Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 AM
murox murox is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntington, WV
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: '08 335i Sedan
Best place to have new tired mounted/balanced?

I tried this on the tire forum with no luck.

I purchased 4 non-RFT tires from The Tire Rack and expect delivery the middle of next week. What is my best option for having the tires mounted and balanced? I hope to preserve the TPM, and most importantly, ensure my wheels are not scratched. I would rather pay more money (say, my local BMW center) than take it to a place that doesn't deal regularly with low-profile tires.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-18-2009, 07:02 AM
need4speed's Avatar
need4speed need4speed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,561
Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Tire Rack has a list of places they endorse. I used one, (not in W.Va.), but the shop owner told me (after I had paid him, so I'm more likely to believe) that tire rack actually investigates them fairly rigerousley before adding a shop to tire racks web site. It is worth a look on tire racks site. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Spagolli94 Spagolli94 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philly
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,608
Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by murox View Post
I tried this on the tire forum with no luck.

I purchased 4 non-RFT tires from The Tire Rack and expect delivery the middle of next week. What is my best option for having the tires mounted and balanced? I hope to preserve the TPM, and most importantly, ensure my wheels are not scratched. I would rather pay more money (say, my local BMW center) than take it to a place that doesn't deal regularly with low-profile tires.

Any suggestions?
I recently thought the same thing. I bypassed my local Firestone to take it to my dealer. I paid twice as much at the dealer, but didn't care because I wanted the job done right. Well, my dealer proceeded to mount the wrong tires on the wrong wheels (I have a staggered set and they put the wide tires on the front). They scratched the rims in the process. And once everything was all done and fixed, I had to take it back for a re-balance. If you find a good tire shop, I'd recommend that. Chances are, their techs may be more experienced mounting/balancing tires than a BWM tech.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2009, 04:17 PM
DrGP's Avatar
DrGP DrGP is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 566
Mein Auto: Sapphire/coral 335i Cp
The ONLY place to get them mounted is a facility with Hunter GSP tire and wheel mounting and balancing equipment. All others are inferior and will not balance the wheels and tires well enough to have zero vibration over 100 MPH plus they might also damage your wheels which the Hunter system will not. The Hunter system will actually compensate for slight imperfections in the wheel. Find your nearest Hunter GSP here: http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Spagolli94 Spagolli94 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philly
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,608
Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I just did a search for Hunter shops. My BMW dealership came up #1. They have this great machine, yet still managed to f-up the balance AND scuff my rims!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2009, 12:13 AM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,591
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
The ONLY place to get them mounted is a facility with Hunter GSP tire and wheel mounting and balancing equipment. All others are inferior and will not balance the wheels and tires well enough to have zero vibration over 100 MPH plus they might also damage your wheels which the Hunter system will not. The Hunter system will actually compensate for slight imperfections in the wheel. Find your nearest Hunter GSP here: http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
It so happens that I am in CT, specifically Mohegan Sun, this weekend with the NETSA show (New England Tire Service Assoc.) Among all the tire equipment mfrs. on the show floor is Hunter which I am on the verge of buying (coincidently one of their midrange machines is shown changing an M6 wheel/tire).
However, to say Hunter is the only equipment to use is wrong. It is very, very good but it isn't the best. The Corghi stuff is the best in my opinion. Bean and Snap-On is tops as well. I didn't look at the Coats equipment because it wasn't being demo'd so I can't give an opinion on it.
And here's some news about the contact type Hunter road force measuring balancers; old tech! Take a look at the Bean equipment which measures irregularities with laser beams and you will have seen true state of the art.
I would like to add one thing. The equipment I have now is Hoffman from Germany. It was the best in its day, when an 18" wheel was incredibly big and aluminum wheels were rare options. I can still change a low profile tire with it. I can still change run-flats with it (using rim clamp accessories to keep the bead down). I won't damage wheels. But it will take me 10-15 minutes per wheel compared to a minute with the new equipment, and that is where the significant differences lie- speed and safety! If I put a hacker on the latest equipment he will damage the wheel or tire just as surely as he would have with the old equipment. The operator is still 90% of the equation.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 04-19-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 PM
murox murox is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntington, WV
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: '08 335i Sedan
Brief update. So I call my local dealer today and they proceed to tell me they will not mount non-RFTs on my car. What's the deal with that? It's not like I'm putting different sized tires on the car. The run-flats are a joke anyway; I'm not going to drive my car if it has a flat, even with run-flats.

Oh well. I found a local tire shop which claims to be able to mount/balance without scratching the wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-21-2009, 05:47 AM
Chewy734 Chewy734 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cleveland, OH
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 236
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by murox View Post
Brief update. So I call my local dealer today and they proceed to tell me they will not mount non-RFTs on my car. What's the deal with that? It's not like I'm putting different sized tires on the car. The run-flats are a joke anyway; I'm not going to drive my car if it has a flat, even with run-flats.
That's weird... most snow tires are non-RFT and they have no problems swapping those in and out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-21-2009, 06:43 AM
damyankee damyankee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
I swear, finding a shop to mount & balance properly & without doing damage is like rolling the dice. I had a wheel & tire place (recommended by Tirerack) mount 4 new tires on my E46 after a good experience at the same place with my wife's X5. They never balanced properly, so I had the dealer correct, which worked out fine. So next time I just had the dealer mount & balance a new set, and not only did they not balance correctly, they scratched the piss out of all 4 wheels. Then when I tried to rotate 5k miles later, I discovered that they had torqued several of my lug nuts on so tight that I bent the tool trying to get them off. Finally I broke them free with a 2' pipe extension. Recently I had my tires balanced yet again at a 3rd tire outfit. They improved on BMW's work, but still not vibration free.

