Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-22-2009, 05:34 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktopus View Post
I'm not sure what your point was here. But I ordered a set of wheels/tires and the TPMS sensors were pre-installed. That way I have two sets of wheels both with TPMS. It's handy to have, especially with RFTs. It's let me know of a leak before I could tell already, and I've only got 6000 miles on it.

I'm sure I'll come off sounding like a dick and I don't mean to, but if $200 every seven years (or extra set of wheels) even mattered to me, I'm driving the wrong car and should have gotten something cheaper. I paid more than double that for the frivolous ability to not take my key out of my pocket to unlock and start the car. Christ I spend more than that on booze in a month.
Shockto, we're just discussing costs, not bitchin'. You do know though that when it comes time to swap out the sensors you are going to see dozens of posts screaming about the $300 that "idiotic BMW" requires the owners spend!
Watch this Forum in 4 years or less when the whining starts!
Oh, about this part of your post "I'm sure I'll come off sounding like a dick and I don't mean to" Yes you did.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Hi CW. Some TPS monitors have replaceable valve stems, these are called insert types. You keep the same electronics and use a new valve stem (and related small parts).
The batteries themselves will probably go for around $5-10 each. The labor will be a killer. We'll have to remove each wheel from the car and break one beed to gain access to the monitor. The old monitor must be removed and disassembled to swap batteries. When it is reinstalled a new seal kit will be required. After reinflation the tire should be rebalanced-it doesn't have to be but it would be a shame not to check it at least. Then the wheel has to be reinstalled on the car.
My guess is that fewer than 10% of all machines in use today can quickly and safely handle RFTs so your choices of who will do the work will be limited. (Most BMW dealers obviously are equipped to do the work.)
My estimate to replace four batteries by an independent; $160-180. By a BMW dealer-more.
Seems like for those with TPMS, the thing to do is get the batteries changed when you put new tires on.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecodoug View Post
Seems like for those with TPMS, the thing to do is get the batteries changed when you put new tires on.
That would be the way to go IF we had replaceable batteries. Turns out we don't. The whole unit will have to be replaced. How many of us will say, yeah go ahead and throw in a set of sensors even though mine haven't failed yet.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
MT4LIFE

Mein Auto: E92-M3, E90-335
Well, first of all none of us on this forum are going to keep these cars for 7 years, and secondly what's a big deal, the whole set is 200 bucks via tirerack, not that bad every 7 years. By then you'll end up paying 2000 for new turbos, so it's all relative
Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Actually, I'm hoping to keep my car for more than 7 years.

I'll be o.k. with changing out the sensors when the time comes. I'll have to change two sets, probably, because I have two sets of wheels. (We might just get lucky here. It's possible that the sensor doesn't transmit... and doesn't use battery power much... when the wheel is not rotating.)

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Does an 07 328 have individual tire pressure sensors as well? I previously had an 05 545 that just measured based on tire rotation.
Retired 05 545i
Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
Actually, I'm hoping to keep my car for more than 7 years.

I'll be o.k. with changing out the sensors when the time comes. I'll have to change two sets, probably, because I have two sets of wheels. (We might just get lucky here. It's possible that the sensor doesn't transmit... and doesn't use battery power much... when the wheel is not rotating.)
Good guess. The transmitter is idle when the wheel isn't rotating. When the wheel is rotating the transmitter sends out a periodic info burst based on an internal clock. Between bursts the transmitter uses virtually no power.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Not a real doctor.

Ha! Thanks. 'Great to have somebody out there who knows.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai7 View Post
Well, first of all none of us on this forum are going to keep these cars for 7 years, and secondly what's a big deal, the whole set is 200 bucks via tirerack, not that bad every 7 years. By then you'll end up paying 2000 for new turbos, so it's all relative
What gives you that idea?

I will keep this car for as long as it is feasible. I don't foresee myself just suddenly finding tons of extra disposable income to blow off on a new car every 3-4 years. I hope I can keep it around for 10!

No kids yet so any disposable income in addition to what I have today will likely end up going to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Why wouldn't anyone keep their car for 7+ years?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Not a real doctor.

Uhm... because they like their car? Because they like to hold some money back for other things?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 09 E90 sport pkge
anyone know if the computer tells you which tire is down and by how much? I haven't had the system register any lack of air yet so i'm not familiar. I know on GM cars you press an info button and it tells you the current PSI of each tire.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Not a real doctor.

I think this is where the Nav system gives you an advantage. I'm pretty sure I read that you can see using the Nav system. I'm not sure you can see which tire without it.

Of course, you're going to want to get out there with a tire gauge anyway...

