Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Smile 4.4i oil weight and brand recommendation for max performance

I am looking for recommendations on oil weight and specific brands that have shown to improve engine performance and/or fuel economy (hopefully both) in the X5 with 4.4i engine.

I live in Central Florida, warm most months, very little or no cold weather operations.

My initial thought is Mobil 1 European Formula in 0W-40 weight, based on what I have read in other posts.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 04-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0
If you don't have cold weather, you don't need the 0 weight. If you are concerned about fuel economy, you wouldn't want to go heavier than the 30 weight recommended by BMW. Why not stay with the 5W-30 Castrol that BMW use?

Retired:
2003 X5 3.0 auto, Premium, Titanium Silver
2004 Z4 3.0 SMG, Sport, Premium, Maldives Blue
2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
Old 04-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
I generally agree with the prior post, assuming that you are not doing things like heavy towing in hot weather, in which case a higher viscosity synthetic might provide more thermal protection and be somewhat beneficial. These are not race cars, after all, where a small amount of HP lost to the increased internal friction of heavier oil might make some difference (in my relatively low HP vintage Formula Vee, the difference between a 30-weight race oil and a 10-50 MIGHT be 0.5 HP or so at max HP--150 more RPM on the back straight at Road America, if I am in a draft). All of this is really de minimus for road use with an X5, and I can't imagine that you would ever notice any difference except possibly in mileage. I presume that friction loss due to heavier oil might negatively impact gas mileage somewhat. CAFE politics was probably a factor in BMW's recommendation of 5-30. My focus with oil choice for the X5 is engine protection on start-up and during high-temp stress like towing a trailer. There may be something to gain in "peformance" in chipping or air intake/ exhaust mods, but I am not sure, and be aware of possible warranty breach issues.