Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Doc Holliday Doc Holliday is offline
Still Cruisin'
Location: Kansas City MO
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 413
Mein Auto: 2003 325xi, 2001 Z3 3.0
2003 325xi transmission fluid

I have a 2003 325xi with the A5S390R transmission (don't kill me, it's my wife's car, my Z has a manual).

The transmission fluid for this car is Texaco EFL8072B, which is horrifically expensive.

Has anyone successfully used another Dexron VI level fluid like Red Line D6 without any problems?

I don't believe in "lifetime fill" fluids. I'll believe in it when I get a lifetime warranty from BMW for not changing the fluids.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM
3beemers 3beemers is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: So Cal; Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 414
Mein Auto: 01 330i 09K13GT 83R100RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I have a 2003 325xi with the A5S390R transmission (don't kill me, it's my wife's car, my Z has a manual).

The transmission fluid for this car is Texaco EFL8072B, which is horrifically expensive.

Has anyone successfully used another Dexron VI level fluid like Red Line D6 without any problems?

I don't believe in "lifetime fill" fluids. I'll believe in it when I get a lifetime warranty from BMW for not changing the fluids.

Any help is appreciated.
How much is expensive?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Mo.licious's Avatar
Mo.licious Mo.licious is offline
Who is John Galt?
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,404
Send a message via AIM to Mo.licious
Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci Convertible
Source: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166135

Quote:
The original fluid in this transmission is Esso ATF LT71141, a synthetic blend that BMW sells in 20L barrels for $28/L (yes, you read right, $560 bucks a barrel). If you bring your own container, some dealerships will sell you smaller quantities. 7 L at $28/L is still $192, so if you insist on sticking with the OEM fluid, VW, Audi, and Porsche use the same ZF transmissions that use the same fluid and you can get it for $16/L from their dealerships and a couple of web sources (see p/n and links at the end). VW also sells a Pentosin substitute that can be had for $8-9/L. Valvoline has certified Mercon V as compatible with Esso LT 71141, as has Castrol with their Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. Plenty of folks have also used the Redline D4 ATF product, and some have also tried Amsoilís synthetic ATF with success. If youíre still under warranty Iíd stick with the OEM fluid (VW stuff is fine, itís the same thing). If anything were to happen I think youíre position would be better if they couldnít blame it all on different fluid. Being out of warranty, I felt comfortable using the Mercon V. It doesnít hurt that it goes for $4/qt, 1/7 the price of the BMW juice and ľ the price from VW.
__________________
From the outside looking in, you canít understand it. From the inside looking out, you canít explain it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Doc Holliday Doc Holliday is offline
Still Cruisin'
Location: Kansas City MO
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 413
Mein Auto: 2003 325xi, 2001 Z3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beemers View Post
How much is expensive?

67 bucks a liter.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Melquin Melquin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Between Moon and Manhattan
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,276
Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo.licious View Post
Source: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166135

The original fluid in this transmission is Esso ATF LT71141, a synthetic blend that BMW sells in 20L barrels for $28/L (yes, you read right, $560 bucks a barrel). If you bring your own container, some dealerships will sell you smaller quantities. 7 L at $28/L is still $192, so if you insist on sticking with the OEM fluid, VW, Audi, and Porsche use the same ZF transmissions that use the same fluid and you can get it for $16/L from their dealerships and a couple of web sources (see p/n and links at the end). VW also sells a Pentosin substitute that can be had for $8-9/L. Valvoline has certified Mercon V as compatible with Esso LT 71141, as has Castrol with their Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. Plenty of folks have also used the Redline D4 ATF product, and some have also tried Amsoilís synthetic ATF with success. If youíre still under warranty Iíd stick with the OEM fluid (VW stuff is fine, itís the same thing). If anything were to happen I think youíre position would be better if they couldnít blame it all on different fluid. Being out of warranty, I felt comfortable using the Mercon V. It doesnít hurt that it goes for $4/qt, 1/7 the price of the BMW juice and ľ the price from VW.
That is for the ZF 325Z not the GM 360/390R.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-15-2009, 12:30 PM
mickey513 mickey513 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Guess =)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 187
Send a message via AIM to mickey513
Mein Auto: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I have a 2003 325xi with the A5S390R transmission (don't kill me, it's my wife's car, my Z has a manual).

The transmission fluid for this car is Texaco EFL8072B, which is horrifically expensive.

Has anyone successfully used another Dexron VI level fluid like Red Line D6 without any problems?

I don't believe in "lifetime fill" fluids. I'll believe in it when I get a lifetime warranty from BMW for not changing the fluids.

Any help is appreciated.
I suggest you jack up the car and actually go down and read the part# on the transmission sticker. Mine had the green sticker (texaco fluid), but when I down to check the part# on the sticker, it had the part# for the Esso Fluid.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Doc Holliday Doc Holliday is offline
Still Cruisin'
Location: Kansas City MO
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 413
Mein Auto: 2003 325xi, 2001 Z3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey513 View Post
I suggest you jack up the car and actually go down and read the part# on the transmission sticker. Mine had the green sticker (texaco fluid), but when I down to check the part# on the sticker, it had the part# for the Esso Fluid.
Already did that, that's how I know it's the Texaco EFL 8072B. The BMW part number on the sticker on the pan translated out to that fluid.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 04-15-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-15-2009, 02:37 PM
slyfocks slyfocks is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Great Northeast
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 371
Mein Auto: 2005 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey513 View Post
I suggest you jack up the car and actually go down and read the part# on the transmission sticker. Mine had the green sticker (texaco fluid), but when I down to check the part# on the sticker, it had the part# for the Esso Fluid.
Yours should specify the Esso LT-71141, but I'd check your color perception, sticker really should be blue (faded/stained maybe?). The '02 330i has the ZF 5HP19 (A5S 325Z) The RWD 330i didn't start using GM5-4L40E (A5S 390R with the Texaco ETL-8072B spec.) until 03/03. The Xi always used the 390R .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-15-2009, 08:04 PM
GCoop's Avatar
GCoop GCoop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlottesville VA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 437
Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey513 View Post
I suggest you jack up the car and actually go down and read the part# on the transmission sticker. Mine had the green sticker (texaco fluid), but when I down to check the part# on the sticker, it had the part# for the Esso Fluid.

If he has an XI he has the GM tranny. No question about it.... GM tranny needs fluid that meets the Texaco ETL-8072B specifications.



This is what I just used in my recent ATF change. At 4.99/QT its a bargain at twice the price compared to what the original fill fluid goes for. It meets the ETL-8072B spec. I have about 800 miles on the new fluid and couldnt be happier. Here is a link to the data sheet stating that it meets the Texaco spec.

Last edited by GCoop; 04-15-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 PM
xi_ter xi_ter is offline
Registered User
Location: Edmonton
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325xi
Use Redline D4 ATF at about $10 a quart. With a full drain you'll need about 7 quarts. The user consensus is smoother shifting.

Last edited by xi_ter; 04-15-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Doc Holliday Doc Holliday is offline
Still Cruisin'
Location: Kansas City MO
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 413
Mein Auto: 2003 325xi, 2001 Z3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
If he has an XI he has the GM tranny. No question about it.... GM tranny needs fluid that meets the Texaco ETL-8072B specifications.



This is what I just used in my recent ATF change. At 4.99/QT its a bargain at twice the price compared to what the original fill fluid goes for. It meets the ETL-8072B spec. I have about 800 miles on the new fluid and couldnt be happier. Here is a link to the data sheet stating that it meets the Texaco spec.

Thanks for the link, that's what I was looking for. I figured there had to be an alternative to 67 bucks a liter ATF.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Doc Holliday Doc Holliday is offline
Still Cruisin'
Location: Kansas City MO
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 413
Mein Auto: 2003 325xi, 2001 Z3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Use Redline D4 ATF at about $10 a quart. With a full drain you'll need about 7 quarts. The user consensus is smoother shifting.

