Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
My Review of the New 750i.

Today I went to the local dealership to peruse the new 7 for myself. After hearing good and bad things about it, I wanted to see what I could nitpick about it.

I pulled up to the dealer and out front sit two '09 7-Series. One was a moderately optioned Jet black/Black 750i with Sunshades, Premium Sound, Luxury Seating Package, Active Roll Stabilization, and 19" wheels, the other a Jet Black/Oyster 750Li with Luxury Seating and nearly every option but without the Active Roll Stabilization. My experience with the 535i immediately told me that the ARS really makes a HUGE difference in the corners, and I was right, more on that later.

I go inside and find another Black/Oyster 750Li, but this one has every option imaginable, and even boasts a $110k sticker (!). I was surprised to find out that it was selling only for sticker when they can't even keep them in stock.

I sit in every seat in the car, adjusting seating positions in the luscious Nappa seats that caress every part of your body; I admire the craftsmanship of the dashboard, which, too, is wrapped in Nappa leather (which I find out later is a $1200 but I highly recommend due to the fact that the standard dash has cheap vinyl covering it); the black Ceramic controls ($650) make the iDrive and all A/C knobs feel infinitely more quality than the standard Aluminum ones. I play with the new iDrive which is very simple to use and intuitive. I'm young and have had the original iDrive interface since '02 so I understand all the in's and out's of the system.

I asked the salesman if he had any Individual Compositions on the ground or any other colors besides Black. He informs me that they have a Mineral White one that just came in but is already sold in the back. I make my way back there and find that it has the Saddle and Black Nappa Leather on it, a very tasteful combination and highly recommended by myself. The Mineral White looks very metallic in person, almost pearlescent like on the Escalade, but with less gold mixed in. It has more depth than the Alpine White most of us are acquainted to.

Here's the good part: the test drive-

I ask a Salesman for the keys to the 750i I spoke of earlier and he hops in the driver seat to drive it off the lot (company policy, unfortunately). We switch positions in an abandon parking lot and I get comfortable in the highly bolstered seats. The 16-Way seats do not feel as supportive as my current 20-Way seats I have in my 745i but do the job well. Everything feels perfect, the ergonomics are made so everything is accessible through the press of a button, much simpler than the previous E65/66.

I drive off the lot and start playing with the "Sport/Comfort" switches next to the shifter. You start off in comfort, which lets the car float and sway a little bit, but nothing unBMW-like, but I press the button up one for Sport Mode, which you can choose to stiff the chassis or just the drivetrain, but I have it set for both. No one is on the 6-Lane highway I was on, so I throw the car back and forth in my lane doing about 50, it maintains composure immaculately. I flip it into Normal mode and do the same thing and it instantly feels like a larger car, with pitching and rolling. Just for kicks, I flip it down again into Comfort mode, the softest mode, and throw it back and forth. It almost felt dangerous doing the swerving on the 19" Performance Run-Flats so I kick it back into Sport mode, but this time, I go one more step, into Sport-Plus, which turns on DTC which lets the car get a little loose in the back end, a favorable prospect.

I come into the interstate on-ramp that makes a gradual 90-degree turn and goose the throttle, which pleasantly kicks the rear end out a little bit. Throttle response is almost instantaneous with only a slight hint of turbo lag. We get up to cruising speed in a heart beat and large smiles on my passengers' faces. Shifting is crisp and concise in Sport-Plus. On the bumpy interstate the Sport-Plus handles the surface changes like a champion, with only a slight tingle in the steering wheel and a confident "thud thud" heard only through the tires.

A disappointment, though, was the lack of engine noise. In the 745, when it is opened up, you know the car has a powerful V8 engine in it, but in the 750, its very subdued and almost too tame sounding in the cabin. What's even more disappointing is the lack of turbo noise. With a large diesel truck as my daily driver, I am always pleased by the turbo whine I hear at mid to high RPMs, but I digress.

With the radio off and car in comfort mode, I feel like I could drive for days on end. The car is quiet without a hint of wind noise yet does not have the secluded-ness found in a Benz or Lexus.

The Premium Sound Package is not as impressive as in the previous generation 7 but is quite good for a factory stereo. It has plenty of crisp bass and mids but lacks the satisfying highs that are nice when listening to Jazz. All 7's come standard with HD radio.

As I hop back off the interstate I switch it back to Sport-Plus and head back for the dealership. At the corner the dealer is on, I had a green light and a clear road so I came in wide in 1st gear and kept the throttle nailed to see if the electronic nanny could control what an inexperienced driver could dish out, and it passed with flying colors, letting the rear wheels slip and maintaining control very well with little commotion. The car stayed almost flat through the apex.

The new 7 is a fantastic car, although more expensive, it is worlds better than the previous 7 and if one has the means, I highly recommend you pick on up.

Recommended options: Premium Sound, Luxury Seating Package, Active Roll Stablization, Convenience Package, Sunshades, Instrument Panel in Leather Finish, and Ceramic Controls.

Pros - World-class speed and handling, new bar for interior quality and design, cutting-edge technology.

Cons - Styling that isn't socially acceptable by all, dash that is cheap if you do not get leather finished option, few interior colors, run-flat tires, no spare (!), smaller trunk, and terrible wheel choices.

Last edited by BmW745On19's; 04-11-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Munchen bound

Mein Auto: Ferrari
Agree; poor wheels, not a great sound system, no engine sound, seats are not quite as good as the oldies, and did I say the wheel choices suck.

Still ordering, though...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li Individual ED
Great Review - Much Appreciated!

I hate dealers that include a salesman in the test drive, but thats just me. Good info, as I forgot to go into Sport+ mode on my test drive.

I placed an order for an LI for ED as well.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Ich liebe mein BMW

Mein Auto: 08 E90
Wow, thanks for sharing!
-2002 M5 LeMans Blue on Black. Rear Sunshade, M-Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon, PDC
-2004 M3 Convertible. Silver Grey on Grey. SMG, Nav, HK Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon
-2007 335i Jet Black, Terra Leather, Premium, Sport, Step, Paddle, Nav, Comfort Access
-2006 525i Black Sapphire Metallic with Beige, Manual, Nav, HUD, PDC, Xenon
-2002 325i Orient Blue Metallic, Beige interior, Manual, Sunroof
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745Li
The styling is a killer for me....l prefer the old 02 style....just me.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Go Gators

I too prefer the '02 style, as noted by my current car, but after driving the new F01, I have the itch to get one.

I'll probably pick one up used for cheap because for $110k you can get a Bentley and a nice Jaguar for the same price.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Looks exactly the same as the lexus LS. straight down to the muffler.

2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Go Gators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Looks exactly the same as the lexus LS. straight down to the muffler.

This has been beat to death, the LS looks like a BMW and the F01/02 looks like a BMW.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: Texas
[QUOTE=Kzang;4085878]Looks exactly the same as the lexus LS. straight down to the muffler.

What color is that?
Old 04-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's View Post
This has been beat to death, the LS looks like a BMW and the F01/02 looks like a BMW.
Damn straight.

Haven't read your review yet. Looks very thorough. Curious what about the styling don't y'all like? And, are you aware of the styling factors that are now imposed on EU automakers by new EU pedestrian safety rules?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **