Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW335i
Save Money?

Who really thinks doing ED is about saving money? .............. They have apparently never traveled to Europe before.

My accountant would advise against spending $7,000 to save $3,000. Doesn't add up.....

It could possibly be 140mph on the Autobahn? Or perhaps driving my car along the Amalfi Coast?

No................ it's just the money.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Xdrive
Lame
Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompdx View Post
ORLY is only classy if you got YARLY on the back plate. In that case I'd love it.

Overall I'm not a big fan of euro plates in the usa, even worse if you have both on.
+10

Every now and then I see it in San Diego and roll my eyes. ED was fun but come on...
Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBecks View Post
Who really thinks doing ED is about saving money? .............. They have apparently never traveled to Europe before.

My accountant would advise against spending $7,000 to save $3,000. Doesn't add up.....

It could possibly be 140mph on the Autobahn? Or perhaps driving my car along the Amalfi Coast?

No................ it's just the money.
The "savings" = a trip. Not sure how you get to a $7k figure. I didn't come close to breaking 3k on my 2 week ED trip.

And it was worth it just to drive on the autobahn, in the alps and along France's southern coast. That's where the memories are priceless.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Wannabes.

Same phenomenon as stupid folks who turn on their fog lamps under sun.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Pok Gai 1.0

Mein Auto: '09 E92 335i M-Sport
it's the same thing as the poseurs who went skiing about 5 years and still have the lift ticket attached to their coat zipper
Old 05-09-2009, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: '08 e92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
The "savings" = a trip. Not sure how you get to a $7k figure. I didn't come close to breaking 3k on my 2 week ED trip.

And it was worth it just to drive on the autobahn, in the alps and along France's southern coast. That's where the memories are priceless.
3k in 2 weeks? Did you stay in hostels? 6k for me in two weeks, and the weak dollar didn't help at all.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
I think it's cool. Good to know when someone is an enthusiast. There's a lot of M6's in La Jolla, but when I see one with the ED tag I know he really is into it.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
i'm just bothered you even jokingly said you considered kicking your girlfriend out over a comment about a car.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 335iC ED 14-Oct-08
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaynemd View Post
So last night I was driving downtown to have dinner and this M5(circa 2001) was following me. We exit at the same street and it pulls up next to me. I look over and it has a European license plate visible under the Oregon plate. Just as I am about to comment at how stupid it looks, my girlfriend says "I love the German plate under the Oregon plate..." I was disgusted. I fought off the urge to pull over and kick her out of the car and instead thought I would poll the bimmerfest folks. So which is it? Tacky or tasteful?

I mean, is it really necessary to "prove" to others that you traveled to Munich to pick up your car for a 7% discount?

ML
He paid his money he gets to do whatever he wants with his plate. Unless you gave him the money to buy his car, I don't believe you get to decide what he should do.

That said, I believe you should use one or the other -- not sure of the point of both.

I use tape to put on my Euro plate which I only use for BMW CCA meets/events -- most of the rest of the time I am without a front plate even though my state requires one.

I don't like the look of the car with the US plates and I actually like the Euro plates better.

And, BTW -- Euro Delivery is more than saving money on the car -- it was a thrill to see the sites and drive the AutoBahn and cannot wait to go back.

Off topic:

As a matter of course, as more states start looking for more revenue with speed cameras and red light cameras, there is going to be more enforcement of front plates. I also saw in NJ where some a-hole passed a bus and killed a kid and fled -- the news made a point that the driver had no front plate and nobody got the rear plate -- so stuff like that will make front plate laws more enforceable.