Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Question 03 745i - Hood cable broke, how do I open hood?

Hello, I have an 03 745i and my hood cable snapped. The handle broke first, so i tried to pull the cable with a set of pliers, and as i pulled the cable it came out completely. Now I'm stuck with my hood closed. I'm trying to install my new springs and do my oil change but can't open the hood. Does anyone know where the cable is routes through? Is there a way to open the hood without the release cable? I appreciate any suggestions. Thank You.
Ads by Google
Old 04-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
You have to either use a coat hanger or have someone with small hands get to it.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 750Li
you can yank one of the grilles out (likely breaking the clips that hold in it) and that should give you sufficient access to get to the latch. Personally I'd take it to the dealer or a very good indy and let them get the hood open and replace the cable at the same time.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Question

i broke the drivers side grill in order to fit my hand threw. i see the lever that releases when you pull the hood cable but thats still locked in place. Where is the release latch that will allow me to actually pop the hood open? Is it above the lever? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
If you're kind of scrawny, like myself, and the hood pops up (like its ready for you to pull up on the handle) then you can shove your arm up through the bottom of the grill to reach the latch which is located on the bottom of the hood itself, where the emblem would be if it were on the reverse side.

Last edited by BmW745On19's; 04-12-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
Same thing happened to me. iI drove to the dealer and they couldent get it open on the spot. I had to set up an appt. once i fixed that 1 month later it broke again. this time it was the other cable. costs 80 bucks. try to get both cable replaced to save you the hastle. hope this helps
Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
mine is doing the same thing, absolutely nothing when I pull the release inside the car. I took the door sill/ footrest apart and the handle is connected to the cable. I've been trying for the past few hours to get the hood to release I took off the lower front grills and can get my hands up there no problem but I can only feel the secondary release. Anyone have pics of their latch? Then maybe I can go from there and know when I'm looking for. Thanks in advance
Old 07-10-2009, 04:43 PM
magastos2

Mein Auto: 745LI
Mine will not open last Monday and have taken to dealer. It cost me $180 to open the hood and tighten the cable. On top of that I replaced my battery which went dead Sunday. Called a Tow truck to jump start from the trunk. It fired right up and drove to dealer. AG Battery is $246 plus and programming with updated software is $300(labor). I went to pickup today (Friday). Checked everything before I leave the dealership lot. The steering switch is not working due to programming and the hood will not open due to cable again. So I have to leave my car for the weekend becuase the tech will have to download the program again and I told them to replace the cable which will cost me additional $50.00 for both cables. I have requested to change my loaner to a 4 doors instead of the 2 doors. We will see Monday how it will turns out. Another day in Paradise.

Last edited by magastos2; 07-10-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Same thing happened to me and at the time being I had the low coolant come on and my hood was stuck closed! it was a nightmare but got my fellow mechanic to do it all for cheap it was only like a cheap hood pin piece that needed to be replaced
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 PM

i just used keif instruction and fixed my hood cable. then i figure out more simple way to open the hood when the cable broken.because anyway u shoud replace the front and rear cable and the bracket, so i take remove the handle and air pannel off,then remove the bracket then remove the metal pin off the bracket now the metal pin slide down to the hole of the bracket and leave it there,now u pull the braket then the hood shood pop up. if this not work then go back use Keif instruction
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Glad it helped!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 AM

Thumbs up

yeah,it does help,thanks alot Keif,you are the man:thumbup
Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 AM

yeah,it does keif.thanks a million
Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Working the Issues

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li
Meo: BB

I have the same issue with my hood, I have a coolant leak and an oil leak that are worring me. Can you direct me to the Kief instruction. I have a Strut package on this puppy, and beating the grills is out of the question. I am battaling an airbag sensor issue that I had to go to an indy to get diagnosed, after spending $1,000 at the dealer. Thanks for you help in advance. BB
Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Remove the bottom panel under the fender and the one inside the wheel well. From there you have to reach inside with a coat hanger and pull the latch toward you. This should pop the hood and allow access. If you have to remove the bottle so you can have better access. Just had to do mine this week, had the dealer make an adjustment on the cable itself and tighten it up. No problems as of now.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM

You can also remove the panel behind the wheel well lining and reach up to grab the cable itself. Dislodge it from the fender, and then pull on the cable to pop the hood latches. This was the easiest for me.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 AM

Has anybody tried tighten the cable themselves? I was doing the cooling pipe repair this pasted weekend and I applied some gease to the latch componets . When I was working on the car. I didn't know the cable needs to be tighten. The gease did the trick for me.

///E65 745I///22" Asanti AF128///H&R springs/// 12" JL W7///

///700whp 00 EK///<-----To many mods///

Last edited by dannydos; 10-20-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Master Tinkerer

Hood cable failure point / how to open hood manually upon cable failure --> here.
Resulting search for "hood latch" --> here ...some of these may have some useful exchanges as well.

Danny: if you look through some of the pictures in the first link, you can see where to tighten the cables (for example, where the front cable meets the back cable along the driver's side of the engine compartment).

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 10-19-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Working the Issues

Wow Guys! I can not thank you enough. My local dealer does not impress me, and I was really worried about taking this to him. I drove the car for 13 hours, and had it up to 110 (not bragging, caught myself before jail). car would not start at the dealer said it was the fuel pump then battery ($1,000!). Wow they held it for 1 month each time. Still had issues. took the indy guy 1 hour! But even he was not sure about the hood latch.

Hey thanks so much.

Kief: Wow. Very clear. Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny648 View Post
Hello, I have an 03 745i and my hood cable snapped. The handle broke first, so i tried to pull the cable with a set of pliers, and as i pulled the cable it came out completely. Now I'm stuck with my hood closed. I'm trying to install my new springs and do my oil change but can't open the hood. Does anyone know where the cable is routes through? Is there a way to open the hood without the release cable? I appreciate any suggestions. Thank You.
I've heard many problems with the seven series but this even with cheap ass cars this wouldn't never happen how the hell did BMW
get this together.It's like the car is meant to do such things after a few miles. We need some guys from Mercedes to get them to work for BMW those guys needs some helps in a few departments and since Merry is doing most of their developing in house ,BMW works with some other company's for major parts in their cars.Like they are going to build cheap FWD cars for the lower segment by working together with Peugeot and Citroen they say it's not for the 5 6 are 7 series for the smal car's what's happened with building premium cars,driving BMW isn't gonna be special any more in the futurei'll buy one more seven series next year the F01 series then it's up to the Mercedes Sclass because they gonna mess up the 7 series in the future http://www.mercedes-benz.nl/content/...221.flash.html

Last edited by Lastcombo; 10-20-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
Hood cable failure point / how to open hood manually upon cable failure --> here.
Resulting search for "hood latch" --> here ...some of these may have some useful exchanges as well.

Danny: if you look through some of the pictures in the first link, you can see where to tighten the cables (for example, where the front cable meets the back cable along the driver's side of the engine compartment).
Since Keif is the guy who has taken a whole 7 series engine apart and put it back in together to fix his problems without going to the dealer i would take his advise immediatly and very serious,he can make some serious Bucks with his knowledge start your own garage expertising only on the BMW seven series Keif i'll recommend you i live in holland but that doen't matter
Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Master Tinkerer

I'm considering some similar things, maybe building up messed up ones and selling them, maybe a small garage, dunno yet, but I think it would be fun.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
Has anyone popped the hood on newer 7 series (750i or 750Li)? You can not access the locks from under the wheel. There is more that just the wiper resevoir in place. I tried both sides.

2007 BMW 750Li w/ Comfort Access and Soft Close Doors

Luxury Seating Package w/massaging driver seat, ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel and rear sunshades

Premium Sound Package w/ 13-speaker Logic 7 sound system with an in-dash CD changer

Staggered Chrome Rims/Michelin Pilots & BMW Centers
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Working the Issues

Go to link #18 from "Keif" above:
Then click on the links
Then click on the "These pictures" links
Then click on the "These videos and pictures" links
Then click on the "These pictures" links again.
Keif is the Man! These pics are detailed and very specific.

This is where I started.
You will have to remove the drivers side well cover
You will have to remove the wiper reservoir

But if you have frozen hood latches like me pulling the cables will only destroy them because the latches are frozen.

Frozen hood latches:
I had to reach up into the top where the hood latch connects to the cable, and then use a crow bar (the straight end) to push on the latch where the cable connects. I was real hesitant to put pressure on this latch and my Bimmer sat up on in front of my house for a week, before a vandal (car got scratched) convinced me to try harder.

It finally opened but then I had problems closing it. I took it to my mechanic and he said they were shot and had to be replaced along with the cables. I broke the cable trying to pull on them.
Sorry I do not have details like "Keif".
Be careful and Good luck BossBimmer.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Master Tinkerer

Any indication of what was causing the latches to seize? Rust? Gunk from road?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7