Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 91 320i Touring
Bizzare 320i Touring Problem

Hi All,

New to this form but looks good!!! Just acquired a 1991 BMW 320i Touring but have comes across a weird issue.

If I open the boot and go into the left hand comparment where the jack and tool kit are kept, there is a void at the bottom that just seems to keep filling with water. I'm thinking that there is a leak in the read window washer system but not sure where to start "fault finding". I was just wondering if anyone had come across this before and had any thoughts on where to start looking???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Alot of E30s do it, mine included, though i didnt know it happened on touring models too

Most people just drill a hole in the bottom of the floor pan. it sounds really primitave i know...

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 04-17-2009, 04:25 AM

Thanks for the reply :-)

The thought had crossed my mind but I thought I'd try and see if there was some reason for it and if something could be done about it first.

Another thing which I'm not so sure about is that there is a plastic vent with some sort of rubber curtain present in that area with two tubes going into it (One clear plastic, the other black rubber) and I have no idea what it's for; can't even find any reference to it in the BMW E30 repair manual (Acquired of the net!). However ther is one of these "vents" on the right hand side but with only a black rubber tube going into it. ANyone got any ideas??????

Cheers
Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngorshkov View Post
Thanks for the reply :-)

The thought had crossed my mind but I thought I'd try and see if there was some reason for it and if something could be done about it first.

Another thing which I'm not so sure about is that there is a plastic vent with some sort of rubber curtain present in that area with two tubes going into it (One clear plastic, the other black rubber) and I have no idea what it's for; can't even find any reference to it in the BMW E30 repair manual (Acquired of the net!). However ther is one of these "vents" on the right hand side but with only a black rubber tube going into it. ANyone got any ideas??????

Cheers

must be a touring thing..

becase they are rare i guess they dont cover that sort of thing in them. sometimes the case with verts too so im told

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 AM

Here are some pics from the inside of the BMW, can anyone tell me what the black plastic "vent" is???? Please :-)

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_001.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	182416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_002.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	182417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_003.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	182418  
Old 04-22-2009, 03:19 AM

Oh that thing! hmmm sorry sedans do have it too. i think its the housing for the side marker lights that appear on the bumpers in some E30s. i have no idea really though. thats just my speculation

E30 above Sold

Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989 316/25i
My euro e30 doesnt have side markers and I still have that piece. I gutted my entire interior and that piece leads no where inside the car so I really have no idea what that is either. The only thing over there is the antenna. My left side storage well also fills up with a little water. The 325i donor car had ALOT of water in that space. I like the idea of drilling a drain in the bottom. Maybe that little box and tubes were an attempt to fix the water leaking problem?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:12 AM

i know. i have the euro without those lights too. thats my point. maybe its for the cars that do have them?

as for it being a fix to the water leaking problem, comon guys! these are BMWs! they wouldnt do that! they would find the problem, not make a solution like that!

E30 above Sold

Old 04-22-2009, 04:39 AM

There is an identical plastic unit on the right hand side so that may go with the theory of it being where some side lights or something are mounted in other models!

If you look closely at the pics there are two tubes going into that plastic fixture; a clear one and a black one. The clear one goes from that fixture and into the rear wiper washer bottle, the black one seems to go up through the supporting strut for the roof and then god knows where.

My reasoning is to find out where the water comes from in order to stop the leak but perhaps I'll just have to face reality and drill a hole in the bottom.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 AM

btw you should throw some pics up in the sticky at the top of the E30 forum of your whole car. dont really see many Touring E30s on here!

E30 above Sold

Old 04-23-2009, 01:41 AM

Will do when I get the chance; I live in the UK and the weather can be unpredictable :-(
Old 04-25-2009, 02:56 AM

By chance i found out what that black oval shaped thingy on the left and right hand sides does!

I took off my rear bumper today to take the towbar off, and then was putting the tow bar on the back seat and then closed the door and noticed the rubber flap on the outside of that thing open and close. so i re closed to door and it did it again. it is therefore likely to be the air outlet, and i would say its connected to those vents you see on the parcel shelf.

problem solved haha.

so you did end up drilling a hole?

E30 above Sold

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: '89 325iX
I believe the black tube on each side is the sunroof drain. They should be connected to drain holes at the rear corners of the sunroof opening - these holes are difficult to even see or find without removing the sunroof.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 AM
East Bound And Down

Send a message via AIM to noexceptions325
Mein Auto: 325e,Jeep,240z,528i
+1 sunroof drain, my buddies was cracked where it connects up top, water leaked down the side of the tube and collected in the boot, but unfortunately this cant be your problem because his was a miniscule amount of water... i would try that air vent or your rear tail light, wither could be leaking, letting rain in

Built 325e too much to list, Heavily modified Jeep, Datsun about to get a 351, and now a 528i