Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-20-2009, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i
Acceptable? 07 E92 16k miles but slvg

What do you guys think about this?
2007 335i coupe (manual transmission) with 16k miles, with premium, sport, nav, logic 7, ipod aux for $24,500? Keep in mind it is a salvage title where the car was hit on the front right side so the bumper, radiator, front right head light, the right panel and some plastic under the car was replaced. Thanks a bunch~
Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Depends... Do you want to keep the car for a long time (it may be hard to sell with a salvage title)? Does it come with a BMW warranty? Can a reputable shop (better yet a BMW dealership) confirm that it is properly aligned and that everything works as it is supposed?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Piacere di guidare

Mein Auto: 428 Cabrio - ED'ed 8-14
While I can't say for certain, it seems highly unlikely that any BMW sold on a salvage title would have any factory warranty coverage. As a general rule, salvage title cars are to be avoided by 98% of the population 99% of the time. Remember this key fact: any vehicle with a salvage title was damaged so badly that the cost to PROPERLY repair it was more than the car was worth at retail. So what corners did the shop cut to get the car drivable and sell it to you at a profit?

Unless you are extremely knowledgable about crash damage repair and know exactly what the damage was (like with pictures of the car torn down for repair), you will more than likely get a nasty surprise somewhere down the line. Something like, oh, I dunno.. a cracked motor mount that finally breaks all the way when you're on a pleasure trip a thousand miles from home. Or a wrinkle in the unibody that forces you to screw interior panels on and everything creaks and rattles like an old barn in a windstorm. Or a suspension that won't properly align and the car shows it under acceleration, or even worse, under hard braking. And that's well before you try to sell the car. My advice: keep looking for that first BMW ride. This isn't the one.

My 2014 ED trip report: Born Yesterday - 3rd ED off to a (mostly) flawless start
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793345

My 2011 ED trip report: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545068

My 2008 ED trip report: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha....?"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288271

Last edited by boothguy; 04-20-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011BMW 335i, Honda S2000
From the description of that car, its original list price was about $48,000. In order to be declared a salvage vehicle, I would guess that the legitimate repair costs for complete restoration were significantly in excess of $25,000. The explanation of repairs cited by Sourphish doesn't sound anywhere near that, so I would suspect that there is a little understatement on the part of the seller. Caveat emptor.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: Late '07 335 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliotlevy View Post
From the description of that car, its original list price was about $48,000. In order to be declared a salvage vehicle, I would guess that the legitimate repair costs for complete restoration were significantly in excess of $25,000. The explanation of repairs cited by Sourphish doesn't sound anywhere near that, so I would suspect that there is a little understatement on the part of the seller. Caveat emptor.
What he said.