Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Hambone

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4i
Question Possible bmw owner - looking and need some advice

Hey guys,
I've been a chrysler/dodge owner and currently drive a magnum RT awd with 5.7 hemi. But am truly sick of cheap material, workmanship etc. and have had a long time eye and passion for the bmws. Need some advice here now from you experts.

I've been in the market for either a 5 series or a 7 series. Obviously if i go for the 5 series I'd think into the newer 05- 07 5 series but not sure compared to the 7 series luxuries and class. I did come across a 2003 745i Sports package with all options, black on black with about 80K miles on it.

Is it worth looking into the 80K miles 03 7 series? I am not that aware of the problems as I am new to the bmw world.

any advice would be great - thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 04-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E66,E90,W211,NSX,E39,E38
Let me answer your question before the bashing begins.

My best advice is not to buy one. If you do a search, you'll find numerous common issues with this car. If you have to have one, then buy a later model that has a comprehensive warranty.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: E66
I just went thru somewhat similiar process, looked at both 2007 530i and 2003 745Li. I drove both extensively, ie. over the weekend and over my regular 28 mile one way commute. Both of them are offered to me from friends, so I didn't deal with dealer at all. I am not familiar with your current car, but I have had a V8 mustang and Olds so I can relate somewhat.

Between 5 & 7, the difference to ME is farily big. 530i is almost 1000lbs lighter. 5 is more agile, more feed back from the road, feels much more compact compare to the 7, cockpit is much more cozier compare to the 7. Both are very quiet and refined. You need to drive both. Certain things I don't like in the 5 but I don't want to say it here to tint your perception; but will be glad to share after your test drive. I decided to take over the 745 from the friend based on his fairly trouble free experience and his original intention to hold on to the car to 150k miles plus and maintained it accordingly. I love the V8 power and sounds and the stately appearence and the presense of the 7. I bot it mainly it's really a luxury cruiser with possiblely the best handling in its class.

Now, in terms of reliability, I think you will get a sense by looking thru different threads. They are certianly not Toyota/Honda; german cars in gereral will be more expensive to maintain and repair, ie high maintenance but they deliver a differnt type of driving experience. I have owned Audi's for 7 years, so I know. In the end, lots of it has to do with your luck with each invidual car, just like there are lemons with Lexus and toyota. It's definitely riskier than buying a Lexus, ie, the probability and frenquency of unexpected repair will be higher but your luck is not a insignificiant element either. How do you minimize the risk? Check the car's history and make sure the entry price is low enough to jusitify the risk. My friend offered me a slightly below wholesale price and I thought even if I add $5K repair right away, I still feel ok about the deal. That's when I decided to pull the trigger. Good luck.

Rich
Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li Individual ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
Hey guys,
I've been a chrysler/dodge owner and currently drive a magnum RT awd with 5.7 hemi. But am truly sick of cheap material, workmanship etc. and have had a long time eye and passion for the bmws. Need some advice here now from you experts.

I've been in the market for either a 5 series or a 7 series. Obviously if i go for the 5 series I'd think into the newer 05- 07 5 series but not sure compared to the 7 series luxuries and class. I did come across a 2003 745i Sports package with all options, black on black with about 80K miles on it.

Is it worth looking into the 80K miles 03 7 series? I am not that aware of the problems as I am new to the bmw world.

any advice would be great - thanks.
If you still have you Hemi or Dodge - take some hard turns @ 40 MPH if safe and make sure you remember that horrible feeling, because in a BMW that turns to a menacing grin because you can take that turn at 50 or 60 MPH - no sweat!

I wont drive anything else because of the driving experience and the $0 cost maintenance. This is huge since this cost way more than what BMW states is their sample cost savings. Breaks alone cost more. Given my two factors, I would prefer you buy a 5 and make sure you do a carfax or check the Manuf date to make sure it is still under "MAINTENANCE warranty' Which will cover your day to day issues like breaks, Oil changes, and other things... It does NOT need to be a new car - BMW will honor as long as the 4 year 50k limits has not been crossed (either one voids it) AND you can extend this BEFORE it expires. One day late, and BMW cannot add this warranty.

I have driven the 3, 5 and 7 - 330 or M3 is the most fun to drive hands down! 7 you can cruise at 130MPH in the highway and still feel that you are traveling 50, and 5 is a good balance, not as fun as 3 but close, not as smooth as a 7 but closer than the 3.
One thing is for sure, once you drive a BMW, nothing else feels the same

Please note there is NO WRONG CHOICE - though to be a Mercedes will be a wrong choice
If you get a 7 or a 5 - even the one you describe - know that since BMW has excellent Maintenance and Service Warranty - that these care have been well taken care of and not messed around with. I tend to buy cars that look STOCK, and know that the previous owner didnt do his own electrical or modification work - but that is just me. Ive seen people here that are geniuses - but you never know, so I play it safe. Take pics and post it here - people will comment on it before you buy it. Take pics inside and out!
Sorry for long note.
I hope this helped
Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Hambone

good suggestions everyone - thank you,
I am still researching and definately do agree w/ the CPO deals and or with a pre-owned incl. warranty. Will chime back soon with some more details when I come across while test driving or not. Driving an american muscle is just not feasible when looking for an ultimate driving experience with luxury and class that bmw offers.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Hambone

by the way here is the 7 series I was looking at.
http://www.iascars.com/Home/current_...aspx?carId=443

the mileage does seem to be high but again its from a small dealer - so warranty would be a major issue.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Out of curiousity, I took a look at that ad... I noticed a "red" car icon on the navigation screen. You should determine what is causing that icon to appear and what will be required to resolve it ($$$$ ) before you consider buying...
Old 04-17-2009, 07:35 PM
It's all about me!

Mein Auto: 07-750LI, 12-X3, 01-330Ci
That's a great looking car your considering. I would definitely have it checked out by a mechanic who knows BMW's and you trust if possible. You also got good advice from teejaylentz about the red car icon...make sure check that out.

I have read plenty of horror stories about 2002 & 2003 745's on this site, but also lots of good ones. If the car checks out, and you like the way it handles....go for it. There is nothing like driving a 7. I would recommend an extended warranty if possible. There is a lot of "stuff" on these cars and a warranty is a good idea.

Good luck!

2007 750LI Barbera Red
2001 330Cic Orient Blue
2000 328i Jet Black(Sold)
2004 X3 Mystic Blue
2012 X3 Alpine White
Old 04-18-2009, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li, X5 3.0, A6 2.7t
I say if you can't afford a newer 7 don't bother. These cars are very hit and miss when it comes to reliability, it's 6 years old and has 80k miles, I say stay away.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
how much is the price of it?
it would be good to know before.
it is true, half the people face major problems, but some have none at all.
if it's a decent price, then you may want to consider buying it.
it's well worth it in the end., unless of course you're unlucky and face many major engine probs.