Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-03-2009, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan '08
why are so many so afraid of the hpfp problem?

my 335, about 4000 miles in, ran into the hpfp problem
(long crank when attempting to start, service engine light came on after car started)

considering its a $50k car...
i was quiet upset, ready to walk into my dealership and start screaming at someone.
then, call BMW NA, and scream at them as well.
then, maybe get an attorney.

BUT, i figured i would start with the dealership, be nice and give them a chance to make it right. so, i described my long cranking problem over the phone, set up an appointment and drove over the next evening.

dropped the car off, got a free loaner.
next day, they call me and inform me that the hpfp has been replaced.
picked up my car that evening.

it runs and sounds like brand new.
ahhh, hearing that low rumble is a soothing sound
moreover, my loaner was a 328 and now i know why i paid about $6k more for the 335

my experience was totally painless...granted if i had any out-of-pocket costs, i would indeed be upset...but it was $0

my question to some of you...why so much concern about the fuel pump since it has a 4 year warranty to start with...and now...it has a 10 year warranty?
have other people had a totally different experience with their hpfp issues?
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe 6sp
My situation is exactly like yours and fixed in Nov 2008. However, they updated the software according to the paper work. My hpfp problem went away but now I have turbo lag...

I know this because I often asked myself why I heard metalic noise before, and now I don't. Time to bring her back in again...
Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Advocate de diabolo

Mein Auto: 330xi '04, X5 35d '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouvlfe View Post
my question to some of you...why so much concern about the fuel pump since it has a 4 year warranty to start with...and now...it has a 10 year warranty?
I think you have to look back to when the '07's came out...and there were long lines for the hpfp, and they were all out of supply due to design issues. People who got rid of their 335i's did so due to their automobiles being in the shop for months. Now, it is much easier to get a hpfp.

But picture if you are in an emergency and it dies on you. You are SOOL. It would be a good idea for you to check out previous posts on the issue a couple years ago through the search function to get a real idea about how much grief it caused people here. I still wouldn't touch an '07 or '08 335i, but the extended 10 year warranty is definitely a good thing. There is a definite lubrication problem with the HPFP that the diesels will never have.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Driving like I stole it.

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Cabriolet 6MT
Quote:
moreover, my loaner was a 328 and now i know why i paid about $6k more for the 335
Ha ha! I had the exact same experience. It wasn't terrible, and five years ago would have been the best car I had ever driven, but now they seem just ... a little less awesome.

"You know you're having fun when your tires melt."
-Shocktopus, after a day of autocrossing in August
Old 04-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ximd View Post
There is a definite lubrication problem with the HPFP that the diesels will never have.
That sure is an optimistic position.... How do you know that the diesels will 'never' have the problem? A wee bit of water in the fuel....
Old 04-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktopus View Post
Ha ha! I had the exact same experience. It wasn't terrible, and five years ago would have been the best car I had ever driven, but now they seem just ... a little less awesome.
Amazing what a twin turbo N54 engine will do for advancing the state of the art....
Old 04-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Advocate de diabolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
That sure is an optimistic position.... How do you know that the diesels will 'never' have the problem? A wee bit of water in the fuel....
Diesel fuel automatically lubricates the hpfp, while unleaded gasoline does the opposite.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Diesel fuel automatically lubricates the hpfp, while unleaded gasoline does the opposite.
Doesn't that presume the HPFP problems are solely due to lubrication issues? I haven't heard that it is due to a lack of lubrication. This is just a guess on my part, but since Europe doesn't seem to have the HPFP problem as much as we do (and we put ethanol in our gas; they don't), the presence of water seems to be more of a causative factor.... It sure would be nice to have a definitive statement from BMW about the HPFP problem....
Old 04-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335 / 2014 X-3
10 Year Warranty?

I missed something. Is there a change to the warranty on the hpfp?

2008 E-93 335i Convertible (ED) (Keeper)

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 04-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Montego Blue 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarino View Post
I missed something. Is there a change to the warranty on the hpfp?
Stevarino, the warranty on the hpfp has been extended 10 years, as discussed here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=355276

I think we're still waiting on some documentation associated with it. I'm sure it'll be posted here by a helpful member, eventually.

As you can imagine, for those of who want to keep our cars for a while, this has relieved a lot of our concern over the fuel pumps.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
And its annoying because you'd think that after this many years of the problem they could correct it from the factory. And as mentioned, if your car goes into limp mode and you are somewhere far away and at night for instance you're in trouble. Mine started going out when I was 45min away from home at 11pm on the highway. Thankfully I made it to the dealer the next day. And incidentally, when I had mine fixed they had to order the part and I think it took 4-5 days.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
As you can imagine, for those of who want to keep our cars for a while, this has relieved a lot of our concern over the fuel pumps.
For the moment, the warranty extension only applies to 2007 and 2008 MY N54 production, so owners of newer cars are still in a bit of uncertainty, as the HPFP issue does not seem to have gone away on the newer cars. Lower level of occurrence, but not gone away....
Old 04-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535 XDrive
Quote:
If you wind up stranded somewhere you don't want to be when the fuel pump goes, you will understand the concern!!! (you didn't serious ask what the concern was did you?)
Old 04-04-2009, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan '08
i guess i got lucky in a way...i took the car in to get the hpfp replaced as soon as i saw symptoms of the problem. i never ignore warning signs (i swear half the cars out there are running with some kind of warning sign lit up)

maybe if the car had died without any symptoms and left me stranded, i would be angry
Old 04-04-2009, 05:37 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
my 335, about 4000 miles in, ran into the hpfp problem
(long crank when attempting to start, service engine light came on after car started)

considering its a $50k car...
i was quiet upset, ready to walk into my dealership and start screaming at someone.
then, call BMW NA, and scream at them as well.
then, maybe get an attorney.