Old 04-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Why wouldn't anyone keep their car for 7+ years?
When I bought mine it was with the intention of keeping it 10 years. With the original turbos. Since this is a 'third' vehicle for me, I expect to have only about 70k miles when I sell it.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Non compos Mentos

More about TPMS sensors and a new 'batteryless' type which I don't really understand unless they are talking about some kind of mechanism like a generator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_pr...itoring_system
Old 04-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
More about TPMS sensors and a new 'batteryless' type which I don't really understand unless they are talking about some kind of mechanism like a generator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_pr...itoring_system
Without having read the article, there certainly is more than plentiful energy in the the rotating wheel to keep a battery charged forever and ever, unless the battery itself or charging mechanism fails.

Same thing that Seiko does in their watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Not a real doctor.

Damn! Why didn't I think of that? I bet we'll see this in all TPMS in the future. 'Makes sense and I bet it's cheap to do.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
When I bought mine it was with the intention of keeping it 10 years. With the original turbos. Since this is a 'third' vehicle for me, I expect to have only about 70k miles when I sell it.
That was my point. It makes sense to keep a vehicle for a fair amount of time, hence my asking, as to why anyone would ditch it in 3-4 years.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 PM
MT4LIFE

Mein Auto: E92-M3, E90-335
I just meant that 75% of people are leasing these things and I wouldn't want to own 335 with everything that can go wrong with it past the warranty
Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 PM
SUPPORTING VENDOR

Mein Auto: 07' E90 and 95' E36 M3x2
All NEW 09' models have the TPM modules inside the tires and on the wheels.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai7 View Post
I just meant that 75% of people are leasing these things and I wouldn't want to own 335 with everything that can go wrong with it past the warranty
I hear you there! Until recently I had a '66 Mustang, 289 HiPo. It had all of four sets of engine wires under the hood; an oil pressure sensor, a temp sensor, the distibutor breaker points, and a coil. There was not a single electronic device on the car outside of the radio. Life was simpler then. (Well, except for adjusting dual points every month, and constantly fiddling with the jets in the 4bbl carb. Ha, none of you kids have any idea what the heck I'm talking about...)
Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Not a real doctor.

I remember carbs! Remember that special set of tiny wrenches? Or how about spraying some carb cleaner down the hole to start a reluctant engine? (Boom!)

Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I remember carbs! Remember that special set of tiny wrenches? Or how about spraying some carb cleaner down the hole to start a reluctant engine? (Boom!)
I finally got rid of my uni-syn last year. I hadn't used it in years, It was a device for synchonizing carburetors. I bought ir for my Jag XK120 that had dual SU carbs. Later used it on a Jaguar Mark 9 Saloon that had a similar engine and also had dual SUs. Those cars seemed very complex at the time with their multiple caruretors and dual ovehead cam engines. Now they seem simple and primitive.

That XK120 was the a blast to drive. I wish I still had it.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 04-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Not a real doctor.

Hell... I'd never see it in person, but I wish you still had it!

Classic.

I was thinking today, if I could go back in time with my little 328 to, say, 1965... just imagine all the ruckus it would stir. Compared to cars back then, this thing would be a spaceship... a rocket...

Of course, it'd be tough to get parts, lol.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I finally got rid of my uni-syn last year. I hadn't used it in years, It was a device for synchonizing carburetors. I bought ir for my Jag XK120 that had dual SU carbs. Later used it on a Jaguar Mark 9 Saloon that had a similar engine and also had dual SUs. Those cars seemed very complex at the time with their multiple caruretors and dual ovehead cam engines. Now they seem simple and primitive.

That XK120 was the a blast to drive. I wish I still had it.

CA
Captain, your 120 is beautiful! Please find and post a pic of a 1962 Jaguar Mark II! That was the first foreign car I ever restored. I still have my Uni-syn! I bought it and a cam clamp at the same time (to keep the two cams in time when the chains/gears were removed). Remember filling your dashpots with oil? My engine, the same as in the XK-E had dual carbs but I did the Triple carb mod after installing an E-type intake.
I had the optional wire wheels with knock off spinners (and a lead hammer in the boot), and fog lamps. The fusebox contained two 60A fuses which fed everything and was my biggest headache.
It had inboard rear brakes (next to the diff instead of inside the wheels) to reduce unsprung wieght, and 4 pot calipers. Man, could that car handle (for the time)! I owned it from '76 to '83 and it was my daily driver.
On topic: Unlike my 335i, the Mark II did not have TPMS. I used a tire gauge.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 04-23-2009 at 05:51 AM.