Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i
BSW Stage I Speaker Upgrade - Standard Audio

Just now ordered Stage I upgrade for my Standard Audio. Gave me 10% discount being member here, free tool kit and free shipping.

Lets see how the install goes, plan to do it myself, and see how it peforms!

Please let me know if there are any tips or to watch out while installing, etc.
2009 535i BSM/NB/Prem pkg, Sport pkg, comfort access, Navigation, Sport Transmission with Shift Paddles, PDC, Heated Front Seats, iPod and USB Adaptor, Satellite Radio, BSW Stage 1 Speaker upgrade, JBL MS8 DSP, Technic Harness and BMW Individual co-axial center speaker ==> Superb Custom LOGIC 7, New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires! Route 66 Extended Warranty till 5+yrs:1/26/2018 or 100k miles, Beyern Spartan Chrome Concave Rotary Forged Wheels 18x8.5 ET15, 18x9.5 ET25.
Ads by Google
Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerrg View Post
Just now ordered Stage I upgrade for my Standard Audio. Gave me 10% discount being member here, free tool kit and free shipping.

Lets see how the install goes, plan to do it myself, and see how it peforms!

Please let me know if there are any tips or to watch out while installing, etc.
I just installed it myself. Not bad at all, really. The one thing I noticed was that, despite the continuous bold, red, flashing, begging and pleading to WATCH THE INSTALLATION VIDEOS ON THE WEBSITE in the installation guide, the videos were nowhere to be found on the site. But no matter, it was really quite easy. The toolkit is good to have, although I mostly used the blue pry-bar to get under the panels, along with a torx driver here and there. There is much more than that in the kit.

I did break one tab on my car's fitment - on the tweeter covering wing on the passenger door. It happened when I was prying that piece off and I am not sure how I would avoid doing the same thing again if I were installing another car. It just sort of happened.

All in all, a very worthy upgrade. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:11 PM

More good news

Got a call from Local BSW staff, he lives close to me, he is going to personally drop off the speaker set tomorrow early morning. I should be all set by afternoon tomorrow on install and start enjoying.

Super fast shipping as I live in Atlanta, ATL ROCKS!
2009 535i BSM/NB/Prem pkg, Sport pkg, comfort access, Navigation, Sport Transmission with Shift Paddles, PDC, Heated Front Seats, iPod and USB Adaptor, Satellite Radio, BSW Stage 1 Speaker upgrade, JBL MS8 DSP, Technic Harness and BMW Individual co-axial center speaker ==> Superb Custom LOGIC 7, New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires! Route 66 Extended Warranty till 5+yrs:1/26/2018 or 100k miles, Beyern Spartan Chrome Concave Rotary Forged Wheels 18x8.5 ET15, 18x9.5 ET25.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 AM

I got them this morning around 8:30 like promised delivered to my home! thx to BSW.

It took me about 2 hours to do the both fronts, first one took little longer, passenger door is almost same, except there are 3 7mm nuts that side compared one on nut on driver side! 2009 535 atleast. I didnt need to remove all connections like guide says except speaker connections. The Door hanlde light and any other connections may come loose, so make sure they are back in place.

Back speakers are a breeze to replace. Took 15 mins both! The Torx bolt that we got front doors is on back ones too! Simply pry out and unbolt does the back side!

Now the evaluation starts, I want to check them out before I say anything.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545
Please let us know what you all think, especially anyone that has the logic 7 upgrade.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 PM

I am still trying to see what I got on standard audio upgrade. Initial feeling to ears sounded almost the same, not sure what are the changes that BSW speakers should bring into picture.

When I sit in my wife's MDX, music sounds better and stronger. I dont get that feeling even after swap.

Still trying to evaluate and see what I get out of it!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 08 528i
bsw speakers for e60

Hi Bimmerrrg,
How do you feel about your speaker upgrade now? I am really curious as i am about ready to order the bsw, I have an 08 528i. Is it worth an upgrade?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: '09 535i
Still love my upgrade. Wondering if upgrades will be available for the 2011 F10.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
I just ordered this kit and will be installing it this weekend (hopefully) along with the SWS-8 subwoofer replacement (off eBay). Subs will be amped independently, other speakers will be just drop-in replacement to stock BMW system.

