BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Aux Input & iPod Together?

12K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  wbrproductions 
#1 ·
I have had the dealer install my iPod Interface Connector for my 06 BMW X3, which I use and love everyday. But I seem to come at times requiring the use of just a standard Aux Connector.

I was going to purchase the Aux connector and install it, but I wanted to know if it is possible to have the Aux connector and iPod Interface installed simultaneously, allowing me to toggle between them.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I do not think this is possible. I suspect that both the Aux connecter and I Pod connecter use the same plug in on the back of the BMW head unit. So its either one or the other.... If I am wrong please someone correct me!

#4 ·
A quick call to service will give you the best answer. I have the factory aux and DICE iPod adapter installed. I can use either one. The aftermarket iPod adapters use the cd changer input. I think that you can have both the BMW iPod interface AND the aux input, but check with the dealer to be sure.

#5 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to install the AUX Connector along side with the iPod Connector in my Car, both of which are the factory connectors from BMW.

The iPod disables Sirius and the 6 Disc Changer; bu the Aux disables nothing. I had to remove the black connector from the back of the radio move the yellow and black power cables into my new connector as per BMW's instructions.

Both operate 100%, the only issue I have is I will need a ground loop isolator as there is a definite whine on the AUX linked to my gas pedal.

Just wanted to let everyone know that both BMW Factory connectors can be installed on the Business CD Radio in my 06 BMW X3.

#7 ·
I am using both the official BMW iPod and BMW Aux Cables to interface with my radio. I have copied and pasted the part numbers form BMW's parts website.

iPod® Interface Adapter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Integrates the Apple iPod into the BMW audio system and allows you to control and listen to your iPod music collection by using the vehicle's radio and steering wheel controls. Adapter also charges the iPod's internal battery when the vehicle is running. (PN: 65 11 0 035 961) (Price:$185.00)

Auxiliary Audio Input

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you can connect virtually any audio device to your factory radio. Use an MP3 Player, portable CD, cassette player and more by plugging the headphone output of your device directly into your BMW's audio system. The audio connection is mounted securely in the glovebox of your X3 and has a 3.5mm stereo connector. Audio from the auxiliary input is selected using the "mode" button on your radio. (PN: 82 11 0 149 390) (Price:$39.95)

#16 ·
Hopefully you can help me with a problem. I have a Business head unit the CD changer factory installed. I tried to install the Aux input (the second one described below) it seems to use the same back plug as the CD changer. I was able to plug it into the other plug to the left of that by removing a tab on the plug, but it doesn't work (maybe the wiring is reversed?). Either way, if I was to reroute the yellow and black cables as you did, and re-plug in the CD changer wire, would I lose power to the CD changer? I hope this is making sense... maybe I need to takes some pics... Any help would be great. I want to use both the CD changer and the aux in cable. Thanks!

#8 ·
How does the ipod adapter integrate with the business cd? Curious how broad the functionality is - can you access playlists or genres, or just scroll through all songs alphabetically?

I just purchased a 2006 X3 with business CD and no additional items. It is prewired for CD Changer and or satellite radio in the rear drivers side cargo area (a number of connectors are in a velcro protective wrap, including what looks like some optic connectors... maybe for nav??? I am currently considering options. Would like to have sat radio + ipod. Would anyone be able to recommend a solution? BMW or 3rd-party?

#10 ·
A loaner I had had the ipod adapter installed. If you simply unplug the cable, you have the AUX port to use. Very simple.

I was disappointed that the ipod adapter did not charge my iphone, so I will not purchase that option for my X3.

#18 ·
Howdy -

Not sure if this thread is still being tracked, but will give it a shot. I recently acquired a 2004 X3 from a non-BMW dealer, so they had no information about how the car was equipped, etc. It does have an aftermarket Sirius radio adapter (wired) with an Ipod interface cable attached as well, with all of this installed in the dashboard cubbyhole.

I appear to have a Dice adapter installed. I have a valid subscription to Sirius and a borrowed Ipod that attaches to the cable properly (and charges).

The problem: I can't seem to engage the CD changer mode, either to play the iPod or the Sirius radio. No power to the Dice adapter itself? Is there some kind of reset mode for the radio to turn on the CD Changer mode?

Apologies if these questions have been answered, just haven't found the answers yet... :confused:

Thanks,
wbrproductions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.