Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-23-2009, 01:41 PM
cn90 cn90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,866
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Thanks Jared!

http://eactuning.com/e39-thrust-arms...ngs-p-453.html

Just got off the phone with Jared:

TRW Thrust Arm Stock is about $105/each.
Each Bushing is about $30-35/each.
TRW Thrust Arm + HD bushing is $280 per pair or $140/each.

Basically Jared presses in the new HD bushing for free, they have a hydraulic press in their shop! Kudos to Jared!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 PM
tomibriggs's Avatar
tomibriggs tomibriggs is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 575
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
cn90, I have a brand new driver side only Lemforder thrust arm w/o bushing which you can have for $100 plus shipping which should be minimal. Add $20 and you can have my brand new balljoint remover tool.



I was planning a DIY but my car got sold before I got around to doing it. I didn't even a chance to install those LCM chips I got from you. I will post everything in the classified section ASAP.

Last edited by tomibriggs; 04-23-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-23-2009, 01:51 PM
cn90 cn90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,866
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Jared,

On your website, re wishbone arm (Not thrust arm).
BMW PN 31121094233

You only carry Lemforder for $135.
Do you have TRW wishbone arm? Or just Lemforder?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Jared@EAC Jared@EAC is offline
Past Sponsor
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 575
Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
Jared,
Probably not something you want to do, but if you could get 4 or 5 sets of used arms, then you could offer an "exhange" program when you install new bushings and ball joints and when someone orders, you charge them an extra $150 or whatever, and refund it when you get their usable/rebuildable core back.
Here's the downsides I see....

- You will be getting an arm with an unknown mileage/condition of ball joints. Your arm may or may not be in better condition than what I send you.
- If I destroy an arm I need to find a replacement. Now I just buy a new one.
- I have to deal with guys who use pickle forks, etc and may destroy the ball joint. Then I have to fight about core refunds.

The top one is my biggest fear. I'm not sure I'd want to buy an arm with unknown condition of ball joints.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Jared@EAC Jared@EAC is offline
Past Sponsor
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 575
Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Jared,

On your website, re wishbone arm (Not thrust arm).
BMW PN 31121094233

You only carry Lemforder for $135.
Do you have TRW wishbone arm? Or just Lemforder?
Lemforder and Febi. In this case I'd get the Lems.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Jared@EAC Jared@EAC is offline
Past Sponsor
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 575
Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Thanks Jared!

http://eactuning.com/e39-thrust-arms...ngs-p-453.html

Just got off the phone with Jared:

TRW Thrust Arm Stock is about $105/each.
Each Bushing is about $30-35/each.
TRW Thrust Arm + HD bushing is $280 per pair or $140/each.

Basically Jared presses in the new HD bushing for free, they have a hydraulic press in their shop! Kudos to Jared!
Thanks Cam! Good talking to you again buddy.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Vipsa's Avatar
Vipsa Vipsa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Waterford MI
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 462
Mein Auto: 2000 528i sport
To the OP, this is the first time I'm unhappy with Autohausaz. I wanted a set of lower control arms, and they had the best price on the trws. I didn't even notice they said TRW-Meyle. I ordered a set and soon realized my mistake. I called them and asked to put a prefference for the TRWs on my order and they told me they can't do that as they send out whatever they have, TRW or Meyle. At this point I knew that there's no chance in hell I'm getting TRW when they can send out the much ****tier and cheaper turkish Meyles. I got the arms last week and I was right, Meyle. They look ok, but you can tell they're refurbished oem Arms . Live and learn. The only thing I can do is return them and take the hit on the shipping (about $50) or just install the Meyles and see how long they hold up. I did do the right decision and went with Jared's Lemf with HD bushings though. Worst case scenario I'll have to redo the lower control arms again soon .
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-23-2009, 03:11 PM
540 M-Sport's Avatar
540 M-Sport 540 M-Sport is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,962
Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared@EACTuning View Post
Here's the downsides I see....

- You will be getting an arm with an unknown mileage/condition of ball joints. Your arm may or may not be in better condition than what I send you.
- If I destroy an arm I need to find a replacement. Now I just buy a new one.
- I have to deal with guys who use pickle forks, etc and may destroy the ball joint. Then I have to fight about core refunds.

The top one is my biggest fear. I'm not sure I'd want to buy an arm with unknown condition of ball joints.
I was suggesting you replace the ball joints each time.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Jared@EAC Jared@EAC is offline
Past Sponsor
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 575
Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
I was suggesting you replace the ball joints each time.
Non-replaceable, unfortunately. (unless someone can prove me wrong)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-23-2009, 03:19 PM
540 M-Sport's Avatar
540 M-Sport 540 M-Sport is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,962
Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Okay then, I would simply get new arms each time, unless the arms have less than 50k miles or so. Why install new bushings with ball joints that maybe already half or more through their life?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM
chivas's Avatar
chivas chivas is offline
You Lick It, You Own It
Location: Under The Bridge
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 14,410
Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
lemmys ftw

i notice the difference when i do installs. you can feel the difference in quality.

i think i'm going to finalize the group buy. working on getting the # of orders to get the GB price.
__________________
americandan.com

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-23-2009, 07:22 PM
cn90 cn90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,866
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
lemmys ftw.....
Chivas,

What is wrong with TRW?
Is Lemforder better than TRW?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Jared@EAC Jared@EAC is offline
Past Sponsor
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 575
Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
Okay then, I would simply get new arms each time, unless the arms have less than 50k miles or so. Why install new bushings with ball joints that maybe already half or more through their life?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
lemmys ftw

i notice the difference when i do installs. you can feel the difference in quality.

i think i'm going to finalize the group buy. working on getting the # of orders to get the GB price.
Get with me when you get everything straight.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-24-2009, 06:59 AM
cn90 cn90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,866
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Is Lemforder better than TRW?
Anyone here who has:
- used both TRW and Lemforder parts
- has more than 3-4 year/40-50K miles follow-up data to share.

