Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2009 Santa Barbara, CA sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks

Bimmerfest 2009 Santa Barbara, CA sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks
The 10th annual Bimmerfest show in Santa Barbara, CA will be held on May 2, 2009 at the Santa Barbara Polo & Racquet Club!
Sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks

Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
We enjoyed the event, thanks to Jon and Co. I will say that there could be more shade, we ducked into the car with the AC for a while to cool off.
I also paid 40.00 to park as we arrived a bit early, but the money went to charity so Im not complaining too much.
A great time was had by all..
Old 05-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Retired Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Brit View Post
too expensive entry
$6 for a tiny ass beer wtf!!

and lol at the ********* revving his convertible black 6 series with ugly wheels...what a ***!!!
he seriously sat and revved his motor over and over again for a good 20 minutes

we are not impressed dude stop being a tweeker

other than that the venue was great and there were awesome cars which is why I came so it worked for me
You cant afford 20.00 for a special event? Ill bet drinks cost almost that much at your bar!!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: **** you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwcat View Post
You cant afford 20.00 for a special event? Ill bet drinks cost almost that much at your bar!!
lol my bar is so cheap...and I don't pay for drinks there
and no I cant afford that bro...like I said, not rich saving up for other things (tires and exhaust for my truck)and trying to pay a car off has me pretty much shot. i am not the typical money bags BMW owner, I have to get the six smogged today and it's totally going to fail and I can't even afford registration...but go ahead make fun of me I like it
Old 05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwcat View Post
We enjoyed the event, thanks to Jon and Co. I will say that there could be more shade, we ducked into the car with the AC for a while to cool off.
I also paid 40.00 to park as we arrived a bit early, but the money went to charity so Im not complaining too much.
A great time was had by all..
....and you're from Carmichael and you needed to cool off? C'mon now, the weather there was great!
2002 M5 Bluewater Metallic~Black & Silverstone leather~All options~MKIV NAV~VMR VB3 Square set-up~3M tint~BT~Intravee II~Ice V5 AE~DINAN Front/Rear Strut Braces~PowerChip Alpha-N tune~Smoked taillights~Ultimate pedals~BSW Stage 1 Upgrade w/Subwoofer~e60 SSK~ZHP Shift Knob~CF Kidneys~CNS Racing exhaust~LED lighting~Hella Euroclear Headlights~Angeleye DRL's~HID Foglights~Dinan Stage 2 Suspension~CNS Racing Clutch~Sink drains~ExoticsTuning CF diffuser/fog light covers~SuperSprint Headers
Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
I think they needed to hand out name tags with our usernames on them. It would be easy to do for the members who pre-registered. Then again, it might be a logitical nightmare.
2002 M5 Bluewater Metallic~Black & Silverstone leather~All options~MKIV NAV~VMR VB3 Square set-up~3M tint~BT~Intravee II~Ice V5 AE~DINAN Front/Rear Strut Braces~PowerChip Alpha-N tune~Smoked taillights~Ultimate pedals~BSW Stage 1 Upgrade w/Subwoofer~e60 SSK~ZHP Shift Knob~CF Kidneys~CNS Racing exhaust~LED lighting~Hella Euroclear Headlights~Angeleye DRL's~HID Foglights~Dinan Stage 2 Suspension~CNS Racing Clutch~Sink drains~ExoticsTuning CF diffuser/fog light covers~SuperSprint Headers
Old 05-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Mein Auto: Black 1995 540i
My 9th year and I must say this was the best one yet!

Jon, Tim, Mark, you guys never cease to amaze me, I can't wait for next year.

You guys know there's always growing pains with something of this magnitude, sure you had the boneheads that kept revving, the crappy stereos blaring, no shade (I would suggest a tent like the one used for selling t-shirts next year, actually larger) I know these and other issues will be resolved, assuming they'll have us back.

BUT the one thing that irritated me was the NON BMW's.

Hopefully the Polo Ground's will let us use the other field to the left when you drive in for the future, for the NON BMW'S, like the Avalon, the Toyota truck, the countless NON BMW's abound was not cool, this IS a BMW event, hence the name Bimmerfest.
Vendor's should ONLY bring BMW's, NOTHING else, for the most part they did THIS year, hopefully it will ONLY be BMW's in the future.

Sooooooo, let the planning begin for Bimmerfest '10!!!! .......
Old 05-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Victory is mine!

Mein Auto: 03' 330i ZHP, 04' 325ci
It shouldn't be hard to setup ez-ups for shade next time. Just turn it 45 degrees and put two behind the cars with other two legs between the cars. It won't take up any room and people tend to congregate behind their BMWs anyways.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwind View Post
It shouldn't be hard to setup ez-ups for shade next time. Just turn it 45 degrees and put two behind the cars with other two legs between the cars. It won't take up any room and people tend to congregate behind their BMWs anyways.
Yes, I know, I was bringing 4, but then read NO ez-ups/pop ups allowed, so I followed the rules and didn't.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
My 9th year and I must say this was the best one yet!

Jon, Tim, Mark, you guys never cease to amaze me, I can't wait for next year.