I confirmed this opinion by direct contact with Red Line. They said it's a recommended substitute and will mix fine with the Texaco fluid. Thanks to all who replied.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-16-2009, 01:26 PM
mickey513 mickey513 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Guess =)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 187
Send a message via AIM to mickey513
Mein Auto: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfocks View Post
Yours should specify the Esso LT-71141, but I'd check your color perception, sticker really should be blue (faded/stained maybe?). The '02 330i has the ZF 5HP19 (A5S 325Z) The RWD 330i didn't start using GM5-4L40E (A5S 390R with the Texaco ETL-8072B spec.) until 03/03. The Xi always used the 390R .
Nope, I am positive it was green. Pass my last vision test with flying colors :P
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 PM
bimmerman11 bimmerman11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Staten Island
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 88
Mein Auto: 2005 330 xi & 2009 X5
[QUOTE=GCoop;4096909]If he has an XI he has the GM tranny. No question about it.... GM tranny needs fluid that meets the Texaco ETL-8072B specifications.

I have a 330 xi and my indy mechanic told me I have the ZF tranny. Are you saying that all xi cars have GM transmissions?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-25-2009, 01:25 PM
slyfocks slyfocks is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Great Northeast
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 371
Mein Auto: 2005 330ci
[QUOTE=bimmerman11;4124725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
If he has an XI he has the GM tranny. No question about it.... GM tranny needs fluid that meets the Texaco ETL-8072B specifications.

I have a 330 xi and my indy mechanic told me I have the ZF tranny. Are you saying that all xi cars have GM transmissions?

If it is an automatic, yes.
All automatic E46 xi have the A5S390R (GM5L40E) transmission.
A 2005 manual would have a ZF GS6X37BZ.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-25-2009, 05:48 PM
shadow 2 shadow 2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Indianapolis, IN
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 535
Mein Auto: 2007 328i
[QUOTE=bimmerman11;4124725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
If he has an XI he has the GM tranny. No question about it.... GM tranny needs fluid that meets the Texaco ETL-8072B specifications.

I have a 330 xi and my indy mechanic told me I have the ZF tranny. Are you saying that all xi cars have GM transmissions?
He is mistaken. All Xi automatics have the GM tranny.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-25-2009, 08:50 PM
GCoop's Avatar
GCoop GCoop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlottesville VA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 437
Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
[quote=bimmerman11;4124725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
If he has an XI he has the GM tranny. No question about it.... GM tranny needs fluid that meets the Texaco ETL-8072B specifications.

I have a 330 xi and my indy mechanic told me I have the ZF tranny. Are you saying that all xi cars have GM transmissions?
Yes I am. Unless your car has had its transmission replaced or something your mechanic is mistaken.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 AM
sp100 sp100 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2004 5301
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
If he has an XI he has the GM tranny. No question about it.... GM tranny needs fluid that meets the Texaco ETL-8072B specifications.



This is what I just used in my recent ATF change. At 4.99/QT its a bargain at twice the price compared to what the original fill fluid goes for. It meets the ETL-8072B spec. I have about 800 miles on the new fluid and couldnt be happier. Here is a link to the data sheet stating that it meets the Texaco spec.
How do you know that this fluid meets ETL-8072B spec.?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 AM
himefrankie himefrankie is offline
i love lamp.
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 03 330xi
Question typo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
If he has an XI he has the GM tranny. No question about it.... GM tranny needs fluid that meets the Texaco ETL-8072B specifications.



This is what I just used in my recent ATF change. At 4.99/QT its a bargain at twice the price compared to what the original fill fluid goes for. It meets the ETL-8072B spec. I have about 800 miles on the new fluid and couldnt be happier. Here is a link to the data sheet stating that it meets the Texaco spec.
If you follow the link, and look at the compatible BMW fluid specifications it says ETL-8027B .. not ETL-8072B. Typo?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-04-2010, 12:04 PM
aioros aioros is offline
aioros
Location: Wildomar, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 572
Mein Auto: '99 528i auto , '01 330xi
my 01 330xi has the GM tranny which has the green sticker and the texaco fluid part number. I used the castrol import multi-vehicle fluid on my recent ATF change. No problems so far.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms