Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2009 Santa Barbara, CA sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks

Bimmerfest 2009 Santa Barbara, CA sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks
The 10th annual Bimmerfest show in Santa Barbara, CA will be held on May 2, 2009 at the Santa Barbara Polo & Racquet Club!
Sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks

Old 05-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330cic
help! stranded at fest. blew up diff?

Leaving fest I'm on the freeway when boom something poped and I'm stuck off the freeway. I jacked up the car and when I spin the tire it gets stuck and pops every rotation. I jacked up the other side rear and it does the same thing. Trying to get towed back to extended stay america in santa barbara and looking for any possible help from there? Sorry I'm typing from a phone while waiting for tow
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: '07 E90 335i, '07 A3 2.0t
You can have it towed in on Monday and we can take a look at it.

HP Autowerks
515 Fig Ave
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
805-966-3200
Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 PM
bigdaddyfatsac.com

Send a message via AIM to 04SSHD Send a message via MSN to 04SSHD Send a message via Skype™ to 04SSHD
Mein Auto: nothing
where do you live? I have a car trailer and I am located in SoCal
Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Hi thanks for the offer guys.

I'm actually from San Jose, so I need to tow the car north. I've been calling all U-haul type places but no one has a car trailer. That would be perfect, I just need to get the car home.

Thanks for the offer for the shop. I'll keep that in mind as my last resort as I really need to try and get the car back home by tomorrow as my girlfriend and I both have to be at work on Monday.

I got it towed back to the hotel for now.....
Old 05-02-2009, 11:39 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
I had the exact same thing happen to me in my E39 540 and thought it was the diff. It's not, don't worry. In fact, the next morning I got my car towed to my mechanic, pulled it off the truck, and it didn't have the slightest problem. He suggested wheel bearing or I believe the rear ball joints, though I can't remember off the top of my head.

Penske rents car trailers, I used them for my move. But, I think you have to rent one of their BIG trucks for them to let you have one (a la, this or the one smaller than it
Photobucket
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 05-03-2009, 12:05 AM

Ugh, looks like I'll be renting a u-haul and trailer.

Thanks for the help/info guys.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Word to the wise - use ANYTHING but U-Haul.

Penske was great and their equipment was in new condition despite having 11,000 miles on it. They keep a MUCH newer fleet, don't charge mileage for one-way, and have a 12% AAA discount -- on top of being cheaper than U-Haul to begin with. Their customer service is awesome - and is a big part of the reason I recommend them to everyone. Look into them.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Word to the wise - use ANYTHING but U-Haul.

Penske was great and their equipment was in new condition despite having 11,000 miles on it. They keep a MUCH newer fleet, don't charge mileage for one-way, and have a 12% AAA discount -- on top of being cheaper than U-Haul to begin with. Their customer service is awesome - and is a big part of the reason I recommend them to everyone. Look into them.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, U-Haul was the only place in all of SB that had anything available for me today. I even tried just finding a pick up rental that could tow the trailer, but no one had anything, so I had to get the 10ft Uhaul and trailer for $300.

Thank you to all the bimmerfest folks that drove past me and waved and checked to make sure I was ok!

Anyways, I'm home now, took a video of me pulling into the garage. I'll post it soon and see if I can get some advice. Thank you all again!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Here's the video:

Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Owe, that does not sound good at all! I'm guessing the diff is shot, or possibly a halfshaft.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:04 PM

UPDATE:

I got the car up in the air and here is what I see and hear in the pic and video below:

Looking up and back towards the rear and Diff:

Looking up at the input shaft to the diff:

Looking at the passenger side axle:

Looking at the Driver's side axle (I SEE A LEAK! :censor: ):

Here is the video of me spinning the wheel from both sides, one at a time.
Note: At first, when I got the car up and spun one wheel, the wheel on the other side spun in the opposite direction by itself. Then eventually it stopped.
By the time I took the videos, the other wheel wouldn't move by itself when I would spin the opposite side.
I hear a faint "Clunk" each time the wheel goes around, but nothing like the loud crack/pop when I was driving it.

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/v...ssuevideo1.flv

Thank you very much everyone, I really appreciate all the input so far.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 AM
I work on 'em

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
First off. Let me say this is a guess. I wouldn't be able to give you much more than a guess without putting my hands on your car. But based on what I hear in your video and see in the photos...I'd say something has come apart internally in your diff. The clunk you're hearing is either a loose piece of metal moving around in there or (more likely) you're hearing it jump a tooth on the ring & pinion due to one or more broken teeth. If you want to do a little DIY on it, take the halfshafts out and move the CV joints with your hand. They should move freely and smoothly in all directions. If you find one binding or catching, that could be your problem and a relatively easy fix, compared to going inside the diff.

If I were to give my best guess, I'd say diff. Which, of course, is the more expensive of the options. If your car doesn't have one already, take that as an opportunity to upgrade it to a Limited Slip Differential.

Real bummer about your Bimmerfest 09 trip. I think I'll remember it for a long long time too, but at least I didn't have to tow mine home!

Good luck!

Marshall
Old 05-07-2009, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: Varies
again a guess but I had an older chrysler that I tore out the spider gears on it gave me a similar sound and response. They are inside the diff.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Sounds like something inside the differential case broke to me. Good time to upgrade to a limited slip unit, and perhaps a lower gear set too.