Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: E30 325I coupe
electric fan not working..

I just noticed today that my electric fan isn't turning on, any ideas how to fix it? I turned on my A/C to test it and I noticed the fan didn't switch on like it normally does
Ads by Google
Old 04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Running life's race...

Mein Auto: 91 318i
Post Adapted from the Bentley manual and the ETM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Rey_Jr View Post
I just noticed today that my electric fan isn't turning on, any ideas how to fix it? I turned on my A/C to test it and I noticed the fan didn't switch on like it normally does
This is assuming you have the single dual-temp sensor that mounts on the right-hand side of the radiator and has a three-wire connector:

Just replaced my dual-temp radiator switch. The male pins are on the dual temp switch in a triangular configuration. The male connector's plastic shell has a curved edge, a flat edge, and an inwardly-notched edge.

2 3
The curved edge is on the side of pins 1 and 2, the flat edge on pins 2 and 3, and the notched edge with pins 1 and 3.

Pin 1 -- green/black wire
Pin 2 -- black wire
Pin 3 -- brown/black wire

The test procedure (steps 0-6 for the aux fan, step 7 for the AC switch):

0. Check to see you have intact fuses 3 (15A low speed relay fuse), 18 (30A high speed relay fuse), 19 (auxiliary fan 7.5A), and fuse 20 (30A for the AC and aux fan).

1. Pull the female terminal connector from the dual-temp switch.

2. With a voltmeter and the ignition turned to the run position, check between terminal 1 on the female connnector and ground for 12V.

3. Turn the ignition off and rig up a jumper wire between green/black and and black on the female connector. Turn the ignition on and see if the fan turns at its lower speed.

4. Turn the ignition off and move the jumper wire between green/black and and black/brown on the female connector. Turn the ignition on and see if the fan turns at its higher speed.

5. If the fan only runs at low speed, check the K6 relay in the main fuse box.

6. If it runs only at high speed, check the K1 relay in the main fuse box and low speed resistor mounted to the auxiliary fan housing behind the center of the front bumper. You measure the resistor with the power off and its electrical connectors removed. If the resistance is not around six ohms, replace the resistor.

7. To test the AC select switch, you backprobe the connector with a voltmeter with the switch depressed and the ignition switch on. You should have battery voltage at the white and black/violet wires. The white wire carries power in from the fuse box. When the switch is pushed in, power passes through the AC switch to the connector's black/violet wire, an AC diode under the fuse box, and the K1 relay/fuse 3/aux fan blower resistor to the auxiliary fan. You would replace the AC switch if you had power at the white wire but not at the black/violet.

I've been fortunate my auxiliary fan runs when the AC switch is depressed. I did steps 0-4 and everything worked. If the fan only works when the dual-temp switch is bypassed, that indicates replacing the dual-temp switch. In Vegas, we're getting into AC weather, so the aux fan will always be running in its low speed setting, with it going to high speed if the coolant temp at the sensor rises to 99C.

The one other step I'll defer on is checking the Evaporator Temperature Regulator (ETR), a six-prong relay requiring you to pull the rear and center console to get to it. When the AC is cycling and you hear periodic clicks from what seems to be in the vicinity of the right side of the accelerator pedal, that's the ETR at work. The ETM has detailed test procedures if your troubleshooting takes you in that direction.

Adios for now.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:43 PM

well Im not gonna lie I read the instructions and I was like but I tried to understand it the best I could I know the E30 engine pretty well so I gave it a shot, I went near the electric fan and unplug some wires and plugged them back in and cleaned them and waaalaaa I guess that was the issue i dont know but I just press the little button for A/C and it turns on now I have to charge my A/C and it will blow out cold.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Conform or be cast out

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
So let me get this straight: the elec fan (I have an '84 318i) only operates when the AC is on?

I ask because my engine gets a little warm when I am sitting in traffic. I suspected that my electric fan isn't working, but if it is tied to the AC then it shouldn't be working anyway, considering I don't use the AC since the belt isn't on the compressor yet.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:25 PM

im kinda in the same situation your in, if i sit in traffic it gets almost to the 3/4 line of the temp, which is pretty warm, but I noticed that the electric fan doesn't turn on even if its hot ( i know this because i was in dead stop traffic on the freeway and i actually stepped out and looked at the fan ) but when i press the button for A/C not turn on the fan just press the button it turns on which is kinda weird in someway
Old 04-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Conform or be cast out

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
I'll have to remember that next time I'm sitting at a light watching the temp gauge creep up.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Running life's race...

Mein Auto: 91 318i
Post Some clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
So let me get this straight: the elec fan (I have an '84 318i) only operates when the AC is on?

I ask because my engine gets a little warm when I am sitting in traffic. I suspected that my electric fan isn't working, but if it is tied to the AC then it shouldn't be working anyway, considering I don't use the AC since the belt isn't on the compressor yet.
No, and when you press the AC switch, the auxiliary fan can run even though the compressor isn't cycling. The radiator in the 84 318i does have two temperature switches mounted at the bottom left to trigger the auxiliary fan to run when coolant temperatures hit certain targets.

For the sake of clarity in troubleshooting, electric fan is a bit ambiguous. The auxiliary fan is mounted just behind the grille, as compared to the blower motor at the back of the engine compartment. Both are electric fans as contrasted to the belt-driven engine fan.

Adios for now.

Last edited by romeomike; 04-27-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: correct a factual error and conclusion I made previously.