If TRW is as good as Lemforder, then I rather save $30/each thrust arm.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-24-2009, 07:07 AM
chivas's Avatar
chivas chivas is offline
You Lick It, You Own It
Location: Under The Bridge
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 14,410
Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Anyone here who has:
- used both TRW and Lemforder parts
- has more than 3-4 year/40-50K miles follow-up data to share.

If TRW is as good as Lemforder, then I rather save $30/each thrust arm.
you don't have to use them to know the difference. just doing the installs, you can feel it. it's like bewbs... you know you're feeling crappy ones even if you're blindfolded.
__________________
americandan.com

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 AM
cn90 cn90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,866
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
you don't have to use them to know the difference. just doing the installs, you can feel it. it's like bewbs... you know you're feeling crappy ones even if you're blindfolded.
So you are saying TRW is crappy??? If I got it right?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-24-2009, 07:21 AM
oembimmerparts oembimmerparts is offline
'Fest Sponsor
Location: San Antonio
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,532
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
So you are saying TRW is crappy??? If I got it right?
TRW is perfectly fine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-24-2009, 07:44 AM
chivas's Avatar
chivas chivas is offline
You Lick It, You Own It
Location: Under The Bridge
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 14,410
Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
So you are saying TRW is crappy??? If I got it right?
yeah... pretty much.
__________________
americandan.com

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 AM
cn90 cn90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,866
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
OK so the battle is now at:

1. TRW vs Lemforder vs Meyle

2. Bushing: anyone here used Polyurethane before?
This E30 thread talks about the pros and cons of polyurethane bushing:
http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4812
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-24-2009, 08:16 AM
chivas's Avatar
chivas chivas is offline
You Lick It, You Own It
Location: Under The Bridge
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 14,410
Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
OK so the battle is now at:

1. TRW vs Lemforder vs Meyle

2. Bushing: anyone here used Polyurethane before?
This E30 thread talks about the pros and cons of polyurethane bushing:
http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4812
long and short of it is if the bushing is bad you might as well change the whole arm because last thing i would do, if i were you, is to change the arm again because the ball joint went bad.

if the arm is causing all the vibration and junk, what kind of abuse is the ball joint taking? hum... A leads to B.
__________________
americandan.com

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 AM
cn90 cn90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,866
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Actually I was referring to:

1. New Suspension parts, the debate between TRW vs Lemforder vs Meyle

2. The Bushing. When I buy new part:
TRW and Lemforder uses fluid-filled bushing ---> if this route, then to use Meyle HD bushing or not?
Meyle already has the HD solid rubber in it (no fluid) ---> if this route then no need to modify the thrust arm.

Also using new Lemforder control arms, does Power Flex offer better ride?
http://www.beastpower.com/Merchant2/...Code=powerflex

Last edited by cn90; 04-24-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 AM
chivas's Avatar
chivas chivas is offline
You Lick It, You Own It
Location: Under The Bridge
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 14,410
Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
just know this: there is not warranty on the powerflex bushings so if they last 6 months.... that's 6 months. they last 6 years, that's 6 years. hansoloflysbmw is on his 2nd set of powerflex and it's been less than a year. not sure how long they really last but apparently they aren't "lifetime" like most would think.
__________________
americandan.com

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 AM
cn90 cn90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,866
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Thanks Chivas,

The more I think about it, I am leaning toward this:

- Use Lemforder Thrust Arm with Lemforder Bushing.
- Whenever the bushing leaks (which is probably at 40-50K, and I may not keep the car that long), remove the thrust arm and replace with Meyle HD bushing and hopefully the entire thrust arm (incl balljoint) lasts until 90-100K.

My experience with my other cars (Volvo etc.) is that with conservative driving style and not too many potholes on the road, the balljoints are gone at 90-100K miles.
So 2 bushings (one stock and one replacement) per balljoint.
Sounds good?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 AM
chivas's Avatar
chivas chivas is offline
You Lick It, You Own It
Location: Under The Bridge
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 14,410
Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Thanks Chivas,

The more I think about it, I am leaning toward this:

- Use Lemforder Thrust Arm with Lemforder Bushing.
- Whenever the bushing leaks (which is probably at 40-50K, and I may not keep the car that long), remove the thrust arm and replace with Meyle HD bushing and hopefully the entire thrust arm (incl balljoint) lasts until 90-100K.

My experience with my other cars (Volvo etc.) is that with conservative driving style and not too many potholes on the road, the balljoints are gone at 90-100K miles.
So 2 bushings (one stock and one replacement) per balljoint.
Sounds good?
with smooth driving conditions, the bushings should last pretty long.
__________________
americandan.com

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-24-2009, 10:31 AM
mmm635's Avatar
mmm635 mmm635 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Jackson, MS
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,179
Mein Auto: '02 525i Sp/5, 95 FJ80 LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Thanks Chivas,

The more I think about it, I am leaning toward this:

- Use Lemforder Thrust Arm with Lemforder Bushing.
- Whenever the bushing leaks (which is probably at 40-50K, and I may not keep the car that long), remove the thrust arm and replace with Meyle HD bushing and hopefully the entire thrust arm (incl balljoint) lasts until 90-100K.

My experience with my other cars (Volvo etc.) is that with conservative driving style and not too many potholes on the road, the balljoints are gone at 90-100K miles.
So 2 bushings (one stock and one replacement) per balljoint.
Sounds good?
The oem bushings for the upper and lower control arms are not made by Lemfoerder, but rather Boge. Of course, they are both subsidiaries of ZF.
__________________

Last edited by mmm635; 04-24-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms