Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 93 325is
93 325is wont start

i have a 93 325is 2door coupe 5 speed had it for a month and being the teenager i am took it out racing one night and missed a gear 4th to 3rd on the freeway.....after this the car developed a misfire but without another car i was forced to drive it it lasted for 2 days as the misfire grew worse and worse and as i pulled up to a stop sign on day 3 of the issue it turned off not blow up or anything just died so i pushed it home and we went to work on it the only things we have found so far is that the spark plugs in cylinders (1,3,5) had a little bit of oil in them and the timing belt tensioner was stuck a little bit car still doesnt run and i really need help any help is good help!! thank you anthony...
Ads by Google
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
That's called a "money shift", and you are just about to find out why it goes by that name.

You've bent valves and likely broken rocker arms. You've dinged the piston tops with the valves, possibly even cracked the head and broken off one or more valves and the pieces are stuck rattling around in the chambers. Perhaps worst of all you kept driving it!

Normally I'd say welcome to the fest, but in your case, I'll say SHAME on you. You aren't the first to do such a thing, you won't be the last, but this is going to be a very expensive lesson for you. Expect at least $1200 in repairs. Almost certainly it will be more than that. Buying a used M50B25 engine (what you just ruined) and swapping it in will be far cheaper than paying for repairs to the damage.

I'm just a grumpy old guy, but I recall what it was like to learn such lessons. I hope you really DO learn from it.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 PM

you hit the nail on the head sir lol it was a money shift but we will call this 1 big money huh lol but valves arnt ratilling or shall i say wernt rattling it would surprise you it was all sound but a missfire until it finnaly gave no rattles clanks clunks just a miss every second where it wld miss a revolution and yes swap is a must at this point something is better than nothing
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: s50 powered 92 e36 318is
yea. it is easy to find wrecked e36's for less than 1000 now. find one that has millage you are looking for and BUY IT. take what you want from it, and part out the rest. you could make 500 back from the part out easy, scrap the shell for 300, and then essentially be paying $200 for the m50 you need. that is if you have the know-how, room to do it, and time.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Been a long time since i posted but sent the car to a shop to check time it was good,next they did a leakdown test which showed all cylinders north of 175psi. Next theychecked vacuum leaks which every hose had a tear including the intake boot,they also cleaned the iacv...adter that vroom vroom she was alive i drove the car since then till now and now my issue is i ripped 2 mounting holes out of the sunframe so i got the diff and gastank out.waiting on reinforcement plates and powerflex bushings i have got a tastefull list of mods since then to being, tms shorty headers,aa track pipe obxr underdrive pullies, cai,bilstein shocks eiboc springs,strut bar,sparco harness bar, bimmerworld r tabs,crossed and slotted rotors, megan racing lcas ..my wors of advice never give up!!!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 94 325is
Go ahead and add a thermostat, aluminum thermostat housing, water pump and belts to the NEEDED side of that mod list if you have not changed them your self already. When you change them fill it up with strait water and flush the system a few times before you add your 50/50 mix of Antifreeze. ....you will thank me for this when you are NOT sitting along the road with an overheating car lol

if it makes you feel any better my "money shift" was at the drag strip with loud opened pipe on my built n2o vw Golf.....EVERYONE at the track heard it and that was the poor car's last pass ever lol
Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
When you change them fill it up with strait water and flush the system a few times before you add your 50/50 mix of Antifreeze.
I think we're all on the same page, but I just want to clarify for others that it should be a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. In other words, don't use tap water in your cooling system.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 08-17-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I think we're all on the same page, but I just want to clarify for others that it should be a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. In other words, don't use tap water in your cooling system.
I've always used tap water, does the distilled water make a difference? I'm one of those people that flush the coolant systems and even brake fluid every other year in all my cars to keep everything it better working order but if distilled water works better I'll switch to it next time
Old 08-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Aim small, miss small

Mein Auto: '95 525iT, '97 328is
Quote:
I've always used tap water, does the distilled water make a difference? I'm one of those people that flush the coolant systems and even brake fluid every other year in all my cars to keep everything it better working order but if distilled water works better I'll switch to it next time
Tap water will leave deposits in the cooling system, distilled water is pure 100% water so it won't. But since you flush it so often you might be fine

Edit: Actually you flushing coolant and brake fluid every other year is what BMW recommends. Eh, just use distilled next time you do a replace it.

Last edited by Engel12626; 08-17-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:22 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
With cast iron block and heads you can get away with tap water. With aluminum block and/or head some of the minerals in the tap water make it a viable electrolyte which can encourage galvanic corrosion. If you look at the attached table, the greater the galvanic difference the greater the potential for corrosion, the faster it will occur, and the greater the damage will be. Nickel iron is a common alloy for "iron" engine blocks and you can see from the table it has a galvanic number of approximately -0.1. If you look at aluminum alloys they range from -0.8 to -1.0 and the difference between iron/nickel and aluminum alloys is almost at the two ends of the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acollings53 View Post
Been a long time since i posted but sent the car to a shop to check time it was good,next they did a leakdown test which showed all cylinders north of 175psi. Next theychecked vacuum leaks which every hose had a tear including the intake boot,they also cleaned the iacv...adter that vroom vroom she was alive i drove the car since then till now and now my issue is i ripped 2 mounting holes out of the sunframe so i got the diff and gastank out.waiting on reinforcement plates and powerflex bushings i have got a tastefull list of mods since then to being, tms shorty headers,aa track pipe obxr underdrive pullies, cai,bilstein shocks eiboc springs,strut bar,sparco harness bar, bimmerworld r tabs,crossed and slotted rotors, megan racing lcas ..my wors of advice never give up!!!
OP, you are one of the lucky very few that has had a viable motor after a money shift! Glad it worked out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Galvanic Table.gif
Views:	8
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	459027  

Last edited by dc_wright; 08-17-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

I learn something new every day!