You guys know there's always growing pains with something of this magnitude, sure you had the boneheads that kept revving, the crappy stereos blaring, no shade (I would suggest a tent like the one used for selling t-shirts next year, actually larger) I know these and other issues will be resolved, assuming they'll have us back.

Hopefully the Polo Ground's will let us use the other field to the left when you drive in for the future, for the NON BMW'S, like the Avalon, the Toyota truck, the countless NON BMW's abound was not cool, this IS a BMW event, hence the name Bimmerfest.
Vendor's should ONLY bring BMW's, NOTHING else, for the most part they did THIS year, hopefully it will ONLY be BMW's in the future.

Sooooooo, let the planning begin for Bimmerfest '10!!!! .......
I'm with you Keith. I was surprised to see the non-BMW's. A tent would have been nice too, but I really didn't get too hot...but somehow got sunburned I'm ready to start planning for next year too. If next year turns out exactly like this year, I wouldn't be disappointed in the least
Old 05-04-2009, 04:31 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Well, I can think of at least one car that deserved an exception to that rule.

But it would have been better to segregate those cars, with probably a further segregation based on whether the non-BMW would be of interest to your average BMW enthusiast.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post

WHY, it's not a BMW, it's a sweet car, but my point was this is BMW event, that's all.

Quote:
But it would have been better to segregate those cars, with probably a further segregation based on whether the non-BMW would be of interest to your average BMW enthusiast.
True..!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:40 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:

Audi R8 is a pos.
F Audi.
BMWs only. BIMMEFEST. Not Audi fest.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 05-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Retired Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehire View Post
....and you're from Carmichael and you needed to cool off? C'mon now, the weather there was great!
Yeap it was getting a lil warm for my GF. And its only 65 in Sacramento today.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Retired Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Brit View Post
lol my bar is so cheap...and I don't pay for drinks there
and no I cant afford that bro...like I said, not rich saving up for other things (tires and exhaust for my truck)and trying to pay a car off has me pretty much shot. i am not the typical money bags BMW owner, I have to get the six smogged today and it's totally going to fail and I can't even afford registration...but go ahead make fun of me I like it
Not a money bags here either, most Bimfesters arent. Not making fun 6Brit..20.00 barely buys dinner these days.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: '73 2002, '88 M5
BIG THANK YOU TO JON AND CREW!

It is a great venue. With that said, I think next year we really need some structure. I really did'nt mind paying the extra to enter early. Paul Cain did a good job trying to organize the vintage cars.

As much room as there was, we could've separated the different chassis's, parked the cars at an angle to make them more viewer friendly and also easier to take nicer photos.

I think there needs to be a area for "heritage" cars like the 507, Isettas, and more recent cars like the e9 coupes or M1's. I'm not trying to make it a concourse event, but I think it would be a great addition. It will also give new owners of the marque a whole new perspective and appreciation.

Again, I can't emphasize more how much fun I had and how great the venue is. It's a huge improvement.

Thanks again- Cris
'88 M5- 18" Alpinas, Ground Control suspension, Koni dampers
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/792851
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=2812
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/792793
Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: '03 M5
my thoughts as first timer to bimmerfest...

1 - ATM! ATM! ATM! i seriously couldn't believe there wasn't an ATM anywhere to be found. i suppose it's my own fault for not getting enough money out of the bank but even still. i would think someone could make a killing on ATM fees if they wanted - even if they charge 10 bucks per transaction there will still be people to use it. i know i would have spent a lot more money had i been able to get some out of the bank.

2 - barring an ATM - vendors need to accept credit cards. i had four beers and two waters GIVEN to me at one of the drink booths because they couldn't get the credit card machine to work. they finally gave up and told me to take the stuff and they'd just "consider me part of the parking crew"

3 - this was my first time there so i didn't know what to expect or when i should arrive. i knew the show ran from 9-4 but i got there early (i.e. < 9am) and there was already a line way out on the road. once i finally made it up to pay i was told it was 40 bucks. () ok, i thought that was only for the concourse parking? no, i was told, it's 40 before 9am and 20 after. so i asked how i can pay 20 and was told by two different people that i can get out of line and go to the back of the pack and by then it should be after 9. uh, yea, i'll jump right on that. needless to say i just paid the 40 bucks and went in.

4 - i wanted to leave at one point so i could find an ATM and get some money. i was coming back of course so i asked one of the guys that was working that show if it's ok for us to leave and come back. he said no and then told me they have no way to monitor if anyone leaves and then gives their ticket to someone else to come in. fair enough, but on my side of the fence you have to expect people are going to want to leave and come back. and after paying 40 bucks to get in to be told point blank no... i don't know, kinda rubbed me wrong.

the wife and i did have a good time and the site was excellent. if we come again next year i guess i'll make sure to get some more $$$ out of the bank and not come so early.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
My biggest complaint:

No ATM's

But that was mostly my fault. Kinda hard to get an ATM on a grassy field.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM
phish24

