Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Is the Z4 M Dead?

Anybody know?

That would be terrible
Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
That's what BMW is saying. They've said such before and reversed themselves.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
That's what BMW is saying. They've said such before and reversed themselves.
Well, I hope that's the case this time around. I love the new styling and the integration of a folding hard top makes the car that much more usable.

But I would want a more hard edged model, tuned by M as a companion to my current bimmer.

I guess I could always get an X5/X6 M as a companion
Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
BMW moved all Z4 productions from Spartanburg, NC to Germany. That means they've completely torn down the production lines and are remaking them for the new Z4. Pretty safe bet that the Z4 M is no more.

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Old 04-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
That means they've completely torn down the production lines and are remaking them for the new Z4. Pretty safe bet that the Z4 M is no more.
That statement does not make any sense at all. If they don't make the ///M version it's because they don't feel that there is a business case for it not because the production line for it has disappeared. Believe me, if they feel they can make a profitable product they will gladly re-build the production line for it.

Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Leather
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown
Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 AM
///M 'n it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehostman View Post
That statement does not make any sense at all. If they don't make the ///M version it's because they don't feel that there is a business case for it not because the production line for it has disappeared. Believe me, if they feel they can make a profitable product they will gladly re-build the production line for it.
... if they thought they could make a profit off of it, they'd have kept the production line. Production lines are very, very, very expensive. You'll never see a car company move a production line, unless they think they can save an absolute boat load of money. If they tear down a production line, its because production of that model is over.

Think about it, besides materials and shipping, what other expenses do car manufacturers have? The production line is where everything literally comes together. They have to hire and train people, setup machines, get power to those machines, setup quality assurance testing, shipping in all the materials, and ship out the finished goods, and I'm sure much much more.

There's no way they'd simply re-create a production line for an older model car... its waaayyy too cost prohibitive.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 E90 M3
Quote:
... if they thought they could make a profit off of it, they'd have kept the production line. Production lines are very, very, very expensive. You'll never see a car company move a production line, unless they think they can save an absolute boat load of money. If they tear down a production line, its because production of that model is over.

Think about it, besides materials and shipping, what other expenses do car manufacturers have? The production line is where everything literally comes together. They have to hire and train people, setup machines, get power to those machines, setup quality assurance testing, shipping in all the materials, and ship out the finished goods, and I'm sure much much more.

There's no way they'd simply re-create a production line for an older model car... its waaayyy too cost prohibitive.
I understand the economics of a production line but the Spartanburg plant has been retooled for the X3, X5, and X6 vehicles (next gen for the X3). The production line for the E89 Z4 is now in Regensburg, Germany. With the old Z4 line, ///M and base Z4s were built on the same assembly line so if BMW sees a market for the ///M version of the Z4 it will be minimal cost to add the ///M capability to the Regensburg production line. Did you really think that I meant that BMW would reopen the Spartanburg line for the ///M Z4?

Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Leather
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown
Old 04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:

The thread is about a NEW ///M version of the NEW Z4. No one is talking about reviving an old ///M. They moved Z4 production because they're moving the next generation X3 to Spartanburg, because they want to produce it in higher volumes and its primary market is the U.S.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-08-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0Si
If the past has anything to say then about 3 years down the road a new MZ4 will show up with a version of the M3's V8...priced somewhere in the 60k range to start. There's been plenty of talk about it already having enough room under the hood for the 8 to fit and I'm sure BMW designed it that way just in case they change their minds.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: Mcoupe on order
The review of the new Z4 in this month's Winding Road on line magazine states that a Z4 M will be coming and they state that they were told this by BMW personnel. Time will tell. If it happens, It will probably push 80K and cost at least as much as the M3 convertible.
My Z4M coupe was and is a steal at 52K new. Think I'll just keep driving it....
Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 coupe
That would be great news if true. I wonder if they mean by 2011 the 2011 model year or calendar year.
It defies logic to me that BMW would make an M version of the X5 and X6 but not the Z4.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Htd Seats = 4-season vert

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR
I'll believe it when I see it.

