Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 07-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39
Front 2000 E39 Bumper Removal

We hurt the front bumper of our 528i, and would like to at least reinstall it so that it doesn't hang. Maybe we will get a new 2001+ bumper... it depends. Anyone have links, diagrams, or manuals on how to remove the front bumper assembly?

Thanks.

michael

EDIT: Hmm, found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33640

1997-2000 new, primered front bumper
Ads by Google
Old 07-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: A bucket
I made a small word doc with pics that shows front bumper removal... I would get the 2001+ bumper... It's a BIG improvement. =)

-Dan

Front bumper removal on an E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by emPoWaH

We hurt the front bumper of our 528i, and would like to at least reinstall it so that it doesn't hang. Maybe we will get a new 2001+ bumper... it depends. Anyone have links, diagrams, or manuals on how to remove the front bumper assembly?

Thanks.

michael

EDIT: Hmm, found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33640

1997-2000 new, primered front bumper
Old 07-23-2003, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535 / 00 M5 / 91 M5
here are some bumper removal ideas

from my memory, so i can't be certain....

There are 2 or 3 8mm nuts around the front wheelwell area, at the edge of the front fender (2 i think) and one a little inboard in the wheel well liner that need to come out.

There are 2 torx bolts (#50 i think) just medial to the fog lights. You need to remove the little plastic pannels just inboard of the foglights, these are held in with the 'pop rivits'. you pry out the center with a small screw driver and the plastic rivit body comes out.

The bumper will then slide forward. I think you need to disconnect the horns (unplug the wiring ) but this may be from my e46 memory. Also unplug the foglights. the bumper is not super heavy, but is large and a little ackward. Put some old carpet or towels down in front of the car in case you drop it.

Literally, second time, this takes 10 minutes. first time takes a little hunting for fasteners.
Mike
'91 M5 Alpine White II / Silver Gray
'03 Range Rover County, LWB
'12 MB GL350 diesel
Old 07-23-2003, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: E39
Thanks for the informative replies! I really appreciate it...

We brought our car in for an Inspection II and had the dealer ask a bodyshop for an estimate. $816.13 - $387.60 the bumper, $146.20 for body labor, $139.40 for paint labor, $102.50 for paint supplies, and $40.43 for tax. Yikes!

If I do it myself, I'm estimating $150 for the bumper, and $100 for the paint.

Thanks again for the help!