I think if you don't have a close blood relative doing the work for you who is indebted to you for something major, its totally hit or miss. I'd happily pay twice as much for a good reliable tire shop.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 AM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,591
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by damyankee View Post
I swear, finding a shop to mount & balance properly & without doing damage is like rolling the dice. I had a wheel & tire place (recommended by Tirerack) mount 4 new tires on my E46 after a good experience at the same place with my wife's X5. They never balanced properly, so I had the dealer correct, which worked out fine. So next time I just had the dealer mount & balance a new set, and not only did they not balance correctly, they scratched the piss out of all 4 wheels. Then when I tried to rotate 5k miles later, I discovered that they had torqued several of my lug nuts on so tight that I bent the tool trying to get them off. Finally I broke them free with a 2' pipe extension. Recently I had my tires balanced yet again at a 3rd tire outfit. They improved on BMW's work, but still not vibration free.

I think if you don't have a close blood relative doing the work for you who is indebted to you for something major, its totally hit or miss. I'd happily pay twice as much for a good reliable tire shop.
Even a $20,000 Corghi tire changer can damage your wheels. A laser guided, road force measuring balancer can result in a vibration.
It is all about the operator. A human being still is the most important factor in the job getting done right. Or not.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-21-2009, 08:44 AM
damyankee damyankee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
A human being still is the most important factor in the job getting done right. Or not.
Yup. I'm guessing that the guy who really takes the time to do it right each & every time is not the same guy that makes the shop any money.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Spagolli94 Spagolli94 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philly
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,608
Mein Auto: 2006 330i
After I went back and complained, the dealer got my wheel balance spot on. Not even a hint of vibration - smooth as glass.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 AM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,591
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
After I went back and complained, the dealer got my wheel balance spot on. Not even a hint of vibration - smooth as glass.

For the reason why see Damyankee's post #11.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM
1CEBITN 1CEBITN is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 212
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
With non-RFT tires I wouldn't worry as much about it, they are a bit easier to get on the rim than RFTs. The stiff sidewalls on the RFT tires are what really makes it difficult for the operators to avoid scratching the rims. You have to make sure they are at least RFT certified imho. I had one of my RFTs replaced due to a bubble at my local NTB and they did a fantastic job of both mounting and balancing, no vibe whatsoever. I have had tires (275/35/17 if I remember right so not a large sidewall) replaced on 17's from other cars at my local Firestone without incident as well. Maybe I have just been lucky.
__________________
2007 Titanium Silver 335i Sedan w/Sport, Premium, Comfort Access, Steptronic...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Team_Ram-Rod Team_Ram-Rod is offline
Team_Ram-Rod
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 53
Mein Auto: 2006 330XI
I am considering buying a ne wset of Tires and Rims, but I am really unfamililar with the procedures on the swtiching on and off. I would have to complete sets of wheels, one for summer and one for winter, but do I have to get them both aligned and balance each time they come on and off the car or just one of the other.

THanks
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-22-2009, 05:28 AM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,591
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Ram-Rod View Post
I am considering buying a ne wset of Tires and Rims, but I am really unfamililar with the procedures on the swtiching on and off. I would have to complete sets of wheels, one for summer and one for winter, but do I have to get them both aligned and balance each time they come on and off the car or just one of the other.

THanks
I have a very nice $48,000 alignment setup, but I'm going to talk you out of an alignment. When you switch your tire/wheel sets over from summer to winter to summer you do NOT need to have either an alignment or a rebalance.
You might want to have the alignment and balance checked every couple years but don't need to if there is no reason to. If you have no tire vibration then balance is good. If the tire wear is nice and even across the tread on all tires AND your steering wheel is centered then your alignment is probably OK.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 AM
murox murox is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntington, WV
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: '08 335i Sedan
Had the new tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport) mounted today without complication. It's unbelievable how much better these tires feel (comfort-wise) compared to the OEM Bridgestone RFTs. They feel a bit softer when cornering, but not too soft.

The car feels like it's gliding on the interstate now. A completely different ride.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Spagolli94 Spagolli94 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philly
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,608
Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by murox View Post
Had the new tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport) mounted today without complication. It's unbelievable how much better these tires feel (comfort-wise) compared to the OEM Bridgestone RFTs. They feel a bit softer when cornering, but not too soft.

The car feels like it's gliding on the interstate now. A completely different ride.
How does the noise compare?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM
murox murox is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntington, WV
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: '08 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
How does the noise compare?
There is no audible road noise from the tires. It's kinda bizarre.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 PM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,591
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by murox View Post
There is no audible road noise from the tires. It's kinda bizarre.
After wet traction and dry traction my next most important criterion is noise. I really like quiet tires and it is surprising how rare they are. Glad you found a good set.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Spagolli94 Spagolli94 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philly
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,608
Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by murox View Post
There is no audible road noise from the tires. It's kinda bizarre.
Actually, I find my stock Bridgstone RFTs very quiet over smooth pavement. They are just noisy over the rough stuff. I think they will be fine during the summer though as they really seem to be better when the pavement is hot. I can't wait to do the swap.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms