Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
325 E36 rattles

I realised there are some rattles occuring in the engine compartment of my 92 325i and i decided to check it out. Popped the hood and the rattle was rather evident from sound and slight vibrations. My knowledge on cars is as good as nil and i dont know whats going on and what i can do to get it fixed without paying an arm and a leg. From the position when you open the hood the sound seems to be coming from the bottom left, just about the left hand side of the engine but slightly lower down.

Thanks heaps!
Ads by Google
Old 04-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Yes, they're real!!!

Send a message via AIM to mksu19 Send a message via Yahoo to mksu19 Send a message via Skype™ to mksu19
Mein Auto: '05 325it / '01 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashoumon View Post
I realised there are some rattles occuring in the engine compartment of my 92 325i and i decided to check it out. Popped the hood and the rattle was rather evident from sound and slight vibrations. My knowledge on cars is as good as nil and i dont know whats going on and what i can do to get it fixed without paying an arm and a leg. From the position when you open the hood the sound seems to be coming from the bottom left, just about the left hand side of the engine but slightly lower down.

Thanks heaps!
This thread might help http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=344064. Welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
...Not everyone can be as beautiful as Mona and me...

Mona B.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 AM

thanks mksu19.
from the thread you've sent me it seems like the problem is the lower chain tensioner. Currently im still driving the car around even though the problem is still evident. Is it dangerous/harmful to my car by driving it?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Yes, they're real!!!

Send a message via AIM to mksu19 Send a message via Yahoo to mksu19 Send a message via Skype™ to mksu19
Quote:
...Is it dangerous/harmful to my car by driving it?
Can't say for sure, not a tech myself. That and I'm not sure if your car is displaying the same symptoms (exactly) as the one in the other thread. But I'm sure someone with a lot more mechanical knowledge will soon chime in.

EDIT: Or, try sending E36_Phantom a PM. I'm sure he'd be able to help.

Quote:

Mona B.

Last edited by mksu19; 04-13-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:14 AM

Alright then. Thanks mksu19 for helping out!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Yes, they're real!!!

Quote:
Alright then. Thanks mksu19 for helping out!
You're Welcome! I just wish I could've helped out more.

Quote:

Mona B.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
The chain tensionor is for your timing chain and wears out after a while, how many miles are on your car? If it is the problem, just buy a tensionor or the whole timing chain kit and you should be good. Thats my best opinion.