Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 103K miles
Thanks Michel,

That is what I was planning to do.

New Lemforder with bushing. The balljoint should last about 80-100K (depending on driving style/road condition).
- If the Boge bushing is gone in 40-50K, then I will remove the arm and insert new bushing.
- If the arm lasts until 80-100K, well then another Lemforder thrust arm goes in.
-------------------
PS: Re Powerflex, this thread was started in 2007 and some people now have 2nd thought about Powerflex:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...thrust+bushing
QUOTE:"I don't know why everyone keeps trying to fit these "junk" parts into their BMW's. Yes, I tried it and I had the same problems as many here have had--only one washer will fit, squeaking and groaning after a few months, harsh ride, etc. On top of that, the shimmy I had move from 50 to 70mph, which is where I do most of my highway driving. These parts do not work well in our cars.

So how did I solve the problem--bought the OEM bushings and the OEM press sleeves and put them back in my car. Now, no shimmy and like-new ride again. Live and learn

By the way, the second picture in easyover's DIY is just a scrap piece of steel you need to push the old bushing out. I used a 1.4" thick piece of flat steel for mine."
Old 04-24-2009, 12:33 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Thanks Michel,

New Lemforder with bushing. The balljoint should last about 80-100K (depending on driving style/road condition).
- If the Boge bushing is gone in 40-50K, then I will remove the arm and insert new bushing.
- If the arm lasts until 80-100K, well then another Lemforder thrust arm goes in.
-------------------
PS: Re Powerflex, this thread was started in 2007 and some people now have 2nd thought about Powerflex:
QUOTE:"I don't know why everyone keeps trying to fit these "junk" parts into their BMW's. Yes, I tried it and I had the same problems as many here have had--only one washer will fit, squeaking and groaning after a few months, harsh ride, etc. On top of that, the shimmy I had move from 50 to 70mph, which is where I do most of my highway driving. These parts do not work well in our cars.

So how did I solve the problem--bought the OEM bushings and the OEM press sleeves and put them back in my car. Now, no shimmy and like-new ride again. Live and learn

By the way, the second picture in easyover's DIY is just a scrap piece of steel you need to push the old bushing out. I used a 1.4" thick piece of flat steel for mine."
told ya. so stick with lemmy

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: '02 525i Sp/5, 95 FJ80 LC
Quote:
Thanks Michel,

-------------------

They had some problems with their older design which were purple in color and softer than the newer, black versions. I had Powerflex on everything possible on my M3 and never one problem. I have had PF on my E39 for around 25K and no problems. They do need lubrication every so often, but this is negligible for the upgrade in steering response and overall feel. Also, from the post above, if that poster only installed one washer then the installation was not correct. So, you cannot blame the premature failure on the bushing itself to be fair - it is a result of improper installation not allowing the bushing assembly to do it's job properly. There is a way to install them with both washers, they just did not do it correctly.

2002 Sterling Gray/
Black 525i Sport Pics
Old 04-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
My only complaints with poly bushings is they get very hard. If your weather gets cold at all they turn to rocks. Personally, I don't think they are necessary on a daily driver E39.

TRW is OEM and is just as good as Lemforder. You'll even find the same ball joints in some of them so there is not way you could feel a difference. I'd take the TRWs with HD bushings over Lems with OE bushings any day.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:36 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
actually Lemforders are OEM at least on 540's. the ones i've replaced which were lemforders all had the BMW logo scratched off. all other brands didn't have this.

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 103K miles
Re: Lemforder with stock Boge bushing, properly installed, preloaded etc.
Driven normally, not too many potholes, conservative driver.

Does anyone approx. when the Boge bushing starts to leak?
30K?
50K?
60K?
80?
100K?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
[QUOTE=cn90;4124140]Does anyone approx. when the Boge bushing starts to leak?QUOTE]

Leak ???

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 04-25-2009, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: m3
Originally Posted by cn90
So you are saying TRW is crappy??? If I got it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
yeah... pretty much.

Don't go under any newer bmw cause its all TRW (OE) buddy.

Lemforder or TRW FTW!
Old 04-25-2009, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:

30K?
50K?
60K?
80?
100K?
There are really too many variables to say. I started getting symptons of failure at 35k miles or so...but did not get a proper diagnosis until about 60k, and have them replaced with more oem. Have 122k now, so over 62k miles (with original ball joints!) and I inspect them everytime I perform an oil change or other service...they look fine so far. (knock wood)
Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
actually Lemforders are OEM at least on 540's. the ones i've replaced which were lemforders all had the BMW logo scratched off. all other brands didn't have this.
On 540s yes.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Past Sponsor

Quote:

30K?
50K?
60K?
80?
100K?
Too many variables. I'd say MOST see some sign of failure at least by 30k.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared@EACTuning View Post
Mike is right. I did the same thing on an arm. I pressed the rubber out of the metal sleeve and fluid spilled everywhere. OEM is still fluid filled as far as I can tell.

So far everyone has been loving the OEM arms with the HD bushings. I wouldn't be scared to run the TRWs. Max is right, TRW is OEM on a lot of BMW parts. I sell a ton of them and have had zero complaints. I only have the Lems on the site because there are a few that still want them.

Pressing the bushings is a PITA and time consuming. You also run the risk of destroying your bushing and/or arms. If I could buy arms without the OEM bushings then I'm sure they'd be cheaper. What you are basically paying for is 2 sets of bushings. The OEMs I have to press out and then the HDs I press in.

Jared
Are the OEM bushings Lem's?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Are the OEM bushings Lem's?
The bushings themselves are made by sachs/boge.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:29 AM

It seems a bit silly to be concerned with after market bushings if you do not have aftermarket springs or shocks or other such suspension pcs.

And even if you do have mods like above, like I have, I can not see a good reason to go to the bushings.

This is just my opinion. If you feel differently then go for them

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 06-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Past Sponsor

The reason is not to supplement mods, it is to prevent the early failure. These are not poly bushings.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
I personally like the thought of a thrust arm bushing that lasts more than say 20k miles- call me crazy.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post
I personally like the thought of a thrust arm bushing that lasts more than say 20k miles- call me crazy.
Crazy!

LOL!

I can not see why there would be any question to these Meyle HD bushings...

Logic and common sense says these bushings are better than the OEM bushings.
But, there I go thinking again...
Don't tell my wife...
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post

I've got around 220K miles and I'm on my 2nd bushing replacement, which means its the 3rd set in my car. I expect to get 80K miles per OEM set.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Past Sponsor

You can run them to 200k if you want. They are just shot far before then.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
The reason is not to supplement mods, it is to prevent the early failure. These are not poly bushings.
I'm not talking about supplement mods.

I'm saying that its silly to change to another brand of bushings if you have no other mods. If your suspension is stock or very close to stock then use the stock bushings. That was my point.

But hey, go knock yourself out if that suits you.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You can run them to 200k if you want. They are just shot far before then.
You seem to have a problem getting the point. I did not suggest to run them to 220K. My point is to share that I'm on the 3rd set that my car has seen, and that I am getting around 80K miles per set.

Simple.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Past Sponsor

You obviously didn't read my post. I never said you ran them that long. I said you could run them to 200k but that doesn't mean they are still good. Since this is not an imminent failure part it is hard to tell when they are gone. You're just keeping a worn out bushing in there until 80k and then replacing it. Doesn't mean it is in good shape. I'd like to see one that had 80k on it and wasn't cracked missing its fluid.

This is the same thing as when to judge your struts are shot. People usually run them FAR beyond when they are worn. That doesn't mean they are lasting that long though.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 AM

I read you post accurately and responded to what you said.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Past Sponsor

Ok.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=Jared@EACTuning;4288397]I'd like to see one that had 80k on it and wasn't cracked missing its fluid. QUOTE]

Fluid?