button. (I too have keyless start) Another point is why no remote start. Then you would not have to go out in the cold.

5 Delay in computer booting up, this is a real problem for me. It pretty much makes the rear camera useless as I am pretty much driving away before it starts working. Sure you could hit the remote while walking to the car, but thats why I paid $1000.00 for comfort access, so I could keep my key in my briefcase.

While I am at it, I will add a couple more:

6 Heated seat and steering wheel switch. I use my X6 for work. This requires me to get in and out of the vehicle many times a day. It is very frustrating to turn these two switches on 10-12 times a day. My previous car I turned them on in November and off in April. My guess is I will wear the paint off these switches in 20K miles.

7 Blue tooth, My job also requires me to be a heavy cell phone user. I almost always get cut off trying to switch from vehicle to handset. I must admit this may be my error. I would welcome any comments on this one.

8 Tire pressure monitoring, my wifes car send me a email monthly with the PSI of every tire. I don't think its unreasonable to ask the X6 to show the PSI in the I-Drive screen.

As I said, I love my X6. I look forward to my drive to work every day. I can honestly say I have not had that feeling previous to owning this vehicle. If I were to wreck it today, the only thing I would do differently is buy a M6.

It really blows my mind how some guys become so defensive of there cars that they cannot admit design flaws. Common its just metal and plastic, they all have flaws !!

Best,
Brian

You make good points. But come on, calling features that one car has design flaws that another does not have ?

I work at a large company. I have learned that 5% of the people generate 90% of the complaints. Some people are never happy regardless.

The same folks are bitching on the Lexus forum that the Nav is locked out while driving. They are also bitching that they have to press the accept screen button or it won't go away.

Acura MDX folks complain about the 70 some buttons on the center stack.

Mercedes IPOD and bluetooth intgeration plain sucks compared to BMW's.

I can go on all day, but come on. I am not a BMW elitist. But I can find fault in any car.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I agree it is stupid for the front parking sensors to be activated in reverse. My parents' Kia Sedona minivan (which I put them in) can open the rear liftgate with both the remote and from the driver's seat. It flashes the turn signal lights and beeps as it moves and it has safety sensors.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-04-2009, 06:38 PM

sdbrandon, i agree that some said things are just wishes and depend on the person but you can not call valid complains about bad rear view camera a bitching.

2 days ago I run into curb when tried to park backward on my driveway. Simply because it can not be told when curb goes flat with the driveway.
I just can not imagine it happening with another car that is equipped with rear view camera.

PS: I decided to park back-ways not because I like it but because it takes 15 seconds for camera to come on after I switch to reverse. Manual says that it takes couple seconds but it only happening if computer is initialized. In a morning I open my door (I have "convenient access" key) jump in and switch to reverse and then wait...wait...wait... first computer initializes for 10 seconds and only then in 2-3 seconds camera comes on. By that time I am already off my driveway usually and do not need the camera..

It's like when i am told that there are automatic windows on a car i kind of assume that i know what it means and will be pissed off if it meant that i need someones help to roll them down. The same with the camera. It's not a new techology (apparently new for BMW). Cars with camera existed 5 years ago. So i assumed i know what camera is and pissed of now cause in BMWs people's mind it means i should not be using it at night.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:48 AM
DirtyDeedsDoneDirtCheap

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Im surprised to say no one has mentioned to you that you can adjust the height at which your tailgate will open to. Just adjust the height so that your son can reach it and problem solved.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
PROFESSIONAL SLEEPER

Mein Auto: GTI, BLOWN M ROADY
Quote:
Originally Posted by gevorg View Post
another annoying feature i can live with
#6. If i am not buckled up it beeps without stopping. So far only bmw out of all cars do that.
Hey, bmw. If i wanted someone to tell me what to do i would not pay 80k, i would just get married
actually this is a false statement. Every vehicle from 2006 and on beep if the seat belt is not buckled. This is mandated by the federal government-
Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
DirtyDeedsDoneDirtCheap

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Quote:
Another annoying feature i can live with
#6. If i am not buckled up it beeps without stopping. So far only BMW out of all cars do that.
Hey, BMW. If i wanted someone to tell me what to do i would not pay 80K, I would just get married
At this point you're starting to sound like a whiny baby just looking for reasons to complain

Maybe you should have taken some of these things into consideration before purchasing the vehicle.

Did you check the rear-view camera before you purchased the X6?
Did you test out the PDC?
Were you even aware of the procedure of starting the car?

Are you considering the fact that just because these little features seem stupid to you they might have some other reason behind being designed like they were that *gasp* you haven't even thought of?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCee View Post
At this point you're starting to sound like a whiny baby just looking for reasons to complain

Maybe you should have taken some of these things into consideration before purchasing the vehicle.

Are you considering the fact that just because these little features seem stupid to you they might have some other reason behind being designed like they were that *gasp* you haven't even thought of?
This was my point (kind of). The world is littered with chronic complainers that will never ever be content. Had the X6 met all the requirements he listed, there would be other complaints.

People, before you plunk down hard earned money, do yourself a favor. If you are inclined to be miserable and complain, perform due diligence to understand exactly what you are buying and how everything works. Right now its like we have a bunch of teen age buyers running around without condoms. No doubt they will get themselves in trouble.