BUT, i figured i would start with the dealership, be nice and give them a chance to make it right. so, i described my long cranking problem over the phone, set up an appointment and drove over the next evening.

dropped the car off, got a free loaner.
next day, they call me and inform me that the hpfp has been replaced.
picked up my car that evening.

it runs and sounds like brand new.
ahhh, hearing that low rumble is a soothing sound

my experience was totally painless...granted if i had any out-of-pocket costs, i would indeed be upset...but it was $0

So it's a 50K car, does that mean nothing ever goes wrong with it? Were you quiet or upset? It's not clear. Glad everything worked out. Generally, BMW tries to make it right.

Last edited by ProRail; 04-04-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
So it's a 50K car, does that mean nothing ever goes wrong with it? Were you quiet or upset? It's not clear. Glad everything worked out. Generally, BMW tries to make it right.
The simple answer is inconvenience. Nobody wants to deal with a known issue on an expensive car when you think they've had enough time to resolve it. Having said that, I'm anxiously waiting for my '06 e90 330i lease to be up in June so I can replace it with a 335i. I understand why some people would be put off by the hpfp issue, but I'm not letting it get between me and a new 335i.
Blacklines | M-Sport Wheel, Shifter & E-brake | HO 50 Tint | Rogue Engineering SSK | CDV Removal

Old 04-04-2009, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Exclamation HPFP warranty

It's good that they increase hpfp warranty to 10 years, but even without it, in California (at least in California), the HPFP, turbocharger, exhaust, DME and many other emission related parts are covered by CA emissions warranty 7 years or 70K miles. Moreover, if they fail between 7 and 8 years, they are still covered under federal law. That's what the warranty booklet says. Read it
Old 04-04-2009, 07:11 PM

What happens to a 2009 MY car with an N54 engine that has the HPFP go on holiday after 8 years? Sounds like an argument for an extended warranty other than CPO....
Old 04-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: '09 335i
HPFP was why I leased

I've always bought my cars but decided to lease this one because I wanted the '09 335 but was scared of the prospect of owning a 50,000 mile car with the HPFP issue lurking (that and I can't keep a car for more than 3 years)...I guess I could have just talked myself into buying an M3 instead to avoid the issue??
Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Advocate de diabolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Doesn't that presume the HPFP problems are solely due to lubrication issues? I haven't heard that it is due to a lack of lubrication. This is just a guess on my part, but since Europe doesn't seem to have the HPFP problem as much as we do (and we put ethanol in our gas; they don't), the presence of water seems to be more of a causative factor.... It sure would be nice to have a definitive statement from BMW about the HPFP problem....
Yeah, I wish we had the same gasoline as Europe, then there would be no problems. Our gas has ethanol as an additive, which dries out everything, as does all alcohol. BMW should have done more testing in the states with this gasoline, but c'est la vie. Germans get the good gas.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Advocate de diabolo

Quote:
i guess i got lucky in a way...i took the car in to get the hpfp replaced as soon as i saw symptoms of the problem. i never ignore warning signs (i swear half the cars out there are running with some kind of warning sign lit up)

maybe if the car had died without any symptoms and left me stranded, i would be angry
If I got called into the hospital in the middle of the night, and my car's hpfp was dead, I would be uber pissed as well.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB13 View Post
(that and I can't keep a car for more than 3 years)
Be honest, that's why you leased!
Blacklines | M-Sport Wheel, Shifter & E-brake | HO 50 Tint | Rogue Engineering SSK | CDV Removal

Old 04-04-2009, 11:11 PM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
Stevarino, the warranty on the hpfp has been extended 10 years, as discussed here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=355276

I think we're still waiting on some documentation associated with it. I'm sure it'll be posted here by a helpful member, eventually.

Not sure you should state this as "has been extended . . ." so far, no documentation has been added to the thread you cite, or any others AFAIK.

For now, that's a RUMOR.
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Boosted Bavarian

Mein Auto: '08 335Ci
Quote:
...Germans get the good gas.
That's the bratwurst and sauerkraut.

This HPFP issue reminds me of the automatic transmission (aka autotragic) problem with my last Acura.
The warranty was extended to 7 yr/100k miles due to a class action lawsuit.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I wish we had the same gasoline as Europe, then there would be no problems. Our gas has ethanol as an additive, which dries out everything, as does all alcohol. BMW should have done more testing in the states with this gasoline, but c'est la vie. Germans get the good gas.
Alcohol through its 'drying-out' property, can concentrate water to a point where it is not compressible. Which is my theory - the ethanol in the U.S. gas acts to concentrate water in the gas (you don't need much at the pressure involved in the HPFP), which in turn works havoc with the HPFP. It is just a theory, however, and I have no data to back it up.