Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-09-2016, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
OEM sensors vs. Generic (Chinese)

Just a curious question I wanted to throw out there to see what y'all think. Is there really a difference between OEM sensors and eBay chinese sensors such as crank or cam for example? I've seen some debate on this where some discuss that some OEM parts are actually made in China just like the cheap eBay stuff, except they upscale the Chinese ones to make a killing. Whats everyone's opinion, has anyone had issues with cheap sensors?

Outer space.
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2016, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett3ch View Post
Just a curious question I wanted to throw out there to see what y'all think. Is there really a difference between OEM sensors and eBay chinese sensors such as crank or cam for example? I've seen some debate on this where some discuss that some OEM parts are actually made in China just like the cheap eBay stuff, except they upscale the Chinese ones to make a killing. Whats everyone's opinion, has anyone had issues with cheap sensors?

Outer space.
There's a difference from an OE supplier building parts in China over a unknown Chinese company building parts in China for BMW's. It's all about quality control.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
I believe the manufacturer makes a significant difference WRT all replacement parts. I believe the OEM O2 supplier is Bosch. I replaced my pre-cat O2 sensors at 105K with Bosch. 20K later, one failed (threw code). I have my originals back in and all is good. This is the second time (first was with a Honda) I have had issues with Bosch O2 sensors purchased in the aftermarket from legit sources. Bottom line, the quality of the part matters regarding issues like reliability.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
There's a difference from an OE supplier building parts in China over a unknown Chinese company building parts in China for BMW's. It's all about quality control.
But more specifically, it's about the quality specifications of the company that is going to put its name on the part, like an OE supplier or a car company. They all have different requirements, like "no more than 2 rejects per 100" vs. "no more than 7 rejects per 100." With an E-bay part from an unknown company name, you really raise your risk of getting a bad part. If you source from the car company or at least a brand that is well-recognized and respected, based on a history, then at least you have a better chance of getting a good part. Even if they all come from the same factory.
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav

Last edited by JKRIT; 12-09-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:29 AM
BMW forever

Mein Auto: 1996 528i 1999 MB C240
I had the rear ABS wheel sensor replaced with a chines one, couldnot find an OEM part, but for 20$ i tried it. One year later and all is good. Not all china made parts are equal !
Old 12-09-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRIT View Post
But more specifically, it's about the quality specifications of the company that is going to put its name on the part, like an OE supplier or a car company. They all have different requirements, like "no more than 2 rejects per 100" vs. "no more than 7 rejects per 100." With an E-bay part from an unknown company name, you really raise your risk of getting a bad part. If you source from the car company or at least a brand that is well-recognized and respected, based on a history, then at least you have a better chance of getting a good part. Even if they all come from the same factory.
Totally agree with you. BEHR is perfect example. For the E53 X5 the aux fan's they were making some years ago were catching fire. TYC (cheaper company) had no issues but was not recognized as a OE supplier. So people waited for BEHR to fix their issue or just went OEM.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjalloul11 View Post
I had the rear ABS wheel sensor replaced with a chines one, couldnot find an OEM part, but for 20$ i tried it. One year later and all is good. Not all china made parts are equal !
I sell both Chinese after market and OEM and honestly sometimes its hit or miss. We monitor all sales for comebacks and once something starts coming back more often, we block the sales for that item. Even with the OE/OES.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: '99 540iA
Have always heard here, when it comes to sensors, always oem.

I have had some experience with Chinese knives. Bought a ruff use knife from cheaper than dirt for $10. In tests to destruction it proved to be stronger than a $300 custom survival knife favored by some special forces people. Just because it's made in china does not mean it's junk. Just because it's made in Deutchland does not make it good.

Best I can figure is read and ask here what has worked and what has failed. The e39 has been around quite a while now and many here have tried about every brand of part out there and know a great deal about what is currently a good product.

Jim
Old 12-09-2016, 10:40 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm asking because I believe my cranksensor is bad, my car through a code for this so hopefully it is just that. Duralast brand at autozone wants $45 dollars for crank sensor so I'm thinking of taking the shot vs. EBay $10 or Oem$130 let's see..... I also have 2 eBay wheel speed sensors and they still work. I guess I've just been lucky so far..

Outer space.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett3ch View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm asking because I believe my cranksensor is bad, my car through a code for this so hopefully it is just that. Duralast brand at autozone wants $45 dollars for crank sensor so I'm thinking of taking the shot vs. EBay $10 or Oem$130 let's see..... I also have 2 eBay wheel speed sensors and they still work. I guess I've just been lucky so far..

Outer space.
Where are you located?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:05 AM
ALGhoul

Mein Auto: Bmw 525i 2002
No problem with China sensors except oxygen sensors and map sensors brand new and already shot
Old 12-09-2016, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Been 3 years on my chinese wheel speed sensors. Zero issues.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Where are you located?
Florida

Outer space.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540i6
Quote:
I sell both Chinese after market and OEM and honestly sometimes its hit or miss. We monitor all sales for comebacks and once something starts coming back more often, we block the sales for that item. Even with the OE/OES.

Last week I replaced my original PS pump with autozone Chinese $110 replacement. Cured low speed steering, but whined like a (insert fav non-PC adjective) housewife. I replaced with German LUK from FCP, all is good for first 50 miles.

Dave
03 540i6
95 993
Old 12-09-2016, 04:48 PM

OK guys figured I'd update, I changed the sensor, reset codes, car is back to normal. I installed the Duralast brand from autozone using a 5mm Allen. Let's see how it holds up, had to swap over the oring. I compared both of the sensors and both seem very similar in construction, size and shape.

Outer space.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iAT
I always select OE parts for critical, long, and/or difficult jobs because you don't want to do them again or suffer the consequences, like Sachs fan clutch and Genuine fan. Except in cases where aftermarket parts work better, like FKM VANOS o-rings. I try OEM parts for non-critical, easy jobs, like a window regulator or gas cap.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:25 PM
ALGhoul

Mein Auto: Bmw 525i 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540nj View Post
Last week I replaced my original PS pump with autozone Chinese $110 replacement. Cured low speed steering, but whined like a (insert fav non-PC adjective) housewife. I replaced with German LUK from FCP, all is good for first 50 miles.

Dave
03 540i6
95 993
No no no
Big mistake
Power steering pump get new or used oem with warrenty
No China otherwise
You get whining noise and leakage within few months if it not days
Old 12-12-2016, 01:09 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
This is such a bad conversation.. I could beat you to death with the parts that you guys have thrown at cars over the years of my stay here

I stopped caring about what you guys put in your cars...

There is oil brand conversation, there's part manufacture brand conversation, there's suspension brand parts argument

@ this point i just watch you guys throw your money away.. out of sight out of mind,

FOr the record the 18$ amazon cam sensor in the 328is is doing great for about the 2nd year now.. and the 20 someing dollar one in the 540 is also doing great

15486372<-----

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search