Last edited by sdbrandon; 04-08-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
dont own one. i do like the look of them. have you opened the rear hatch during rain? i've heard its not so good.

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*
Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 PM
BAK

Mein Auto: 2009 X6
No whining here, just enthusiast's

sdbrandon,mikecee,
I thought about this post for a day or so and could not resist any longer.

First of all, no one is whining here. In fact I was the first one to say how much I enjoy my new X6. The fact is there are things that SHOULD have been done differently in the vehicle. This is not just my opinion, but is common sense.

This is my first BMW and I could not even see one at a dealer let alone spend what would virtually take hours if not days to uncover some of the issues I mentioned in my post. Prior to owning the car I didn't even know what I-Drive was. Yes, one could say buyer beware you bought the thing basically sight unseen and then have the balls to complain about it.

If it makes you guys feel any better when I owned a GMC Denali I frequented a Edmunds sight and learned of products that were available to allow fog lights on without headlights. Another product opened the door locks when the vehicle was put in park NOT when the key was removed.

When I owned a VW Touareg I was unwilling to agree to the disclaimer on the Nav screen every time I started the car. I learned on clubtouareg.com how to program the radio/nav from North American Mode to Europe Mode to avoid this.

When I owned a Jag I learned of many repair issues prior to them occurring on jagtalk.com.

My wifes GM Enclave's auto tailgate smashes into the garage door every time I open the tailgate. There is no height adjustment to limit how high it travels. I frequent enclaveforum.net to find a solution but still have not found one. I also learned of the lockpick products which allow you to use all nav fuctions while in motion.

I am getting very close to purchasing a Ferrari and spend hours on Ferrarichat.com educating myself on them.

Are these complaints? One could view it as so. Maybe we are just auto enthusiasts looking to get a little more from our vehicles. I come on to these forums in hopes of finding products to improve my ownership and to share my experiences regardless if they are good or bad.

I said this before and will say it again. These are machines made of steel and plastic they all have flaws (Oh....I can't call them flaws) problems. You may or may not agree with them but they are there.

Best,
Brian

P.S.
I contacted the BMW dealer today and I am first on the list for the M6
Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Oorah!

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrandon View Post
1. The cam is an issue. It could be better but that is what BMW is putting on all models with cams. It is not just an X6 thing.

2. The parking sensors are enabled on the front while in reverse because you could back up with the wheels turned and the front end could hit something.

3. The trunk closes fast and hard. There is no chime or sensor to detect objects. It is not that there could be sensors, it is because there isn't. So it is for safety. You cannot close convertible tops with a remote either.

4. Law requires all cars to be started only when the break is pressed. This is a carry over from an Audi lawsuit in the 1980's.

5. If you get in the car in a hurry and start the car, iDrive takes 10 seconds to get past the accept screen and a full 28 seconds to boot up. If you really want the cam and everything else quicker, unlock the car from 50 ft away with the fob as the computer starts booting once the car is unlocked.

I must admit some of your questions are odd. Is this like your first new car in a few decades?
Brandon, you know your facts!
2010 E550 Coupe..... maybe...

Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Oorah!

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCee View Post

+1
2010 E550 Coupe..... maybe...

Old 04-08-2009, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDP///M View Post
actually this is a false statement. Every vehicle from 2006 and on beep if the seat belt is not buckled. This is mandated by the federal government-
Hate to bust your bubble, but my 2008 Infiniti g35 has a light that comes on but it does not beep at all if you don't buckle up.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i, 2006 Corvette

I'm pretty sure that this is untrue. None of my cars require the brake to be pressed when started. My Wife's 2008 Cadillac can be started from the factory key fob. Two of my cars have automatic transmissions and can't be put into gear without having a foot on the brake, but starting can be done by sticking my arm in the car. I just checked with my 2000 Chevy truck.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketV View Post

I'm pretty sure that this is untrue. None of my cars require the brake to be pressed when started. My Wife's 2008 Cadillac can be started from the factory key fob. Two of my cars have automatic transmissions and can't be put into gear without having a foot on the brake, but starting can be done by sticking my arm in the car. I just checked with my 2000 Chevy truck.
I believe there are two options. Some of the better models have both.

1. Depress brake to start car.

2. Depress brake to put car in gear. (auto tranny).

It is cheaper to use one rather than both, an GM well.... I guess the union workers were on strike the day the brake switches came in.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: '14 435XI
You are so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrandon View Post
You make good points. But come on, calling features that one car has design flaws that another does not have ?

I work at a large company. I have learned that 5% of the people generate 90% of the complaints. Some people are never happy regardless.

The same folks are bitching on the Lexus forum that the Nav is locked out while driving. They are also bitching that they have to press the accept screen button or it won't go away.

Acura MDX folks complain about the 70 some buttons on the center stack.

Mercedes IPOD and bluetooth intgeration plain sucks compared to BMW's.

I can go on all day, but come on. I am not a BMW elitist. But I can find fault in any car.
Preach on brother!

April 21, 2008 ED Pickup E92 335XI TiAg with Coral Red and Alum Trim
Redelivered - May 30, 2008 Retired
Currently Driving '11 E92 same setup like '08
On Oct, 21 2013 ED Pickup F32 435 x-Drive M-Sport Black with Coral Red