Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 87 alfa romeo, 09 328i MT
Any advice on buying a new 3281 base model?

(oops, thread title should read 328i, not 3281)

Hi guys. Now Im considering a new one. One thing I noticed the car is really low to the ground inthe front bumper, and Im thinking this is gonna scrape everywhere. But still be a minor point.

I have been trying to get the best price and so far I have recvd 4% below base price (this is the price shown online when you "build your own". Good price inthis bad economy?

Any other caveats expected notorious BMW problems I should be aware of guys?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 04-22-2009, 06:49 AM
09 328 Coupe

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
My experience

I ordered my 09 on Feb 1. Paid 500 over invoice which I thought was fair, not great but fair. I got lots of options, prem., cold weather,iDrive, sport package, CA and sat radio. So the dealer made a little more money on the options I ordered too so Im sure they were a little happier.
Guess the only thing I could live without is the CA, but it is still nice. So far with 1100 miles on it, loving every minute of it, AND I still am babying it because it is in the "break in" stage.
I did the PCD. If you're close to SC, I highly recommend it. It was way fun. AND you get to put miles on the car on the way home to minimize that break in period wait.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Good choice. I would highly recommend the Premium and Sports packages. You will enjoy the upgrades for as long as you own the car and you will get most of your money back when you sell it. The front of the car is low to the ground. Just be careful when you park it. Avoid trying to get too close to the curb or you will drag the front end over it. Please don't ask me how I know.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Not a real doctor.

I've had mine for a couple of months now and love it. No problem so far that it is low to the ground, but I am careful when parking.

'Love the car. It's fast and fun and no worries about a potential high pressure fuel pump failing in my future.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I've had mine for a couple of months now and love it. No problem so far that it is low to the ground, but I am careful when parking.

'Love the car. It's fast and fun and no worries about a potential high pressure fuel pump failing in my future.
You're just saying that because you can't . . . . . . . .

Oh the hell with it.

Now that I think about it I think your garage doors are worth more than a 335i.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 04-22-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Not a real doctor.

You know... I never ever tried heroin, or cocaine. I've always been afraid I'd like it too much.

'Since I've never driven the 335 or the M3, or a nice Porsche for that matter, I don't know what I'm missing. Kinda the same thing, no?

(Besides... a 328 coasts just as nicely as a 335 does.)

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Old 04-22-2009, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: '09 Accord Coupe LX-S
The car being low isn't much of a problem; just be cognizant of your surroundings and parking-cement-blocks.
On a 328i, I wouldn't go without: Sports Package, Xenons, Memory Seats (Or just get Premium Pkg), and you might as well get Nav since the new iDrive is a lot more friendly.
That's a "bare minimum" I'd say, imo - I find Non-ZSP rims really fugly.

ZMP looks pretty good, so it's something to look into if you want a more unique look - if it's all within budget of course.

2007 328i E90 - Jet Black|Black Leatherette|Aluminum|Sports|Steptronic|Memory Seats - 5/07-3/09
Old 04-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Enjoying Your Money

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
I have a base 328i with 17' wheels, ipod/usb, and blutooth and so far I only miss xenons. I did not want a sport package due to a harsh ride, leatherette feels almost as good as leather, you'll never know the difference unless you sit on it with your bare but, power/memory seats? I don't care abouth them either I am the only one driving my car, winter package? will never use it, even my X3 does not have it and I take it to the snow all the time. Just my .02 cents. Regarding the price I paid $200 over invoice and very happy with my deal.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:25 PM

Man, thanks guys for the loads of helpful info. Now, what is current invoice price for a base, stick shift? Guess I can search somewhere on line....One thing....one site said typical sale is about $2500 below MSRP. sound right?

Im OK without do dads, just that resale may be lower, but then again, I own my cars for a loooong time. Stick shift alone will make it hard to resell, no??

Thanks again!

Joe
Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Found it......is kelly good enough?

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/NewCars/Prici...3752-1&trid=3#

looks like Invoice $31,735. Must add the destination fee of $825, so =$32,560. Thats what it costs them, right? I can add $500 to that price and see if they go for it?

Last edited by pippo; 04-22-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyBiz View Post
I ordered my 09 on Feb 1. Paid 500 over invoice which I thought was fair, not great but fair. I got lots of options, prem., cold weather,iDrive, sport package, CA and sat radio. So the dealer made a little more money on the options I ordered too so Im sure they were a little happier.
Guess the only thing I could live without is the CA, but it is still nice. So far with 1100 miles on it, loving every minute of it, AND I still am babying it because it is in the "break in" stage.
I did the PCD. If you're close to SC, I highly recommend it. It was way fun. AND you get to put miles on the car on the way home to minimize that break in period wait.
Biz, what is PCD ?

Other thing, I thought dealers made way more than $500 per sale....maybe its a myth thing .

What would a "good" deal be, especially in this economy? I mean, man, would they sell for a louse $350 profit? Sheesh, glad Im in the field I am in for work........
Old 04-22-2009, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: '09 Accord Coupe LX-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippo View Post
Biz, what is PCD ?

Other thing, I thought dealers made way more than $500 per sale....maybe its a myth thing .

What would a "good" deal be, especially in this economy? I mean, man, would they sell for a louse $350 profit? Sheesh, glad Im in the field I am in for work........
PCD = Performance Center Delivery (as opposed to ED = Euro Delivery)

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...E/Default.aspx
^Link gives me an error for some reason.

As for getting a stripper... hopefully westwest888 chimes on.

2007 328i E90 - Jet Black|Black Leatherette|Aluminum|Sports|Steptronic|Memory Seats - 5/07-3/09
Old 04-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: Car.
Dealers are now offering as much as $10k off sticker price to move new 2008s off the lot.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Aussie in Texas!!

Send a message via Yahoo to turpiwa
Mein Auto: E46 M3 Convertible
Quote:
(oops, thread title should read 328i, not 3281)

Hi guys. Now Im considering a new one. One thing I noticed the car is really low to the ground inthe front bumper, and Im thinking this is gonna scrape everywhere. But still be a minor point.

I have been trying to get the best price and so far I have recvd 4% below base price (this is the price shown online when you "build your own". Good price inthis bad economy?

Any other caveats expected notorious BMW problems I should be aware of guys?

Thanks!
They can be low in regards to parking bump things (whatever thay are called) but something that is taken for granted a lot is the lack of overang - BMW's have very little front overhang which makes steep driveways etc much easier to navigate than your average Honda etc that has 4 ft of overhang which hits the driveway or road long before the wheels do.
This really surprised me when I got mine.
So - just watch the parking stops. It really sucks when you hit one of those and you hear that scrape.
I usually reverse in where possible - to avoid the issue.

ED 2009 (5/2) E90 335i, 6MT - Le Mans Blue, Burl, ZPP(Blk Lthr), M-Sports, ZCW, Active Steer, Nav, shades, PDC, ipod, Sirius, CA, Smartphone
ED 2005 (11/18) E90 330i, 6MT - Monaco, Burl, ZPP(Blk Lthr), ZSP, ZCW, Active Cruise & Steer, Nav, shades, PDC, Sirius, CA
MY ED 2005 WRITEUP
EUROPEAN DELIVERY PICTURES (albums are in reverse order - sorry). NO NEED TO SIGN IN -beware - there's lots
Old 04-22-2009, 03:08 PM

I'm not sure where you are in Florida but I drove my 335i with sport package (which I believe sits slightly lower than a base 328) all over South Florida and had no issues with the front of the car scraping. Even the RFTs were not an issue there.

After I had the car shipped to NYC I added the front aero lip and still have no issue.

So I don't think you will have a problem.

Parking stops are an issue with any 3 Series, If you pull up far enough for the sehhels to hit the stop you will scrape the bottom of the car (and in my case tear off the aero lip)

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 04-22-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
You know... I never ever tried heroin, or cocaine. I've always been afraid I'd like it too much.

'Since I've never driven the 335 or the M3, or a nice Porsche for that matter, I don't know what I'm missing. Kinda the same thing, no?

(Besides... a 328 coasts just as nicely as a 335 does.)
I think there is an M3 vs. Heroin thread over on one of the other forums..

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 04-22-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Not a real doctor.

I paid $500 over invoice for an '09. If you can find an '08, you can do much better. (Be sure you're aware of the subtle differences before you buy.)

The AWD vehicles are higher than the RWD vehicles. Some people state that the sports package lowers the vehicle, but I'm not sure that's true with the coupe.

Doesn't matter much though. Like the good Captain and the Calgarian, I've had no problems with clearances.

Thoroughly research the "do-dads" as you put them. With a lot of car brands, the "do-dads" are silly things. I think the options on the BMW are significant enhancements. I got mine with nearly everything but the nav and am very glad I did.

Don't pull the trigger until you've done your homework. Then, get what YOU want. It's a mistake to think about resale value. If you do, you're buying a car for the next guy, instead of buying the car for the guy (or gal) that really matters... you.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I paid $500 over invoice for an '09. If you can find an '08, you can do much better. (Be sure you're aware of the subtle differences before you buy.)

The AWD vehicles are higher than the RWD vehicles. Some people state that the sports package lowers the vehicle, but I'm not sure that's true with the coupe.

Doesn't matter much though. Like the good Captain and the Calgarian, I've had no problems with clearances.

Thoroughly research the "do-dads" as you put them. With a lot of car brands, the "do-dads" are silly things. I think the options on the BMW are significant enhancements. I got mine with nearly everything but the nav and am very glad I did.

Don't pull the trigger until you've done your homework. Then, get what YOU want. It's a mistake to think about resale value. If you do, you're buying a car for the next guy, instead of buying the car for the guy (or gal) that really matters... you.
Good perspective on the idea of buying what you want, vs resale value.

The thing about looking for a deal on a 08, well, I doubt I will find one base, with manual....hard enough to find one in an 09. So far, only one is on a boat from germany. No where else. But still maybe I should simply just ask for that in an 08. Good project for tomorow.

Hey Professor, what do you teach? Chem? Physics? Bio?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpiwa View Post
They can be low in regards to parking bump things (whatever thay are called) but something that is taken for granted a lot is the lack of overang - BMW's have very little front overhang which makes steep driveways etc much easier to navigate than your average Honda etc that has 4 ft of overhang which hits the driveway or road long before the wheels do.
This really surprised me when I got mine.
So - just watch the parking stops. It really sucks when you hit one of those and you hear that scrape.
I usually reverse in where possible - to avoid the issue.
Howdja know I had also a Honda Civic?? Yeah, they scrape bad!! So bad I just yanked the lower spoiler thingy entirely. Good point on the BMW overhang being short......
Old 04-22-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBaker View Post
Dealers are now offering as much as $10k off sticker price to move new 2008s off the lot.
On a hard to find stick shift?? You probably mean on automatics.right? Ive been told there are no manuals in all of the southeast (blk/beige, base model).
Old 04-22-2009, 06:29 PM
SUPPORTING VENDOR

Mein Auto: 07' E90 and 95' E36 M3x2
yeah just get something to your liking and don't look back. On a side note make sure you don't upgrade to BMW's rediculous expensive wheels, you can upgrade to nicer less expensive wheels that fit better later down the line.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Enjoying Your Money

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmannMotorSport.com View Post
yeah just get something to your liking and don't look back. On a side note make sure you don't upgrade to BMW's rediculous expensive wheels, you can upgrade to nicer less expensive wheels that fit better later down the line.
The 17" wheel that I got were only $500 option but they do make the car look better, a lot better I don't think you can find something decent with tires for less than that anyway.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Yeah, I did that too. I upgraded to 17" wheels and tires on a base suspension and I think I paid a bit more than $400.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: Car.
Quote:
On a hard to find stick shift?? You probably mean on automatics.right? Ive been told there are no manuals in all of the southeast (blk/beige, base model).
Dunno.

But a 2008 with some options, at $10k off, could be cheaper than a 2009 "base model".

Worth looking into, perhaps.