Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 AM
David

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i Sport ^_^
Anyone have any links on the replacement sections to replace the peeling trim, the center console part is the part that bothers me. Like on the sides and stuff

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
I guess I'm not alone. The driver's side door handle is peeling badly in my '07 335i. I'm sure this isn't covered in the CPO warranty, so I guess I'll have to suck it up and order the part. Can anybody that's already done this tell me about what I should expect to pay?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i Sport
my steering wheel did that...I repainted it! Problem fixed!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 PM
David

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i Sport ^_^
What did you repaint it with? Thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I would like to know what you painted the steering wheel with - I would like to stop the peeling on my driver's side door handle. I was thinking of applying a thin coat of epoxy resin.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb1 View Post
The problem is also worse in the US because many people here still use that ArmorAll crap to "protect" their interior. The only thing that ArmorAll is good for is to peel your soft touch surfaces.
What is a good product to clean soft touch surfaces without risking damage?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbell1 View Post
my steering wheel did that...I repainted it! Problem fixed!!!!!!!!
Has anyone else done this? I have worn paint near the outer diameters, where rubbing (thumbs) naturally occurs.

It looks like the original paint was more of a 'matte' finish, and when rubbed off, it appears to be generally glossy.

I do prefer the 'matte' look, but most of all I prefer uniformity.

If I am to paint it, is there a simple process here for removal? I don't want to accidentally deploy my airbag!

I assume I should remove all of the remaining 'matte' paint to get a uniform appearance after re-painting. Any suggestions/recommendations for a best procedure for that?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i Sport
I fixed mine...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post6852549
Old 05-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci
My steering wheel is now white where you could let your thumbs rest. What did you paint yours with exactly? Was just going to swap the steering wheel out but was worried about install of air bag.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:59 PM
A -n- P

Mein Auto: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbell1 View Post

I also have 2 small areas on my sterring wheel where the BMW text has worn off....I must try this method.

I really need some beige for my door pull handles
Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
I have 2007 328i that I just bought used and the door handles are peeling already.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
"2007" "just bought" "used" "peeling already"

The vehicle is roughly 5 years old. The fact that you just bought it doesn't make it more new.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
"2007" "just bought" "used" "peeling already"

The vehicle is roughly 5 years old. The fact that you just bought it doesn't make it more new.
Glad you pointed that out. I had a 2004 Acura RSX that had no peeling of anything anywhere. Just saying BMW needs to get their **** together.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:30 AM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morketh View Post
Glad you pointed that out. I had a 2004 Acura RSX that had no peeling of anything anywhere. Just saying BMW needs to get their **** together.
They did - they changed the surface several years ago.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernupe View Post
See if your dealer will do a "goodwill" repair since it is a known issue.
I had my local Indianapolis dealer write up a quote for me:

Driver's side door handle - $410.55
Passenger side door handle - $1552.73
Rear console cover - $369.77

A grand total of $2333.05 to repair some peeling paint. So much for "goodwill"!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaIndy View Post
I had my local Indianapolis dealer write up a quote for me:

Driver's side door handle - $410.55
Passenger side door handle - $1552.73
Rear console cover - $369.77

A grand total of $2333.05 to repair some peeling paint. So much for "goodwill"!

Time for a visit to the salvage yard or www.car-part.com

I know there is effective touch up paint, but I don't know anything about it. My car had the door trim replaced under warranty. But before I bought it it had some wear on the console where the seat belt buckle goes into the latch. It was there when they took the pictures for the internet ad, but when I got the car it had been touched up. It looks very good. If I didn't know the wear was there previously I would be hard pressed to tell that anything had been done.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 06-06-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 AM

They said the reason for the passenger side door being so expensive is that the entire door panel has to be replaced. I could probably peel off the remaining paint or touch-up that particular handle.

Thanks for the link.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: Acura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morketh View Post
Funny, I have the exact same vehicle (2004 RSX Type-S) and the interior plastic still looks perfect as well, even after 9 years in the Texas heat. I'm seriously looking at replacing it with a BMW right now. I've always wanted a German sedan ever since my dad brought a home a Mercedes from Germany when I was 3 years old. That was in 1967, when most Americans had never seen or even heard of Mercedes or BMW. It's funny, back then most people hated the look of his 280SEL sedan. In the 60's era of swooping American car designs, people thought it looked "boxy." It wasn't until the mid-70's that the German auto market really took off in America.

I'm now having second thoughts though. I went and looked at CPO BMW models in the 2008-2010 range and noticed several already had paint peeling around the power window switches, console, etc. I'm willing to deal with the potential mechanical issues that may arise, but having to worry about paint peeling on a $50K vehicle is simply unacceptable to me. Nothing makes a car look more worn out and aged than peeling interior plastics.

I posted a message about this very issue recently, but the site moderator apparently refused to let it publish. It will be interesting to see if the post appears. Sorry, but I refuse to accept substandard quality, no matter who makes it. Car owners need to hold the manufacturer's feet to the fire if they want to see issues like this resolved and avoided in the future. Many years ago, I had an issue with my new 1992 Honda Civic. The paint was chipping badly on the front of the hood within a year or so. The dealer tried to blame it on salt/sand on the roads from driving in the mountains and told me it wasn't covered under warranty. I refused to accept that answer, so he begrudgingly agreed to let me show it to the manufacturer's rep, but warned me "Don't expect anything, unless it's simple charity." I persisted though, and I showed it to the Honda rep a month later. The rep took one look at it and said "We didn't properly treat the hood paint for chip resistance. We'll take care of it. No charge." They repainted it and I never had the problem again, even 11 years later.

That's the type of response I expect from a car manufacturer, especially one as prestigious as BMW.

Last edited by Shralper; 02-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo59 View Post
How quickly do you see signs of peeling on the soft touch and other surfaces. 1 year, 2 year, never??

I was just curious because that seems like a real turn off to have a nice $50k with a peeling interior

How many of you guys have an interior that isn't peeling at all??
I had some peeling almost right way on the steering wheel of an old 335. It was next to the the steering wheel buttons.

Never bothered me for some reason.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
My 09, is peeling on the door handle and the drink holder surface. What can be done about? Has BMW come out with a corrective action, or are we just going to have to pay for the replacement of these soft surfaces?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: Acura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Santiago View Post
My 09, is peeling on the door handle and the drink holder surface. What can be done about? Has BMW come out with a corrective action, or are we just going to have to pay for the replacement of these soft surfaces?
From the research I've found on this website and others, BMW only recognized and remedied the problem on 2006 model years. But it's obviously still an issue with newer models as well.