Mein Auto: 1989 325i e30
amazing. My first one and it was great

reppin the e30
Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 540iA
Thanks to Jon and staff for a great event. The Polo club was superb and the event was fun. A few thing were disturbing as several have already mentioned...people showing off and revving their motors, playing their audio system disturbingly loud (didn't know it was a sound off! Being a proud dog owner, I had to leave my dogs behind due to the rules listed. Amazed and upset, I saw a few people with their dogs and no one said anything. If I knew the "no dogs allowed" rule would be taken lightly I would have brought my dogs with me! Anyway, I know better next time. Either enforce the rules or don't have any rules at all. It's just fair. Other than that it was a great event. Thanks again Jon and those involved !
1991 VW Jetta GLi 16V (A2)
1996 VW Jetta GLS (A3)
2009 Subaru WRX
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2284812
Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Quote:
Originally Posted by antgli View Post
Thanks to Jon and staff for a great event. The Polo club was superb and the event was fun. A few thing were disturbing as several have already mentioned...people showing off and revving their motors, playing their audio system disturbingly loud (didn't know it was a sound off! Being a proud dog owner, I had to leave my dogs behind due to the rules listed. Amazed and upset, I saw a few people with their dogs and no one said anything. If I knew the "no dogs allowed" rule would be taken lightly I would have brought my dogs with me! Anyway, I know better next time. Either enforce the rules or don't have any rules at all. It's just fair. Other than that it was a great event. Thanks again Jon and those involved !
Yea, what was up with that?? I saw tons of people with dogs.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 750iL V12
I hate dogs are car shows.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiberglass View Post
I hate dogs are car shows.
What???
1991 VW Jetta GLi 16V (A2)
1996 VW Jetta GLS (A3)
2009 Subaru WRX
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2284812
Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
OUTSTANDING event and the location was fabulous. The beautiful green grounds and mountains in the backround made for fantastic photos. Driving on the grass was so strange, I was worried that my car had suddenly developed independent 4 wheel steering, but it sure was nice to walk around on all day!

Things that could be improved?

1. I hope the boneheads that were reving their engines didn't jepordize the venue for future events. They should have be warned and then escorted out upon a 2nd offense.

2. Sure parking by series would be nice, but what a logistical nightmare that would be... And to be honest, I like to see a little variety when I go to a show, so mixing thing up isn't a big deal to me. Angled parking would have improved the photo and viewing angles.

3. More shade would have been nice. (I got burnt too.) The weather was so mild I didn't even think to put on sunscreen until it was too late. I like the idea that someone mentioned of putting up a couple of big cabanas of something.

4. Even thought the line was a little long at the back food stand, it moved pretty quick. A little more variety would have been nice. My son really just wanted a hamburger. Having a In-N-Out stand and Jamba-juice or Robecks stand would have be terrific.

5. I think we should take it upon ourselves to print or write our own name tags. I'm sure I must have talked to a bunch of people that are members here, but I was only able to identify a few members at the event.

However, even if none of these things were addressed, I would have a great time and would not be deterred from coming again.

I have never before seen so many beautiful cars and cool people gathered in one place. Awesome event Dudes!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
I liked the 'feel' of the event out there on the large grass field. Made it seem more grass roots again.
It was great to meet and chat with you. I thought it was so awesome that you were letting people sit in your race car and get their pictures taken. Very cool and classy.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Flossy

Mein Auto: Sapphire Blk E60 M5
Thumbs down Dissappointed

Overall I did not like Bimmerfest this year.
Loved the venue, great organization getting into the venue, nobody really was acting a fool doing burnouts, serving beer, that was about all I liked.
Here are the things I really did not like:
$40/$20 fee to get in - not so bad if it was just $20
Not enough BMW vendors - for the amount of people attending there should have been waaay more vendors there (this probably would have helped pay for the venue as well)
Not enough food vendors for the amount of people

The rest of what I did not like much was just personal preference. I would have liked to see maybe some more BMW stuff? What I mean is actually having someone from BMW give new model information and direction. The new Z4 was cool but it was just there and nobody spoke about it (maybe they did but nobody was making it a point that this was/or did happen). Maybe some BMW presentations on past, present and future cars. Maybe not even a person from BMW but someone that knows the history and can speak to a certain model give a presentation.
My biggest complaint was that there was nothing to do but walk around and look. That was cool for about 1-2 hours tops. After that I felt like I had seen everything, was hungry and not looking forward to standing in line for a crappy hot dog or hamburger.
Maybe some German food would have been cool. Bratwurst, Schnitzel, etc.

I have been going off-and-on to Bimmerfest for the past 10 years and it seems to have deteriorated over the years and lost it's heritage in place of boy-racer type feel. I understand that we should not ignore those people that are "tuner crowd" since they spend money on aftermarket products but let's get some culture back.
Also, if you are going to cater to that crowd get some real tuners to come and get more of them! You can put them away from each other if that is what they want but we need more of these tuners coming.

Maybe some demonstrations of how to perform common upgrades on more popular models.

I really liked Bimmerfest when it first started it was really cool and had alot to offer but it now seems to be more flash and no substance.

The trick (as with modifying your own BMW) is to have some flash with alot of substance! Not the other way around.

Does anyone else feel the same?