Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
my daughter wants 328i?????????????

my 18 year old daughter wants a 1997 328i .the car is 3hrs away . in pics it looks in good shape and by what the sellar says also which doesn`t mean anything . the car has 143000 miles on it.
what should I watch out for as in common problems. i am mechanically incline and I have some experiance working on bmws as I have 2003 3.0i x5. which has had its bugs.
1 question I ask is the ccv system roughly the same as in the x5 3.0i m54 engine .
and I know to check out all the electronics and make sure everything works.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: '95 325 '97 328(manuals)
I would take a trusted mechanic with you if you could. There could be all kinds of things wrong...a big one would a head gasket.
Buying this way is risky...it can either be a gold mine or bust. My bf actually got the same car last year with a blown head gasket but being that he owns his own automotive shop it was a piece of cake to fix up. He paid 900 bucks for it. A year later it's now has a manual transmission. ..we did transmission swap...and it pretty much has m3 parts.

Oh also ask the seller if he or she has maintenance reports etc. Good luck! Your daughter has greqt taste
Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 PM

oh yeah shes high maintenance poor guy that marries her lol. thx for your reply. for the head gasket is it easy to tell if its blown like ant freeze in the oil.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinboo View Post
oh yeah shes high maintenance poor guy that marries her lol. thx for your reply. for the head gasket is it easy to tell if its blown like ant freeze in the oil.
Ahahahahaha that's what my dad said to my guy when i started looking for my own bmw to have as a project car and what not lol.

But yeah im new to this bmw forum but ive loved bmw since i was a little girl. My dream was and still is to have one of each series . I would also say that until you drive the car and for a week or so i dont think youre going to know right off the bat whats wrong...it may have minor problems or big...when i got my 95 325 i was lucky that the pervious owner was up to date with all maintenance he had all the receipts. But even after that i did the basics....oil change flushed the coolant...changed the thermostat housing since those seem to fail...chnaged to water pump bc those fail well...tested spark plugs...checked the radiator. Simple little things.

I say get it! It will be a fun father daughter project
Old 08-15-2015, 08:09 AM

or a father project lol. well going to see it on sunday and well go from there, I`ll check the basics as much as i can without putting it up on hoist which would have been a lot easier.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:35 PM

well just an update went and looked at the car today and it started fine and i shut it down after a couple of min. let it sit for a bit and decided to check the oil to see what it looked ,well I couldn`t tell ya cause there was no oil on dipstick. no maintenance records, lots of oil leeking under front end of vehicle ,probally ofhg and maybe opg. so I decided to look the other way on this car.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:16 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x2,E30x1, F150
Wise move. Disappointing, but best. Good luck with the search.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 & New Member Intro Forum Mod/Bimmerfest Tow Truck
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette"

Old 08-16-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinboo View Post
well just an update went and looked at the car today and it started fine and i shut it down after a couple of min. let it sit for a bit and decided to check the oil to see what it looked ,well I couldn`t tell ya cause there was no oil on dipstick. no maintenance records, lots of oil leeking under front end of vehicle ,probally ofhg and maybe opg. so I decided to look the other way on this car.
California stop and roll

The search continues