BSW was offering a nice discount when I contacted them 2 weeks ago that made me jump on the purchase. I'm anticipating the most noticeable change to be the subwoofer upgrade (stock are 6.5" drivers, I believe), but we'll see how much the BSW changes things (stock amp limits potential improvements, I believe).
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Hello Bimmerrrg
Wandering how the upgrade worked out, I am considering Stage 1 along with BSW amp. I have 2009 535i with standard sound system, been looking at other options but this looks the best so far, unless I want to drop more $ for dealer installed Logic 7 IF they can do it that is......
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiotrK69 View Post
Hello Bimmerrrg
Wandering how the upgrade worked out, I am considering Stage 1 along with BSW amp. I have 2009 535i with standard sound system, been looking at other options but this looks the best so far, unless I want to drop more $ for dealer installed Logic 7 IF they can do it that is......
Snap, they didn't have the amp upgrade when I ordered two weeks ago. Is this new, or was it just out of stock? Anybody tried it?

Edit: Ahh, see it's still in development, certainly sounds tempting!

Last edited by Newmanium; 12-10-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 PM

Newmanium, when I checked the website for BSW, it was listed with price tag but I just got an e-mail from them saying that indeed it is still in development when I enquired about installation so I guess I'll wait a bit... but I am tempted by the Stage 1, just hope it will make sufficient difference using stock amp.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90
If anyone is interested, I have a 10% off coupon from BSW. If you use it, I will in turn get 10% my next purchase (I sure could use that discount!). Let me know and I will sned the code to you.

The coupon has been spoken for.

Last edited by kjkaiser; 12-14-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90
The coupon has been spoken for.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Newmanium, when I checked the website for BSW, it was listed with price tag but I just got an e-mail from them saying that indeed it is still in development when I enquired about installation so I guess I'll wait a bit... but I am tempted by the Stage 1, just hope it will make sufficient difference using stock amp.
In my opinion, and assuming you are starting from standard audio and not Logic 7, no amount of speaker upgrading will result in a true improvement without also upgrading the stock amp. It is simply not sufficiently powered to reproduce music robustly at any degree of volume and will end up being a weak link keeping your BSW speakers from performing to their ability.

An option apart from the BSW amp is the Blaupunkt THA series. I used the THA 555 in my upgrade project. I forget the precise rating, but I think it provides 40 watts per 4 channels plus 300 for a mono sub channel, all at 2 ohms. Blaupunkt sells interface cables that allow you to connect their amps to the stock head units without cutting wires. I'm not a Blaupunkt shill, but I will say that I was unable to find as good a solution anywhere else. However, the THA amps lack an audio out throughput, so you are limited if you ever want to add a separate amp beyond the THA - and an obvious reason to do that would be to add a separately powered sub box in the trunk and use the 8" under-seat speakers as midbass. I am still working on a solution for that issue.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the info Will ;-) I agree with you that just speaker replacement will have limited results using stock amp, that is why I'll wait for BSW amp and do the whole package. I had a "high" end system installed in my old car but on the long run I will avoid such ventures...too many issues because it does stress your electrical system...had to upgrade my alternator, go to dual battery setup and of course loss of trunk space. That is why I really like what BSW is doing with the "drop in" replacement philosophy ;-)
Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
too many issues because it does stress your electrical system
That is true. I've been noticing some dropoff of low end at high volumes in my current setup, and in fact I'm having my amp cut out here and there on really big sustained bass notes. I suspect I may be asking too much of my battery. I just bought a capacitor; we'll see how it goes. But, as you suggest, my high end project is surely turning into a money (and time) dump.

And we just bought a new Volvo XC70 for my wife. We didn't even get their upgraded Dynaudio sound system, and it still sounds fantastic. If that were my car, I probably would not do anything to the stereo at all.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:00 PM

LoL Will...that is EXACTLY how my "high" end grew....it started simple enough, then another amp, couple speakers, then battery problems....go dual batter and/or big cap...then alternator problems....and so and so it went...ended up spending over $7K on it over couple years and got NOTHING in return when I got rid off the car. But I learned a lot in process.... and sure as hell enjoyed it ;-) (when low battery light did not come in in middle of the winter lol) I think if BSW gets the amp right, along with Stage 1 it will be worth $1300 audio upgrade since I am planning on keeping the car for while and will enjoy the system ;-) Next time if I have room to negotiate I will definitely get sound upgraded but it was one of those moments when you get a awesome deal on the car as is or choice another one and loose the great deal ;-) The current system in the car is NOT bad but I am used to just little bit of more punch/tighter base and better mid/high's..I am not looking to bring down the house lol
Old 12-20-2009, 10:14 PM

I just replaced the underseat subs with the SWS-8" subs, plugged them into my Punch 500 amp that I have lying around - and WOW, massive improvement.

Job was actually a lot bigger pain than I was expecting. First, it took me forever just to get the stupid protective covers over the front seat tracks (embarrassing! plus I broke two little plastic tabs, HATE doing that). Then I tried removing the entire speaker+basket on one side (realized too late that I was following E90 instructions), and broke off two tabs that SCREW IN to the sidewall on the E60. That really stunk. Figuring out how to get the rear seat removed for wire stringing was also harder than I expected.

I tapped into the amp audio harness and took line level outputs, and used the stock amp's remote for the sub amp remote. Obviously connected amp directly to battery in the trunk.

Anyway, the SWS speakers are just a bit too deep compared to the regular ones - so I put a thin bead of dynamat around the edge to raise it up a bit, and also help with sealing. The SWS had a bunch of warnings on the box that it needs at least 1.5", and probably 3" of clearance in front of the cone. Well, that's kind of impossible. So I left off the dust cover for now, but I'm nervous that one edge of the carpet seems to be touching the speaker slightly. Doesn't affect the sound (that I can tell), but I wonder if I should cut the carpet to fit the speaker.

Overall, after a quick listen, the difference was pretty spectacular to my ears - not super low, but way better than before, and tons more volume. I will say that the HK speaker I removed looked like a pretty decent design, I wonder how it would fare on a more powerful amp. 'Course, it would suck to blow the speaker, so probably not worth trying.

Next, I have the BSW speakers in a box ready to install - then I'll quit while I'm ahead.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Can anyone post any updated reviews of this upgrade, especially to the stock audio system? Is it worth it?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:46 PM
V-8 Driver

Mein Auto: 2007 650i 6MT
Thumbs up BSW Stage 1 is great!

I read Will Greer's postings months ago and actually found the Blaupunkt adapter cable needed to plug that amp into our cars. I do not have the amp yet and may just wait for the BSW Stage 2. I also have a new-in-box pair of the Earthquake 2 Ohm - "BMW" marked on box - subs (8") that I was going to install but will not now... Why? Because when I called BSW they talked to me about what their kit does (and the new Stage 2 amp coming out in maybe a year or so...and possibly their coming out with an additional trunk sub kit for our E60 cars) and how the stock 6.5" subs under the front seat actually are tasked with handling significant mid-range info up above 200 hz. Pull them out in favor of the 8" models and you will lose that ability, creating a hole in your sound. Call them mid-bass rather than subs... I buy this argument and have decided not to install 8" Earthquakes... Anybody who is doing a custom box and wants 2x8" Earthquakes for it (say for the trunk - in addition to the stock underseat units - or if they are upgrading a Logic7 car which may already use 8" subs) and wants to buy mine, feel free to PM me!

Re: install notes, I went for it and disconnected my air bag wires when doing both my doors. Nothing blew up and I was then able to do the whole thing on an outdoor table on a blanket (sound deadening as well as the mid range...). I do not recommend that you ignore this all-caps limitation in BSW's instructions, however I saw for me that it would be nigh impossible to cut and place sound deadening and do the midranges all in my lap in the car with that two-wire plug still in place. YMMV but it worked out for me. I was careful of course not to energize the car's electronics during the whole deal - until after all was put back in place...

My audition showed best results on the purest source - the Apple Lossless tunes playing through my iPhone 3GS and the OEM ipod kit through iDrive. I much prefer the sound stage and image that BSW upgraded me to over what I started with - the stock 10-speaker "Hi-Fi" system (non Logic7). Even FM radio and Sat radio sound better - just not as drastic an improvement as with the Apple Lossless high quality tunes.

