Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 06 BMW X3 3.0
New member here 06 BMW X3 3.0 Base

I am new to the forums and wanted to see if i could get some help. Purchased this car from my father for my wife. Its got pretty basic everything minus a cd changer.

First things first. Any way I can get HID's in the stock halogen assembly. If so is the light just all over the place or what. Has anybody tried replacing the headlight assembly with the genuine assembly Xenon Headlights.

Next thing is what is the best way of being able to hook up my iphone or any other auxilary device to the stereo.

My car has the bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel but it doesnt work. Is there an aftermarket or do i only use the one from BMW? And what is the cost?

Are there any mods that will benefit us with this car. Make it run smoother, faster, efficient, etc. Thanks.

Well found a thread with a bunch of threads about the cost of putting projectors instead of halgoen housing. So i guess thats out of the question.

Last edited by albert001; 11-05-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: researched....
Ads by Google
Old 11-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
As far as adding Xeons it can be done but I don't know if it's worth the trouble or expense. You're better off getting OEM Xeons with the car.

You can order an aux input to connect to the stereo and mount the 3.5 jack in the glovebox (or ashtray or console)
http://bmw.dealerfit.com/store/bmw-x...1389_13857.php

Some folks have connected the Dice iPod adapter to the CD changer wiring (front or rear) with varying degrees of success.
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...d-Kit-by-DICE/

It sounds like you're prewired for bluetooth. You can check the overhead to see if you have a mic. You can get a generation 13 ULF (the latest) from EBay (search BMW ULF). A pairing button from Bimmernav and mic if you need one. You don't need the snap-in. Installation instructions:
http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_X3_Blue...tructions.html
Old 11-06-2009, 05:05 PM

thanks legalfee.

I found the info for the xenons.

The aux input sounds like a much easier and cheaper solution than getting DICE.

And i found a couple items for the bluetooth on ebay but the pricing is about the same as buying from the website you gave. I was comparing the part numbers to the compatability chart. Does any bluetooth ULF work with the X3?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 PM

Yes any should work. I would stay away from the early generations though. Of course generation 13 is the best. Here's a link to part numbers and generations:
http://www.bimmernav.com/ulfchanges.html
Old 11-07-2009, 05:31 AM

You should be aware the BMW ULF has voice recogition also:
www.e38.org/BMW-03_00-Voice-Control-en.pdf
Old 12-06-2009, 03:03 PM

Ok I finAlly recieved the aux input that goes in the glovebox. However the instructions it came with say that it's made for the x5 or the 5 series. Was I sent the wrong unit or does this unit still work. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert001 View Post
Was I sent the wrong unit or does this unit still work.
The instruction sheet covers those models (Sep. or Oct. of 2002 - on) as well as the E83 (all years) with separate sections where there are small differences.

You more than likely have been sent the right part.

As usual, part nos. might change over time, but the only important distinction that I am aware of was Nav. or no-Nav.

Although the instructions imply that you will install it in the glove box, the best plan is to give location some serious thought beforehand.
(That part of the job takes more than the quoted 0.5 hrs.)
Very much a personal preference depending on what devices you will be using, how accessible you need it, how inconspicuous you want it, etc.
Among the possible locations (dash storage bin, front ashtray, lower switch panel, center console, glovebox, rear ashtray),
the last 2 (that BMW seems to favor) receive the fewest votes in this forum.