Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-13-2015, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: e36 cabrio
PROBLEM E36 lowering window on door opening

Hello my friends

Here is the problem and I am asking for your help if somebody knows:

I own a E36 convertible model 94

problem: both windows are not lowering a bit when the door opens as it should like in any convertible-coupe model

This particular car does not have a switch on the door striker like in newer models but the mechanism is either on door lock or handle.

additional problem: diagnostic does not communicate with car (I will try to fix it when I have the money to visit an electrician).

searching so far:
1) phone call to local official dealer and his reply was "repair only through diagnosis"
2) bentley manual e36: nothing in window chapter
3) internet: nothing found so far

Any idea or somebody who knows?

Thank you !!!

Last edited by strom1973; 11-15-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325is
PROBLEM E36 lowering window on door opening

You should have a switch on the door jamb, or door striker which is on the car's body.

According to the 1994 ETM convertibles also have this switch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1447454586.732844.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	538331

Here is the switch
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1447454849.920415.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	538337
It may be worn out or defective, you can press it with your finger and see if the window moves. If it does the switch may need to be realigned or replaced.

The switch on the door handle above the key tumbler is for the lock/unlock with the key.

Also, how about the passenger side, does that side work?

1994 BMW 325is "Feldt" w/Turner Motorsports chip

Last edited by bliger7gz; 11-13-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:49 AM

thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately this is not the case. This model does not have a switch on the striker but this lowering mechanism is somewhere inside the door probably connected to the locks or handle.

Both sides don't work
Old 11-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 325i
Ok, also have a 94 vert and the window drop switch is a micro switch located in the mechanism that the door handle actuates. You need to remove the door panel to get to it. It is held in by a couple screws - just look at where the door latches on the post. It's a lot of fiddling to get the mechanism out and back in, patience is a virtue. You should be able to find instructions/video on the internet for removing the latching mechanism. Once you have it out you will see the micro switch which is activated when the door handle is pulled. What happens is that the parts that push on the switch get a bit worn and so the switch is not pushed far enough to activate. You can manually push the switch pin and most likely it will work just fine. What I did was to mix up a bit of fiberglass,resin, & hardener and put a drop on the part that pushes on the switch to make up for the wear that has occurred. I've done this on both drivers and passenger side doors and restored the drop feature as it should be. I'm a bit fuzzy on details as its been some time since I've done this but you should be able to figure it out - take your time and remember what connects to where like the rod that the lock post activates. It may seem impossible to maneuver the mechanism out of the door but when you get turned and positioned right it slides right out - if you like puzzles you will be happy. I believe you can find other posts on this. I know I've posted before. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john kaminski View Post
Ok, also have a 94 vert and the window drop switch is a micro switch located in the mechanism that the door handle actuates. You need to remove the door panel to get to it. It is held in by a couple screws - just look at where the door latches on the post. It's a lot of fiddling to get the mechanism out and back in, patience is a virtue. You should be able to find instructions/video on the internet for removing the latching mechanism. Once you have it out you will see the micro switch which is activated when the door handle is pulled. What happens is that the parts that push on the switch get a bit worn and so the switch is not pushed far enough to activate. You can manually push the switch pin and most likely it will work just fine. What I did was to mix up a bit of fiberglass,resin, & hardener and put a drop on the part that pushes on the switch to make up for the wear that has occurred. I've done this on both drivers and passenger side doors and restored the drop feature as it should be. I'm a bit fuzzy on details as its been some time since I've done this but you should be able to figure it out - take your time and remember what connects to where like the rod that the lock post activates. It may seem impossible to maneuver the mechanism out of the door but when you get turned and positioned right it slides right out - if you like puzzles you will be happy. I believe you can find other posts on this. I know I've posted before. Let us know how it works out for you.
thank you very much. I will try it and let you know.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:07 PM

the problem was the microswitches inside the lock. changed and working fine. thanks everybody

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search