The upcoming Z4 35i will be able to easily make 350 hp with a conservative tune.

If they made another Z4M it would have a ridiculous power/weight ratio.

I'm all for it, but if BMW keeps upping the power ante, they're eventually going to run out of room.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadc4s View Post
The review of the new Z4 in this month's Winding Road on line magazine states that a Z4 M will be coming and they state that they were told this by BMW personnel. Time will tell. If it happens, It will probably push 80K and cost at least as much as the M3 convertible.
My Z4M coupe was and is a steal at 52K new. Think I'll just keep driving it....
My sentiments too. The new car looks nice, although I still like the more aggressive angular look of my '07 M Roadster slightly better. The new interior is a step up though.

Mine after trunk money/negtiation was $48 new.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
They will have a Z4M. They constantly deny M models of a new bodystyle, and then it comes out anyway. The very existence of an X5/X6 M means that they're expanding the M brand in absurd directions. There is no way there will not be a new Z4 M.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidconti View Post
The very existence of an X5/X6 M means that they're expanding the M brand in absurd directions.

It's funny 'cuz it's true
Old 05-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
I have no idea about the prospect of an ///M version of the new Z4, but I got to see the new car at Bimmerfest yesterday. There was a blue one and a silver/bronzeish colored one there. They looked awesome! Very nice fit and finish. Super sexy lines. I predict the car will be a hit, even though it's going to be very expensive for such an impractical car. Trunk space is limited with the top down and getting into the trunk with the top down looks like it could be a little challenging, but wow, the car looks terrific!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
BMW moved all Z4 productions from Spartanburg, NC to Germany. That means they've completely torn down the production lines and are remaking them for the new Z4. Pretty safe bet that the Z4 M is no more.
I'm betting BMW rolls out the Z4 M for the 2011 model year...

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 AM
///M 'n it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
I'm betting BMW rolls out the Z4 M for the 2011 model year...

- Mike
I think it will more likely be 2012, but agreed its coming.

I was only implying that the old Z4M is gone (as in no more production).

Old 06-18-2009, 05:21 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakked View Post

If they made another Z4M it would have a ridiculous power/weight ratio.
Sounds scary.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
No Z4M but we are going to be treated to an X5M and X6M, what is wrong with this picture.
I would love to know who came up with that brain child Hmm.....

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 03 M5; 97 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
No Z4M but we are going to be treated to an X5M and X6M, what is wrong with this picture.
I would love to know who came up with that brain child Hmm.....
Bean counters. They sell far more SAV's than they do Z cars, so if you make a ton more money on M cars, why not make them for the models you sell a lot of.... SAVs.

If they sold 30K old style Z4 M's we wouldn't be having this discussion. There WOULD be a new Z4M.

"Control, Vision, Determination" These are the three fundamental components of the new generation race car driver!! SPEED is a by-product! -Memphis Raines
Old 06-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
True, but I wonder how large the market for an X6M is. Especially with the poor X6 sales.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Htd Seats = 4-season vert

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidconti View Post
True, but I wonder how large the market for an X6M is. Especially with the poor X6 sales.
Not very big. You'll get all the people who were looking at the G55 AMG, or the Cayenne Turbo/S... because we all know how fast those things fly off the lot.

Well, I guess they do once you plant your right foot into the floor
Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
I've wondered this myself...If so, then will there be a next generation BMW Z5?

-------------------
My two favorite accessories:
BMW Z4 Windscreen / Windblocker
BMW Z4 Shift Knobs
Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Mercedes SLK 350
and if so, when do you think it will come out? I wonder if this newly revised Z4 will be around for the same amount of time as the last model. I would LOVE to see a Z4 M hard top in this current styling with a V8.

2012 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 with Premium 1 package, Sport Package and Multi Media Package