Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
DIY - How to replace ignition key lock cylinder

I've written this DIY for replacing the ignition key lock cylinder. See the attached pdf.
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 PM
BMW CCCA since 1986

Mein Auto: E34, E39, E46
Excellent - Thanks!

Just what I needed. Key wouldn't turn after insertion.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530 Sport
Was a little tricky getting the old one out, but this DIY was right on the money. (course I appear to have forgetten to put the O-ring back on....ugh !!)
Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Smile switch lock cylinder

Thank you scott0356 for taking the time to help show how to do the job of removing and replacement of the cylinder.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Convertible
Thank you. This sounds right to me. I need to check a couple of other things but this must be it. The cylinder spins sometimes before engaging and allowing me to start the car. What happened is I turned the key to the off position and pulled it out, like normal, but the engine kept running. When I put the key back it, I could not turn it either way. I had to stall the engine to turn it off. Now, since the key won't turn, I can't start it. Its also nice to know that you can get the switch made to match your existing keys. I suspect I should get new keys too as mine look a bit worn. I wonder if minute metal shaving, dust, from my key have worn down the switch over the years ... probably. Thanks again. This was awesome!!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 01 530i SP
I have this issue (sometimes need to jingle the key in ignition to start) as well as requires jiggling at the door to lock - turning forward to unlock works normal but it will NOT turn backwards to lock as easy...sometimes takes a few mins to lock! My son got smart and started locking from trunk and I followed and NOW after a couple of times of doing that, the trunk appears to no longer lock the vehicle!! 1997 528i w/a badly worn key fob but I noticed playing around w/the buttons that w/key turned forward and pressing one of the buttons, all the windows and sunroof open!! Don't know the sequence to get the fob to close everything back up. So that tells me the fob is partially alive and I just need?? A new cosmetic fob case and the guts are fine?? With a new fob and my old guts, I'll be able to use the lock/unlock buttons??

the first issue is do I need an ignition switch (from dealer) to eliminate the jingle to turn on car and will this fix the door locking issue? Or is the door locking a separate issue

The next issue is the key fob...do I just require a new case to switch out my old worn one??

thx. v/r -g
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 01 530i SP
Well I've ordered/received my ignition "switch" and decided to do another look thru before installing. I'm now questioning whether I need the key lock cylinder or the actual ignition switch?? I don't have the sporadic issues reported (sun-visor raises/lowers steering wheel etc) but do at times have to jingle key to get it to turn to starting position. I had searched and read concluding the switch was the culprit but I'm not so sure now. Any suggestions?? Cylinder or Switch?? Or, just change the switch now since I have already and do the same procedure (slight diff) to change the cylinder....
Old 07-04-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Bmw 540i
Question ignition switch

how much did the new switch cost and do you now have two keys 1 to start and 1 to lock and open doors?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Dealer price was $80 for the key and $120 for the switch. I haven't picked them up yet.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 PM

They generate a new key using your VIN number so the key should work for your car, as is.