Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i 6sp RED :)sport
Rough Idle/Misfire after Spark plug, fuel filt & Oil change

So wich one is more likley to cause a mis fire rough idle. No check engin light no alarms bells whistles! just did thoes 3 things, spark plugs, oil change and the Fuel filter. I am guessing theres air getting in/out the system somehow ? I saw oil seepage around the plugs when I removed them, apears time to do the valve cover gaskets to, but I did not have the problem/rough idle prior to the plug/fuel filt change. It only seems to miss fire about every 10 to 15 seconds or so when at idle only, problem is not present when running above idle. The plugs were pre gaped I asume, they were the NGK brand with 2 conductors on each side styling, the same as I pulled from the car.

Side note did the royal purple transmission fluid (at same time as above items) change and it CURED all my whoes for shifting. I tried Redline brand first and it was the same as the fluid that must have been 125K old, it made cold mornings very hard to deal with. Royal purple syncromesh ROCKS ! no cold morning shifts, super slick 2'nd gear shifting all the time now WOW
Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Ddid you torque the plugs to spec? Did you spill oil on them when installing them? Do you need to do the coils and stuff too maybe? Are they all solidly plugged in? Check for codes that aren't setting off the CEL.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 04-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
THere are coil ground straps on each bank. Are they tight at both ends?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Yea I made sure of that ground straps in place, took my time on this job. I pluged in the Peak r5 tool and got a 28 2d code indicating 28 Catalyst efficiency, Cyl 1-4
2d Catalyst efficiency, Cyl 5-8. What is that ? sounds like after cat o2 sensors ? I just took the car to an exaust shop ( to look at my FUTURE magnaflow muffler options) to have it up on a rack to look at the exhaust but I was there the whole time, could a wire be loose on both units ? weird all 8 cyl have it ( did they do something there at the shop ? The car was acting up prior to the visit tho. . . so dout they did anythging thats bizar. or am I still looking at something I did earlier, fuel filter,spark plug oil filter. Or did something else sneak up on me and did she get the swine flu over the weekend ?
What is the speck again for the SPk plug torque in Ft lbs ?

Last edited by Cool-dadio97; 04-28-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: not a BMW
My first thoughts were the ones already suggested; loose grounds, correct torque on plugs, oil on the plugs. However, one thing caught my attention that others may want to weigh in on. It's the NGK plugs.

Now I'm not knocking NGK plugs. I love them in my Honda. I tried Bosch plugs in my Honda once and got mis-fires galore, even though the were recommended to work. Then I heard the saying; German plugs in German cars and Japanese plugs in Japanese cars.

I know you had NGKs in the car and replaced them with like plugs. Could be the newer plugs are identifying another issue, such as aging coils. Might want to consider Bosch plugs.

This is just an idea to consider and I can't say it is a for sure solution. But let's see if it helps cook up some other ideas for you.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 PM
livin the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
it could be oil gettin in there still. take the plugs back out, and see. change the vc gasket. also i had a plug work itself loose. don't know why, but heard it happens. and the brand of plugs doesn't matter either.
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Some say...

Mein Auto: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool-dadio97 View Post
Yea I made sure of that ground straps in place, took my time on this job. I pluged in the Peak r5 tool and got a 28 2d code indicating 28 Catalyst efficiency, Cyl 1-4
2d Catalyst efficiency, Cyl 5-8. What is that ? sounds like after cat o2 sensors ? I just took the car to an exaust shop ( to look at my FUTURE magnaflow muffler options) to have it up on a rack to look at the exhaust but I was there the whole time, could a wire be loose on both units ? weird all 8 cyl have it ( did they do something there at the shop ? The car was acting up prior to the visit tho. . . so dout they did anythging thats bizar. or am I still looking at something I did earlier, fuel filter,spark plug oil filter. Or did something else sneak up on me and did she get the swine flu over the weekend ?
What is the speck again for the SPk plug torque in Ft lbs ?
Maybe it's your cats?? Do you hear a rattle? Try tapping it with your hand and see if it rattles..

Do you have the fuel filter in the right direction?
Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 AM

I re-set the code and have not had it come back ( so far for 2 full days of driving), rough idle is still there, also the car smells rich when warm and at idle. looks like Ill be doing the sniffer test. Possibly the CCV check/replacement. Who has the link for the best write up with pictures for the CCV replacement ? Man I need to get a Bently manual ! I'll buy one soon. Hey the CCV is it on the rear of the motor ? or the front, I keep hearing about the PITA it is to get to something on the front removing intake etc. . but I see a spot on the rear of the motor where the brake booster hooks into that Y's to somewhere else, the output on the motor is the spot where it has 7? somewhat hard to get to bolts that hold on a plate that has an Orange gasket ? I have oil residue on the little Valve thing that goes inline to the brake booster, could really be the CCV is leaking back there ?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:05 AM
1SCK530

Mein Auto: 530i M-Sport
gotta help me out...CCV?

"Lets Hug it out B*tch!"
Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 PM

Um ither CCV or CVV is the Crank case valve.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
supermna072000, take note

supermna072000, get rid of those plugs! Here's why:

My 540i was missing badly at engine speeds below 2000 RPMs. I pulled all the Bosch Plus 4 plugs, and found that one had NO ELECTRODES, and another had only one! Both plugs were also finger-loose, and there had been blow-by through the threads.

Itís very possible that I did not properly torque these plugs when I installed them, and they loosened up. However, others have had them loosen up, even with proper torquing.

Once loose, the plugs could not transfer heat to the head, and probably got hot enough to loosen the electrodes, or even vaporize them.

The plugs were in there for 10K miles.

I replaced them with Bosch F7LDCRs, which are copper-core, 2-electrode plugs, and are specified for this model year.

There appears to be no permanent damage. The engine sounds and works fine, with no extraneous noise. I may have been lucky.

The moral of the story is to replace the plugs with what BMW says should be in there, as many of you have advocated!

Copyright 2002 Edward S. Jacklitch

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Start by going back over your work as suggested. Don't chase after other stuff until you have confirmed all the things you touched previously. A loose spark plug (yes, they can back out of not tightened sufficiently) or some other little thing could be causing this. Eliminate them first, before chasing other possibilities.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
If the car is a 540 its on the back side of the intake manifold. It is hard to do with/out taking the manifold off, but it can be done. With the car idling you should be able to feel it with your bare hand, a bit of a vacuum. And your car feels like its not running correctly.

Its all IF, if the CCV is the problem.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 05-04-2009, 04:39 AM

Mein Auto: '94 325IS and '97 528I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison5 View Post
My first thoughts were the ones already suggested; loose grounds, correct torque on plugs, oil on the plugs. However, one thing caught my attention that others may want to weigh in on. It's the NGK plugs.

yes, yes, yes!!!!
German plugs for German cars! Go with Bosch as I tried NGK on my E36 and when I took off the valve cover, the coils were actually labeled Bosch...I put them in anyway, and it ran like crap! Took them out, gave them to my honda buddy for $20, bought Bosch...ran like a top!!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 AM

O.K. picking up some Bosh plugs from BMW this afternoon GEEZ 9.66 Ea but if they run better than the 4.99 NGk's well worth it. also NAPA carried a BOSH 4044? plug he said was a 2 prong that suposedly crossed over to my rig they were 4.99 each but I have a very early 97 build it was built in like 4/96. So there is some trickey stuff going on there I think about plugs. Ill just eat this one and try dealer. Foudn out it's 18Ftlbs of torque to tighten each plug. I could have over tightened them last time a bit I dont rember exactly the Ft lbs I used ?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Some say...

Mein Auto: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool-dadio97 View Post
O.K. picking up some Bosh plugs from BMW this afternoon GEEZ 9.66 Ea but if they run better than the 4.99 NGk's well worth it. also NAPA carried a BOSH 4044? plug he said was a 2 prong that suposedly crossed over to my rig they were 4.99 each but I have a very early 97 build it was built in like 4/96. So there is some trickey stuff going on there I think about plugs. Ill just eat this one and try dealer. Foudn out it's 18Ftlbs of torque to tighten each plug. I could have over tightened them last time a bit I dont rember exactly the Ft lbs I used ?
If you tell me the last seven digits of your vin I can tell you what the bosch part number is.

Or you can go here and do it yourself..
http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online...obiletradition

Last edited by TheStig; 05-07-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 6/98 540i/6
Similar problem after VC gasket/plug change. I had one loose coil.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 PM

No loose anything. BUT !
Theres a big diff between the NGK and Bosh I got from dealer vs NGK @ napa ! The electrode stick out on the NGK ans the crush seal is different. So far with the BOSH plugs car is running smooth at idle. Ill show some pictures on the next post of what Im talking bout.