Next steps are to see if the Rockford Fosgate MS-8 comes out (search Andy Wehmeyer and MS-8) and perhaps use that with its Logic 7 circuitry and a dedicated center channel amp built in to recreate a user adjustable Logic 7 set up for the car. I would let those two underseat "subs" be two of the 7 channels - rear deck, front doors and center (by getting an extra BSW driver) making up the other 5 - then install a true trunk subwoofer with amp... Set it and forget all from the trunk - this would be nice! Of course I would need to increase the power to the mains - wait for BSW Stage 2 or try the THA 555 perhaps... Still just thinking this through but Will Greer's past posts inspired me when I bought this car last Septemeber - thanks Will!

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:15 AM

I just did the BSW upgrade tonight... took me awhile as I had to redo one door after installing a speaker incorrectly (and realizing it as I was doing the other door... doh!). Installation is not too bad, and I'm really impressed with the BMW door design - love to see all the dampening and wrapped wires, it's obvious they care about the details.

I didn't unplug *any* of the door wires - set the door on a 12" box, and did everything by reaching down. I would *highly* recommend this, it's a tad awkward, but not too bad. I put about 10 big strips of dynamat material on the panel, and had no problem reaching all around the panel to install. Only thing I worried about, was the new woofer speaker connections in the doors appeared to touch a metal frame on the door. I wasn't sure if the metal was conductive or not, but I insulated the connections with some electrical tape to be safe.

I'm no audiophile, but initial results are that it sounds fantastic. Quieter from before at same volume (my amped subs were all of a sudden way too loud). A problem I had before was that the tweeters seemed way too bright, the harshness meant I couldn't really turn up the music - brightness was overwhelming. Now it's more mellow and natural, tweeters aren't overpowering. The stock speakers were quite muddy in my opinion, and initial impressions are that the clarity is significantly improved.

I have the SWS 8" upgrade (amped independently), and I have to say that really makes a huge difference (if there's a midbass hole, it's not noticeable). One thing I'm curious about is that I have the base audio, but the subs I took out from under the seat appear to be 8". I was under the impression that only Logic7 had 8" subs, but perhaps they made a change at some point?

The SWS can't get the ultra low frequencies due to simply physics, but they sure satisfy my needs. I'll try to report back after using everything for a couple weeks, but initial impressions are great all around!

Last edited by Newmanium; 01-02-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Did you guys get the 10% discount i've heard about on the forum?

How did you amp the subs separate? What product did you use to convert the line out? Is the battery in the back of the car?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase700 View Post
Did you guys get the 10% discount i've heard about on the forum?

How did you amp the subs separate? What product did you use to convert the line out? Is the battery in the back of the car?
I got a better discount - not sure if their promotion is still running, I just contacted BSW and they set me up.

Battery is in the trunk on the right, very easy to access.

I used line out on the rear amp (at the left-hand side of the trunk). Fed this directly into my amp as line-level inputs, they're already low-passed, works great. I just used the left-side inputs on the rear sub amp - black/red (+), and black/violet (-). Remote turn on came from white/violet wire.

More detailed wiring here:
http://forums.5series.net/index.php?...0&hl=subwoofer

Ran speaker wire directly from trunk to underseat speakers. If you were clever, you could probably reuse the stock wiring somehow.

Here's another thread with helpful info:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=13

Last edited by Newmanium; 01-02-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 PM

Drove around today and gave them a good listen. Depending on the source and the music, they can have a significant improvement to the music. Very, very clear. Happy with the upgrade. The weakest part in the system is the bass - at times it can feel "woody", but then other times it sounds fantastic. I'm still trying to figure out what the deal is, or at least just set my expectations.

Unfortunately, it appears one of my tweeters has some sort of problem - it gives a slight buzzing at certain frequencies, most notable in speech (on phone conversations, or talk radio), not really noticeable on music for some reason. I'm sure it will be replaced, will call on Monday.

I really wonder what BMW has against normal-sized speakers. They have large doors with plenty of room, would it be that hard to put standard 6.5" midbass speakers in the doors? And maybe go with 10" subs under the seats? That would be a spectacular solution, doesn't seem like it would cost much more. I'd really love to sit down with BMW's audio team and ask them... "WTF!?!"

Last edited by Newmanium; 01-02-2010 at 09:27 PM.