Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-02-2009, 02:32 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Remove hatch in dash

I have a 2007 X3 without nav. I'd like to do a bit of customizing and install a Garmin in the little hatch area in the center of the dashboard. You know, that thing that pops up in the middle of the dash.

I'm wondering if anyone has removed this as it'll be much easier to work on while on the bench.

I popped out the center vent above the radio but it still wasn't obvious what holds this in.

Thanks,

Tom
Ads by Google
Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbergman View Post
I popped out the center vent above the radio but it still wasn't obvious what holds this in.
It is just held in by 2 small screws on its front edge, about 8" apart - a few inches in from either edge of the lid.
Maybe too obvious?

(The back is retained by two big built-in plastic tabs that mate into a corresponding hole.)
Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Just remove the rubber mat from the compartment, and the screws are under that. While that's out, you can fish a wire into the glove box, get the adapter for the flashlight power, and you'll have 12v into the compartment as well.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Yes, much too obvious :-)

Since you've obviously been in there, what's the best source for switched 12V near there that's the least intrusive on the cars electical system. Preferably something I can just plug in to.

Thanks,

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
It is just held in by 2 small screws on its front edge, about 8" apart - a few inches in from either edge of the lid.
Maybe too obvious?

(The back is retained by two big built-in plastic tabs that mate into a corresponding hole.)
Old 04-03-2009, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbergman View Post
Preferably something I can just plug in to.
See:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=352312

Fuse slot no. 25 is a good one to use as discussed, either with an add-a-fuse type product, or just wedging a wire in if you want.

Avoids splicing into random wires, and can easily be restored to factory original when desired.

Also avoids messing around with the glovebox.

I just drilled a small hole through the side of the storage bin and have a wire with a standard male power plug sitting in the bin ready to plug into a radar detector or whatever.

You might prefer putting a female chassis mount jack on the side of the bin.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 (MT)
Thanks for asking the question as I've been chewing on doing the same thing after I get my phone docked.

If you're going to add power might I suggest BMW motorcycle style plugs. If changing the power plug on the cord is an option they are vastly superior to cig lighter based power plugs. And smaller...

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products....asp?Item=PLUG

I plan to add a covered power socket:

And put an angled plug on my GPS power wire to end up with a shortie version of this:

I have a Garmin SP2720 with external speaker that I have bean bag mounted on top with the wire running to the cig lighter. It works well but it isn't the cleanest setup and I have had it slide off onto the console when I had to "bolt" into traffic.

I haven't settled on a mounting solution but a Touratech mount would be a secure way to go. They are very utilitarian but I just might choose function over form. Still chewing on that one...

I had one on my K1200LT but I let it go with the bike.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3
Just to confirm for the slower set out there like me: you have to pull the center vent (heavily documented elsewhere) AND remove the two phillips heads mentioned above. A sharp tug upwards and outwards and there you have it.

Other posts say to pull the rubber tray out of the bin and then you'll see the screws: WRONG. You must pull the vent.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
If you haven't already seen it, (sorry if you have!) there is a good thread on a Garmin retrofit as you describe being done :
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=367070.